Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 06:54 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: .28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know about using JT parts though with our recent difficulties.

rolland
Old 10-09-2005, 05:19 AM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace the entire brake system also and I also had to clean and re-grease everything that need grease.
hmmm - i cant wait... bloody grease in my grease gun is solid for starters...

i may well grab a buggy roller over the winter and stick some truggyish bits on it ready for the spring... ultra lx or similar seem pretty cheap and spares are easy to get here, not too sure what to look for on a 1/8 buggy tbh. it would have to seriously outperform my mt tho, or its not worth it to me, so could do with trying one first really - any volunteers?

scouser - give ur screen a wipe mate, sounds like its seen one sneeze too many
Old 10-09-2005, 06:15 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it is flu season.
Doubt the buggy will outperform the CEN mate. Most of the reviews I have seen in RCDriver put the top speed at around the mid fourties. That little CEN has got to be hitting 55 easy in second. It will be the handling that sets it apart.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:28 AM
poor judgement

aye, but thats mid forties with a single speed... not bad at all, i quite fancy one of the posh os 21s for it - a 21rzbtgfsdr or whatever it is! still not sure on the top speed of the cen, its silly and makes me swear a lot, but its the handling that im after like u say, along with decent speed.

dont get me wrong tho - the cen handles pretty well, but balancing the power in turns is tricky. the midrange really means it, and holding a nice drift without snapping back to understeer takes some practice, and getting oversteer just right on the way out is very tricky. 2wd is great, enough grip so as not to scare the diff (no slipper clutch) and handling is much better imo - wheelies are a major issue tho in 2wd, but the drifts... oh the drifts...! eh? what snapped driveshaft...?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Scouser

What about the new O.S. .30? That will be out around Chrimbo apparently. I have come to a few decisions myself over the last few days. The S.25 is going back in the Savage, which will be used for beach/building site/thrashing duties. The second Savage is being sold off as a rolling chassis and the RB is going to be held back to await the arrival of a truggy. If Sanata doesn't bring one on the 25th, I have my birthday very soon after. If birthday Santa doesn't deliver the goods then I will get one myself and put the RB to some good racing use. Hopefully the Matrix will be released by then and I will decide between the CEN or the GS.
If everyone is switching brands, the only place we can laugh at each others misfortune will be the truggy thread in the MT forum, in between all the "which truck should I buy?" threads!
Old 10-09-2005, 11:57 AM
rolland

The LX would be a good platform for a build. The handling of a buggy will blow you away. There really is no drifts or slides you have to drive these things. The top speed may not be as high but the corner speed will be higher and it will leave the corners alot faster.
After I finished the conversion on my MT2 I greatly enhanced the handling of it but I was totally blown away on how the ST handled.

The Matrix is going to be offered as a AAR kit also. Not sure of the price.

I have a total of 4 trucks and only one is a CEN and almost all of my posts are here.

rolland
Old 10-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Scouser

Out of interest rolland, what other trucks do you have? The CEN and the XTM but what are your others and which is your favourite?
I have to say that the GS is my first choice at the moment, however you cannot ignore the vast quantities of spares for the HoBao (Ofna in the U.S.) Hyper 7. They are everywhere! There is a private sale I have seen for one buggy in A1 with an 8port, plus enough spares to make a second buggy, all for £300. I have to say I am tempted. A running buggy and the basis for a truggy conversion all for £100 less than a new truck.
EDIT....Santa has spoken. GS SUT pro will be making its way to me tomorrow! Can't have it til the 25th though!! Booo.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
rolland

I have the CEN, XTM X-Factor 2, XTM Mammoth ST, Traxxas electric Stampede.
I would have to say the CEN is my all out favorite. They are all different and suit different purposes. But if I had to keep just one it would be the CEN.

The X-Factor is a nitro rock crawler that has been re-geared lower, 17mm hubs, LST tires with Romulin wheels, 290 cc fuel tank, and some other mods to help with reliability and articulation.
The Stampede has steel tranny gears, aluminum shocks, LRP speed controler, 15 turn motor, Masher 2000 tires, full ball bearings. This thing does close to 40 mph.
The Mammoth ST is still stock and still in the break-in process but it is going to get aluminum arms (the stock ones are lowsy), center diff, 290cc fuel tank, digital steering servo, aluminum clutch shoes, and a JP1 pipe.

The GS is a really good truck you won't be disappointed.

rolland
Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Scouser

Nice collection, as you say, one for each occasion. I am with you on the Jammin JP1 pipe. It will be the first thing I buy for the GS, should go real nice with the RB. I may go for a sliding clutch for the GS, I am going to do some snooping and ask a few questions first though, maybe just get the Mugen set up again. Keep us updated rolland, let us know what works and what doesn't in terms of truggy set ups, it will be real helpful for the future.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:00 PM
rolland

For the truggy I am lucky to have some hard core Mammoth fans on the Global forum. I am pretty much just following what they have already proven works.

I really don't think the sliding clutch is going to be all that good for a racing enviroment. Every body that I know uses the Mugen aluminum clutch shoes and springs and it is the most recomended setup on the forums. For bashing it will be great, I really like the one on my
X-Factor but for a long race I don't think it will last and if it does it won't for long.

rolland
Old 10-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Scouser

Yeah, my searches have turned up similar results, most people recommend standard aluminum shoe arrangement instead of the sliders. What geraing are you using on the Mammoth? Are you racing it or bashing it? Sorry for all the questions!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 PM
rolland

The questions don't bother me so ask away if you want to. I will try my best to answer correctly or try to find the correct answer.

