Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
I do have a couple of old students that may only fly once every few months and get upset because they don't get any better at it. When they do come to the field they may only get in one flight and BS with the other guys, that's OK too but then I don't want to hear them complain about not improving.
Don't you just hate that? It is one of those things that you just scratch your head about. A guy will come out and fly once in a month or once in a blue moon and then get hot about everything that happens. He'll crash or break up the landing gear or something doesn't work right and wonder what the heck went wrong as if to set expectations without practice?

My thought is, if you want to get better you have to fly and practice to get better. I love to see when the guys make a strong effort at keeping at it!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
fred985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: FlyinTiger

For people who's closest club field is over an hour away, I can see learning on the Champ, Super Cub and I recommend the full size Parkzone T-28. All of these models together equals one larger model, but it also gives these guys that have no instructors a chance to progress in a way that they will have all their airplanes after learning to fly.

After a person can take off, fly figure 8s at a constant altitude and land both directions, I always recommend someone go to a club event to fly with others, watch others, and VERIFY what they have learned is a safe and productive flying style. There are often fun fly events at local clubs and they can be looked up quite easily these days online.

If a person flies in a public park or soccer complex it is EXTREMELY important that they are extra careful to avoid people, as these places often have a lot of activity and most spectators don't stay a safe distance away. Also, a small three pound plane can still do a lot of damage, especially if it hits someone in the head.

Throttle management is the one thing I see people struggling with...even those that learned on a buddy box with an instructor. Under powered glow trainers are more forgiving when the pilot takes off and leaves the left stick full forward until landing.

Speaking of the left stick...rudder training is a MUST. People need to learn how to keep a plane going down the centerline of their runway surface (gym floor, soccer field or club runway) to avoid taking off into people or in any direction not intended. There are other uses for the rudder, but if we could start here, runway centerline control, we'd make a lot of progress.

Regardless of the aircraft, I teach a syllabus that only focuses on basic building blocks for a good take-off, pattern and landing, from BOTH directions....that's it.

Straight and level flight, small corrections
Figure 8s, simulates each side of the traffic pattern when the plane is turning toward the runway from the back side of the eight.
Square patterns in the sky, constant altitude.
Bring the pattern segment that is over the runway lower and lower until doing low passes. Teaches approach and go around techniques from BOTH directions.
Square pattern approach to go around after reaching ground effect (one wingspan above the ground) where they learn to throttle up, fly level to gain speed, then execute an on centerline climb out before a gradual climbing turn to crosswind.

At this point have the student do a loop once in a while to practice throttle control. Power up, pull...on the back side of the loop have them bring the throttle to idle, then back to half when level again.

Next is rudder control exercises. Being able to drive the plane from one end of the runway to the other, from the pilot's station, on centerline at a slow speed is a good way to start. The student should be able to drive the plane down the runway centerline, slow by coasting at idle and wagging the rudder if necessary, then turn around and taxi back to the other end of the runway without deviating from the centerline more than two or three feet maximum.

Takeoffs are next. Taxi faster down the center line, smooth throttle push to 3/4 power, then gradual climb out into the pattern, just like they practiced before on the ''go around'' training.

Landings. At this point they can be crosswind landings or calm wind landings, use what you've got.
Practice each maneuver on the simulator before the real thing and between training sessions...go to the local hobby shop, use the sim for free if necessary.

This usually takes a minimum of eight training sessions for a person that has never flown before. If the student is using the simulator between sessions and at the field once or twice a week, maximum. This stuff takes time to sink in...rushing it faster than eight sessions and 30 total days to solo is usually a bad idea for most students.

Full scale pilots tend to take slightly longer to train.

I've trained people that taught themselves and just wanted to get more precise and confident with their flying on a larger model...took about eight training sessions, but sim time was not required.
i have to agee with tiger on the problem full scale pilots have with RC flight. i learned to fly in my 450 stearman back in the late 60s with a teriffic instructer,,,,i flew the 17 for 12 years then got a howard dga 15p and flew it after an hour to get the "numbers" straight. both of these birds were suposed to be pure killers unless you had a zillion hours. i had a hell of a lot more hours of buddy box time in than i had in the stearman before i could solo. the skils from full scale to rc dont translate directlly. if you search N-4734-C you should find a picture of my old stearman,,,i wish i still had it.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: GBLynden
Tell me what makes you think I only have four months of experience in this hobby? Some of the videos I posted were of me flying ultra micro planes that are as you said ''more difficult to fly than their bigger counterparts''.
Your profile is about 4 months old, and the advice you gave sounds like the perspective of someone who's new to the hobby and still in that excited, buy a new plane every other week phase. If you've actually been at it longer than that, feel free to correct me on that point.

