Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

dear sig mfg

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

dear sig mfg

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: dear sig mfg

Our own politicians opened our borders and invited our manufacturers to leave and use cheap labor rather than stay here and use American ingenuity, that was and is NAFTA. And just as Ross Perrot predicted, we really COULD hear a huge sucking noise as an incredible job vacuum was created here in the USA. The stock market has created the situation where companies have to continually show more and more profits, and leaving our borders was the only way to continue doing this, at least for a little while. It's an impossible situation, stocks cannot continually go up, there has to be adjustments at one time or another, and investors withdraw their fund when they see a drop in profits. NAFTA was engineered by large corporations paying off our legislators so they could take their businesses outside our borders. If we DON'T close our borders to the companies that have done this, we're dooming ourselves. That or heavily taxing those companies who left and took away the jobs, those are the only slim chances we have to get America back on track. When we closed Military bases here in the USA, the areas around the bases had to start their whole economy again from scratch, and it's taken many years to start that recovery. All of America is now in that same boat, our industries have moved out, and we're left to pick up the pieces. It IS infuriating. But WE put these short-sighted, money-grubbing un-american lowlifes in office and sent them to Washington. Until the public as a whole identifies which politicians want NAFTA and CAFTA to be dead and gone and keeps them, and join together to get rid of the ones who have supported these acts and this undermining of America, we can expect no change. And until we do this, we deserve no relief.

I personally do not expect any kind of change or revolutionary uprising by Americans anytime soon, as bad as things are they don't have any inclination to rock the boat. Let's face it, Americans LIKE having Wal-Mart in every town, and really don't want to strain their little brains looking at the devastation that Wal_Mart wreaks wherever it goes. This being true and obvious, how can we reasonably expect Americans as a whole to stand up and demand that our politicians put a stop to NAFTA and CAFTA and similar acts? Not gonna happen. Sad, true, disgusting, and the same is going on all over America, with no end in sight. But none of this is news that rocks the very earth under our feet. Every person who reads this is aware of most of this at some basic level.

Let's let this go and get back to modeling here. I'd really much rather read (and talk) about SIG and wish-lists and such. I'm mostly responsible for this thread going off on a tangent, so let me apologize and I hope we can get back to R/C stuff here on our RCU thread.

I for one have decided that if I'm going to act un-American in any way, I'm going to confine it to the stuff I buy for my hobby, such as my SIG Sun Dancer ARF Bipe. I've also got my eye on that SIG Little Something Extra ARF, in Turquoise of course. Also, I just arranged to trade my big FlyBaby Bipe for a built SIG Smith Miniplane. I've already got a SIG HogBipe with a Saito .91, and a SIG Spacewalker II with a Brison 2.4 engine. The Brison has been moved over onto the Spacewalker II from another plane, and as soon as the cowling is finished I plan to see what she'll do! I had a Saito 180 in her before, it was pretty good, but had only about 300 feet of vertical before she stopped and dropped back. Shouldn't be a problem anymore! My last building project as I move into ARFs is to finish up my SIG Kobra .25 . Maybe I'll get something from SIG next just to be different, like that new Sun Dancer .50 ARF I've been hearing the rumors about being released soon!

Jim Surra
Old 04-13-2005, 07:41 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sun Dancer 50 is no rumor; it was at Toledo. Kind of pricey at $235 (the price I was told it will sell for), slated for a mid-summer release.

Personally, I think that model (both sizes) has a fuugly cowl. But the quality seems to be the same high standard, and I bet it will fly just fine.

I'm going the opposite way of you; been doing ARFs for the past few years, now getting back into building. I've got a GP Super AeroMaster and Sig SkyBolt that should keep me busy for the next year or so...

I'm putting the finishing touches on a Kougar right now. It should be ready in a week or so. I've only been working on it for six months. Good thing I don't do this for a living; I'd starve.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Stripes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

We give them much more than they could steal. The problem is ours, not theirs.
. . .and not always a problem either. Had they not gotten the full effect of western medicine they could not have stopped the SARS epidemic in its' tracks. That was very good for us.

