Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

CA 27% extra

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

CA 27% extra

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 11:33 AM
xoon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA 27% extra

ok, after ages of deciding either to go for the Accel Katana GS40 or save some money for my CA 27% extra, i went w/ the extra. it was bugging my dad that i didn't want to start on it right away and instead wanting another plane so to make him happy i went w/ the extra. i have started one thread in the Giant Scale forum and not much reply, i'm here in the 3D forum asking for help. right now i got $240 and about to spend it all on servos. i'm planing to get...

4 x Hitec HS-5625MG High-Speed 2BB MG Servo S
1 x Hitec HS-5945MG Torque Metal Gear Servo S

what do you guys think. all of these will cost me around $300, i'm now making $40 per week mowing lawn ( yeah, i'm only 15). i'm planning to use a Brison 3.2 engine on this baby, because i heard it was reliable and cheap, i just call a guy at Brison asking how much their engine was he said it was $499. so that's $800 total for engine and servos, not including muffler and assesories.

here are my questions....

i want to have a bolt go through the wing and the wing tube, but i need help w/ that, i don't know how to do this....
and control horn, i need to know what control horn to use, i have hard dowel go through the control surfaces to mount the control horn, but don't know which one to use...
and covering scheme, i need help designing the wing scheme, i have attemped at this, but fail horibly...

thanks for everything

PS. this plane was a trade so i didn't build this plane, i just need to finish it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37193.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	288279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32167.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	288280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39361.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	288281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62012.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	288282   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98627.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	288283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne56152.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	288284  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:53 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: CA 27% extra

5/8 inch hardwood dowls for your hard points and i would run 5645's instead of 5625's and one 5695 on my rudder.this is whats in my ca 27% and it works great on 6 volts.go to flying cirkus.com and get all the best ideas for your wings there.nobody will mind if you copy them
Old 06-22-2005, 08:20 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

xoon,
What you have going from the photos looks really nice. I'm using JR-8411's in mine however the Hitecs mentioned should also work well (at about half the cost). Dowels will work however many have trouble with installation. I use baltic birch plywood 1/4" thick hard-points glued in with Titebond Polyurethane glue. It is really strong and bonds very well with the wood and foam (and also be used to install the dowels previously mentioned). For the wing attachment install a blind nut onto a dowel. Drill a hole into the wing to contacT the phenolic tube but not to penetrate it. Install the dowel with the blind nut against the phenolic tube. After the glue cures (making sure you don't get glue in the blind nut) drill through the dowel and blind nut into the aluminum tube. Use a hex bolt with washer and lock washer to hold everything in place. The bolt tightens into the blind nut and stays in place. As far as the Brison it is good however there have been problems with some of the rings that control the spark advance. I'm running a BME-50 which is about $50.00 more and includes an electronic advance with mufflers (running a Bisson) costing about the same. The BME is a real powerhouse and at only 3 lbs is really great in the power to weight race. BME is an advertiser here on RCU so check them out. I use the Rocket City Hardware (now distributed by Don's Hobby shop and Nelson products) with good results. I make pushrods using a rod-chuck system from welding rods. It is really stiff and cost effective. I made all the pushrods from one 36" rod. Any slop in the linkage can cause flutter with disastrous results. Make sure you use all 4/40 rods and linkages in this size plane. I run redundant batteries and switches into one receiver (JR~PCM only for me in gasoline powered craft). Look at the IMAC forum for photos of planes. Let me know what you like and I'll see what can be done for a trim scheme. Do you plan to keep the current fuselage color scheme? If so then the design should complement it. I have several color scheme files on this plane. If you need one I have a 3 view which when copied can be used with colored markers and the like to test color schemes. See PM for additional information. Make sure the top and bottom have distinctive design differences. Basic geometric shapes are easier to see. Use grey scale opposites for visibility. (Grey scale is evident if you place 2 colors together and make a copy in black/white. White and yellow for the lighter colors with red, green, blue and black as opposites. Take red blue together and they will be about the same scale on a copy machine).

EXCAP232
Old 06-22-2005, 08:42 PM
xoon

the dowel are preinstalled into the surfaces, and it's diameter is 3/4"... as for the wing attachment, EXCAP232 can you post a few pictures? my mind doesn't work well if i can see it... thanks. the engine i's planning to use is the Brison 3.2, i got a deal of Brison after calling them today, and the guy say if i call back within a week or two, the offer is still open, and it's for $449 for the Brison 3.2, can any other good engine beat that? if so please let me know, i really want to go for a DA 50 or a ZDZ engine, but the price is kinda high. and as for the scheme, i'm sticking w/ the fuse scheme, but after drawing on paper for hundred of time, i gave up not knowing w/ to do. please post some pictures, i would like to see your scheme and pictures of ANY wing attachment method.

PS. what kind of hardware do you use? does the control horn screw stick out on to the other side of the control surface? sorry for so many questions, this is my first.... first for digital servos, first gas, first giant scale... yeah, first.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:38 PM
xoon

i've been looking around and i found this of Aeroworks.net ... but mine has the yellow stripe, i need a way to blend that into the scheme on the wing. or any other scheme that would go w/ the fuse, please let me know, i got covering at home iching to start but don't know what to do.

PS do i put the control horn on first and place it w/ the servos then drill and then cover?