I am going to be racing it and bashing it. Probably more bashing since it is an hour drive to the nearest track.
Unfortunatley I broke an arm right after break in and the aluminum arms haven't showed up yet so the gearing is still stock.
Stock the gearing is 12/17t clutch bell and 60/65t spurs. When I decide to give up the 2 speed and go with the center diff which is a 65t I will probably go with the 13t clutch bell.

Does the Storm Pro come with a clutch bell? If it does you should probably run that until you get a feel for the truck. If it doesn't then you should try the gearing that comes with the SUT CE truck to start with.

Gearing is really dependent on the track you are going to be racing at. A short track will need a lower tooth count clutch bell and a long track will require more top end so you will need a higher tooth count clutch bell.

Poor Judgement, see what happens to your thread when you don't update it. Now we are talking gearing for truggy's.
Just kiddin.

rolland
Old 10-14-2005, 01:16 AM
poor judgement

its ok.

i know where u live!

lol - truggies are the obvious progression i guess.

ive got the day off today, so am going to try to get the ofna mounts redrilled and tapped to suit the clutch bell spacing. got a lot of other stuff to do also tho - out of bed at 7am on a day off... oh man...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:57 AM
poor judgement

ended up with this rough setup til i find some proper engine spacers, but need a few screws... run out of m3x16 and m3x20 for the engine to mount fixing. will grab some tomorrow. front tank will just fit if i cut the excess off the steering arm bit to allow a screw to go up thru the chassis to the tank - will mean another hole in the chassis tho... nevermind.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44653.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	339017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96360.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	339018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38433.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	339019  
Old 10-14-2005, 01:22 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the brace you made to tie the front and rear towers together. Simple and effective.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Scouser

When my fuel tank didn't match up with the chassis holes, I used a piece of thin plastic to bridge the gap and screwed it into the hole that was already drilled. It may not win any beauty contests but if you don't want to drill anymore, it could be the answer!
Rolland, thanks for the tips mate. I have got a 13t cb that comes with the kit but I'm not sure if it will like the RB .28! I have ordered a 14t vented and I have a 15 in case but I think 15 may be a bit high. I have also gone for 10k oil front, 30k middle and 5k in the rear. I will let everyone know how the build progresses.
By the way, I didn't wait til the 25th, I will just have nothing to open on Christmas morning!!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:09 PM
rolland

Poor Judgement, what was the problem with the CT4 mounts? Are you doing this just to have the front to back adjustability?

Scouser, I found an article that has Team GS SUT CE in it and they race it with a 528XR with 13/54 gearing. The fluid that they use is 10k front 50k center and 3k for the rear.

rolland
Old 10-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Scouser

Great stuff mate, thanks for the info. Looks like 13t will be fine afterall!
Old 10-15-2005, 05:20 AM
poor judgement

rolland - yea, i needed the motor further forward for the ofna bell and gears to line up.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Scouser

PJ, if the new engine mounts don't work, I have a set of universal engine mounts here that might help. I used them with the NT16 and they have a huge amount of adjustment.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:14 AM
poor judgement

i think im sorted cheers mate. i needed to go forward about 10mm... quite a bit given how far that would put the engine in relation the the mount to chassis screws. ive used an m4 tap, so hopefully they will hold ok, even with the extra leverage the mounts are seeing (see pics, hard to explain clearly). they certainly seem very solid and they are a lot chunkier than the cen mounts.

it also means that the flywheel is now forward of the brake seat, so no grinding for my new alloy seat, which is nice.

gonna grab a few screws and bits today, and swap the diff casings, brake seat, bearing overhaul, rc10 mounts for rear shocks, change the arms, trip to dishwasher etc etc.

got the weekend pretty free and the suns out! having a break from the s800 as its up n running and now has brakes and a clutch too!! woohoo!! so a bit of a beach bash tomorrow may be in order - ill take the cam... batts are on charge...

EDIT: anyone know where i can get some engine mount spacers to lif the engine by about 4mm. they need to go where the purple piece of alloy is on the above pics. cheers.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Scouser

Shock mounts from an rc10? Is this the a-arm attatchment? I know you don't mean the shock tower!
No idea about the spacers though mate, is the ali you have fitted not doing the job?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:10 PM
poor judgement

does the job, just wanted a tidier job... cant be more than a couple of quid.

i meant the rc10 steering servo mounts, like i did to the front, but havent done the rears yet. the screws in the rear plastic shock mounts are pulling out now...

havent touched it today tho!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 PM
azzman

does the job, just wanted a tidier job
Ha you make me laugh PJ, that spacer you have is nothing compared to the biggest hoseclips you could find on the header!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] hehe.

Could you not use cable ties?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:11 PM
poor judgement

ha - u have obviously never experienced a highly engineered exhaust extraction system on fast truck matey!! zip ties???? theres no way that exhaust would hold together lol...

aye the spacers are a right bodge - i admit it... just cant find any proper spacers, so cut up the nearest likely looking suspect, does the job. how fast did u say ur savage was? i forgot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.