And even though I respect and appreciate all of your responses, I still believe in the path that I layed out above for many of those new to RC planes. If you can master a Champ and then a four-channel Ultra Micro T-28, then you are golden.
If the goal is to fly park flyers and toy grade airplanes forever, you're right. But if the goal is to move on to bigger, higher performance planes (more wing loading, less forgiving stall characteristics, more speed), you'll actually learn some bad habits that will cause you to have crashes that you wouldn't have had had you learned to do things the right way the first time from a qualified instructor.

I wouldn't have done it any other way. It wouldn't have been fun learning from someone telling me what to do at every turn. Learning things on your own is one of the fun and exciting things about this hobby.
There's the root of why so many guys never learn to fly or never move beyond toy grade planes. They want it to be immediately fun, whereas actually learning proper flying skills is mostly work. I see guys who have been in the hobby for 2-3 years who still can't do a straight takeoff or a smooth landing, or can't do an accurate turn or straight pass. The reason is that it's not fun to work on those fairly pedestrian skills, so they don't bother. An instructor knows what you need to know and will hold you to learning those things until you really have them right. It takes some pretty incredible self-discipline to hold yourself to learning all the flying skills you need when you could be up burning holes in the sky instead. Of course, if the plan is to stick to toy grade airplanes, I suppose it's not important to learn how to do those things.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

jester s1, I tend to agree with you on your thinking on toy grade planes. I've been involved in model aviation in one way or another for over 50 yrs. In our club, I'd guess 95% of the planes are ARF's, and half of those are foamies. Folks just don't want to take the time to build, hence the popularity of all the cheapy bnf planes. Years ago, my favorite trainer plane was the Sig LT 40, and I still think its hard to beat. I've been away from instructing for several yrs now, so I'm trying to catch up with the changes in trainer airplanes that may have come along. I have a couple of guy's interested in getting started in R/C, and want to get them off to a good start.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Guys: Please let's not get this into another "toy airplane" threads. I hate it when that happens.. [X(]
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
hlh3rd

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Guys: Please let's not get this into another "toy airplane" threads. I hate it when that happens.. [X(]
I couldn't agree more. I started out with my Hobbyzone Champ a year and a half ago, and still enjoy my morning and evening weekend flights with it at the park and thelocal school soccer field a few blocks from where I live. With my limited space, budget, and transportation,(I can't afford a car,so I use public transportation.)the Champ as well as the other cool ultra micro planes havemade it possible for me to experience joy of RC flight, somethingthat would have been impossible for me just a few years ago. I also use a Clear Viewsimulator to practice four channel flyingforwhen I eventually upgrade to a more advanced ultra micro like the Park zone Trojan. Once I master theTrojan, I'll hopefully be ready for the E-Flite UMXCarbon Cub SS, which is the plane I really want.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

jester_s1 Understood. I can see where you were coming from now. It will be two years in March, though the last year has been more focused on flying than the first one. The reason I posted what I did was to help people not jump ahead too far to fast and make the same mistakes I did.
jetmech05I do, but it isn't black and white. It is easy to get into the air and it is very easy for someone to bite off more plane than they can chew. For instance, off the bat I tried to fly my EDF jet a few weeks after I had some command over my Champ in the air. Needless to say, it lasted only a few seconds before I stalled it and sheared the left wing off of it. I certainly learned the hard way, but that is why I suggested the conservative approach I did, which is targeted at those that do no have time for or want to have an instructor.

Safety ettique is very important and I agree. However, this is the age of the internet where most things can be researched online without having to worry about depending on someone else for it or having to do that and pay money for it. To the point about tuning an engine, like many others that are new to the hobby, I have zero interest in gas powered flight and never will. It is messy and transporting petro products in my car is not going to happen.

