Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

FOR THE GUYS WHO WANTED TO SEE HOW TO MAKE THE 3 CLICK TRIM WORK in the STD DX18:

Just went through this and it works great. The first time I turned on I had to hold the throttle trim forward untill it quit clicking, but then it started to only need 2 taps of the trimmer to go from full trim to zero trim. Something in the trim memory must have to get caught up first.

Thanks for passing this on.

Steven
Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dustin the link is very helpful I haven't paid for the others but will.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I strongly advise AGAINST messing with the data on your SD card referring to Tony's three click trim mod suggestion, Tony, this is not a dig against you but just the story of what happened to me this afternoon.

I meticulously altered the SD file on my Viperjet to give it a try.

On Tx power up everything appeared to work fine, sure enough I had just the three clicks.

On rx power up to my horror it had gone out of bind and I rebound it.

From that point I had no throttle, the ecu just refused to operate and my initial thought was that I would have to reteach the ecu.

I then found that although the throttle and trim movements were shown correctly on the normal flying screen when I looked in both the monitor and servo setup screen monitor the tx was not responding, zero movement.

At that moment I started to panic and did a model change to check, the very same thing was happening on all my models, no throttle response.

I then did the sensible thing and put the SD card back to how it was originally, copied back to the tx model, powered up the tx and low and behold I still had no throttle channel output.

I then realised I was in a pile of trouble, I had visions of pm'ing Tony, sending the tx back to Horizon, probably having to pay them as I had been messing about and the very worst scenario losing all my model settings and grounding the whole fleet (20 models).

Suddenly I'd lost the bind again, after rebinding back to the same scenario, no throttle. I then in desperation switched the tx off and back on, the ecu beeped and everything was normal again, to say I was relieved is a massive understatement.

I must have done the mods correctly as otherwise it would still not be working correctly now, it looks as if the software took a jolt and did not like it.

The moral to this story is :- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! If you want to mess/modify software you could get into a whole bucketload of trouble, my advice, leave well alone!

Good luck,

Gary.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh great, I just did the mod last night. Has anyone flown with the mod?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Oh great, I just did the mod last night. Has anyone flown with the mod?
I have. No issues on my radio. Just an fyi... I'm running the newest fw version.

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

Just went through this and it works great. The first time I turned on I had to hold the throttle trim forward untill it quit clicking, but then it started to only need 2 taps of the trimmer to go from full trim to zero trim. Something in the trim memory must have to get caught up first.

Thanks for passing this on.

Steven
Mine didn't do that. But... after I loaded the model again... I turned off the radio, and turned it back on, so it had a fresh "boot-up" with the new data.

Madmodelman: No offence taken... and I totally agree. If something doesn't seem right... don't fly with it !!! As far as changing it back... all you would have need to have done, is to go into the trim menu, and set it again. The radio would have changed it back to whatever you set it to.

One thing though... I just noticed you aren't in the USA... so, our software may not be exactly the same.

Regardless... To all... I hold on responsibility if you make changes.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
bcovish

OK, tried it on a blank model with a servo plugged into the throttle channel, bound it and all worked as it should. Repeated turning the TX and RX off three times and still worked and did not need to be rebound..

Gary, did you pull the bind plug out before you turned the RX off. If not, that will cause the RX to lose it's bind.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Here's the conversation I had with a Spektrum software dev guy before I played with it. The bottom message is the first in the series. You guys can make your own conclusions.

AndyKunz

There's a lot to play with in the SPM file. Have fun!

Andy

Dr Honda

Thanks for the info Andy,

I was looking it over, and figured the Trim Index 0 was the throttle. And... that a step of 1, with a step size of 255 can give me the 3 step trim feature I was looking for. (For the turbine engines)

The reason I asked about values greater than 255 was I noticed the true value of either of the available menu settings wound up being 300. BUT... I've played with enough microcontrolers to know that a value higher than FF could cause issues.

Anyway... at 255... I'm getting ~95% of the trim travel... and it should be fine for a turbine ECU.

But... I guess I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know. (lol)

Thanks again.

AndyKunz

Hi Tony,

The SPM files are just text files which we use to relay the configuration between radios. It won't void the warranty, it's just a config file.

Some numbers will be range-limited and 255 may overflow. It will either be interpreted as modulo 256, or give you an error on the screen.

