Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:22 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: .28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Hello everyone... I figured I would make another short appearance because I want to comment on Poor Judgements Honda.... All I can say is WOW... I still love the older cars even though I sell new ones... Good luck with the project... I fully expect to see you often here in the forums.. I haven't been around much due to the new baby and all... I still run my trucks all the time especially the MT2... The OS 18 is killer, can't imagine the need for a .28 Later for Now..... RICH
Old 10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice of u to say hello again mate, ive seen u about.

thanks, its a nice car for sure, goes in the garage for an inspection tomorrow morning with a bit of luck... cant wait for the bill....

nah no need for a 28 at all, none whatsoever.... lol... well there isnt really, no.

u still racing? if so with what setup?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
cenracer1

always racing... still using the 2.2 proline pins because they will let me run them... loose alot of top end but quick off the line and turns... will try to convince the powers that be to let me run maxx tires but not yet... The season is over here for the winter even though its still about 80F here.. very dry... no real rain in weeks... Going to the track tomorrow with girlfriend and baby to run for a while.. I will let her run my modded electric but not the MT2... I'm no dummy.... My Ex was from England... I forgot about your crazy inspections and Taxes... Don't miss them... Well Good luck with everything.... [8D] RICH
Old 10-05-2005, 07:55 PM
cenracer1

What did I just write...... I meant to say I understand about the English Motor Vehicle stuff.. My ex wife was from there and I've been there dozens of times... Once again... Good Luck
Old 10-05-2005, 10:45 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just kiddin about the updates.

The only upgrade I did to the diffs is the machined cross shaft. I however did shim the pinion gear and the side gears in the diff. Taking out the slop in the side gears is probably what increased the life of the diffs.

Still have the cam on the desk but the Mammoth is torn apart at the moment for diff shimming and a lock tight treatment. I will post pics when it gets back together.

The Havoc should be a really good bashing truck. I am going to try to get my LHS to order one so I can take a look at it, they cater to the bashing croud so they shouldn't have a problem selling it.

Don't worry about the CEN, it isn't going anywhere. The Mammoth and the X Factor are great but they are still not the CEN. I probably would have bought a Genesis but nobody would give me specifics about the upgrades between the regular Genesis and the LE.

Scouser, if you were to drive an actual truggy (Mugen, Mammoth ST, etc) you would want to sell off the Savage. They handle like a dream on the track.

alvinl, I don't know about the hole little money part I do happen to have a box of failed experiments and I deliberatley didn't keep the reciepts.

rolland
Old 10-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I'm with you on the receipts thing. If I actually sat down and worked out how much I have spent on the Savage in upgrades, I would seriously depress myself! The Savage handles pretty well for something with such a high c of g. There are some small modifications you can do to make it steer tighter and the drive train is now bulletproof. I am putting the final touches to my second Savage that was consructed mainly from the stock parts that were upgraded on the racin Sav. I am hoping the sale of this truck will put some money back into the very battered looking bank account! I was going to sell both Savages and put the RB engine in a truggy, had my eye on the GS SUT pro. I decided against in the end as I really want to do one project at a time and the CEN stadium racer is top of the list at the moment. Good luck with the Mammoth though, post some pics in the pictures thread, I know its not a CEN but it would be interesting to see what else you have been up to.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:09 AM
poor judgement

cenracer - lol, it kinda read like we inspect and tax the women over here... hmmm not such a bad idea if u ask me! as for the car taxing and inspections (MOTs) the little honda is exempt from road tax and the MOT is just a visual inspection, both are due to its age, which is nice. good to hear u are still racing, any pics or vids of the races?

reciepts? dont go there, its a very dark place with monsters n all that. glad to hear the diffs are still good rolland - couldnt tell if u were joking or not on that last "updates" post! hard to tell on the net, if u know what i mean, apols.

truggy is next for me, if i can ever bring myself to pay for one in the uk... nowhere to race yet, the local council have half finished and abandoned an ideal bmx/rc offroad track - petitions have been sent in to them recently. but it should be fine for the beach anyway - the cen is a bit hard to keep a hold of sometimes a truck thats designed for big power should be a little easier to handle... so its got to have at least a .30 fitted or maybe a nice 4 stroke... uh oh... no - it would be kept pretty standard.

so yea, scouser, go sell the savages and get a truggy! run it within an inch of its life and gimme the feedback!! seriosly tho - hows that rb motor doing? any issues with it?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:18 AM
poor judgement

doh - forgot what i was actually going to post in the first place...