A friend in the club recently took a long trip in China and noticed that all the airliners were American made, and new. It takes a lot of model airplane engines and shower curtains to pay for an airliner.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I know that the kit vs ARF debate has been going on for years now, and probably will keep going. Many say that kits are dying and will be completely gone soon, others will disagree. Although I have purchased and flown a few ARF's and I have nothing at all against them, I have found that I truly building kits. I have lamented at some kits disappearing from the market (especially my all time favorite, the Great Planes Ultra Sport 60).

This brings me to a thought that I keep having, and I have in fact spoken with reps from Great Planes and Sig about this. There are several ARF's on the market that I would love to build as a kit. If nothing else at least my plane wouldn't have the same color scheme as all the rest at the flying field. But this desire comes to light with the release of the Sundance, I WANT to build this plane. The way I see it, manufacturers have to cut all of the parts for an ARF out of wood, they have to put all of the pieces on a building table, they have to put all the hardware for that plane there too, why can't they do all of that and push all that stuff into a box and send it to me as a kit?? All of the design, development, and setup has already been done. I see no reason why they can't sell an ARF and a kit as well to those of us that would rather build.

Now back to my conversations with the manufacturers. I got the same answer from both of them, they would do it if they thought there was more of a market than just one nut case (that would be me). So, all of this rambling has led me to this, call, write, or email the manufacturers and let them know that you would build the kits if they are available. They will go where the money is, and if they know there is a market they will provide for that market.

Ok, I'll put my soapbox away now.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
LSP972

Its the same bug that's biting kits, Ken. Demand; as in dwindling thereof. Remember the numerous ARC (Almost Ready to Cover) models that used to be around? How many do you see now? Again, we are our own worst enemy. Plug'n'play, man; that's what the masses what nowadays. And the suppliers are going to oblige. They'd be foolish not to.

There are a couple of current-production kits that interest me; but for the most part, I'm afraid our last refuge will be eBay.

What a depressing thought...[&o]
Old 04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Having a couple of firends in the ARF import business, I can say that often the loudest product requests don't always translate to actual sales. A friend of mine produced a few ARC versions of his popular ARFs, after been persistently hounded on about it, only to sit on the ARC inventory unsold for years. (I got one of those ARCs, a .60 P-40E, at my house BTW) Many folks asked for ARCs, only to back off from it when they find out the ARC is $379, while the ARF is $399.

Same thing goes for kits. Would you be willing to pay $329 for a Sundancer kit, when the ARF sells for $399? For the importer, assembly cost constitutes only a tiny portion of his overall cost, the majority of which is in product design, material procurement, parts fabrication, packaging, transportation, advertising, distribution, and support. Frankly, if Sig actually sets the Sundancer kit price according to the relative cost compared to the ARF version, it will probably be $389. They would have to thin the profit margin on the kit version just to attract enough interest. Even then, the minimal revenue they can expect to gain on selling kits won't be anywhere near enough to recoup their setup cost.

You are also assuming the pile of parts the factory uses can be dumped on your workbench for you to assemble just as easily. Many ARFs these days are designed specifically for jig-rigged assembly line production, not hand pinning on a flat board over plan.

I feel your pain. I started RC 20yrs ago with kit- and scratch-building and enjoyed it tremendously. ARFs were in their infancy back then and not at all very appealing (EZ had their laminated foam board over wood frame crap). Times have changed. These days, you can buy a 42% Ultimate on Friday and fly it on Sunday. The RC world is better off because of what ARF brings... choice. You can still kit- and scratch-build to your heart's content - but you don't have to in order to enjoy flying RC. Whatever your feeling towards ARFs are, for the vast majority of the RC public, that choice has been profoundly empowering.