But again, to echo what all of you have said, the best course of action is to get with an experienced instructor. Where I am coming from is knowledge of the next generation of flyers and how they think. I grew up on video games, so using a controller is second nature. Also consider that many of us has used a number of different controllers and played game series like Halo for XBOX that change what the buttons do with each release. With that in mind, adapting to 4-channels from 3 is nothing because we are used to adapting.

The older beginers with no experience with said technology should 100% ignore any advice I contributed to this thread.
LuchniaWhat I outlined above helps eliminate that for folks who are indepenent minded folks by taking it one step at a time and actually flying to improve their skills at a measured pace.

I agree completely. Just because they are mass produced doesn't mean that they are toy grade. I will conceed that the Champ is pretty "toylike", but the others I mentioned are excellent flyers and not toys.

To the folks that are experienced modelers, I respect your skill set and artistic experession. However, the whole point of flying is to get in the air and outside of the shop.Technology makes it easier these days to fly and enjoy it sooner. The thought of waiting twiddling ones thumbs for an entire year before flying is simply rediculous in 2013. You learn by doing and not by waxing cars. "Wax on, wax off".

Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
GBLynden

ORIGINAL: FlyinTiger

For people who's closest club field is over an hour away, I can see learning on the Champ, Super Cub and I recommend the full size Parkzone T-28. All of these models together equals one larger model, but it also gives these guys that have no instructors a chance to progress in a way that they will have all their airplanes after learning to fly.

After a person can take off, fly figure 8s at a constant altitude and land both directions, I always recommend someone go to a club event to fly with others, watch others, and VERIFY what they have learned is a safe and productive flying style. There are often fun fly events at local clubs and they can be looked up quite easily these days online.

If a person flies in a public park or soccer complex it is EXTREMELY important that they are extra careful to avoid people, as these places often have a lot of activity and most spectators don't stay a safe distance away. Also, a small three pound plane can still do a lot of damage, especially if it hits someone in the head.

Throttle management is the one thing I see people struggling with...even those that learned on a buddy box with an instructor. Under powered glow trainers are more forgiving when the pilot takes off and leaves the left stick full forward until landing.

Speaking of the left stick...rudder training is a MUST. People need to learn how to keep a plane going down the centerline of their runway surface (gym floor, soccer field or club runway) to avoid taking off into people or in any direction not intended. There are other uses for the rudder, but if we could start here, runway centerline control, we'd make a lot of progress.

Regardless of the aircraft, I teach a syllabus that only focuses on basic building blocks for a good take-off, pattern and landing, from BOTH directions....that's it.

Straight and level flight, small corrections
Figure 8s, simulates each side of the traffic pattern when the plane is turning toward the runway from the back side of the eight.
Square patterns in the sky, constant altitude.
Bring the pattern segment that is over the runway lower and lower until doing low passes. Teaches approach and go around techniques from BOTH directions.
Square pattern approach to go around after reaching ground effect (one wingspan above the ground) where they learn to throttle up, fly level to gain speed, then execute an on centerline climb out before a gradual climbing turn to crosswind.

At this point have the student do a loop once in a while to practice throttle control. Power up, pull...on the back side of the loop have them bring the throttle to idle, then back to half when level again.

Next is rudder control exercises. Being able to drive the plane from one end of the runway to the other, from the pilot's station, on centerline at a slow speed is a good way to start. The student should be able to drive the plane down the runway centerline, slow by coasting at idle and wagging the rudder if necessary, then turn around and taxi back to the other end of the runway without deviating from the centerline more than two or three feet maximum.

Takeoffs are next. Taxi faster down the center line, smooth throttle push to 3/4 power, then gradual climb out into the pattern, just like they practiced before on the "go around" training.

Landings. At this point they can be crosswind landings or calm wind landings, use what you've got.
Practice each maneuver on the simulator before the real thing and between training sessions...go to the local hobby shop, use the sim for free if necessary.

This usually takes a minimum of eight training sessions for a person that has never flown before. If the student is using the simulator between sessions and at the field once or twice a week, maximum. This stuff takes time to sink in...rushing it faster than eight sessions and 30 total days to solo is usually a bad idea for most students.