Name:	Ec88872.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	288544  
Old 06-22-2005, 09:53 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

i havent heard one bad thing about the 27%. i would love to have one..

the smaller one they were having trouble getting balanced was all i saw negative but nothing on the 27%
Old 06-22-2005, 10:23 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Mount your control horns prior to covering then remove them...They can go all the way through from top to bottom or you can tap the hard point 3/4th the way and thread them in from the bottom..

Brison will be just fine for this plane, mine flies great with a Q-52xl. You will like this plane...Oh yea before covering elevators make sure the have full throw with the rudder horns attatched..Don't ask how but I had to recut mine after being finished and covered.

Good luck

Scott
Old 06-23-2005, 08:36 AM
xoon

thanks for the reply, so now i got to get the horns down first before covering and check for clearance for elevator and rudder. will the tap method through the dowls come loose? glue maybe help? ok, this is a tail dragger so what tail asemble do you MOST recommend? this is a big plane so i don't think i can use the JUST wire method, maybe spring? i'm running out of questions here, but ANY other MODS or SUGGESTIONS, will surely help me because this is my first. oh yeah.. how do i line up the control horn and servo horn to get the maxium throw? as for the elevators halves don't i need to reverse one servo, and wouldn't that changes everything?

PS. please tell me what i should buy first... servos or engine... i'm still toggling between the two. pros and cons?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Well for the easy way on elevators get a Y-connector with a reverser. This will take out any radio lag.

Ohio superstar or Dave patrick tail wheel will work.

My hardpoints are tapped and I added some gorrilla glue when I did the final install, once cured overnight I cut the bolt to desired length.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
EXCAP232

I'll try to get some photos and/or do a drawing for the wing attachment over the weekend. Really busy at work this week.
Best regards,
EXCAP232
Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 PM
EXCAP232

Xoon,
Do you plan to cover the right side of the fuselage to match the left?
EXCAP232

Name:	Ay74400.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	291316  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:44 AM
xoon

yeah, i do plan to cover the left side to the same as the right... sorry for the last respond, thanks so much for helping
Old 06-29-2005, 08:45 AM
xoon

here are two that i draw out.... what do you guys think?... please post your pictures if you have them

Name:	Mk26268.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	291616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47510.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	291617  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
EXCAP232

Xoon,
I like what you have. I added an idea in my last post. My idea was to combine the existing color and shapes to complement the existing fuselage. The curves combined with the lightning bolt were the theme followed. You can then add the yellow and blue to correspond with the fuselage (which is what it seems you were going for).

I have attached the design of the bottom of my current plane. The idea came from here on RCU however it was on a profile plane. I actually took a photo of an actual tiger and used the striping to create the cutting file. The orange color is Monokote pearl copper and the yellow is pearl also. The graphics were cut from commercial stock and are holding up well. I would change the eye color from blue if this is repeated on another plane. I like stripes of some sort to keep orientation during sequences. These are very visible on the 84" wing. If I get some actual photos of the plane they can be posted.

EXCAP232

Name:	Zx71502.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	291891  
Old 07-04-2005, 11:44 AM
xoon

sorry for the late reply, went out camping and wasn't able to answer the post. thanks A LOT for your time EXCAP232, did you have a plan in mind for my design? which one is better the straight or the diagonal scheme?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:21 PM
EXCAP232

Xoon,
See the post above I added the first graphic in (white and red scheme). It is the basic idea for your wings. The idea is to use the curves as around the cowl area and the lightning bolt effect onto the turtledeck. Adding the outlines with this as in the fuselage theme. Then add the yellow stripes across the red (as in the fuselage scheme).
EXCAP232
Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

CA extra is a way cool plane, I have about 2 dozen flights on mine. I'm running a zdz50. You'll need taller gear with a 22" prop, I used the patty wagstaff gear, and I still don't have enough height. Ballance it on the forward part of the wing tube.

This is my first Giant Scale plane, and it's quite fun, but what I noticed is that rotations in spins or tumbles need to be corrected, you can't just let go of the controls and let the plane fly again like a fun-fly.
I can actually do a rolling harier circle with this plane (WAY up high) but definatly the plane makes me look like a good pilot
Old 07-06-2005, 10:13 PM
xoon

sorry to bother you EXCAP232.. can you draw it out for me? still don't get the fuse outline and stuff... and the yellow strips.. i thanks u a million!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:31 PM
EXCAP232

Xoon,
I'll draw it for you if you like the basic idea. I have a carving job to complete this weekend so won't have much time to get much done until after that is complete. I need to scale the plans anyway for another design I'm in the process of doing. That way the actual layout will be accurate.
EXCAP232
Old 07-08-2005, 04:14 PM
xoon

yeah!.. i REALLY LIKE that design! please... i would really like the complete pictures of the wing design
Old 07-08-2005, 07:31 PM
EXCAP232

OK. I'll go ahead with the design.
EXCAP232
Old 07-08-2005, 11:21 PM
xoon

i truely THANK YOU YOU !!!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:33 AM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

I put a Threaded hard point in the wing over the tube, and drilled a hole in one side of the tube, have a bolt that goes into the hole in the wing tube and locks it in place...

Name:	Wu60452.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	295181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26250.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	295182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65454.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	295183  
Old 07-09-2005, 09:02 AM
xoon

how will the nut inside hold to the aluminum wing tube?

so hole in the paper tube through on side, and a hole through the aluminum wing through one side, and a nut inside the aluminum tube? how will the nut hold to the aluminum tube?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
xoon

can someone answer the above thread... cuz i'm at home.. doin nowthing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.