Sure there are a few less kits around these days, but if they are really as great as some of you seem to think, then the manufacturers wouldn't really want to kill a cash cow now, would they? Fact is, factory floors and distributor warehouses are only so big, and they would rather stock them with fast-moving ARFs then sell-1-in-a-year kits. There are still plenty of kits and plans for sale out there, and new designs do show up from time to time. Why fixate on a few old by-gones?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Volfy,
I totally understand about the economics of the kit/ARF pricing. I can't speak for other builders out there, but when I build a kit the price isn't my biggest concern. Last summer I dumb thumbed my Sig Something Extra and re-kitted it. If I was looking at economics I would have just bought the ARF version of the SSE to replace it, but instead I purchased a kit knowing it would cost me more to build that instead of doing the ARF. I build because I enjoy the process of building. Also, I don't mind paying extra so that my plane doesn't look like 10 others at the flying field. I may be the odd man out with the way I feel, but that's the way I look at it.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Volfy

I hear ya. When I got back into RC some years ago, I quickly realized building is out of the question. I still got the fully frame-up Kadet Seniorita wing, which I stretched to 71' wing span, sitting next to the rest of the kit box - one of the several kit-builds I aborted. After that, just to get my building kicks, I ended up modifying a few ARFs, some of which ended up looking nothing like the original ARF. Slowly though, I am loosing even the luxury of being able to modify ARFs. The last ARF I did any major work on was a Sig Kadet Sr that I converted to tail dragger and added wheelpants. These days, I'd be lucky to get enough time to assemly an ARF - no mods - in 3months!

Still, there are plenty of things you can do to an ARF to customize it, if you are not concerned about cost or time. For one thing, it is exceedingly easy to turn any ARF into an ARC. Once you are down to bare frame, you can change the tail feather shapes, add wingtips, modify aileron, add flaps, etc. If you can't find a kit for an airplane you're looking for but there is an ARF available, it's not a bad option to go with.

Or you can always get one of the custom kit cutters to do a kit for you from plan. You might have to wait a while and spend more than you would an ARF, but the choice is there.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:44 PM
LSP972

I, for one, am not "fixating" on anything; just lamenting the decline of good kit selection.

That's why I'm rooting for my pal to get that CNC two-axis router table up and running. The table is no biggee; being able to scan direct from a plan and transfer that into an accurately-cut piece of wood (without spending three+ grand on the CNC part alone) is the sticking point.

He seems to think its doable. We're already perusing plans...
Old 04-14-2005, 06:43 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

When I think about building, the fond memories always seem to include one or two of my closest buddies and I messing about in our "building shed", burning our eyes and coughing from overdoses of CA glues and kicker, or further back from too much Ambroid stink. When I build these days, none of these buddies are around, they've all long since moved on in life, away from here and/or away from the hobby. It's not the same, so building versus ARFs is a no-brainer for me now, even when I don't take my time constraints into consideration. Yet flying alone at the field, that's still just fine with me. Safety issues aside, I can enjoy a quiet morning or evening at the field flying a plane or two all alone. But usually there are enough friends dropping by the field to keep me from getting lonely. I have to agree with the "plug N'Play" assessment made here by Steve, I think the masses are a little like water and electricity, we just kind of follow the path of least resistance. Let's face it, a well-built kit for a great price means flying at the field almost right away, that's a hard thing for an avid flyer to say no to. A really gorgeous Bipe like this, I'm just weak, WEAK, WEEAK! I had to have it. I'm really looking forward to taking some quality time and setting it up nicely, and I have to say that NOT having to duck fumes from adhesives is a real plus for me and actually adds to the value, making it an even better deal to me. And of course, it's a SIG plane!!!

Jim Surra
Old 04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
LSP972

<<...quality time...>>

There it is.

I enjoy building for two main reasons; its something I did, from a box of wood; and its something nobody else has one like.

