Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Parkzone Extra 300 thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Parkzone Extra 300 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 PM
phillipmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Parkzone Extra 300 thread

srt10 How big of an area to fly the 300 ?

I attempted to fly it in an infield and take off was jim dandy but the landing I wasn't able to drop it in a small area, for me needed some extra room for the landing. I use a wider parking lot, works well or a less traveled side street might work but caution on that. Just give it some space for landing. Handling is great keep it flying coming in and will have less issues, I actually deadstick mine in but nose down for speed when required to keep things from stalling, just pay attention and don't let the nose raise. BEST ....
Old 06-25-2010, 03:00 AM
JKIA

Ok I got a lil trigger happy...just a little and after rave reviews from guys at my LHS I bought this thing. I am almost unable to sleep thinking about getting out tomorrow morning after I put it together (PNPversion). For now I am sticking with my AR6100e. I am honestly a nervous about this reveiver but the place where Ifly is small. I will probably upgrade later but until Iam forced to it is the 6100 and me. Iwas just flippin bored of my older brushed supercub and cant seem to get my heli off the ground. We'll see just how she flies tomorrow early afternoon/evening. Might wait till evening for the rest of the club guys to be there to check things out prior to my maiden.

Thanks all for your suggestions/ help with this.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Dave55

I too have ripped the LG on landing in grass. Those who havereplace theOEM wheels - cam you recommend a brand/size?

Thanks

Dave

Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM
phillipmorris

Also curious on what those who replaced to larger wheels are using, several out there, here's some hobby lobby versions might work, likely anything near 2 inches or more is perhaps what you want. My stock Alpha 450 trainer has smaller wheels but a nice strong extended metal landing gear just makes it on reasonable cut grass, always comes in on the level in the grass...BEST ....

Again here's a possibility:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/2_1_2_whe...r_965_prd1.htm
Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Dave55

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 AM
99GrandTouring

I just lost the gear on mine on touchdown...

Came in, set her down and the gear folded back, heres some pics, it appears the mount wasn't fully glued into the fuse.

What did you all do to balance your extras? Leave them stock? Mines a little to tail heavy I think.

Also mine wants to snap / roll to the right whenever giving up elevator. a little up and it rolls kinda corkscrewing instead of looping.
a lot of up and it will snap to the right, anyone else have this problem or know what I should do / change?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29114.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1458198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72049.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1458199  
Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
phillipmorris

Curious if you attempted to land in grass ? Mine hit hard to dislodge, all my error. Corkscewing on up elevator isn't right at all, perhaps a seasoned flyer can check this out for you. Only obvious thing I could tell you to check is the transmitter, on the ground move up and down the elevator and see if you get any aileron movement, also the way your moving the controls might do this. Not saying this is your problem, but something to watch. I fly mine stock setup is defintely not nose heavy but handles to my liking todate, touch of weight there might help in your flying. Hope you get some more input on the delema...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
sparky4166
My Feedback: (1)

Check your Rudder. My rudder was warped out of the box. I had to do some bending on it in order to get the plane tracking correctly. Also make sure you have quite a bit of expo dialed into your ailerons. It is difficult for any pilot to pull up elevator without giving a touch of aileron input. This extra is very sensative to aileron movement but 40-50%expo should help.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:03 PM
99GrandTouring

my rudder is warped slightly, how can I straighten it?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
sparky4166

I just had to grab mine at the top and bottom and warp it back into shape.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:39 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew mine several times tonight and could not be more pleased. It flew really great. I had no problem taking off from grass and landings were smooth and easy too. Fortunately, someone else in my club bought one and flew it earlier in the week. I changed the low rate to to about 50% and used 50% expo. Without doing that, it may be too wild to fly at first. The pulling power of this plane is unbelieveable. I flew at half throttle most of the time.

The other plane I mentioned ripped its landing gear out. Scott epoxied it back in, took off the wheel pants and put on lightweight 2 inch wheels. I am sure mine will rip out sooner or later but flew great tonight, along with my ParkZone ME109 and 18" Piper Cub

BelAirBob
Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
badflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

This plane was not designed properly. I had 2 landings and twicw the gear ripped out. CA the first time second time hot glue. Problem is second time the slot where the metal wishbone wires goes cracked and now the gear wont stay in. If so many people are having these problems then horizon should have not went with this gear setup. Im also having trouble getting the cg correct. I had to dremel out the battery area to fit in my turnigy 2200 battery. Im not sure if the stock battery is heavier because with the turnigy all the way foward its still tail heavy.[ul]
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
phillipmorris

Just might be an issue as so many reports surfacing on the landing gear, tho in my case will readidly admit I came in way to hard and a bad angle, several landings since several hop skids but holding fine now. The stock battery on mine fits like a glove and the extra slightly smaller 2100 battery has some extra room but I just use a small packing in the strap to keep things inplace. Mine is very close to correct COG right out of the box with the included battery. Find the handling on this one is exceptional, I like it. This one moves out abit faster and just might be part of the delemas. Giving this one more room on the approach solved my earlier landing problems. I'm not gifted on landings, but otherwise having good luck todate. BEST .....
Old 06-26-2010, 01:06 AM
cubnpede82

mine tracks great, unless you yank on the elev. stick too hard........+1 on the expo for ailerons..... this helps on landings, small corrections, etc. make sure there is'nt too much elev. throw and the tail is reasonably straight. measure your elev. compared to wingtips..... there has to be a reason if it snaps bad, and won't loop straight at all....