We haven't figured out a way for an SPM file to completely brick a radio. It may not operate properly, but it won't brick it.

Have fun playing!

Andy

Dr Honda

Hi Andy,

I know you can't give out any real info... but I do need to ask one thing.

If someone wanted to manually adjust the model (SPM) file for a DX18... will that void the warranty?

If it won't void it... can I ask one more question?

Will a value greater than 255 cause an overflow? (Just assuming that is't a value higher than FF)

Sorry to bother you, but it's nice to have a direct resource like you.

Regards

Tony
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
bcovish

Thanks Tony. As of right now, I'm going with the new config on the throttle channel.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
madmodelman

Hi Bob, I always pull the bind out before tx switch on, for setting failsafe type reasons.

I'll be very interested to see others results.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just make sure you upgrade it before you fly with it.. the 1.00 software works fine.. no fear.. but there are improvements in the latest software that I will improve signal reliability. besides it gets rid of the delay in the screen..

dave
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: dubd

Ignore the DSM2 data. I was told by Horizon that it's not relevant with a DSMX transmitter. Makes me wonder how relevant the flight logger is with DSMX.
iF you are operating in DSM2 mode, it is as before.. there are enormous threads on this subject.. my DSM2 numbers have improved 100% from the 12X..every model about the same.. numbers cut in half..

With DSMX mode.. different story..different counter methodology.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
S_Ellzey

Just checked it on mine and no problems. I did have to re-bind, but that does not suprise me since the model was re-imported from the SD card. I also checked my Habu and it's throttle is working ok.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 AM
madmodelman

That's good to hear but what really worried me is that my throttle stopped working on all the models in the tx although I only imported one.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 AM
S_Ellzey

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

That's good to hear but what really worried me is that my throttle stopped working on all the models in the tx although I only imported one.
It kind of sounds like the reciever channel assignment some how changed. One time I thought I had a channel go dead while programming, only to find out I had not set the reciever channel assignment correctly. As you said, the worriesome part is that it effected all the models. If you where ever willing to give it another go, and I understand why you might not want to, you could look into what might be happening on channel assignment. Maybe plug a servo into the throttle channel and see if any stick, knob or switch moves it. I assume that you use the same software updates that we use here in the US. I assume that you can go to the same Spektrum Community website we do and get the same downloads. For what its worth I am on version 1.03.

Steven
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 AM
madmodelman

Yes, exactly the same software version, a different variety though because of power differences, may be a clue that thinking about it!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

the thread title was: DX18 Yes or No need advise please!

I'm giving my advice. .
You actually have a good point... LOL.. I have to take your side on that comment...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Hi All
Before buying the DX18 Tx I have been using Spectrum DSM since the first day it was released here in the UK and on several different TXs both modular and built in
In that time and wile flying many many airframes in both competitions here and abroad and sports flying have had no unexplained issues.
I have had one lockout that was battery related 4 years ago and one other expensive lock out that was a software issue on a DX8.
This is over years and many hundreds in fact thousands of flights with my own airframes and many I have built for customers from small foamys to large jets.