That said, I also enjoy doing a careful job on an ARF; just like I enjoy assembling and setting up a helicopter, or building a truck/buggy kit- although you can now count those (full truck/buggy kits) on the fingers of your hands. RTR (Ready To Run) completely dominates the car/truck side of the hobby now. Personally, I think TV and computer games are causing our young to have very short attention spans. I know my two grandsons fit that description, as do all of their friends that I have met. Hence all the plug'n'play stuff from the vendors; they know where their bread is buttered....[&o]

Anyway, now that the Kougar is basically done, I've got my choice of two ARFs or three kits, all stacked in the corner, for what to do next. The Goldberg Sukhoi ARF, I think, will get the nod; but no doubt I'll begin preliminary stuff on the Super AeroMaster kit too. That old-style NIB 91 Surpass I was lucky to find at Toledo is crying for a home...
Old 04-14-2005, 08:44 PM
kelldog
My Feedback: (1)

Good glue,balsa, a cup of coffee,sig kit by the wood stove cant be beat over the long ct. winter.Catch your wife before she goes to sleep on the building nights to keep her happy!JUST aint going to explain it anymore!KEEP YOUR FRICKEN ARFS go watch tv or work yourself silly!Modern inventions suppose to leave us MORE TIME.If you dont have the time, one or two hours a week during the winter for your own home built,custom,durable plane that you can get that feeling again of modeling and invention, and to talk about something at the field again you need to stop and slow down.Arfs are cheaper,fast to get in the air,we all love them sig!!! SELL us only ARFS.Our brains are half dead anyways!!THATS ALL we want!!!!A grown adult 10 years from now flying for 30 years will have the same plane from china as a 10 year old!!INOVATION!! WHATS THAT!! BULLCRAP, NO TIME YA ALL SAY!Innovating is KEY to modeling.IS that where we are now! Altering ARFS for our Quest for Innovation!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I'm not going to let my emotions get as strong as Kelldog's, but I've got pretty much the same feelings as he does. Please bear with me for a moment as I express this out. I have nothing against ARF's, I've built and flown several of them and will more than likely do it again. But here is the way I look at this.

An ARF that I bought 90% pre-built and I finished the final assembly. Yes, I'm going to enjoy flying it. Yes, I'm going enjoy hearing others say it's a nice plane. Yes, it's a good feeling. No, I don't like it that my plane looks like hundreds of others just like it.

A kit that I bought 0% pre-built and I finished the ENTIRE plane. YES, I'm going to be proud of my work. YES, I am going to glow when people congratulate me on my work. YES, I'm going to revel in the fact there are NO other planes that look like it.

Now here is a real world situation to back up my views.

The first plane (first 2 pictures) is a Dave Patrick Ultimate Bipe (ARF), YS 120, Airtronics RD 6000 computer radio, 100 oz servos on the rudder and elevator. Total cost of the plane, radio, motor, and misc. gear approx. $1,200

The second plane (last 2 pictures) is a Great Planes Slow Poke 40 (kit), OS 52 Surpass, Airtronics Vanguard radio (10 years old), standard servos all around. I picked the plane and motor up from somebody getting out of the hobby for $200. Radio and servos I already laying around. Total cost of plane, motor, radio, and all the extras to finish the plane approx. $400

When I showed up at the field with the Ultimate everybody ohh'ed and aww'ed for 5-10 minutes about the plane and watched the first flight. After that, it was just another plane at the field. When I showed up the the Slow Poke I spent almost an hour and half telling people how I built and covered it. I've got almost 35 flights on it now, and still every time I fly it everybody stops to watch it. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but just trying to make a point. I get more reaction at the field from the plane I built than that "show stopping" ARF.

Oh yeah, before I forget, which one do you think that I'm more proud of? If there are any doubts it's the Slow Poke. And the time I spend at the building table putting it together are some of the most relaxing and enjoyable time I spent in this hobby. I can't even remember the time that I spent on the ARF.