UPDATE: i rang GM Models (who are now RC Options, even tho there is a website for each), to see where my pinions were. oops, still on his desk, parts are normally here the day after ordering, but should be here on saturday along with some free steel shielded clutch bearings as means of an apology. now these guys are great. Liam, the boss, is a racer and knows his stuff, very laid back and incredibly helpful. he promised me some RC Options stickers for my shell as soon as he has some more done. yay!! stickers!! lol i found some jt racing stickers on ebay too, not sure if its the same jt racing we know, as these are for the bmx crowd, but still... ive got some and u aint! lol

Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
alvinl

I actually like knowing how much I spend on RC, but that's just me. It doesn't bother me that much. I just with I had enough money to buy all the upgrades I want. In due time. And I also get to spend money on my 1:1 this week instead of on RC.

A .28 is definitely in my future, but I still need to get a little more control over the .18 first. Baby steps here. I would just break things if I had that much power right now. My latest thing is controlling the truck on small jumps. Still amazes me how the truck can flip over in the air and land on the tail end, wrinkling the top and leaving indents where the shock mounts hit and not break anything. I just keep thinking about that .28 in the ATX. One of these days when we get bored with it as it is I am going to attempt it. Sorry for rambling.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Scouser

The RB will be scary when its run in. Thats the problem though, its an absolute pig to start at the minute. I had issues with the pull starter, broke seven times on the first tank run!! Sent it back to Apex who swapped pull starts and its been fine since (touch wood)! Just sitting listening to it idle you can feel how much power it will have when its tuned, thats why I spent so much on the drivetrain of the Savage.
My truggy plans sort of put on hold until Christmas (if you see what I mean), I will see what Santa brings and go from there!
As for the jt stickers, you jammy get. At least I will know who I am bidding against if there are any more for sale!!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:36 PM
rolland

Find yourself an 1/8 scale buggy roller and make a truggy out of it, you already have the engine, electronics, and wheels/tires.
You don't have to buy an actual manufactured truggy the only reason I got the Mammoth is because of the introductory price was a lot lower than making one, in fact I was looking at a Swift roller to do a conversion on. I have seen some Ofna Ultra MBX rollers go pretty cheap on Ebay and the Ultra MBX R2 roller is a really good deal.

The GS SUT is a really nice handling truck also but they are kind of expensive.

rolland
Old 10-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Scouser

I did think about doing a buggy conversion but the only buggies I fancied converting were the Mugen or the Xray. Both would be far more expensive than the GS. The other factor was that GS have a host of option parts from Fioroni which are top class!
Over here, literally everyone is running the Hotbodies Lightning, so the GS would be a little different from the norm, which I also like the idea of. I did look at the HPI Hellfire quite closely but to be honest, I have my doubts about its quality and I thought it looked kind of cheap!
Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a Matrix and do a conversion on that. I will have to see what happens when the buggy gets released, I have got a soft spot for the old CEN!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM
cenracer1

I've been looking into a buggy/truggy also... just can't decide what to do... Love the inferno but just too much to spend for bashing... maybe the matrix or mayhem... seen the mayhem run and looks good.. The matrix just because I love cen... I'm sure its good... Just want to check upgradeability first.. If I can't change the tires..... You know what I mean...
As for keeping receipts... anyone who does is either and accountant or not married... If my girlfriend found out what I spend per week on this hobby... there wouldn't be enough diamonds and roses to fix it... between the cars and trucks, nitro and electric as well as the airplanes and boats.. It gets costly...
I have a truggy already... one of the originals... a Kyosho USA-1 in great running shape... very fast and handles well... I also have a burns buggy roller... just waiting for a new motor and the time to play with it...
Old 10-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Scouser

It is a tough one, which truggy kit to get. The Jammin is out now, the 'factory' Mugen kit looks the business, Kyosho are joining in with the 7.5 truggy, Sportwerks looks nice. Then there is the Lightning range, the GV Mammoth and the old grandad, the GS. My personal choices are the GS and the Matrix. Like I say though, Santa may have already made the decision for me. We shall see. Let us know what you decide cenracer.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:15 PM
cenracer1

Its funny... my girlfriend was just hinting about christmas presents... I was talking about getting a new truck or upgrading the engine in the USA-1... She asked how much a new engine vs new truck was... she didn't even flinch... I have a feeling the engine will win out, but thats ok... I will get the truggy anyway.. just won't tell her how much
Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 PM
rolland

I thought CEN was going to offer the Matrix as a truggy also. I am not exactly sure where I read that but it was a post by them.