Full scale pilots tend to take slightly longer to train.

I've trained people that taught themselves and just wanted to get more precise and confident with their flying on a larger model...took about eight training sessions, but sim time was not required.
This is excellent advice! I am going to go practice the rudder control exercises you mentioned. That is an area I can improve on as is true with most who are honest with themselves and their skill set.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 PM
[email protected]

go to your local flying field ask around see what the flyers there say to you>> get a good 4 channel and get help at the field>>there are a lot of good trainers out there
Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM
[email protected]

when you fly toy planes for the first time you might give up so i drive one mile to my field you will find out many things about things u dont like in flying but as time goes on you will like it you might also get to buy a good trainer from someone at your field
Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
jester_s1

GBLynden - You're making a lot more sense to me now too. I didn't catch that your point was for beginners to take it easy and not advance beyond their skill levels. Your first post implied that working through that series of planes on one's own would give one the skills to fly anything they want, which it usually won't. There is an element in the hobby these days that really rubs me the wrong way that essentially says, "I don't want to work on skills. I just want to have fun flying and I don't want anybody telling me anything." I watched a guy enter and then exit the hobby last year who could have done well if he was inclined to listen to the voice of experience, but he just had to do it all on his own and then call to tell me how great he was. About two months later his 2 destroyed Champs and easily another $50 in spare parts were on Craigslist along with a junky RTF he bought that never worked.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
GBLynden

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

GBLynden - You're making a lot more sense to me now too. I didn't catch that your point was for beginners to take it easy and not advance beyond their skill levels. Your first post implied that working through that series of planes on one's own would give one the skills to fly anything they want, which it usually won't. There is an element in the hobby these days that really rubs me the wrong way that essentially says, "I don't want to work on skills. I just want to have fun flying and I don't want anybody telling me anything." I watched a guy enter and then exit the hobby last year who could have done well if he was inclined to listen to the voice of experience, but he just had to do it all on his own and then call to tell me how great he was. About two months later his 2 destroyed Champs and easily another $50 in spare parts were on Craigslist along with a junky RTF he bought that never worked.
I never said any of that. I swear, the bias in this thread is getting rediculous. News flash, most people don't fly stuff they make anymore. Along the same lines, most beginners start out at the hobby shop where most places recommend the Champ or something comparable. If you don't like that, tough. It is not going to go back to the way things used to be and it is only going to get "worse".

Also, just because some guy you thought you could "fix" made some mistakes doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with that methodology. Have any of you actually flown a Champ? The rudder is set-up like the ailerons on a four-channel, so going to a four-channel from a Champ is a natural progression. You just have more control with the four-channel plane because you have both. How that could be a bad trainer plane is laugheable.

Do you start people out with Dual Rates and Expo or do you let them go full rates and not progress up to that level over time?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 AM
jetmech05

GB YOu gave advice that the majority of us disagree with. Under no conditions is it a better road to teach yourself. Can you teach yourself sure too many people are self taught. You cant learn to fly on the Internet.
the easiest. Quickest. Cheapest. Safest. Way to learn to fly is with an instrustor on a buddy box. It is your best Chance of being successful. We never know how many folks try to teach themselves and quit. I dabbled in the late 80's. Didn't do well. It was almost another 20 years before I learner to fly
I also think its best to learn the way you intend to fly if intend to fly 4 or more channels learn to fly 4 channels
There is no bias we just disagree.
Good flying to you
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want to get your feet wet, intro to R/C airplane flying at the park, the Champ sounds great, if you wish to take thing to the next level, get instruction at your local R/C club. I learned to fly control lines by my self as a kid and moved into R/C before the advent of the buddy box, so I know it can be done by yourself but it is just to easy to get instruction these days not too.

Bob
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 AM
GerKonig

Guys: Please let's not get this into another ''toy airplane'' threads. I hate it when that happens.. [X(]

Yes, I agree with you, that is not the purpose of the thread. All the model RC airplanes are toys. So lets not waste time with this nonsense.

