Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Maxair Revolution II Velox >

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxair Revolution II Velox

Nice report Mix,
Can you give me some info on right thrust when you get it solved. I have a 1.50 FS going on mine and would like to work that out from the beginning. I have a Fliton Extra Freestyle in front of it to build but should have everything ready to go by spring.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
My Feedback: (15)

I usually add one washer of right and up thrust to all my planes,for some reason I did not when I put this one together. Looks like it will need them both.( I add a little more even if its built into the firewall.)You will probably not notice any difference in flight characteristics with the extra washers except for hovering & up-lines.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 AM

I may have solved the rocking issue(I hope),I double checked the lateral balance again but did it my usual way,hanging upside down using fishing line thru the rudder hinge line and from the prop shaft. For some reason, the weight I added was way too much ,I removed 1/3 to 1/2 of the weight to balance this time. Hope this is it for harriers,if I have to use spoilerons its easy enough to mix, but I'd like to get away from that mix,its a problem if you have to jerk up suddenly just before impact!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM

Sounds great. Keep us updated.
I can't wait to dive into this one. I have some graphics ordered to dress it up some. I will post some pics once I get her all ready to go. I went to the hobby shop this week end and picked up 5 5625s for the plane and got a Tru- Turn 3" spinner, AR7000 receiver for it. I checked the spinnner on the 17x6 APC and it looks like I am gonna have to do some adjusting with the dremel. Hope to have it ready to go by mid April.
Jeff
Old 03-12-2007, 09:42 AM

I will, I hope to get it to harrier w/o spoilerons mixed in, it works with some planes but when things get hairy,its more complicated with spoilerons up. Is the snow melted up there yet?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Nope, we have about 1 foot of cover and it may snow later this week. We still have at least another month or so before I can even get onto the field. I will have 3 to maiden by then, eflite Extra 260, Fliton Freestyle 330 and the Velox. Gonna be a funs summer!!
Jeff
Old 03-13-2007, 05:20 AM

hey there, how'd your fliton extra 330 turn out ? did you go with dual minis in the tail or stock elevator? mine is still going strong although still a little tailheavy. I sure am loving my velox too. I can't keep this thing more than 10' off the deck! I just love the stability in high alpha. I might try the added washers too. I have to give a little rudder on the up lines and that would probobly help. so you add one washer on each of the right side bolts and one on each of the bottom bolts?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Use 3 washers, 2 on left side for right thrust,one on bottom right for up-thrust.If you need a lot of right thrust, use 2 washers on left or thicker washers on left side.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 AM

The Fliton is on the table now and I am looking at going with a spectrum digi for elevator in the standard spot but upgrading to 4-40 hardware for the rods and connector to give it a little more strength. I was going ot put 2 digis (spectrum) in the tail but its a lot of weight and I hate to add the weight. I am hoping that the standard location will be ok. I just finished beefing up the fire wall last night with some small bass stock and epoxy and got the horizontal stab set and glued. I will get it all ready to fly and keep the engine off and break it in on the bench. The Velox will be next on the bench after that. I am looking forward to see what a Saito 1.50 will fly it like with a 17x6 prop. I appreciate the info on the washers also to straighten the up lines. How does she hover and torque?
Jeff
Old 03-14-2007, 05:26 AM

sounds like you 've got it going on with the fliton, beefing up the firewall is a great idea, As for the velox, I think hovering & torque rolls are it's best qualities. I've never had a plane before that I could bring down so low to the ground. It's very stable and predictable. I do have my cg pretty far back though.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 AM

What is your CG? I like mine neutral to slightly tail heavy. How is KE with it that far back?
Jeff
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM

@6.2" its a little tail heavy,KE is just about perfect and you have more control than you need to hover this bird too,which is easier to adjust than lacking tail control. I've had a plane or 2 that were lacking the rudder control needed to keep it upright in hovers,not with this one,I will have to up the expo & cut down the throws. Since my first flight I have moved the Cg forward maybe 1/8"-1/4" and re balanced laterally. Hoping for good weather this weekend to really wring it out. So far the plane is worth it alone for the KE and flying in general.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 AM

Mix,
Is your new CG at 6.2 or is that where it was? Let me know so when I get ready I can cut to the chase and get it right to start.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-14-2007, 12:49 PM

It was 6.2, now its a little less (maybe 1/8-1/4" less),but I havent flown it a second time yet.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:17 PM

