Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to "fill" the gap between aileron and trailing edge?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to "fill" the gap between aileron and trailing edge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 03:00 AM
panzer66
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to "fill" the gap between aileron and trailing edge?

Hi,

I found the gaps between ailerons and the trailing edges of wings on my SIG Midstar are pretty wide (about 1.5-2mm). This is my first kit and I guess I didn't keep the gap tight enough.

Will this affect the integrity of the plane? Will the ailerons be teared off in the air? What remedies do I have to fix the gaps? Any kind of fillers available?

I used SIG easy hinges and there is no way I can remove them. All glued by CA thin.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:24 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

You can seal those gaps with any type of strong adhesive tape. Even monokote would work if you can get it to stick well. You just pivot the aileron to full deflection and run the tape along the length of the gap. i.e. fitting it into the "v" of the gap. Make sure you don't have any binding.

I doubt leaving it as is will affect your plane that much. I've talked to guys who swear by it and others who don't think it makes any difference at all. Personally, I have a Magic without and a Stik with.

Do a search here on "sealing hinge gaps". You may find more information.

Mike
Old 06-17-2002, 04:41 AM
TIGER2PLANE

when I get a kit and build it I will not use CA hinges. I guess that I just keep them to long. I built one once with CA and about a year later the hinges broke and almost crashed. Now I use med dubro pinned hinges and epoxy or hinge glue. Never have had a problem since. I also cut out a notch on the working surface so they mount flush so you wont get any flutter when and if you have to much gap
Old 06-17-2002, 12:41 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seal the gap with a strip of covering (as in the picture).

As far as the hinges go... don't worry about them, as long as you used THIN CA on them. I am in the process of restoring (for the 2nd time) a 10 yr old Ultra Sport, and the CA hinges are STILL in great shape on this old war horse!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14654_7722.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	9388