Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

60 size ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

60 size ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 AM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 60 size ARF

Hi
22 years of flying RC more than most20 plus planes flying
A 60 size stik now with an OS 75 AX -strongest 75 I have foundturns a 13/8 APC
Have slight anheadral built into the wingflys better
Great second and lifetime Keeper
I will never be without one
I have at least 1500 flights on her and is always an enjoyable day at the field
One of the very few planes that was designed just for RC flight
The original 40 size was designed by KRAFT to test his radio equipment decades ago
The 40 size STIK is another keeper but bigger flys better
They fly GREATlooks and being different are a different storybut planes that fly the best are why we are in the hobby
Regards Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52711.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1786757  
Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 AM
cmgtech1

Great Planes Big Stik .60 ARF - OS 61AX or 65AX. You just can't go wrong with this airplane. You may get it as your second airplane, but it will quickly become your #1. $199.99 from Tower Hobbies, minus the discount puts it at $175. If you are a super saver member, then shipping will be free. The hardware in the kit is not premium quality, but it's plenty good enough for many years of hard flying! I built one in 2006 completely stock using the supplied hardware and never had a moments problem with any of it.

She's NOT a 3D machine, but she's very capable of doing all the basic aerobatic stuff. She flies well enough to take you through advanced aerobatics and is still very capable of winning novice class pattern contests. You can use this plane to learn the finer points of things like flying through a roll rather than simply pushing the stick over and waiting for her to come around (although she's happy doing that as well if you want). What I'm trying to say is that she's a perfect all around airplane that has an extremely wide performance envelope. From solid aerobatics, to extremely slow and gentle touch and goes, the Big Stik .60 is a very clear winner. The fact that the model remains in production should speak volumes.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: Iherling

What is a good 60 size ARF ...must be an ARF.. with a symmetrical or semisymmetrical airfoil that is a good 2nd plane. Have done loops rolls some inverted flight with my trainer but want to step up. I have read tons of previous posts on good 2nd planes, but am looking for a down and dirty answer or suggestion
thanks

I was glad my teacher helped me in this area.......of course I did NOT listen and crashed an Extra 300S and a revolver, amongst others. But the best second plane IMHO (No flameing here) is a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick...A.K.A. "Ugly Stick"

I alwayas have one in the hangar, I prefer the .40 size as it is RED and more manevuerable IMHO...I am on my 5th "Ugly Stick" in just about 5 years flying.

I set it up tail dragger so you get used to the rear wheel and on mild rate, it is as tame as a high wing trainer........

with an O/S .55 and the right prop, it is unlimited acrobatics when setup correctly.

They are alot of fun and I even like the .60 size it's just not the good colors for me [:@]

I crashed a few learning to get down "Low" and "Inverted" but I still have and fly number 5 today, and it is my favorite warm up plane as well as get crazy and don't care plane..........

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12299.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1786786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77041.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1786787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15297.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1786788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88829.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1786789  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

I would have to go with either a escapade or a pulse. I have flown both and they are great planes to step up into. They are plenty tame and if you up the throws a bit they can get aerobatic enough to do anything you would really want. Ican not say much to the sticks as I have never flown one but they seem real nice just not my cup of tea. Another design is the Supersportster design just can't recall every seeing a .60 version of it though.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:37 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

+1 on the Big Stick or Ultra Stick.

I have an Ultra Stick 40 with a 70 four-stroke, flaps, crow, etc., and it's my most entertaining and versatile plane. Can fly like a trainer or crank it up & do fun-fly or 3D maneuvers. A great, simple plane.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM
r/coldie

Great planes Big Stik 60... easy build.... good slow flyer.... and will do all basic aerobatic manuvers { plus it's a crowd favorite }
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

My second plane was a Goldberg .60 to 1.20 size Ultimate biplane. It still remains my favorite plane. Don't waste your time on a stick, you will get bored real fast. Just like a trainer.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:29 PM
gsmarino2000

Don't know about being bored with a stick. I've been flying for many years, 35% IMAC, 50cc warbirds, helis, etc. I have an Ultra Stick 40 and I still enjoy flying it. It's a great "kick around" plane. A lot of fun, doesn't cost 3 grand, is easy to fly in the wind. I'm comfortable flying it in club "fun fly" events.

