Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another trick I use to justify engine expenses to the wife. It serves a dual purpose: to improve 2-stroke engine performance, and to show the wife that you are really trying hard to save money. It is better if the price tag is still on the mousse can when you show her your new muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150105_194146.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	2063410  
Old 01-12-2015, 05:07 PM
buggy fanatic
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool new member,new questions

i'm the proud owner of 2 fa-40a's and 1 fa-80.my questions are about the 80.i bought this engine from my local shop selling out.it is a fa-80 high-powered high cam series.it is in a black and gold box,has the silver exhaust,not black,i pulled the back cover and it has a plain rod,no bushings,it has "s" stamped on the mtg lug,metal throttle lever,and the mtg flange on the cylinder is squared off.looking through the plug hole,it looks like a flat not domed piston.can someone tell me about this engine.i,m wondering approx year,and does anybody have a manual or copy,i will be glad to pay.my 2006 manuals with my 40's only show an 80 that is aac,and mine is abc.any help will be appreciated,thanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by PSB
Hey, you guys are scaring me on this Glow/Gas thing. Most of the airplanes that I build are 40 to 60 size. Are you telling me that I need to be prepared to spend $500 for an engine instead of $300 for the next 4 planes I have lined up to build? What am I supposed to tell the wife?
You need to know that you can run a ~ .80 & up Saito on gas with 16:1 gasil mix. The stock carb will handle it. BT, DT.

CR
Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My DLE 20 actually ran better on the 20:1 mix. So far with 1 gallon through my FG-11, I have saved about $30 in fuel. I have $90 to go to even the cost difference.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Psssst trev..i can see we got it pretty easy here when it comes to buying saito engines and sloshing glow fuel all over the shed floor while drinking heaps of beer,even burning the odd shed down with a well charged lipo is forgivable.Our american cousins seem to be a timid lot don't they? actually i might take that back their firearm laws make more sense than ours be right at home down here in the capital of bogansville western australia(a bogun here is a red neck hillbilly over there) and a romantic dinner out for the handbrake is a pie and sauce and if she's lucky a can of victoria bitter beer to wash it down.By the time we get home she can't wait to come out to the shed and hear a well tuned saito screaming it's head off.Which reminds me,what's the oldest fuel you've ever run with good results?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
what's the oldest fuel you've ever run with good results?
A few years back I dusted off my Saitos & ran some fuel that had been stored in a dark corner for 14 years. 1 jug had been opened & was about 1/3 full, the other unopened.

The opened jug had been stored W/the output tube run back to the jug for a closed loop. There was a tiny amount of fine white sediment floating around. I strained it through a coffee filter & gave it a try . Both jugs ran just fine W/the unopened jug yielding slightly better idle charateristics.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 01-13-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
A few years back I dusted off my Saitos & ran some fuel that had been stored in a dark corner for 14 years. 1 jug had been opened & was about 1/3 full, the other unopened.

The opened jug had been stored W/the output tube looped back to the jug for a closed loop. There was a tiny amount of fine white sediment floating around. I strained it through a coffee filter & gave it a try . Both jugs ran just fine W/the unopened jug yielding slightly better idle charateristics.
Not as extreme, but I had an 11 year old fuel jug that ran with no problems on a 2-stroke engine (I didn't have 4-strokes back then).
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Charley
You need to know that you can run a ~ .80 & up Saito on gas with 16:1 gasil mix. The stock carb will handle it. BT, DT.

CR
Hi, please, what brand oil in that 16:1 mix? What size Saitos? Are these engines unmodified? With ECDI? And, how long have you run these engines on gas?

Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Richard

Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Old 01-13-2015, 06:45 AM
hsukaria

"By the time we get home she can't wait to come out to the shed and hear a well tuned saito screaming it's head off"

I don't think your wife is going to the shed to hear the Saitos, she is going there to get some beer out of your shed fridge!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:44 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Psssst trev..i can see we got it pretty easy here when it comes to buying saito engines and sloshing glow fuel all over the shed floor while drinking heaps of beer,even burning the odd shed down with a well charged lipo is forgivable.Our american cousins seem to be a timid lot don't they? actually i might take that back their firearm laws make more sense than ours be right at home down here in the capital of bogansville western australia(a bogun here is a red neck hillbilly over there) and a romantic dinner out for the handbrake is a pie and sauce and if she's lucky a can of victoria bitter beer to wash it down.By the time we get home she can't wait to come out to the shed and hear a well tuned saito screaming it's head off.Which reminds me,what's the oldest fuel you've ever run with good results?
haha, you need to let one of us show you around some of the backwoods places. You would feel like your shed is Buckingham Palace when you got back home. Wait, that's another island. Never mind the confusion. Larry the Cable Guy is real. I'm not sure about adding a smiley face yet.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:23 PM
FNQFLYER

