Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 reusing rubber bands? >

reusing rubber bands?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

reusing rubber bands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:20 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reusing rubber bands?

I'm progressing with my training on my LT-40. I've gone through the first box of #67 rubber bands. I just found another box at the LHS and I'd like to make them last a little longer this time. I've heard that you can use talc or corn starch to get the oil off them so it doesn't break down the rubber bands. Is this true? If so when should I deem the re-used rubber bands not safe to use?

Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: reusing rubber bands?

you can get all the rubber bands you want real cheap if you have aq staples(or similar store around)
dont reuse them if they get oily and let them sit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87513.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	483911  
Old 06-27-2006, 09:28 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's true that the talc and corn starch can help, but IMHO it's still not worth the risk of reusing rubber bands. They are your insurance for keeping the wing on your plane while in flight. I recommend to all my students to use fresh rubber bands each day.

I know that the instructions for the LT-40 tell you to use #67 rubber bands, but you can get by using #64 bands. The biggest difference is that you can get a huge bag of #64 bands at any office supply store (or even Wal-mart) for less than the LHS is going to charge you for the #67 bands.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 PM

I reuse mine all the time .I keep them in a ziplock bag with a little talcum powder. I dont really know why I reuse them when you can buy them at Wally world for .89 a half pound. I check 'em good before reusing them ad toss the bad ones. Look for cracks and broken places on them
Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 PM
My Feedback: (2)

How about modifying my plane for dowel/nylon screws. The hardwood block/nylon screws seem pretty easy to line up in the back but does anyone have any tips about drilling holes/adding reinforcement in the LE for the dowels and making the holes straight to line up with the blocks in the front of the wing?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:58 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Neddy191

How about modifying my plane for dowel/nylon screws. The hardwood block/nylon screws seem pretty easy to line up in the back but does anyone have any tips about drilling holes/adding reinforcement in the LE for the dowels and making the holes straight to line up with the blocks in the front of the wing?
If you want to convert the plane to use mounting screws you're going to have to do some major surgery to the wing. You'll have to remove the sheeting from the wing and add solid blocks to the rear area where the screws will go through the wing. In the front of the wing you'll have to remove the sheeting and add a dowel (or two) through the leading edge into the former F-2. This dowel is going to have come back into the main spars of the wing, if you don't do this the loads of the wing will not be transferred evenly throughout the structure of the wing. This will more than likely result in the wing being torn off in flight. Having built an LT-40 from the kit I would recommend that you just leave it as rubber bands and buy fresh bands from an office supply store.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-27-2006, 10:05 PM
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

you can get all the rubber bands you want real cheap if you have aq staples(or similar store around)
dont reuse them if they get oily and let them sit
And this is what happens when rubber bands shoot through the wing [&o]

But, seriously, I use a new set of rubber bands for every day I fly. I got a big 3lb bag of #64 rubber bands in April of 2004 for $1.50, and just used the last 10 this past weekend. Its cheap insurance to be sure the rubber bands don't snap off during flight or anything. One of my friends, on the other hand, uses new rubber bands whenever the old ones snap, and doesn't really care about his plane since its dilapidated. Its a Hangar 9 Xtra Easy II with an Easy Fly 40 wing and a 15 year old (I believe) O.S. .40 FP engine that has more gallons through it than he cares to know. It took him 12 years to solo with that plane, and he just soloed last November. Okay, I'll shut up now before I ruin your thread.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 PM

I reuse my rubber bands after thorough inspection, I always mix new with used each flying day.
My bands stay dry because I devert my exaust down, in fact my whole wing stays dry.
aim your exaust down and add an extension.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91381.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	483958  
Old 06-27-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can clean rubber bands by sloshing them in lacquer thinner. Don't reuse any with nicks or tears or which have lost their stretch.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 AM

neddy191, Your question is how to lengthen the life of your rubber bands on your LT40. First off let us do some simple maths. How much is an LT40? Lets keep this simple, $100-00>>>> How much is a receiver and 4 servos, $50-00 >>>> How much was your motor $100-00. So that makes an investment of $250-00 you have in the air. How much fuel do you use in a days flying, half a gallon>>>>> $9-00. Now we have $259-00. ibrakefornobody mentioned he buys rubber bands in 3 pound lots for a $1-50, so how much is that per rubber band, maybe ibrakefornobody can work that out for you, but i will guess it is less than one cent each. So you claim you want to use your rubber bands more than once, For tha sake of saving how much???????? 3 cents? A 3 cent investment to ensure you will have your wings safely installed on your aircraft each day, that is valued at $250-00 +. I am not trying to belittle you , or be rude in any manner. WHen i looked at my models where the wings use rubber bands , i did these maths , and here in Australia i worked out that a set of rubber bands would cost me 2cents a day. I never did reuse a set , and i never had the fear that maybe a band or 2 will break in flight, and i will crash. In fact i have never had a band give way in all the years i have been flying.. So look at it that way and you decide if you are willing to gamble your investment of hundreds of dollars against 3 cents worth of rubber bands
Bill
Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 AM

I have seen rubber bands break on an LT-40 they were re-used Never have seen new one break though
Madgenius sounds pretty sane to me
Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 AM

The first two I put on are from last time I flew. They are pre streched and hold the wing in place easily so I can put the new ones on top.