Thanks for hearing me on my soapbox
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11783.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	258327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92887.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	258328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35836.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	258329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49536.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	258330  
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 AM
kelldog

Sorry ken! Got a little upset.Nice job on your planes though.I started this thread about how easy some kits are to build and the advantages.Politics to walmart to arfs.Everybody has good opinons.Not trying to bash arfs.They do have a special place in our hobby.Guys who really cant build at all or really dont have the time.But when ALOT of fathers come to the field driving a bmw and want to learn how to fly TODAY with that arf they put together in 5 minutes they will never get that feeling of spending time on a kit and watching her fly for the first time.Kit builders who enter the hobby SEEM TO BE more careful and listen more and mostly stay in the hobby more.Will we ever see again a father and son jumping up and down shouting and cheering as the time they spent TOGETHER building instead of watching tv see their plane take off for the first time.Some of sig kits and others can be put together for MOST everybody.Just thinking of that kid who will never get that feeling!Check it out.Most prominate answer is not enough time.THAT IS SAD!!! KELLDOG

e
Old 04-15-2005, 08:22 AM
dbruening80

I got started in this hobby back in the early 90's with a PT 40 kit. My father and I spent close to 9 months building it, fixing mistakes, learning how to cover, learning little tricks and tips, installing the radio, making pushrods from wooden dowels, setting up the fuel tank , engine, etc etc. It was a lot of work for a 12 year old kid and his father. I would never trade that experience for anything.

At the field we flew at, you were almost looked down upon if you showed up with and ARF, and the kit planes seem to have less problems than the ARF's and were more easily repaired.

I left the hobby in 96 and started back up in 04........how times have changed

Now ARFS are the rage at our club, 95% of the planes at our field are ARFS, some people actually cannot believe that I BUILD my planes. A little part of me cringes when I hear someone tell me how long it took them to build their plane, or how difficult it was, then they show me their brand new Great planes/Hangar nine/seagull/ (insert one) ARF. I just think back to that 12 year old boy, his father and nine months in the basement building that PT 40. As I said, I would never trade that experience for anything, and it is sad to think that some people in this hobby will never have that feeling.

I wish the manufacturers would start putting out more kits, but I think we will start seeing more and more great kits from individuals working out of their basements and such, Paul Swany, Bruce Tharpe and the like.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:58 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I wouldn't dream of criticizing somebody for choosing to build, and so I can't see why there should be such vehemence expressed against somebody who chooses NOT to build, it's just a choice. ARFs are well-liked and well-accepted these days. I have a company to run, and what I do with my spare time is for me to decide. ARFs solve many problems and have very few detractors. Most modelers don't vary the stock scheme anyway, and those that are prone to would do it to an ARF anyway. If somebody wants attention, they're going to strive for it. Some by making a better or different color scheme, some by flying 3-D and monopolizing the runway while us others wait to be able to use the runway to get to that big open sky, and others a dozen different other ways.

The guys I grew up building with would NEVER have criticized a guy for flying an old plane, a new plane, a computer radio, or and ARF. I differ with the implication that veteran builders are being turned into Plug-N'-Play zombies, I can build anything out there better than anybody I have ever met. I'm dealing with time constrictions here and trying to fulfill my love of flying.

You see, in MY R/C world nobody is better than anybody else, nobody who spends more money is better and nobody who spends less money is worse. The only shame is not showing up and participating in your own way. In MY R/C world, innovations are not always made at home, sometimes a company like Sullivcan can make those little nylon clevises with pin-locks that stay in a slide on the side of the clevis, and that just rocks my world and makes my day when I don't lose that lock when I'm adjusting the clevis. In MY R/C world, some of us spend all week solving problems and using more than our share of imagineering to make other people's medical equipment work, and want time off from it on flying days. And in MY R/C world, guys that show up at the field with a ratty little plane that couldn't fly if it had to are treated to the same welcome as everybody else, and the same helping hand is extended becuase we want to see everybody's planes in the air. At least, that's what I've always known about R/C in my world, and that's how my friends and I approach all of it. Not with vehement, almost viscious criticizm.

