Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My alpha 40's engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My alpha 40's engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My alpha 40's engine?

My evo .46 piston locked up and evo is going to warranty it and fix it but they said it will take about 2 months, and I fly a few times per week, my question is what do you fellas think about me putting in a super tigre 40 or 45?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: My alpha 40's engine?

That will work just fine
Old 01-24-2009, 10:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You'll be just fine with one of those.

Ken
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Your piston froze up? What did you leave it outside for five years in the rain? Did you try some raw fuel and slowly loosen it up?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:15 AM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Hopefully you're not running your engines too lean. When it was running how much smoke did you get out of the exhaust?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:20 AM
xcfds65
My Feedback: (10)

Yea put you a super tigre 45 in there and you will toss that EVO in the trash when it gets back in 2 months.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Lean is Mean
No faster way (except crashing) To toast an engine than lean running. read up on break in and engine care hear in the begginers stickys.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Jacked69

To be honest, I flew it the day before and it ran great, I filled it up that night and started her up and ran fine, went to my flying site the next morning, it was around 30 degrees, ( my planes are kept in the basement. So there not outside, it went to fire then heard a odd noise and my hobby shop took the head off and low and behold the piston locked. I will take your suggestions and order a ST 45 now, I know I will toss that evo or just save it for my avistar that has a OS 40 lA. Thanks fellas.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Jacked69

I decided to go with the ST GS45 incase later on I can put it on another sport plane and have enough power, my question is will this engine just drop right in place where the evolution was without any modifications? Thank you all.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have to drill/start new engine mounting holes, that should be it...Rog
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
mclina

The Alpha has an aluminum engine mount that has a bar that goes over the engine's mounting flanges. It is pretty adjustable, so you may get away with just mounting the ST without changes to the mount, unless the width is significantly different.

You will probably have to adjust the throttle linkage, and you may have to rebalance a bit.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Jacked69

Thanks fellas, that was very helpful, now I have flown the alpha with the evo a lot, will I notice a significant power difference from the super tigre? I would imagine I would but just how much of a difference? I also went with the 45 because I picked up a escapade after talking to RCKen and by then I can just put back the evo in the alpha and the ST in the escapade which for such a small plane like the Escapade should make that thing a missle like my pulse 40.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Jacked69

Thanks fellas, that was very helpful, now I have flown the alpha with the evo a lot, will I notice a significant power difference from the super tigre? I would imagine I would but just how much of a difference? I also went with the 45 because I picked up a escapade after talking to RCKen and by then I can just put back the evo in the alpha and the ST in the escapade which for such a small plane like the Escapade should make that thing a missle like my pulse 40.

Where did you wind up finding an Escapade?? As of last friday you said that everybody was out of stock on the Escapade. I'm sure there are others that would love to know where to pick one up right now.

Ken
Old 01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
seahwk95
My Feedback: (1)

Jacked69,
If you picked up an escapade you are lucky since, like RCKen stated, they have been out of stock seemingly everywhere. I just finished the assembly on mine and hope to fly it soon. I noticed in numerous posts that you stated that you have someone "build" your planes due to a lack of time. I'd suggest that you try to assemble the escapade yourself and gain a broader understanding of the assembly process (by no means will it be the understanding afforded by a kit build but it's a start). The reason I suggest this is that, like I said, I've just completed mine. It arrived on 12/30/08. I get very little time at the moment to work on, much less fly, my planes since I not only have a 3 year old nipping at my heals but a son that was born on 12/26/08. The escapade was a very quick assembly with very detailed illustrated instructions. The thread under the ARF/RTF forum provides some excellent help and some of the guys that have assembled the plane (myself excluded) are very experienced. In addition, RCKen has stated that he will assemble and review the plane here on RCU, so I don't think you could ask for a better resource in the event of any questions. I hope you don't take this as a challenge or an insult. It's merely my opinion based on your posts I've read.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

seahwk95,
Correct, I am reviewing this plane for RCU. I started the assembly yesterday afternoon and should have it finished up tonight. It takes me extra time to assemble a plane as I have to stop and take pictures of it for my review. So you can judge for yourself how quickly this could go together. A weekend is definitely more than enought time to get it ready to fly. I honestly believe that you can get this plane together faster than you can charge the batteries to fly (15-16 hours). Great Planes has really done a great job to make this plane a real ARF, meaning there is very little work to be done on it. All control surfaces are pre-hinged, and the elevator and rudder even have the control horns pre-mounted. The engine mount is already mounted as well.

Unfortunately I may not get to fly it anytime soon. We are expecting an ice storm this week and the weather for next weekend is definitely looking "iffy" for flying. That's alright, I have 2 more review planes to get started on to take up the time!!!!

Ken
Old 01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Ken, what other planes are you going to review?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I've always have things coming in for review!!!!

I just finished up a review of the [link=http://electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1144.html]Electrfly Sopwith Camel[/link] park flyer.

I have waiting to do.
[link=http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1143.html]Great Planes Spad XIII[/link] park flyer.
[link=http://www.cermark.com/products/One-Meter-Series-Pitts-S2B.html]Cermark Pitts S2B[/link] park flyer.
[link=http://parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ3400]ParkZone Ember 2[/link]

I am also doing a write-up/review of the 2.4 GHz Futaba module for the 9C radios.

Thanks about all I have lined up right now.

Ken
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Jacked69

RCKen, I actually found one at the hobby shop I had a falling out with when they sold me bad servos and retract servos for my TF p-51 and he called now about a month later and I just asked for the hell of it and he had one and he traded me the cost for the bad electronics etc straight up. I will post pics once finished. I believe they had 2, would anyone like to have me check, I can grab it for you and send it if they still do have another?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVXN8&P=ML now in stock, I have one just to see what $99 buys these days. Not too shabby.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:29 AM
chashint

RCKen, I actually found one at the hobby shop I had a falling out with when they sold me bad servos and retract servos for my TF p-51 and he called now about a month later and I just asked for the hell of it and he had one and he traded me the cost for the bad electronics etc straight up. I will post pics once finished. I believe they had 2, would anyone like to have me check, I can grab it for you and send it if they still do have another?
Must be some truly outstanding people in that hobby shop to even acknowledge your existance on this planet, much less to be calling you a month later about it.