Hmm all this talk about fuel. sheds and women. Up here in QLD (otherwise known as gGods country where even leftie politicians parade around in conservative colours) we try to keep our women out of the shed and away from our "business". Now regarding fuel I took a 5 litre bottle of Powermaster 30% nitro fuel to Cairns (FNQ) in 2004 (bought 2003) used some and bought it back with me to SE QLD in 2013 and I am still using it sparingly. I have other fuel of varying ages up to that time BUT I always use fresh fuel for competitions. We buy our fuel in 200 litre drums of methanol and oil likewise and nitro as required usually in 100 litre lots (but I am not in that group, the nitro one I mean) It is a club thing and generally results in a 5 litre container of 10% nitro, 20% oil costing around about $1.50 to $2.00 per litre that is $AUD10 per 5 litres or around $USD 9.00 per gallon. An interesting with our methanol based fuels. As a test I once left a litre of 10% nitro fuel un capped (opened) in the middle of a hanger in Kuala Lumpur for a shift overnight (8 hours) At 99% humidity it increased 10% by weight with moisture absorption. I think exposure to light and poor storage (access to the atmosphere) has more to do with fuel degridation than anything else.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:49 PM
slco

Hi guys,
it's late in the night here in Germany. I always had one rule: hobby is one thing, wife another. Don't mix it! 

And serious question: I am looking for a biplane for my saito R3 84cc. Any idea? Can not find a Bücker Jungmeister which fits to the engine yet.

Volker
Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Saito lovers.
I'm trying to convert my Saito 57 twin to a muli-bolt for the prop rather than the single bolt. Is there a product out there that does this easily?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by slco
Hi guys,
it's late in the night here in Germany. I always had one rule: hobby is one thing, wife another. Don't mix it! 

And serious question: I am looking for a biplane for my saito R3 84cc. Any idea? Can not find a Bücker Jungmeister which fits to the engine yet.

Volker

I'm married to my planes, my wife is my hobby.

Not sure if it will fit, but check out SIG Seagulls.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Ruffinit

Old Fart - You would be correct. I wrote the wrong prop size. I did have a 15x8 on the 125 not a 14x8.

This weekend looks promising with the weather. Will go back to the 15x6.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM
FNQFLYER

Frustrating very frustrating. This "trainer" which is alledgedly an ARF is consuming so much time setting up flaps dual ailerons getting the c of g right, it is unreal. The radio isn't helping (JR 9X11) and the fact that I have been away from "complex" programming is driving me up the wall. However the overhauled 65 (done 2 years ago) runs well and will be ready for the Nats and the 30 is in the stand ready for bench running so there is some joy in the world. Like most of you my wife is seperate from my hobby except when she comes to contests as our time keeper and motivator. Cost a bit but I am thinking her craft room has probably cost as much as my workshop. Computerised embroidry / sewing machine (top of line Brother), 3 x overlockers, 2 x top of line Bernina sewing machines put all the other "stuff". Thus is the cost of "peace" in the workshop.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:15 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Frustrating very frustrating. This "trainer" which is alledgedly an ARF is consuming so much time setting up flaps dual ailerons getting the c of g right, it is unreal. The radio isn't helping (JR 9X11) and the fact that I have been away from "complex" programming is driving me up the wall. However the overhauled 65 (done 2 years ago) runs well and will be ready for the Nats and the 30 is in the stand ready for bench running so there is some joy in the world. Like most of you my wife is seperate from my hobby except when she comes to contests as our time keeper and motivator. Cost a bit but I am thinking her craft room has probably cost as much as my workshop. Computerised embroidry / sewing machine (top of line Brother), 3 x overlockers, 2 x top of line Bernina sewing machines put all the other "stuff". Thus is the cost of "peace" in the workshop.
"peace" is good, especially with the wife.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Hi, please, what brand oil in that 16:1 mix? What size Saitos? Are these engines unmodified? With ECDI? And, how long have you run these engines on gas?

Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Richard

Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
As I wrote, .80 & up. Most of my experience was with the early HC 1.50 with CH ignition, using Klotz Super Techniplate oil & 87 octane pump gas. No mods to the engine. Ran it a full flying season in south TX with no mods.