I started the BOLT glue company years ago, and believe me, I know all about building. And I can also be a Grampie and take my grandkids out and about, and I can also take care of my wife and our home, and I can also run a medical equipment company and do a dozen other things. But somewhere something has got to give, and it ain't gonna be my grandchildren or my business or my wife or my home. So, I choose to buy an ARF and to use my slivers of spare time for setting those up and flying. And I would no more expect to be criticized for that than I would expect any person who flies at my field to criticize somebody for building because they don't have extra money for ARFs. This isn't a contest, it's a hobby, and I love this hobby more than I can even say, and I have to say that this is NOT the kind of behavior that goes along with such a fine hobby. It's all about self-expression, but if doing so means that you only fly differently than others, then that is more than enough self-expression for anybody in a hobby. Build if you want to, build if you have to, buy ARFs if you want to, but whatever you do, ENJOY this hobby, ENJOY each other, CELEBRATE your differences and diversities. There are so many other useful places where criticisms can be usefully employed, take them THERE and keep them there. PLAY here, have fun here, be together here. It's easy enough to forget, I went off on a tangent about politicians myself here. But in the end, I'm not here to fight or criticize anybody, I'm here to talk about R/C stuff. And oh, how I do love it all.

Jim Surra
Old 04-15-2005, 09:50 AM
kelldog

In no way shape or form am I saying which is best,or how you should enjoy this hobby.Kits are on the way out because of arfs.Arfs ARE NOT on the way out because of kits.Get it!You are on the up,I am on the way down!Cars replaced the horse.Same thing.IT AINT YHAT EASY TO FIND A GOOD HORSE NOWADAYS! All most all mfgs. are supporting your side of the fence.How about mine side and the many nieve neebies that WILL HAVE A ARF SHOVED DOWN THEIR THROAT with out a chance to build a kit. Look at model airplane magazine reveiws.ALL arfs or almost.ALL perfect planes.YEA RIGHT!Please do be honest when those spectators come over and ask,hey did you build that?NOPE made in CHINA!How much does it cost?Just go to Walmart they are on sale for 500.00 dollars. kelldog
Old 04-15-2005, 10:01 AM
kelldog

HEY JIMBO,one more thing! If arfs where on the way out because of KITS!Would you be such a love bug then!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Volfy

Jim, what you say about "something's got to give" strikes a chord. Between working on my career and spending time with my wife and two sons (3yr old and 5month old), I'd be lucky to squeeze 10mins at night to work on my own things (of which RC is but one). As it is, I am averaging one trip out to fly at the field every 2-3months. If it weren't for ARFs, I'd have to quit RC for sure.

It saddens me to see some folks gurgling so much vinegar over something that has so far benefitted so many in this hobby of ours. Oh well, to each his own. I guess practicing the art of curmudgeon is a hobby in and of itself, and I shouldn't rob them of their right to pursue that craft.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
kelldog

Volfly I dont buy that!@!!! ARFS do have their place,for certain times in our lives!But just maybe you chose to not to prioritize your time.I started this thread about sig kits and here comes prancer with his dancer arf.DO YOUR THING MAN!!! GO to the arf forum.I Wanted to talk about modeling in the USA and INNOVATIONS!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Volfy

Kelldog, hey I don't expect you to buy anything. I don't ever tell what others should or should not do with their spare time. However, maybe, just maybe... if you had my job where I have to juggle more engineering projects than I have resources for, and you have a 3yr old son demanding every bit of my attention at home, and a 5month old son with a congenital heart defect, who has so far spent as much time in the hospital as he does at home, and a loving wife who tirelessly takes care of all things domestic and deserved of my help, caring and support, then you might understand precisely why I must prioritize my time.

RC is great fun and helps recharge my NiCds, but if it so much as to infringe upon my career and family, I'd ditch it in a heartbeat. It ain't that important.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:46 AM
kelldog

I started this thread about sig kits and how good they are!!Volfy look back in tis forum on the first page and you tell me how we got here.Kelldog the guy with 3 boys,own a business myself with 3 hard workers.Wife works to.How did they ever find the time to do what they did 50 yrs ago?
Old 04-16-2005, 06:14 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