I have had several dozen flights with the Velox so far and it continues to be he easiest and most predictable plane I have. The OS 160 is starting to free up and seems perfect with the Perry Pump and 18 X 6 APC prop. I am using 10% nitro and 20% coolpower and the plane will hover at 50% throttle. Approach and flair out is not much more that a brisk walking pace. I am absolutely wrapped with this airframe. I am now practicing the IMAC basic routine with a view to competing in the mid year. Because it can fly so slow and predictabley IMAC practice is a breeze. Best plan I have so far.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my eye on this plane since it came out,but i felt i was not ready for it.I finally pulled the trigger and ordered it this week,i plan on going with the OS 120 AX.I was wondering what servos you guys are using on this bird,i plan on going with hitec all around and possibly trying a 6 volt setup.I dont see any mention of servos in the manual except they say to go with high torque servos.Also what size spinner is required and if i do go with the 120 AX should i plan on going with the pull/pull setup on the rudder.I know its alot of questions but i just love the way this plane flys in the videos,especially knife edge and i cant wait to get started on it.I have been working out of town all winter and would like to get everything ordered so when i do finally get home i can get right at it.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Flipper430...

I don't use a spinner on mine. I use a Higley prop hub. Works for me. I'm using HS5945 on rudder and elevators. I use HS5625 on the ailerons. They are plenty but I like strong servos to avoid any chance of flutter.

I'm using the mighty 110 which weighs 27 ozs. I think the OS120 is about the same weight. I had to use the rudder servo as a pull/pull to balance. Even then I have the battery and stuff as far forward as I can get it. The battery is outside the motor box and as far forward as I can get it. I balanced at 6.0" with out adding any weight, but just barely. I'm sure you'll like the pull/pull rudder.

I'm running 4.8 volt battery but I wish I'd have went with 6 volt.

Thanks
Barry
Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 AM

hey guys, I am still loving my velox! I fly it almost every day. I think this is a gem of an airplane. I was thinking of ordering a spare. does anybody know anything about maxair, are they going to be introducing another version of this plane ?as good as this one is, I'd love to see a bigger one with a different covering/look
Old 03-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info Barry,just a few more questions.I dont see any mention of the number of servo extensions required and the legnth.

Also what type and size of battery are you running?

Thanks Flipper
Old 03-24-2007, 02:10 PM

I'm running a Hydramax 4.8v 1650mA NiMH battery. I think the extensions were 24" for the elevators (2 required) and 12" on the Ailerons, (2 required) and 1- 12" on the battery and another 12" on the throttle servo. The rudder with the Pull/Pull can just plug right into the receiver.

I have no idea about whether or not Maxair is coming out with other models. They seem to be just "hanging" there with little or no activity. I'd like to see them do more personally.

Thnaks
Barry
Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 PM

Flipper430---I also use a 120 two stroke on my Velox and I run a 6 volt 1700 Sanyo pack to power Futaba 9451 for rudder, 9405 on ailerons, 9550 for elevator, and a 9650 for throttle. I get about eight or nine flights on each charge. I prefer the six volt pack, even though I had to mount it as far aft as I could for balance. My engine weighs a few ounces more than the OS120AX so I had to move the battery aft. You should not have a CG issue with the OS and either 4.8 volt or 6.0 battery. You can locate the battery to get the proper CG. Works for me !
Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Ok guy's,i need help choosing some servos for this bird.I was thinking of hitec 5625's all the way around @ 6 volts,what do you think?

Also any suggestions for a throttle servo.And i'm still wondering what size spinner,maybe 3 inch?

With the digital servos is a 1700 nicad pack @ 6 volts ok? or would you go with nimh?

With the os 120 AX is a APC 16x4 the way to go?

Also any tips that you would do different durring the assembly would be appriciated.

Flipper
Old 03-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Flipper,
I just ordered 5 5625s for $44.99 each from my hobby shop and I have a 1500 ma 6 vt battery going into mine. I am going to use a standard mg servo for the throttle. I have a Saito 150 for power with a 3" tru-turn spinner and a 17-6 APC. TBM has them for $45.00 each for 2 or more. http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Servos.htm

Jeff
Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 AM

I have 2 OS 1.20 AX and 1 OS 1.08.love them all,good for sport & all out 3-D without the need for any fuel delivery system(assuming tank is not too far from engine). I use Zinger 17X5 for all of them,getting mid 9,000's RPM and very rapid spool up which helps hovering the most. An APC 16X4 will be too light a load on the engine IMO,you can tell if the engine is screaming just to fly straight & level at decent speed. I use Hitec 5625 for ailerons,HS635 for elevator halves and another 5625 for rudder. On throttle, I've switched to digi's,HS5745 I think,its the standard digi w/Karbontie gears. I chomping at the bit to get out again with this plane, I have a feeling after flight #1, this will be a keeper, I hope Maxair stays around, I have a knack for buying dead horses: EF Yak,C. Hyde DV to name some.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM

I use the Hitec HS85MG mini servo on the throttle. I use 5945 on the elevators and rudder and 645 on the ailerons. They work very well.

Mix...get that plane up again. I want to hear your thoughts.

thansk
Barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.