My gear mound came out on a bad landing. Not much glue..... 5 min. epoxy and it's been great for about 6-7 more landings........ 2 of them pancaked into grass.... one at a park and once I didn't carry throttle/speed and fly it down, and it stalled just before it made it to the diamond.......... So far it's looking good so far............. and when flown in nice it doesn't mind even some rough grass......

Happy Landings,
Stay Free

Old 06-26-2010, 04:04 AM
phillipmorris

Some of our grass areas are abit long, very short grass its likely fine, so I'm sticking to pavement tho not my favored, like to hear more reports on how they improved with example larger wheels as would help on this one. On hitting an infield good luck, Hah, mine loves to glide right on by even deadstick Having better luck with a vacant larger parking lot ...BEST ....
Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
t57f100

i have mine in the box but two guys flew theirs today.one ripped off lg one didnt.now lets get to the heart of it wow real good flyer good looks and easy takeoff i beleieve what one guy said to much thrust one way elevator is almost pointed down to fly level will tell my cousin for sure.i told the other guy who lost his gear and set screw for the landing gear to takeoff the paints go with collars and get away from that set up it damaged the underside of the wing pants are a waste of time fly naked i say.awesome power if anyone decides to leave the pants on locktighte the screws that hold them on we lost one so keep this in mind.i think if the biggest problem is the landing gear then bring it my pz me109 was garbage all over.so this bird is good for me cant wait to get it out and going.even my wife wants to buddy box it cant wait. good luck boys happy flying.

remember live once fly hard then recharge
Old 06-27-2010, 03:01 AM
cubnpede82

OK guys,
Still loving this bird.... Straightened out the tail a little and the rudder is better in knife edge. Less coupling but still some... Nothing like my Gemini though... Also took away some of the snap too. I have added throw mechanically to all surfaces and we'll see how she does tomorrow. I had to work on her anyway. ... ... ... LOL
After an afternoon at the field with the gang we went to LHS and picked up some parts, and a BNF sukhoi xp..... Then went to a BBQ.
After a few games of volleyball we went to a park that's just up the street ... Wanting to show a friend my planes because he never has made it to the field we fly at, I maidened the Sukhoi and flew the Extra, as my Gemini was out of commission. Well, I learned a lesson... never compromise on your flying sites... I could have gotten away with the bipe cause it slows down nice and floats in like it has air brakes, and I'm comfy with it.... The extra is fast and this place was too small...like 1 ball field size. Normal site is huge and open, and normal park is a square field with a baseball diamond in each corner, It's like 150 yds or more square and is the smallest I will take the Extra to from now on. On a practice approach I decided I needed a longer leg, and misjudged the power line at the edge of the park. Hit it in a shallow left turn with the left wing. Spun in from about 30ft. It hit hard, damaged the spinner and cowl, broke the prop, bent gear and broke the servo arm on the wing ( I think that might have been the power line)
This bird is tough, airframe held up amazingly, I replaced prop. Glued cracks on cowl and spinner, repaired foam where battery enlarged the front of the tray...LOL and happened to have the correct servo horn in my box.... gave her the once over and she appears good to go... and don't look bad either.... YAY.. I don't have to wait till monday!!! I do plan to get another spare prop. and try an 11x5.5 I'd also like a new spinner and cowl... and I think one LHS has most of the parts already...
At the ball fields I usually fly at, if you make the circuit/pattern at just enough power to maintain level, but let the plane descend slowly as you circle, and make your last turn near the far end ot the park. As long as you are down to 30ft or so... there is plenty of room to line up... bring it down to the far edge of the infield and cutt power and land.... if you keep to much speed/power she'll go long... and too slow and she'll pancake into the grass just outside the infield.... but I got 5 perfect landings down the second base line last night...
I'm working hard to learn the approach for all my planes with gear, and to build it into habit to fly em down, and only cut power to glide just at or before touch down.... this makes it smoother for me... and is just good practice.... if you get it down and rolling it'll stop unless you came in really hot, and you can steer it before it hist the fence if you're going fast too.... but I still like the large field better. The Gemini is great here though....... as I can land it just about wherever I want, It will be my spot lander at the fly-in on the 10th&11th if I can get a motor...
Poor Gemini exited an inverted flat spin at 12ft and needed 15...LOL Rusty pilot forgot to roll out and pulled hard elev.... pancaked it into weeds hard at full power. flipped on it's top and screeeeeeeched the black smoke out of the motor..... after I got home I went to check motor once out of the plane and sure enough it was bad,.... smoked my speedo.....LOL I got a new 40A speedo in there and no motor was in stock today.... so I gotta try the HobbyPartz.com Alpha (e-flite park 480 clone) or get ahold of the don for a new KDA as the LHS is only getting Zippy LiPo's lately and I have no Paypal to order from HC..... Elapor was unscathed, the plane would have flown away after being retrieved from the weeds had the motor not siezed..... Gotta love fun down on the deck.... the stryker ate weeds and lost a controll surface as well today.... 3 for 3 except the maiden..... OH THE WONDERS OF FOAM!!!!!