Gerry
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM
[email protected]

wake up first time flyers get a 4 ch. radio a good 40 size engine and a 40 size trainer > go to the field and ask for help>>>some stupid foam plane wont help you ask at your local hobby shop > i try to give the best advice i can but you wont learn going out oce a month try for 2 or 3 times a week
Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 AM
jester_s1

I don't too much think I'm stuck in the way "things used to be." I've only been in the hobby a little over 7 years so I'm not exactly an old head who can't understand the new equipment. I'm a pretty casual flyer, making it out to the field every other week usually and working out on the simulator maybe 3 times a week. No, I haven't flown a Champ, but I did have a Slow Stick for a while which isn't all that different. And no, the Champ hasn't become the standard recommended plane to start with. It's not a bad recommendation for someone who just wants to go out to a vacant lot and play with an airplane, but that's about it. What you don't seem to understand is that you're talking to guys who fly serious models and know what skills are required to do so. Most of us have also flown some park flyers and know what skills one will learn with them. So most of us know that these low end tiny park flyers aren't going to help a person build the skills to fly serious models. Since you've never flown the bigger and better performing models, you don't know that, but we do. So as I said earlier, your path will work fine for a person who wants to have half a dozen planes in his closet without spending much money and just wants to go out a fly circuits in a city park. But those who want to move on to the more serious models should go the route that has been proven time and again to be the best route to learning to fly serious models, which is a .40 or .60 size trainer (electric is an option nowadays) with an instructor teaching proper flying technique on a buddy box.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM
hlh3rd

I'm still flying my Champ after a year and a half, and I'm still loving every moment of it. Enjoying a nice morning or evening weekend flight after a long stressful work week is relaxing and therapeutic. I'm also having a blast learning to fly the four channel and more advanced stuff on my computer simulator. Hobbies are meant to be fun, and if we're each having fun in a way that suits our individual personalities and tastes, and doing it in a save courteous manner, then it shouldn't matter how I or some one else learns how to fly rc planes, as well as the type of planes each individual likes to build, fly, or both. 

My enjoyment of this great hobby isn't the least bit affected by a person choosing to go the traditional route of rc flight, and my choosing to start out with a Hobbyzone Champ, and enjoying these wonderful little ultra micro flyers doesn't affect or prevent any one else from enjoying the hobby the way they want. If your not having fun with this hobby, then maybe your in the wrong hobby. 

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

And there you have it. Thats what it all boils down to, having fun. This great hobby can be as cheap as you want it, or as expensive as you want it. I think we had the cheapest cheapskate in rc in our club at one time. A very experienced pilot and builder that turned to buying cheap foam gliders from walmart and hobby lobby and stuffing electronics in from cannibalized carcass's and would fly them in and around tree's. Didnt matter if he crashed, he might have $15 to $25 invested in any of those planes.
Edwin
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

GB YOu gave advice that the majority of us disagree with. Under no conditions is it a better road to teach yourself. Can you teach yourself sure too many people are self taught. You cant learn to fly on the Internet.
the easiest. Quickest. Cheapest. Safest. Way to learn to fly is with an instrustor on a buddy box. It is your best Chance of being successful. We never know how many folks try to teach themselves and quit. I dabbled in the late 80's. Didn't do well. It was almost another 20 years before I learner to fly
I also think its best to learn the way you intend to fly if intend to fly 4 or more channels learn to fly 4 channels
There is no bias we just disagree.
Good flying to you
For some reason your post reminded me of what the difference is in a teacher and a great teacher! I think a great teacher can sum up a student and thinks way ahead into the future for the student. Sometimes a teacher just does whatever suits them and often is not the best for the student. In the first several months while I was learning I came close to quitting just because it was difficult to get anyone to help me and not because I am a quitter. It simpy looked bleak for me.

I even started on one of the electric 3 channel planes - worst mistake I could have made! Like others I had to relearn much. I would never advise anyone to start out that way unless that is what they plan to fly in the long haul and have absolutely no RC growth interest otherwise.

I know the little insruction I do (not much really and I don't even compare to those experienced in this thread) yet, I am always thinking ahead of how I can educate the person on all the great facets of the hobby. I like your statement about best to learn the way you intend to fly. The only thing I would add is that for many of us that changes as we grow in the hobby.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I do instruct regularly, and I have to disagree with several things that have been said here.

