Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

.28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: .28 in a funfactor? oh dear....

Something they are putting in the water up in the north east! (Stella?)
Old 08-03-2005, 07:00 PM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jamesons at the mo... but i did start with the wife beater juice, yea! lol
Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
poor judgement

shame its pouring with rain and i forgot to put the clutch springs back in...

bits i forgot i need: a batt box - the rx is going in the rear mounted box, a servo extension lead, and a new mst-1 tank, cos some idiot cut the wrong mount off it with his dremel.... sometimes i could just shoot myself. very nearly there tho.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66461.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	305496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66109.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	305497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52309.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	305498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48092.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	305499  
Old 08-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Scouser

The end is nigh!! Soon you'll be down the beach scaring the public. You know it's just dawned on me, within two weeks I will have a spare S25 engine and a spare CEN chassis. Hmmm.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:50 PM
poor judgement

aye - that sounds a bit tempting scouser - get it in there!
Old 08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Scouser

Now the big block FF is nearly done, are you going to set about the centre diff project next?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:14 PM
poor judgement

will see what bits i have for the centre diff chassis, and what its gonna cost me to finish it off. trouble is - its all my spares that i would use to make it up with.

was thinkin of going with a st style on that chassis, it can be a bit hard to handle as a rally with the 18, the wider suspension arms would allow me to use it a bit more seriously offroad than a rally setup. if it actually works ok in the first place that is...

this is all getting a bit outta control! where do i start with the thing...?!.... u gotta love junk rooms!

Name:	Zx71910.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	305614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84921.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	305615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50040.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	305616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52523.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	305617  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:30 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That header you made is gonna work great. The only thing to be concerned about is with all of the silicone joints it might have a tendancy to come loose. You might want to make up a pipe hanger to hold the other end of the pipe so it doesn't work loose and limits the flex in the silicone couplers.

The MGT tank isn't much longer than the Mst tank, it is primarily taller. I believe that it is also a 150cc tank.

rolland
Old 08-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Scouser

You call it a junk room but can you imagine how made up you would be if the LHS had that much CEN stuff in stock!!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
poor judgement

i believe i have more cen spares than my lhs, which is actually pretty unfortunate...

thanks for the tank info rolland, i think im goin to stick with the mst tank tho, as its so "right" on the chassis. as for the header - yea, i looked at it and thought "oh dear..." but the silicone hose i used is very stiff and i left as long an obverlap as poss on the alloy bits. as a result i can pick the truck up by it! i will still be adding some hangers tho, i aint that confident!
Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 AM
rolland

You could heat those hoses up with a hair dryer or a heat gun and then try to move the exhaust around.
You are probably going to find that they get alot more flexible when they are heated up. They will still seal the exhaust alright but as far as holding it in position I wouldn't trust them.

rolland
Old 08-06-2005, 04:32 AM
poor judgement

i dont think theres any need to move it about rolland. its pretty much holding itself in place due to the angles n stuff i guess, just need a hanger after the u bend to be safe, and at least zip tie the joints, unless i can find some small and thin jubilee clips. that will make it rock steady... hopefully!

just figuring out a way to fix my "oops i cut the wrong mount off" mst tank, while i wait for a new one, so i can start running this thing in... more delays... also my rx batt needs securing, not enough room for a batt box, but i have a plan for that too... i did say a while back that this was gonna take some time!
Old 08-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Scouser

PJ, when you were starting this project, did you ever consider running the truck as a single speed? I was looking for the easiest way of getting this S25 to work and getting an old single speed CEN set up and sticking the single speed clutch bell with it, seemed to be relatively straight forward. (Famous last words!!)
Old 08-06-2005, 10:27 AM
poor judgement

i thought about a tall geared single speed yea, but i would not have had the choice of metal spurs from the genesis. it just worked out better for me to use the 2 speed as that was the heavier duty setup that i have here. i expect that a single speed would work fine, just watch the spurs and get an alloy hubbed shaft and carrier for the spur - i think cen do them as option parts - and/or maybe u could work out a metal spur from another mt..?

i see where u are coming from mate, a single speed would give u more options for the engine position etc.

update - oh so nearly done, just gotta extend my batt wire, bloody soldering iron has gone walk about now... screwy on the gas hob it is then! check out the amazing technical fuel tank mounts and battery holder! can i have a prize for dodgiest bodge please?

Name:	Ki19146.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	306329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24140.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	306330  
Old 08-06-2005, 01:24 PM
poor judgement

how easy is this engine to start?!?!?!

i thought i had flooded it to start with tho - turns out to be the massive compression of the engine! have only run half of one tank thru it - took about 2 minutes. its very keen to rev from idle, but obviously the mixture is stopping it going up very far.

sounds a lot bigger than the os .18!

got a chinese to eat, then im off to use all my fuel up!