I've flown both Ultra Sticks and a Big Stick. I prefer the Ultra Stick because of the crow option. Otherwise, I thought they were pretty similar flying planes. I think either one would make a great second plane.

Greg
Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 PM
amc72

I had a pulse for my second plane. I now have 2 in different sizes, and wish they had a bigger one.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amc72 - there are three Pulse XT's - 40, 60 and 120.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 AM
carrellh

The real question is not which one is best. I see it as which one can you find.
Maybe it is just me, but there seems to be less 60 size plane on the market...
I think a lot of glow engines were made before .60s came along. But, you are right that 60 size models seem to be less available now than in the past. The primary glow model market seems to be...
40 size
120+ (and a lot of these end up with gasoline engines)

the 60 got left behind, and it is my favorite with a 91 four stroke up front
Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 AM
ec121

The Value Hobby 60 stick(65in. wing) is $88 plus shipping. $105 I put a GMS 75(already had it) on it and turned it to 45deg to let the muffler exhaust clear the fuse and wing. Flies like a really sporty, overpowered trainer. Lots of cutouts to make it lighter. Lands slow. The gear is surprisingly strong for an ARF. I used the hardware. Good second plane without breaking the bank. If I did it again, I would make a straight wing joiner and take the slight dihedral out of it. Just to see how it flies.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 AM
opjose

Anyone who says a Stik can't do 3D, should watch me fly sometime.

Harriers, Torque rolls, Tail touch, etc.

Almost anything you can name... it does well.

One of my favorite moves in a light wind is an elevator with the plane travelling backwards as it decends.

You NEVER grow tired of a Stik...

One of the best fun fly planes ever made.... and far more rugged + durable that the Escapades, Pulses, etc.

I have multiple Stiks in different sizes ranging from .25 through Giant Scale.

The sweet spot for best agility + wind handling and most fun is an overpowered .60.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plane in my avatar is a stik. No dihedral and a 20 degree sweep. I am working on another with 40 degree sweep.

Frank
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Iherling

What is a good 60 size ARF ...must be an ARF.. with a symmetrical or semisymmetrical airfoil that is a good 2nd plane. Have done loops rolls some inverted flight with my trainer but want to step up. I have read tons of previous posts on good 2nd planes, but am looking for a down and dirty answer or suggestion
thanks

Something we should have asked you is what direction in the hobby do you see yourself going down? ... scale, sport, full noise aerobatics/3D ... as IMO, you should be considering your next plane as a deliberate step in the direction you feel most drawn too!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 AM
DenverJayhawk

ORIGINAL: opjose

Ibid!

Big Stik .60 with an oversized engine.... years of fun. Rugged plane, easy to repair, loves the wind, long glides, easy landings, does most 3D manouvers, inexpensive...

What's not to like?

Oh, yeah, they are sort of ugly... until you own and fly one yourself!
+1

Get a big stik .60. You won't regret it. I still regret selling mine and am looking into getting an ElctroStik since i sold off all my glow equipment.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 PM
koastrc

Very true about glo engines before the sixty size. You have got to forgive me and the way I put things into words. What I was trying to say is Lou and Larry said they think the 60 size engine is as good as a glo engines can be. There is smaller and bigger engines. They just think the 60 give more and all 2 stroke engines are set up based on the 60 design. These two guys were great. They were on the USAF world wide team. Both were great aircraft and engine designers. Lou in R/C and Larry in free flight. Some of the old timers remember them both. Lou had many pattern ships he kitted. I lost my ENYA 60 they gave me. I lost it in Katrina. It was heavy, strong, and ran just great.
I like 60 size two strokes and do wish there were more 60 size aircraft out there.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM
ec121

Ed Moorman did a test on sticks by removing the traditional tapered stick wingtips and adding fences (about 3/8" high all the way round) to the flat tip ribs. It lowered the stall speed and really increased the roll rate, but the plane wouldn't spin well. Hard to stall into the spin. Made the airflow over the wing more laminar thus making the ailerons have more effect. After I beat up my stick(still shiny new!!) some I'm going to give it a try.