Ended up getting the Micro Sukhoi, so I will be having practice sessions more often now, I wanna make a freestyle routine.
Any song ideas, or input otherwise?

My next bird will be a Parkzone Warbird, or Hobby Lobby EDF (Mig or F-86 PnP for $120), what u all think?

Sorry for the book, just excited and winding down, Happy Landings

CubNPede
Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 AM
scooterinvegas

Lost my Extra 300. Something was bad wrong with my plane. It wasn't my CG or throw rates, triple checked those. It wouldn't fly without porpoising (even 1/4" nose heavy, CG 2 3/4"), tons of up thrust, wouldn't stay level (wanted to roll over). It would harrier inverted with no stick input @ 1/3 throttle. I was so freaked out with ALL the diffrant things going wrong at the same time, just decided to land it out in the field inverted. I made a right turn, brought it back around and cut back the throttle. It started to float down slowly to the ground, so slowly, I didn't anticipate any damage to the plane. As soon as it touched down on the ground, it started smoking. I jogged over to it, but by the time I got to it, it was too late. Damn those things burn fast! Nothing, and I mean NOTHING was salvaged. It all went in the trash......... The plane touched down softly, yet the battery shorted and caught fire, your guess is at good as mine on that one. I think Im going to stick with Nitro for a few weeks/mouths as I seem to have better luck with bigger, louder planes

CG was good
Controlls were centered
Throws / Rates were set per manual
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
t57f100

there is what one guy said here is a thrust problem what might be happening is normal setup for me for madiens is a little up elevator and a little right ailerion just for torque but i think this bird has a to much thrust up angle one man here said he added two washers on his and now its level flight i agree with that go level flight then juice throttle the plane goes up attitude.over all my madien was good.this plane needs very little speed to come off grouind and it goes straight with rudder on take off.because two people flew before mine and i saw all the lg problems i decided to hot glue the base lg in place before putting wire on and paints one screw on the pants was stipped even before i went to fly it.i was going to put locktite on put with a stripped screw i put a blind nut in and i was able to maiden with the pants.the futre i will take the pants off to much trouble with tip overs go with collets and keep wheels the same or just slightly larger.i am so glad for this bird rather than the me109 i had garbage plane.the me109 i saw today made my a** muscle tighten up today.stay away from that i went thru two of those before i said ok.one man noted a gemini we fly that to and to tell you the truth that plane is awesome to land the lighter the wieght the better it will fly and you can land it on a postage stamp if nned be.good luck and happy flying to all.

foam the new wood hot glue the new ca just kick it
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Acexxx

maybe I should bring a fire extinguisher next time I fly. I need to install brakes on this thing! you have to land so fast it takes forever for it to slow down on pavement.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 PM
hamburgrd

Hey guys,
I have been flying mine for a little over a week. I have found some small problems but over all I am very happy with it.

Problem 1: Wheelpants grab in even the shotest grass so I removed them.
Problem 2: The markings on the horizontal stab for alignment were off by 3/32" causing an unexpected snap roll. Fixed with a tape measure.

I fixed these two problems and have had no others. The power is great! I will admit that my plane is very sensative to cg movement. Keeping the batterie about 3/8" in front of the plastic wing screw plates seems good for my flying style.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
bmschulman

I got my first three flights on it today. It takes off really quickly and I'm amazed at how QUIET the thing is. It's nearly silent in the air.

I needed a lot of up-elevator trim once airborne. It flies very nicely but I recommend keeping it around half-throttle if you're doing turns downwind. A third or less isn't enough to pull it through and it may stall. I had a close call on the first flight and I think that's what it was. Before you do your first flight check the throttle on the ground and take a look at what kind of thrust 1/3 throttle gives you. On my system it was surprisingly little. Since you can't really hear the motor once it's in the air you'll want to give it some extra throttle just in case. I got 7+ minutes out of the stock battery with a mix of flying full throttle and half. On landing you can chop the throttle and glide it in. It settles in nicely.

One other observation: after flying the battery pack comes out nice and cool. Must be an efficient motor and very good venting. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
bmschulman

The landing gear seem to be a problem for many people. Does anyone have any suggestions for reinforcing it *before* it breaks for the first time?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 PM
99GrandTouring

Another guy at the field lost his landing gear on his..

as preventative measure I'd try to wick some foam safe ca into / around the gear mounting plate, then lay a piece of reinforced packing tape over the gear..

I repaired mine with slow cure foam safe ca thick and packing tape and its holding great.

My bird is very pitch sensitive though, haven't really messed with the cg but I am gonna tweak that this week.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM
bmschulman

Try sliding the battery forward to adjust the CG. It's a tight fit but you can push it pretty far forward. Make sure the ESC is in the upper cut-out area, not the battery area, to make room for the battery. My ESC came popped out and was floating around the battery compartment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.