CR
Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by blw
haha, you need to let one of us show you around some of the backwoods places. You would feel like your shed is Buckingham Palace when you got back home. Wait, that's another island. Never mind the confusion. Larry the Cable Guy is real. I'm not sure about adding a smiley face yet.
Here look..i've done it for you
Old 01-15-2015, 03:59 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by Ruffinit
Old Fart - You would be correct. I wrote the wrong prop size. I did have a 15x8 on the 125 not a 14x8.

This weekend looks promising with the weather. Will go back to the 15x6.
Hope the weather is good and you get plenty of airtime to fine tune the 125.The low speed needle is so important to get a reliable flyable engine,then you just watch it fly
Old 01-15-2015, 04:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hey trev even dumbo's like me can understand jr programming with the help of a flying field mate.Trev let me know how you go with the little 30 i'm very interested.Mate i was so shocked to read the last of your post re the handbrakes extravagant sewing machines,they are awfully expensive contraptions that when running sound almost as bad as a twostroke,any brand.I'd plot my revenge carefully by slowly switching over to jet engines..
Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Got the bits I needed to put the 65 back together. Not in the breakdown that came with them, (shows the older double shoulder crank drive gear with the snout) but since I so closely fit the spacer going to leave that one on the crank for now to see how it works. Only other problem was the pin retaining buttons were too thick to fit into the jug, so had to do a bit of tailoring.

In storage now till weather warms up. Hope to find a good test stand at the Toledo Show.

FNQFLYER, don't feel bad. I picked up a JR touch screen 10X a while ago to set up my Harvard, mainly due to the higher channel count and fact you can vary servo speeds directly from the Tx. Did not realize till I got it that it was limited to airplanes only. ***??????

Anyway, the recommendation was from my friend that used this system for his turbines, but even with lots of experience programming different systems for students, the JR manual and quick guide, and his help, (he had years with this Tx) getting the flaps to work right WITH A SINGLE SERVO, proved impossibly complex. JR needlessly confuses things by having different "Modes", but also calling other switch functions by that same name, (I mean, flaps should just be flaps, right?). There are TWO BLOODY PAGES of programming just for the flaps!!!! My head hurt from bouncing it off the wall.

Anyway, also have upped channels with a Futaba 9CAP that will cover the heli fleet as well. Think I will look for another Futaba, 10 channel or higher to cover the remainder of the hangar. They too have had some difficult to program setups, (as well as some rather large, heavy and difficult to read outdoors) but I can usually figure them out.

Last edited by Cougar429; 01-15-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 PM
acdii

+1 on the JR programming. Have a 12X, same thing, trial and error to get things setup. It is nice though that you can slow down the speed of the flap servos. Makes it much nicer so you avoid the nose up that happens when the flaps drop quickly.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:53 PM
FNQFLYER

The trainer is now ready sort of. It is getting a powerplant replacement / upgrade even before it starts. It worked out that 32ozs was required in the nose to balance the a/c. The ASP 60 weighed in at just over 160zs, the Saito 65 similar, a 115 (733grams) 24 oz and an ASP 108 32oz. So in she goesa, I hate adding needless / non productive weight. Would have preferred the Saito just to "disturb" the local flyers at the club but current economics dictate that the 108 will be used. HOWEVER there is a 120 at the local hobby shop as well as a couple of small gas engines. My smallest gas is a FG20 a little to big. On the JR thing, the flaps set up is for either "flaps" via the 3 position switch or using mixes and channel assignments. Once both myself and mate got our heads around all these extra channels the whole thing proceeded smoothly. Just got to do the engine swap and sort out the leads etc, it has a very big fuel tank (standard) and that will also require some thought. Engine runs of all sorts this w/end so who know what will eventuate. One good thing about the radio thing as well as the 9X11 I also have a 9503 (2.4gig) that is virtually the same. This is my competition radio so the future scale set ups should be easier. Catch Ya.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart, I have already played with a Saito 30 in a Lanzo Racer for open texaco, which I had to return to its owner which is the reason why my NIB 30 is finding its way to the engine test stand ASAP because of the Nats in April. It is great, burns very little fuel in both "normal" and Texaco modes while returning a good rate of power through, for me. a good power band. I have never had throttling problems reported by other guys here. Only thing not to hand is the propellor range that I used can check if you want. It was operating 10% nitro 20% synthetic. Hope that helps a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.