I bought my DX18 about 4-5 months ago to replace my JR12X in a bid to both upgrade to DSMX and a small protest against being abandand tec wize by JR Mcgregger
Its first time out was in a well proven airframe a 30cc Extra, it on its third flight tucked violently down from a steady cruse at 100 feet up, 200 feet away right in front of me.
The symptoms were full down half aileron and power still on IE "no fail safe" It was only a second away from the ground so completely destroyed the airframe.
A range test on the Tx and crashed Rx with its duel battery's along with the servos all worked fine after the crash I was at a loss as to why this happened.
Over a few weeks the Tx was then only used on small foamy's, slowly committing it to larger airframes the Tx proved to be reliable, the Rx etc was of course disposed of.
From this I concluded that it just was bad luck, or an RF swamping issue but def not pilot error, I will admit if I get it wrong but bystanders could see it clearly was not.
This last time I used the DX18 was just before Xmas and it had had by then a few hundreds flights many of them with my JL Viper Jetflying high,fast,far and low with no issues.
On a fast pass, left to right about 100 feet up 300 feet down wind flying away just as I was going to ease back on the stick to climb starting a reversal all hell broke lose.
The Viper violently lurched up and to the left away from me, froze for a moment climbed about 300 feet then did the same thing but this time ending up facing the ground.
It stayed wings level at about 60deg downward right side up until it struck the ground still at full power with the obvious consequences but fortunately no fire.
These few moments from lose of control till striking the ground took about 4-5 seconds in which time my spotter clearly saw my Tx held high with the throttle back.
At no time did I have control, it did not enter fail safe and did not throttle back or allow the ECU to cut the engine IE it was receiving something but not anything usfull from me.
The mess was cleared up and despite the Rx and it duel battery's being in a very bad way they still worked on a range check as did all the servos.
When back at the pits I discussed the incident with other flyers that were watching my spotter and all concluded it was an old fashioned "Glitch"
This simply shouldn't, cant happen with 2.4, since the PCM days and now this very encoded system we use ether it works or it dosent.
20 minuets after that crash I pulled out my "end of the day" model a foamy Acro Wot, using the DX18 still with a very good charge had a test flight in the same area.
It was quit a distance to fly a small model but after a few minuets and few circuits over the crash site started heading back to the flight line.
On its way back at approx 100-150 feet high and wile flying straight and level at 3/4 throttle it violently tucked to full down at full power striking the ground, no fail safe.
These similar incidents minuets apart with only the TX as a common factor were fairly conclusive, they only served to remind me of the crash with the Extra months before.
From these incidents I decided to call it a day and returned the TX to Horizon with a full description of what had happened hoping for an explanation.
I know from past experience that Horizon's after sales and back up is second to none with good communication and a no quibble replacement policy.
As it was Xmas It took about two weeks for them to report back, first to say they were talking to the USA regarding the problem and a further week to "Burn" test the Tx
Unfortunately the out come of the tests were "no fault found" but its easy to understand that it would be very difficult for them to say other wise.
I believe myself there is a bug in the software, at that time I was running V 1.01 they have had 2 updates since.
Horizon understood my confidence in that TX was to say the least low and immediately offed and then sent a brand new replacement Tx and new 12ch RX FOC
They are very good and have I have never experienced the same response from other RC manufactures, I just wish I did not need them to be.
I used a DX8 as a stop gapafter selling my JR12X and haveing to wait for my DX18 as its relise date was delayed andknow the DX8 softwarehad several hi-cups in its software.
The first I found was that there was a backward incompatibility issue with the DX8 and DSM2 Rxs, That problem killed my JL F35 and cost me a few grand.
This TX Rx incompatibility meant it would simply drop out of sinc with the Rx and you lose contact with the model but at least it entered fail safe.
Horizon did widely publicise this and did a full recall but as I had bought this DX8 second hand all be it as new from a friend I foolishly assumed it was latest spec.
When it was returned after that problem they replaced, RF board, gimbals and updated its software, its been fine ever since and I'm using it now on my new Viper.
It however has had to be updated again since then as there have been mixing and unwanted cross trim issues but these show up on the bench before hand not in the air.
Ive tried to give you a full and as unbiased account as I can of what I have experienced with my two Spectrum DX8 and 18TXs.
As I mentioned earlier I have used DSM and am still using the DSM and DMMX setup and believe it and its diverse rx placement to be a good system.
What I an not convinced about is Spectrum's build quality in there new Txs and dont like the letting the custerme find the bugs then fix it

On that note JRs new cheap"higher end" 11 and 14ch TXs are a bit "plasticy" but then again at 3 or 4 x there price for a 12x (in the UK) seems a bit OTT
I have been flying RC for many years and don't tend to suffer from install problems in fact have a good reputation and get asked to fit and retro fit many airframes
I do build professedly, and as yet have not any come backs, I always use well proven, tested setups, don't cut corners with expenses never a consideration within reason.
My still unused replacement DX18 is now siting in its box I'm not sure what to do with it, perhaps with the new software updates it fine but my confidence in it is shot.
In 35+ years of flying this is he first time I have been in this situation, I know there are many thousands of DX18 Txs out there working OK but mine did not.
I have a new build on the bench that is the biggest expensive for an airframe I have ever made and have not decided which Tx I will use.
Your Sincerely
Mark Vandervelden

Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Mark Vandervelden

I would like to add that having used a few top end Txs of all makes the DX18 is perhaps the easiest and most versatile Tx to use
It software is deceiving as you think there is not much there but soon realise its just so simply laid out and very intuitive.
Its very comfortable and after the shock of having such a lite tx it makes huge sense. especially as im not comfortable on a strap
The battery life is fantastic and evan on the longest of days including tinkering on the deck in the pitts it would be hard to run flat.
Evan the charging is simple as it uses software in the tx to manage the charge weather nim or lipo, just feed it 12v and go.
The duel antenna is a brilliant idea, Its ability to store memory and be updated on an SD card is a "why don't all TXs have this"
Its price compared to other manufactures is very good, the 12X is less versatile yet 3x the cost, plus its got second to none backup.
Apart from mine actually only working 99.9% of the time its my Tx of choice just wish I did not draw the short straw and get a duff one

Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just wish JR would come out with a 18x and I'm holding out for a better JR. I don't trust anything with Specktrum's name on it.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Gordon W

The power output of the Spektrum Tx's is software controlled. That's all to do with different countries allowing differing max power outputs. The USA allows the highest power output, UK next lower, and France rather lower than UK. Plus there may be other variations, but all lower than the USA's allowance.

The upshot of this is that when it was first released, the power output of the European Tx's on V1 software was lower than actually allowed. I did have a range problem with my V1 software but flew the plane, a slope soarer, close-in as I only range-tested on the day of the first flight and didn't want to drive all the way home through muddy country lanes (needing an hour's car washing) without flying my nice new Tomcat mouldie. In years gone by I've flown a lot of home-brew R/C equipment which I'm convinced wouldn't be anywhere near as good as today's commercial stuff so decided to trust the DX18, and was lucky that day whilst reading on RCG that others had not been so lucky. The European low-power issue was soon notified on the RCGroups forum by someone who had the technology to do the measurements. Very soon afterwards the proper power output was programmed in, and if you have the latest software you should be OK. On V1 software my range check didn't even achieve the required 30 paces, or whatever it should have been. Now, there's no problem and I've had very many (small) jet, (large) gas and (fast) glider flights with no issues.

YMMV

Gordon
Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Mark Vandervelden

With the original V1.0 software the first DX18 came out with here in the UK they were set to EU-347 and should have been ok
V.01 set them to US-247 by mistake giving them a "HIGHER" than legal in the UK power output.
Only with the V1.2 that we were asked to upgrade to was the output reverted to the lower EU-347 level, it also fixed an issue with the trainer function.

In any case which ever way round they were originally set alow output would like yourself be found when ground checks are carried out and nobody would try to fly in this condition.
Low output would of course result in a lesser available range, resulting in a potential "hold" situation at distace or dificult situations and the Rx going to fail safe with throttle reverting to low, a very recognisable situation.

What I experienced with my DX18 on all three occasions was a wild "Glitch" or sudden sporadic aerobatics with the throttle being left to a high setting leaving me out of the loop.

In fact the offending DX18 TX I owned had a range in its test mode before and after the crashes well in excess of 100 paces to a point were I could have flown most models in range check mode!
Also in two out of the three incident's it had the airframe was in a favourable positions andfairly close.

We should should be on V1.3 now but its not completely clear what exactly they have over looked or found and what is being updated.

As an instance,in theDX8 version before last, its software on the flap to elevator compensation setting would glitch twice the set amount in the opposite direction with flap switch but just for just a second! Now 2 versions along if you set the flap further than "199" it reverses!, these would not cause a crash as there found wile programing the airframe, its the ones we don't find that worry me.

Its well known that certain software giants use end users tofind bugs in there computer operating systems that may cause a computer to slow or freeze but I don't like Tx software to do the same.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey theres a "Special Edition" DX18 out now. I think I'll buy one now that QQ says, HEY ..It's OK..

lol
http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Defau...rodId=SPM18800
Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI,yeh, but it still does not say nice flight petee.
Rcpete

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I just wish JR would come out with a 18x and I'm holding out for a better JR. I don't trust anything with Specktrum's name on it.
Unfortunately I've come to the same conclusion... I really did try and stick with Spektrum with the DX18, but that was short lived.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 AM
steve2972
My Feedback: (2)

JR are releasing a 14ch Radio in May this year and a 16 channel later on.I own the XG11 which is a great radio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.