Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilot RC 30cc sbach 342 build thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilot RC 30cc sbach 342 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:20 AM
sawooten
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot RC 30cc sbach 342 build thread

Hello all, I haven't been able to find a build thread specifically on this plane so I figured I would start one.

I ordered mine from chief on Monday and expect it to arrive on Friday. Looking forward to building this one especially since most of the work is done already. The entire aircraft is pre-hinged from the factory.

Here's my gear I'm gonna use on it:

dle 30cc rear carb
18/8 xoar the "sword" prop
4 tower hobbies ts 150 servos (2x aileron and 2x elevator)
tower hobbies ts 150 on rudder and another small tower hobbies servo on throttle
I will be flying with a jr 7202 tx and using a jr 72 MHz rx

Servo wise it recommends a 150 oz on all surfaces and mine are running 193 @ 6 volts so should be more than enough power.

I am also using two nicad 2000 batts one at 4.8 for ignition and the other 6v

Well I will start posting pics once she arrives this weekend..... Happy flying and good luck to all

Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Pilot RC 30cc sbach 342 build thread

If you want to clean up the ugly graphics job let me know.

You're going to love that plane, flys as good as it looks.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM
RACJ

Subscribed. I've been considering one of these and going electric. Glad to get chance to see how it builds out.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM
sawooten

Ok she arrived on my doorstep today.... Packaging was 100% awesome not a scratch which says alot since it was shipped ups.... Plane looks great and I'm very excited to start the build.....

My only issue is I didn't see an instruction manual with it.??? I may have overlooked it but not sure cuz I had to hurry back to work.

I hope to begin the build Sunday so I will keep you posted
Old 12-17-2010, 11:33 AM
sawooten

Ok so I talked to chief and apparently chief went green??? Oh well the instructions are on thier website so I'll get it
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 PM
racelikustolit3k
My Feedback: (73)

INSTRUCTION MANUAL????? who needs one of those....

shawn did you ever find the L/G for the plane ??

I guess we are headed your way sunday for the party, I will bring the cam and get some build shots and bring the beer.

RACE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77804.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1535506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15794.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1535507  
Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 AM
sawooten

Ok so I have run into a little issue here and of course I found out too late to call chief so now I have to wait til monday. Chief swears up and down that they check every box before it goes out to ensure every part is in it. Well my Sbach is missing the landing gear and they sent me the wrong tail wheel. So I have everything I need except the landing gear?????? Kinda a little bit important to have landing gear...... So I guess I will just continue the build and see what chief says on monday but they better be prepared for a very unhappy customer. I mean missing a control horn or something small is nothing but the landing gear???? come on guys you can do better than that.

Anyways I am gonna keep building it and hopefully I will have the gear pretty quick. So far its going really good Ive got the rudder on and servo and pull pull cables attatched and all the control horns epoxyed in. All is left is mounting the engine and installing all the rest of the servos. Should be done Sunday and I will try to get some pics uploaded. My mac doesnt seem to want to let me upload photos though for whatever reason.

The rudder was not as described, I was told by chief that it had a long pin that went through from the top and secured into the tail wheel however mine did not have this. It had 3 hinges I had to epoxy into the fuse. It was pre drilled though so that made it nice.

Will keep you all up to speed with the gear situation and the build as she continues.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

The hinge pin is in the wing tube.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:22 PM
sawooten

Actually this one is supposed to be the new "revised" arf and doesn't have the hinges like that anymore. It had 3 hinges pre glued to the rudder and the slots already pre cut out on the fuse so I just had to epoxy them in.

After much discussion with chief today my gear will arrive wednesday and I will be able to finish the plane. I am gonna try to upload the pics from the build if I can get my mac to let me.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 PM
sawooten

Ok sorry for the delay guys,

The instructions for the 30cc pilot planes are very basic general instructions. I would not recommend this for a newby builder or someone who doesnt have much experience building planes. You have to be able to ad lib and figure stuff out for yourself. However the kit comes fully stocked with all the hardware you need. Including titanium push rods for all surfaces and the pull pull cables pre installed.

This plane has gone together faster than any quick build kit I've ever heard of. It is pretty much just through in the electronics and go fly.

I started by installing the control horn on the rudder first. The slots are pre cut but be careful because I've heard some mistake the slots on the lower end of the rudder as the slots for the control rod and its not. Im not sure what those are for but dry fit the hinges into the slots and find your slots before you do any cutting. The slots are a little higher on the ridder than you would expect. Once I had the slots cut I used some fine sandpaper to prep the surfaces of the control horn that would fit inside and applied some epoxy and slipped it into place. The rudder on the new version comes with 3 plastic hinges pre glued to the rudder and the slots pre cut on the fuse. I used some fine sandpaper to prep the surface of the hinges then applied a thin coat of 5 min epoxy and slipped them into place.

While waiting a little bit to make sure the epoxy set good on the rudder I went ahead and set all the rest of the control horns. The aileron and elevator horns are easy to find and are the same process as the rudder.

The servo trays are already exposed for the elevator but you will have to trim back the covering for the ailerons.