At my field, building is still encouraged, and all the veteran flyers let the newbies know that building your first few planes will probably give you an edge and make you a better pilot in the end. Not always true, but for the most part it helps a lot. I'm not in love with ARFs, but after spending the past few years trying to get enough extra time to finish up a few kits I have in the wings, I came to the conclusion that these will make the difference in the time I have and get me back on the field doing something other than just instructing. I instruct because I feel it's my duty, my little effort to perpetuate the hobby. These ARFs will give me some variety in what I can fly at the field now. I'm also in this position because I made the decision to downsize my fleet, and by downsizing I mean I'm getting smaller planes and getting rid of my larger planes. ARFs give me the ability to easily replace large size planes with smaller size planes. I was at that crucial point where my battery packs as a whole were at the end of their useful lives, so replacing them with new packs for the ARFs I'm getting into saves me a little money, and the models I'm selling pay for the ARFs themselves. It's a matter of practicality, and I'm simply moving the money from the large plane sales into paying for the small planes.

I honestly didn't think I was INVADING Kelldog's turf when I came in here and posted. I saw "SIG", I saw "great flying planes" and "great kits", and I've experienced all of that. I can't say enough about SIG and their products. True, the ARFs are a little different, and I have felt the disappointment when certain kits stopped being offered. But I've never done more than shrug my shoulders, because right now today I could go out there and find a Bud Nosen Cessna 310 kit if I looked hard enough, and they haven't been offered for 15 years. In fact, I've been selling all my kits on RCU for the past few weeks, and more to come and go. By the way, I have a SIG Kadet Mark II kit still in the box for sale and a set of floats in the box taped to the side of that one. These things are going to be around and coming up for sale for as many years as any of us are going to be flying.
There's actually TONS of good horses around these days, and CHEAP. You just have to look for them a little differently, but they are there to be found.
Things are changing, and it bugs me as much as it bugs anybody. But, here I am on one of these computer gizmos, and now I'm a webmaster and I know all about these. It seems there's always something changing, it seems there's always something to learn, but if you stopped having to learn new things, life would go stagnant pretty darn fast. There's always something new coming down the pike, and there's always something that practicality dictates that we will have to let go of sooner than we wanted to. Some of us sooner than others. I doubt that SIG actually wanted to restructure their entire sales plan so they could change to selling these ARFs, but that's the way it was going and they want to continue being there as our modeling company in whatever way they can. I doubt they wanted to throw away die-cutters for complete kits that they used to sell every day.
And I didn't want to go to ARFs, but they're very well built and I'm going to be able to fly because of them. I'm letting go of building and I'm trying to put a positive spin on these, and pointing out that they've come a long way in the last few years, enough so that I'm pleased that I now have a way to go.
I HAVE prioritized. THIS is a SMART way for me to go here. And if I've invaded your turf, Kelldog, then so be it. Get used to it, both here and at the field, The times they are a-changing. I came here to say that I think SIG is a great company. I was trying to join in the conversation with my enthusiasm for SIG products, but don't expect me to lie down and take abuse because you feel the whole world should be feeling the CA burn alongside you. I like the things I do, I'm happy about my decisions regarding ARFs and building and they're well thought out. I don't think that I've incorporated stubbornness or obstreperous ramifications anywhere into them. (Cussing) I do think, however, that I'll refrain from posting further in this thread, seeing as it seems to be bothering somebody that much.

Jim Surra
Old 04-16-2005, 07:46 AM
kelldog

When somebody makes false accusations,fails to respond to what that person actually said,AND HAS SO MUCH TIME ON HIS HANDS TO KEEP THIS FORUM GOING like it is,it is time to end this forum. KELLDOG
Old 04-16-2005, 02:43 PM
LSP972

kelldog, you need to back off from the caffiene or something. Thread drift is common, and this particular one isn't bad, compared to some. Nobody hi-jacked your thread, and what I saw was a pleasant discussion among gentlemen. Not sure why you got your back up, or what "false accusations" you're referring to, but you effectively killed this thread, that's for sure.

None of us need the grief. It is unfortunate that you feel wronged in some way, but no one here did so deliberately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.