Scouser, the prices for GS products must be cheaper over their. I can get a Kyosho 7.5 RTR for almost 100.00us cheaper than I can get the Storm Pro kit and the Fioroni parts that I have seen are outrageous as far as price goes. Or maybe I am just cheap and don't want to spend 80.00 plus for a clutch.

rolland
Old 10-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Scouser

Over here the GS pro kit is about £400 or $720 approx. If I were to do the Mugen truggy I would have to get the MBX5 to convert which is about £500 or $900 and then get the conversion kit, which will be another £150 or $270 at least.
The Hyper kit and the Kyosho would be cheaper than the Mugen but when you add it up the GS saves you a bit and is ready to go as soon as you put the engine and electrics in it, which I already have. I was going to get the GS initially instead of the HPI and although I don't regret buying the Savage, with hindsight I would have done thing differently and saved a bundle!! Ah well, you live and learn!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:29 AM
poor judgement

UPDATE: bits to fit next:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48333.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	335780  
Old 10-08-2005, 07:33 AM
poor judgement

oh and the honda has just stung me - needs clutch and brake master cylinders and clutch slave cylinder... erm, not cheap or easy to find, but on their way as exchange items. rest of the car is looking good, engine is turning over ok, petrol was still in the fuel lines up to all 4 carbs, things are looking pretty favourable overall for firing it up next week. fingers crossed...
Old 10-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Scouser

Good luck with the motor mate(1:1), sorry about the parts but if was too easy, you wouldn't get the satisfaction at the end of it all!
Are those hinge pins in the photo? You been having trouble with the CEN stock ones?
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 AM
poor judgement

hinge pins? where u looking? theres ofna adjustable mounts, 11/15 pinions, clutch bell and bearings there. must be the way ur looking at it, or the way i took the pic...

oh ebay item 5981984979 - enough said! lol, check his other items for similar bits to suit 18s etc.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:04 PM
rolland

Is there more to a truggy conversion other than wheels/tires, and gearing?
I have always thought that if you used a wheel like the Imex Romulin with the 17mm hex or the ones off of the Ofna Blazer with the maxx size tire of your choice and change the gearing that was pretty much it. Granted you would have to change shock springs and oil along with diff fluid but that is pretty much standard track tuning.
I really don't see a need for the "conversion" kits. Just buy the buggy of your choice and do what I mentioned above.
Maybe I am completely mistaken I really haven't researched truggy's that much so I am not 100% sure.

Poor Judgement, how long has the Honda been sitting? Regular brake fluid is pretty destructive to brake parts when a vehicle is left sitting to long and it also absorbs alot of moisture so make sure you flush the system thoroughly. If the car isn't going to be driven regularily I suggest going with silicone brake fluid it holds up alot better and handles heat alot better but it is kind of expensive. Hopefully your fuel is alot better than ours. If a vehicle sits long enough for the brakes to go bad it is almost gauranteed that the carbs will have to be rebuilt. We have alot of alchohol in our gas and it isn't aluminum friendly.

rolland
Old 10-08-2005, 01:21 PM
poor judgement

i was under the impression that truggies were longer and/or wider than their buggy equivalents - could well be wrong tho

yea - the honda will get all systems thoroughly flushed. we have a spare set of carbs ready to go, still greased up - will try the ones that are on it first as they should be somewhere near the right tune. 4 tiny carbs feeding a 800cc motor are a bit interesting to set up from scratch... cheers for the thought rolland

its been sitting for about 5 years since we last gave it a little run and check over - sorting the obvious stuff, then gonna run it and see what else is moaning... shouldnt be a lot, its been dry stored, obviously.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:32 PM
rolland

The grease in the suspension is probably rock hard, u-joints, ball joints etc.
When I picked up my Kombi VW it had been sitting for a number of years and I had to replace the entire brake system also and I also had to clean and re-grease everything that need grease.

Good luck with the Honda.

Right after I posted this I saw an add for a 800cc fuel bottle. Kind of puts the displacement into perspective.

rolland
Old 10-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Scouser

PJ, sorry mate, the old eyes aint what they used to be. I was looking at the engine mounts, they kinda look like hinge pins rolled together (if you stand back and squint!!).
The full truggy conversions include a longer chassis and different shock towers aswell as all the drivetrain shafts and assorted other necessities. The cheapest I have seen a JT truggy conversion kit for is £135. Of course it is perfectly possible to stick a pair of HPI nubz, a larger clutch bell and a 1:10 stadium shell onto a buggy and bob's your uncle! All down to budget and when it comes to my Christmas present, no price is too great!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.