I had to use a dremel tool and route out the spots on the bottom of the firewall for the mounts on the DLE 30. The firewall is pre marked for the DLE 30 but the tri stock on the bottom prevents the mounts from setting flush against the firewall so that is where your dremel will come into play. Other than that the motor bolted right on with no issues. However be careful for the top piece of wood on the motor box is not glued on. I almost dropped the plane when mine came out. But this is a handy feature because it allowed for easy access to tighten up the bolts on the stand offs for the motor and I used the servo tray that comes in the kit to put my throttle servo inside this box. The rear carb makes for some fun finding a way to get the throttle and choke hooked up. I gave up on a choke servo and just made myself a push pull rod that had a small handle and runs to the front of the cowl so I can reach in the front to choke it. I will try to load a pic of this so you can see how I did it and maybe it will help you.

Well overall I am very pleased with the plane. I am just awaiting my landing gear from chief which is supposed to be here wednesday. Tomorrow I am gonna finish up with the batteries and rx then try to get her flight ready once I have gear.

Good luck to all and happy flying.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM
sawooten

some photos of the build
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ro41616.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1536608   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr55717.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1536609   Click image for larger version

Name:	gl20046.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1536610   Click image for larger version

Name:	sl27082.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1536611   Click image for larger version

Name:	xi61445.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1536612   Click image for larger version

Name:	iy36479.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1536613   Click image for larger version

Name:	fh80819.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1536614   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec99718.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1536615  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hf70076.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1536616   Click image for larger version

Name:	uh45303.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1536617   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm58688.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1536618  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
sawooten

Alright gents tomorrow is the big day, weather permitting anyways. Everything went very smothly on the build. I only have2 complaints about the entire experience.

1. Chiefs customer service was a little on the crappy side. It took me almost 30 min of arguing with the guy on the phone to convince him that I had checked every possible square inch of the boxes and the lanfing gear wasnt in there before they agreed to send me the gear.

2. The attatchment for the rear wheel is crap. Its a cheap spring that doesnt seem like its gonna hold up so I am currently working on an alternative means to attatch it. For now Im just gonna let it free wheel.

Other than that, Great plane and very easy to assemble.

I am taking her out for the maiden tomorrow and have started my CG out at the center of the wing tube which took me adding 3oz of weight to the nose. We will see how she does and I will post up the report tomorrow evening...

Happy flying and good luck out there

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Good luck on the maiden flight let us know how it went. Want one of these planes bad going with 50cc or 100 cc
Old 12-27-2010, 05:24 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yup, ditto on the rear wheel, I replaced it on my 50CC.

It was a pretty simple mod and works exactly the the Extreme Flight planes.

Remove and discard the spring. Take a ball link end, drill a hole in the rudder and epoxy it in where the spring was attached to the rudder.

Drill out the hole where the spring was and solder a piece of thin music wire in, and have it go through the ball link and stick out past it about 1/2" or so.

Very positive tail control with no direct loads transfered to the rudder if there's a problem.

Bladebender, the 50 CC with a DLE rocks, I'd marry if it were legal in FL
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM
sawooten

well the maiden was a no go today to much wind and had to get the final tunning on the DLE but looks to be all set for tomorrow.

I hope anyways

I will let you know how it goes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:38 PM
sawooten

The maiden flight went great. Winds were almost perfect but worked out well.

This plane flies so good its crazy.... literally landing at walking speeds is an under statement, and the DLE 30 is crazy crazy power on this airframe, I never went over 1/4 throttle the whole day and it jumps right off the runway at less than a 1/4 throttle. Im using a xoar 18/8 sword prop.

I did everything I could to find a bad charateristic in this plane and failed.... I stalled it out in level flight to see if it would tip stall or get crazy when its slow and it was perfect.

Flew her about 6 times today and my buddy race flew it a couple times as well....

Absolutely love love love this plane.... the only thing I am changing is the tail wheel. I think the design was poor but thats ok

Good luck and happy flyin!!!!!!

sawooten
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM
sawooten

Well after some tweaking on my throttle servo to calm it down on the bottom end I am headed back out to the flying field today for some more fun with her.

So far so good. Still no bad flight characteristics that I can find. I might be just a little tail heavy but it lands great so Im not sure. I may try adding an oz. to the nose just to try it out.

Happy flying
sawooten
Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you end up doing with the tailwheel? I am putting mine together and I don't really like the setup they used with the spring getting screwed to the rudder.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
sawooten

As of now I am just free wheeling it and it works well.... its a bit much sometimes to handle on grass but does great on asphault. I am planning to order another tailwheel that has a bracket on it to attach two springs to the control horn of the rudder..... But all in all it handles well with nothing controlling to the wheel itself the large rudder turns it fine on the ground
Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok thanks.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 AM
BarracudaHockey

Remove the spring.

Get a ball link end and drill a hole where the spring goes straight up into the rudder. Epoxy the ball link end in so that the hole is centered fore/aft.

Drill out the spring holder and solder in a piece of thin music wire, make it long enough to go through the ball link with enough extra so that it won't pop out when the rudder is fully deflected.

You now get very positive tail control (the spring is mush), but the music wire will asborb any energy without trasmitting it to the rudder if there's a problem.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting ready to start mine. I've had it for almost a year, purchased it from TBM I believe. Never opened the box; been away from the hobby for some time. I hope mine has the gear!

Has anyone used an OS 1.60 in this model?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
vfalcon7

hello, does anyone know the spinner size?