[8D]
Old 08-06-2005, 05:38 PM
poor judgement

1/4 gallon and no probs so far!

this run in is definately gonna be a long one. it wont take much leaning at all yet, but keeping it rich makes it start easy and with this compression thats a good thing! not sure if the clutch springs are a bit heavy or if its the shoes that are a bit tight on their pins, but it seems to rev a little too high before moving.

so no wheelies yet, or 2nd gear (locked out for the mo), but also no noticeable wear on the steel pinions or spurs. no soddin front left wheel nut or washer either... they cleared off halfway thru the last tank/s of fuel, as it was dark by then i had no chance - maybe go back in the morning. also managed to get the failsafe to cut in on a turn, roll the unbodied truck and get my first scratch on the head, dont u love battle scars...
Old 08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

lol...poor said dodgy...my english friend sonia always used to say that. (SHE WAS SMOKIN HOT!) just clowin :-)
Old 08-06-2005, 06:05 PM
poor judgement

SHE WAS SMOKIN HOT!
aaah yes... english girls are the best my friend
Old 08-06-2005, 10:46 PM
rolland

That mount looks alright. I was going to suggest using 5min epoxy on the cut off mount to stick it back on.
That motor does take alot of fuel to break in properly. You can heat the motor up with a heat gun or hair dryer if power is available to make the motor turn over easier. Some people at the track loosen the glow plug a little bit to lower the compression.
Remember to put the piston all the way down on cool downs it will get stuck if left at the top.

Have you had any "to lean" conditions with the 2 tank setup? I had to shorten the pressure line on my X-Factor when I went to a larger tank to prevent it from leaning out.

As far as the clutch springs, this may seem like a silly question but are they put on the right direction? If they are reversed they won't engage till a higher rpm.

rolland
Old 08-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Scouser

Its alive........ALIVE.
Well done mate, the engine sounds like the right choice eh? When I was breaking in the S25, I had to loosen the glow plug because there was too much compression and it took about five tanks before I could tighten it fully. This one of yours sounds like its going to be easy on you from the start. Pics, vids and updates when you can!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:35 AM
poor judgement

lol, yea that mount is a work of art! not. ha, i will swap the tank as soon as i get one to replace it, it wont hold up to a bashing session, but is fine for running in.
yea i loosened the plug a little to start it to begin with, but it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull, even now! so im not too worried about the pullstart etc. and yea i left the piston at bdc on cool down, cheers anyway for that tho.

as for the 2 tanks, they seem ok, still a bit early to tell as its so rich and a bit all over the place at the mo, i have to "clear its throat" a lot to keep it going, so far i have leaned it by about a quarter turn as it wouldnt run at the original setting after the 2nd tank/s. factory settings are usually on the very rich side of things for run in, i could maybe lean it more, but with no temp gun here, i am reluctant to do that just yet.

do u mean the springs or the shoes? the springs went in the only way i could see them fitting properly, the shoes are definately the right way round tho. the shoes were a bit stiff on the pins tho, even after a light drilling out... will see how they go after a few more runs, theres a lot of new bits in there to run in along with the engine i guess.

scouser - go get that 25 in ur mt right now! lol. nah i would wait a bit man, see what my diffs make of this thing, save ur sen a few quid... will try to get the missuse to grab some vid once its run in, unless u want a vid of it doing 5-15mph circles?.... i thought not...

Many Thanks to all you guys for helping me out with this. I couldnt have done it or been bothered to carry on without you lot *****in at me to finish it etc. I will be splitting the cost of all the parts this motor breaks, and sending each of you an invoice! You can tell I am serious cos I am using the shift key! Seriously tho guys, thanks for your input, its great to see peoples faces and hear them say "A FunFactor? Youre mad mate!!"
Old 08-08-2005, 12:23 AM
rolland

No temp gun? With all of the money you have invested you couldn't buy a temp gun? They are not that expensive.
Just kiddin (sort of) you really should get one they make tuning so much easier. The water/spit test is ok but for all out performance you really need one. Especially since that motor likes a low content oil.

Glad that thing is running and please keep us up to date.

Edited to add. For all of you SH engine questions this might help http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...forum.php?f=13

rolland
Old 08-08-2005, 02:52 AM
poor judgement

yea, i am aware of the importance of temps rolland, i erm kinda ran my temp gun over... with my 1:1... didnt want to have to mention it... i will get a new one, my usual lhs is waiting for a delivery to come in, but there is another shop i could try.

cheers for the link.

will get some more fuel today.. why did i have to use the expensive stuff? sigh, its going thru it like its goin outta fashion.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:00 AM
poor judgement

ok, just run another couple of tanks, but my steering servo has just stopped working. dunno why, it does nothing at all, was fine then nothing. im guessing at a dodgy connection somewhere, will take it all out and have a look.

still no breakages! did for a moment think that i had burnt out the sleeve tho! the initial compression has backed off a fair bit, and i couldnt restart it - glad i picked up some more os#8 plugs, as it was the original one that had died... phew, had me worried for a few minutes...

still a little concerned about one thing - it either doesnt rev very high at all, (tho it sounds like its up there), or the gearing is too low (14/43, should be fine) or the clutch just isnt biting (strong possibility) - as its launching ok, but the revs dont seem quite in proportion to the speed once its rolling.

btw, its just starting to pick the front wheels up now... have leaned it a little more, about 1/3 of a turn in total after nearly half a gallon, so im thinking its nearly there now. oh and neither rc shop had a temp gun in stock, marvellous...

aha - sussed the servo... strange one that, due to vibration i guess, as i havent crashed it...yet...

Name:	Us53195.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	307312  
Old 08-08-2005, 10:50 AM
poor judgement

right, its definately the clutch. just stopped running it as i am not about to start over revving it.

not sure if its the springs, the shoes or both. gonna look on ebay for a set of alloy shoes and some known weight springs and work from there.

run-in seems about done after a good half a gallon, maybe more to come but it sounds close

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.