Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Symthoms of being alergic to CA glue??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Symthoms of being alergic to CA glue??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 06:37 PM
snowwave83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symthoms of being alergic to CA glue??

How do you know? I get itchy eyes and stuff, what about you guys?

steve
Old 12-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Default RE: Symthoms of being alergic to CA glue??

I get high.

Just Kidding.

Sometimes I feel light-headed.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi SNOWWAVE! If your eyes itch, that is an early warning sign. Your reactions can get worse with repeated exposure. Believe it or not, TITEBOND glue can get the job done better, if you don't goop globs of it on it will dry pretty fast, and the price is right. A handy building board is a sheet of styrofoam with waxed paper taped over the plans, a light spray of 3M77 adhesive on the wax paper helps hold the parts in place [you might be allergic to that too]. T-pins push into the foam easily and hold things together, and masking tape holds things also. Pour the tightbond glue into a dixie cup and use a tooth pick to dab it on.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:14 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

For me, it's the same symptoms as people with hay fever - runny nose, slight sore throat. I found that if I take a tylenol allergy pill at the first sign of the symptoms, they will usually go away that day, though. I've heard of others that end up in the hospital, unable to breathe.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I get a tremendous headache, and it feels like it's right behind my eyes. I've switched to odorless CA, and the headaches have disappeared...thank God.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:54 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

LOL! Those aren't symptoms of being allergic! CA makes your eyes water and itch! Open a window where you are working and turn on your kitchen and bathroom fans! Quit huffing it!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:18 AM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

i'm not allergic but when i use thin ca my eyes burn and nose runs.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Mike in DC

My experience is if your eyes are stinging, you are way too exposed to the fumes. Using a fan blowing across the workbench, and avoiding using large amounts of thin CA, should keep you below that exposure level.

For me, before I started using a respirator, the next day I'd have almost exactly what a cold would do, runny nose, congestion, itchiness that would last a day or two. At first, I thought it WAS a cold, but after a half dozen experiences, I knew it couldn't just be a coincidence. Now I use a respirator, and stop and let things clear out if my family notices fumes coming out of the workshop.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:00 PM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

Ventilation is a must with any glues you use. Anytime you have a substance using up the available O2 in the air you can have a problem.

Feb 2004 issue of MAN has a great article on all types of adhesives, it is worth a look. They don't have the article posted, but here is a link so you know what cover to look for.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/

Al
Old 12-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Allergic reaction or just poor ventilation...it doesn't matter. The odorless CA is the way to go. IMHO
Old 12-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Garthwood

Simple solution when I use CA (if you don't have windows) I use a small fan set at the lowest setting about six feet away from me.
CA is quite potent, I used to get nose bleeds while sleeping. At first I could'nt understand why. Later I realized that whenever I had used thin CA I had nose bleeds. For glues I use Weldbond and Lepages Carpenter's glue, they both tack quickly. They do the job just as good as CA without the health hazard. I use minimal CA, and when I do I use the fan technique..............try it.

Garthwood
Old 12-21-2003, 07:20 PM
CafeenMan

I agree with CombatPigg - Use Titebond... it's better all the way around.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:27 AM
snowwave83

Thanks for all the posts guys, keep them comming. I want to start my sig rascal ARF EP in a few days and I am thinking about just using a fan and open windows, will that do the trick. What over the counter drugs do you use? Advil cold and allergy ? Thanks again !

steve
Old 12-22-2003, 12:29 AM
CafeenMan

Dude - you can't be serious? You're going to take meds to mask the symptoms of a glue??? Why not just use something that doesn't cause you problems in the first place?
Old 12-22-2003, 01:13 AM
snowwave83

haha because I am lazy and want to start my plane soon ! I jusg get itchy eyes thats all.

steve
Old 12-22-2003, 10:06 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started, my eyes would swell up and almost shut completely one time. I have started using a long applicator for CA so I don't have to peer right in top of what I am trying to glue. This keeps me back from the fumes and I haven't had any trouble since.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Over the years I get more sensitive to it. Nose runs and sore throat are the most common for me. I got a big fam that sucks the fumes away. That helps. I use a mask when sanding now. Never did that before. It makes it nicer. Not hacking up balsa dust balls for a week.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:25 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not saying that CA is responsible but why are so many young people getting CANCER nowadays? It could be a combination of things.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:54 AM
phread59

For me the symptoms are very easy to detect, I can't breath!!! I am asmatic, been all my life. When I get an allergic reaction my chest tightens up and it gets very hard to breath. I do use CA but I have a ceiling fan just behind my head. I turn it on and glue away. I however can only go for a while before the burning eyes and raw throat come and I have to stop. I am going to try to get away from CA. I bought some Gorilla Glue which is a urathane based glue. I will try that on my next build. I also got some good old Elmers aliphatic resin glue also. Just be aware of your body when using CA. Any change in the way you feeel should be an indicator to take a break. I am very sensative to changes in my body after all these years. So I can work with CA easily. Jusy not as long as I would like. Anyhow sorry for the ramble. Just be watchful of your condition and all will be well.

Mark Shuman
Old 03-11-2004, 11:54 PM
parabellum

burning eye is direct effect of too much CA fume entering your eye ball, not an allergic reaction.

allergic reaction is by definition hyper reaction to small amount of irritant.

runny nose, difficulty breathing etc.

allergy medications do help.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:23 PM
rcpilotgb

i get a rash on my face and arms. at first i wasn't sure what it was from but now I realized that once in a while when i use CA i get the rash the next day. Not every time but it must be when i work with the CA for long periods of time. I have the fan blowing across the work area and an open window. Got the rash right now from working on my plane all weekend. Hopefully now that i have the fan it will not happen again

rcpilotgb
Old 07-20-2004, 05:05 PM
CougarRules

Wow i cant believe you guys get all of these symptoms from CA i have been using the normal thin CA for a few years now and at times have even forgot to open a window and have never had any problems.. Can you develop sensitivity to CA over time or do you react to the stuff from the first time you use it?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:06 PM
parabellum

it varies from person to person. some people gets it first time they are exposed.
where as others may never ever get it.

there are some who used ca for years without symptoms, then suddenly gets severe case.

that's how allergy works.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:14 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

The first kit I built had me unable to breathe for...essentially weeks! Took that long to build. It was immediate in my case. AND it only takes a small wiff of it and I'm done. Can't breathe at all for about two days. As a result, I only use it in instances where a quick bond is needed, along with plenty of ventilation. Otherwise I use tight bond.
I have heard that Gorilla glue is great stuff too. Heard it fills cracks and voids nicely. Ever see that little puff of smoke that rises off of balsa when you apply CA? I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't breathe it if avoidable. [:'(]

Jim
Old 07-20-2004, 08:10 PM
The Ghost

I started to get a rash and small blisters on the back of my hands when I used CA. Seen my doctor and hat some tests done. Found out I became Hyper-Sensitive to CA, polyester & epoxy Resins. I was told not to use them for 12 months, Had more test done after and the sensitive levels had droped. I have gone back to using the good old white glues and use all the protective gear when using epoxy/polyester resins. I don't use CA's anymore. Just remember, If you become Hyper-Sensitive to the glues or chemicals we use you CAN NOT DO ANYTHING about it!!!!! except not use them. So you will not be able build or the possibility to fly. Just think about that. Follow the INSTRUCTIONS that come with the glues.

Cheers,

Remember, Always look after the ORGANIC part of the model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.