Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another lithium polymer fire

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another lithium polymer fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With my fire, I am certain I was charging the battery properly.. i.e. 2s pack charger said 2s. I saw it puffing while on the charger. Put it in the safe, put it outside (thank God) and went to bed. Tiny little pack smoked that doc safe. hate to see what one of the 7000 packs for my planes would do!

I do my best to only buy TP packs if I'm buying lipo. And I tossed all the off brand random ones I had.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the well wishes and concern, they are appreciated.

The battery was a 2100ma 3S Lipo I use for powering the fuel pump. I had it on charge as I was in the RV arranging and packing. The battery charger indicated charging complete with beep, so I unplugged it from the charger and left it sitting on the table. Left about five minutes later for the store, returned maybe half hour later to black smoke.

The battery explosion somehow caught ignited the upholstery/foam of the couch on fire. Took the fire dept about ten minutes to arrive. As soon as they opened the entry door, boom, the flames erupted!

I usually charge these at the field, in the pits, but, as I was eager to be able to get in afew flights later today I wanted to get a head start. Obviously a bad idea.

I will try to make it to ButtonWillow for Saturday flying at least, but someone will have to loan me a battery for the fuel pump. Both of mine were in the RV.

David S
Old 03-27-2014, 03:16 PM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

David,

Glad you are safe, very scary, just hope they get that type of battery, and the systems correct for use in public transport aircraft.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM
roydefiant

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for posting this unfortunate experience. All of us need to learn from this. I certainly have unplugged and walked away not thinking about this potential consequence. I will now revisit this concept
Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had some experience with this myself. I love the way people love to point out what they think is obvious. I lit up the inside of my explorer one day at the field. I for some reason set the charger to 4 don't know why. I knew what I did as soon as I heard the pop. I also blew up a a 123.2s when I forgot to change the setting back to 2s. Both of these incidents where completely my fault and I learned a great deal from them.

Freddy
Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 PM
049flyer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Over 10 fires that I know of in this area over the last few years. I have seen brand new in the package Lipo batteries PUFF up hanging on the hobby shop wall. I'm surprised by the number of people still using them.

My home is a Lipo Free Zone! Not worth taking a chance.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry for your fire!

We wrongly assume that we are safer after unplugging the batts after charging. Thank you very much for your warning and detailing about the incident.

best regards, Enrique.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:48 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

Even small batteries can go up when my back was turned in same room
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fire 2.png
Views:	372
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	1982136  
Old 03-27-2014, 04:48 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn,, David. Sorry for your loss man. I left you a message.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Dave, not to be a downer but I remember you let me crash on that very couch in 2009 at Fresno jets! Gosh, crazy! I hope you are able to get a great upgrade!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by aquaskiman
David thanks for telling the whole story. It lets all of us know that these batteries will go off at any time. I store all my lipos in a ammo can, and charge in a fire proof bag. Now I am wondering if this is safe.
Exactly my concern now. I use ammo cans, sacks, and even a (apparently worthless) "fire" safe. And now these lipo's can just go off "unprovoked", even months later?

Man....
Old 03-27-2014, 05:31 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep mine stored in an ammo can with holes drilled in the top. I only charge outside the house.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, this just freaked me out. I just moved all my lipo's out to the shed, I'm ok if that goes up. What's the best way to store these?
Old 03-27-2014, 05:46 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Damn David, so sorry to see that.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Searles
For not trying, you've done an excellent job. Must come naturally to you!

#1 I unplugged the battery just prior to leaving for the store, so they weren't left unattended while charging. Your ASSumption is incorrect. The failure had apparently already started prior to me unplugging it and continued to conclusion in my absence.

#2 I never claimed it was anything else other than my fault. But thanks for your statement of blame, we can all rest easy now.

Scotty,

I assume the battery was bad, as I had unplugged the final battery from the charger before leaving. It apparently went nova at some point after I left.

Raptureboy,

Yes I admitted my mistake in public, now comes my public flogging by those who love restating the obvious. Thanks for your concern.