First of all, just because a plane is 3 channel or made of foam does not make it a toy. I still enjoy flying my 3 channel cubs, and they make great teaching tools if used properly. And I would disagree that a Champ is any better or worse than learning on a four channel plane. I have modified the foam Cubs that I use for teaching so that the rudder is still on the left stick, but the elevator is on the right stick. This makes the transition to an aileron model much easier since the student doesn't have to "re-learn" ground handling or anything else, they just have to add using ailerons to the skills they already have.

Second, there are many people who think they are superior pilots because they fly bigger planes when in fact, a small and responsive plane like Parkzone t-28 or a Stryker can be a lot harder to handle than a Telemaster or a 71" Cessna made of balsa. In fact, my little brushless J-3 would be a challenge for many who "think" they are above it. The Parkzone T-28 can be a great choice as a second or third plane, but it is no "toy".

One thing I do agree with is that every student is different and a good instructor will realize the differences in his students. I've had some students who learned quickly and/or had prior RC experience with cars or boats and it was apparent after the first buddy box flight that they could start off on something more advanced than a foam Cub. Other students needed the stability and forgiveness of a foam Cub, high wing trainer, and a simulator to help their skills develop.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 PM
jester_s1

I'll definitely agree that if you're having fun and aren't bothering anybody you're doing it right. The one caveat I have to that is that I hope to set the right expectations for the newcomer to the hobby. The start of this thread sounded like if a guy buys that series of planes and flies them on his own he'll become a competent pilot that can handle just about anything. If he sticks with light foamies that may be true, but it won't prepare him for glow and gas aerobats and warbirds and usually won't result in building the techniques to do spot landings or anything resembling perfect maneuvers due to the lack of experienced instruction. But if fun is the goal and one doesn't plan to go beyond park flyer foamies, the OP's path isn't half bad.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 AM
GBLynden

This thread turned into something very special. Even though there was and is still some disagreement on how to approach the beginning phases of the hobby, this is a wealth of valuable information for someone new to the hobby. This will allow them to choose the path they see fit for them. I have also learned a lot as a result of this thread and realized my "perfect" approach is not right for everyone, in fact it may only be right for those that only want to have fun buzzing around with these planes without crashing....very often.

Thank you to all of you that posted in here!!!

To celebrate, here are some more recent videos of me having fun with my "toys"

More Champ Fun: http://youtu.be/OLVFWfZ19DE

More UM T-28 fun: http://youtu.be/2XFatTuc1FY

More UM Stryker fun: http://youtu.be/g30KU4bJtVc

More F4F Wildcat fun: http://youtu.be/3EBXQzjyBwk

More F-18 EDF jet fun: http://youtu.be/EseHS8bPaUA

Mini Vapor indoor plane flying outdoors in wind: http://youtu.be/XY9Q_8oA7Rw

Get out there and fly boys!

GB

Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Chucksolo69

GBLynden, you will soon learn, that unlike the other forums, especially RC Groups, this forum is populated by mostly "old school" folks who don't think it is possible to learn to fly without an instructor andusing only "toy" planes (3 channel foamies). Most here think that if a plane is not made of balsa and ply, or runs on gas or nitro, it really isn't an RC aircraft.

About a year ago, when I was just getting into the hobby, I found this out the hard way and wasjumped on pretty badly by these "old salts." Well,one year and 2 months later, I have 15 planes and fly them all; most are warbirds. I can now do aerobatics and am enjoying the heck out of my "foamie" airplanes. I have since given away my trainers and they are now teaching others to fly RC aircraft. Don't be offended by everyone here basically debunking you, it's common on here. BTW - I have joined a club and have been welcomed there with my foamie airplanes. A lot of they other guys have foamies too and all are looked upon as great airplanes. There is nothing like flying my 58.5" wingspan E-Flight Hawker Hurricane. My flying buddies agree as well.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
jester_s1

I don't think that's a valid evaluation at all. For me and for many others, it's about expectations. If a guy wants to stick with foamy park flyers, they are fine to start with too. But if a guy plans to move to higher performing planes, which does mean balsa construction and either high end electric or glow/gas power, he's going to be behind the curve if all he's flown previously is a 3 channel Super Cub and a UM T-28. I have both, and the balsa planes are my serious flyers, while the foamies are just toys. They look like toys, the fly like toys, and they get treated like toys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.