I hate the wing tipping to one side when I put the first band on.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: chevy43

I cross the first set of bands and then use 3 sets straight from front to back and then cross the last set of'em for a total of 10 bands.

Ronnie
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

ORIGINAL: chevy43

I cross the first set of bands and then use 3 sets straight from front to back and then cross the last set of'em for a total of 10 bands.

Ronnie
Same here. And yes I agree that the bands are the cheapest investment, but there's also no reason for just being plane wastefull. I've been teaching on Kadets for 8 years now. Usually use ONE set of ten rubberbands every flying SEASON. I wrap them in a fresh paper towel at the end of each day and look for cracks or other problems as I put them on. Never, EVER had one break in service.

MTC YMMV
T
Old 06-28-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a lot of difference between the rubber bands you get at a stationary store versus the good ones from SIG or equivalent. I often reuse bands with never a problem. Of course I do check them out each time I put them on and I keep the used ones in a light proof container (cardboard old cerial can) with kitty litter to absorb any oil left on them from previous use. With a little bit of care and preuse inspection, I see no problem in reusing the rubber bands if they or of good quality.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 AM

hurray for being mama earth friendly and not just tossing old bands

What worked for me:
Inspect them with the attitude, "Go ahead punk, make my day" and toss any that so much as look at you funny.
Touch each with a marker each session and toss any with 4 marks... getting 4 days is plenty of use, retire it with honors.
Get the cheapie bands
Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Let's be (a little) environmentally friendly and reuse the bands.. I know they're cheap but still the least amount of rubber and plastic compounds reaching landfills the better....
Use baby powder (talcum) or corn starch and reuse them until you see them nothched or other signs of abuse.. with enough of them (8 or 9) your plane is safe...
Old 06-28-2006, 01:44 PM

4 bands on the plane, first 2 crossed, second 2 front to back.

I keep using them until they start to visibly dry out, its easy to tell as when you stretch them they go lumpy instead of smooth. I also replace if i see any damage, doing this i get an easy year out of a set assuming they don't get ripped by something

Something to think about though, i've noticed some fuels attack the rubber big time and they start flaking a week after their first use, the fuel i use seems to be pretty kind to the rubber
Old 06-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 bands ???? If that was all I put on I'd blow my wings off in nothing flat. I hate having the wing move while I'm flying.. I also reuse my bands and I keep them in kitty litter when not in use. I inspect them when I put them on and get rid of any that look odd, then change them all after about 3 uses. Been doing it that way for YEARS. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-28-2006, 04:05 PM

yep, 4

they are a pretty tight fit, i've done all kinds of manoeuvres with 4 and never seen any need for more. When i had 4 big loose bands i did notice the wing would slap on the fuse when aggressively going from smooth flying to a hover. But smaller bands fixed it
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I always give mine a spray of windex, dry them off with a paper towel, put them over my plane stand, and use them again next time I fly. If it breaks when it goes on, I replace it with a new one. I've had 2 or 3 snap in flight, but when there's 12 rubber bands on, it doesn't present a problem. Replace the ones that break before the next flight.

Brad
Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM

I want to also point out band sizes as well,
I am using #69 rubber bands, #64 are way too short for the 17" chord of my wing.
I have yet to find a proper size band at any office supply. Yes I can put two 64s end to end but I consider the joint to be more of a weakness than a used rubber band of appropriate length that is still in good shape.
I have yet to have a used rubber band break. I have had some brand new ones break (I had a new one break a couple of days ago and smack me right in the face, everyone got a good chuckle out of it)(I think I got an old box, I told my LHS about the bad ones and got a free box)
I use 10, 4 on each side first and the last 2 crossed to lock them in.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 PM

in my experience (though it be very limited) i use mine for about three days (three flight days), and when not in use keep them in a altoids mint container with baby pouder in it. and i havent had a problem yet with rubber bands snapping.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of times, when I lived near St. Louis, I tried to fly my free flights on a high ozone day. I could not, because I could not get the wings bands on because the bands would break. I did not try it a third time. I am perstant but not completely stupid. Ozone is very hard on stretched rubber.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm with Rodney, put them in a container.......I use and old soup sized can with a lid.......and put in some cat sand. It's clay and it really soaks up the oil and fuel. I do the same thing if I've had a fuel tank leak and the wood is soaked. I just put cat litter in the fuse and let it stand for about a week and it's pretty dog-goned dry!

Andy