If there is anything to be learned here, IMO, it is that there is apparently a period after charging that these things can still explode. When I unplugged the final battery I assumed I was safe. NOT SO!

David S

David,

Thank you for sharing this experience with us, I am sure it will serve as a reminder as we all get going this season. Sorry for your loss.

Dave
Old 03-27-2014, 06:08 PM
SECRET AGENT

Great thread, finally something worth reading and learning something new. I had no idea of that risk, I only figured the problem occurred while charging. I am going to find all my lipo's right now and take them outside!

So sorry for your loss David, thanks for posting. You most likely just saved someone from a similar fate.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
Man, this just freaked me out. I just moved all my lipo's out to the shed, I'm ok if that goes up. What's the best way to store these?
For the average person, I think the best way to store them is at someone else's house or garage.

Also, an underground bunker comes to mind.

But the absolute best way is to store them in a BAT CAT, a KHEM Bio TCV, or a DETCAN (containment device) like this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DETcan.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1982165  

Last edited by Airplanes400; 03-27-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:20 PM
gooseF22

Dave,
Sorry for your loss.. thank you for reminding us to be safe.. its too bad there are *****holes out there that like to kick people about the obvious..

I have to admit, I would not have thought twice about taking batteries off charge and leaving with nothing actively charging.. I suppose I had better rethink my storage plan..

Hope this all turns out ok for you.. good luck with the upcoming camper upgrade..

Goose
Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Sorry for your loss and glad no body got hurt!!

Andy,

Remember you had a LIPO pack pop in your F-4 at JOK last year on the flight line. I had a LIPO pack sitting in a plane for a few months, Me & Barry were going to go fly and I needed a battery so I was going to steal the pack from my P-38. As soon as I opened the battery hatch, the pack popped and went nuclear. Thankfully it happened while I was home and I didn't come home to a smoking home. I threw it out on the drive and dug a hole and buried it. It was still smoking in the ground after we got back from a day of flying. I then proceeded to get rid of all my LIPO packs and only use LIFE or Nimh packs.

Dirk
Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 PM
YellowBlueBird

And flight 370 had 400 pounds of those things on board. I use an ammunition box with a tight lid. Could it be blown apart?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is another instance that just goes to prove that you can never trust these batteries.

About two years ago, I saw a battery begin to smoke, and then burst into a nova star within 30 seconds. The battery was on a bench when it happened. It wasn't being charged, nor was it recently charged or used. Someone surmised that the battery must have been "damaged by being dropped" for the battery to have gone into self-destruct mode. But since it wasn't my battery, I didn't know if that could have been the situation.

I always thought it was possible for these things to fail at some point for no apparent reason, or without any indication. Now I know these batteries can pretty much melt down at any time.

David, thanks for bringing this to the attention of others. Sorry your RV was destroyed. What a bummer!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 PM
YellowBlueBird

The most unusual one that I have heard of happened to the wife of our oldest hobby shop owner (now retired). Her pocket book started smoking from the lithium battery in her cell phone.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Shaun Evans

Wow,

This stuff is so scary. Now you can't leave 'em alone OFF the charger.... Somebody please tell me LiFe is safer?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
muzzgail

Thanks Dave. I am rethinking my use of lipos now. I have many and recently a hard cased one swelled up very badly, which got me concerned. I hope you are able to recover from the fire in the RV without to much hardship.

I like that your post has brought discussion on the subject, even though their were a couple of blame game posts made. My favourite was "how many times must you guys be told". Why do some talk to a whole community like that.....wow. For Me, I would like more discussion and maybe less telling me how it is. Maybe softer words, like "what do you think could have caused it" which promotes discussion and not ill will, well for me anyway.

Anyway, I like your thread, and as a result I will be looking at one aspect of my charging of Lipos definitely as a result.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Man, Sorry to see that.... What type of charger do you use? Glad to see it's not putting a damper on your event!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.