Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Club 40 Race in Alabaster!

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 Race in Alabaster!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club 40 Race in Alabaster!

Or Blow your Horn !!!
Hey McGowen It's gona be HOT for all of us !!
Dave...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it Dave, but the wind of my plane passing yours will cool you off a little bit! LOL!!
Yes, we will have to stay hydrated for sure that weekend!
JMc
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
fcomer84

Man!!!! There sure is a lot of hot air blowing around in here!! I am staying quiet for a reason. Do I get points for the most victory rolls?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
fcomer84

John McGowan has a weapon for Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM
dphill2

All I can say is bring it on 10 laps around the pole's will tell the story

Go Fast and turn left....DP2
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 AM
JohnMcGowan

Good morning D2, tell me this please, what time does the event officially start? I cant find a start time on the ARCA site? I would guess it kicks off at 9:00 am, but thats just a guess.
I am going to do my best to try and get down there early so I can do some practice laps since I've never gone around a pole before...... Ive seen some females go around them, but thats another story for another day!! [sm=lol.gif] [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 AM
fcomer84

I just talked with David. Pilot meeting 9:00 AM sharp. Racing starts soon after.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seven of us from the Huntsville area will be there. Were are leaving around 6am and should roll in by 8-8:30.

It's gonna' be a good one!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 PM
BarryReade

Arrived and flew at the Alabaster Club site.  Should be good racing tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 PM
fcomer84

I just competed in my first Club 40 pylon race. I survived and ended up in 5th place out of 14 racers. This was so much fun, the racing AND the people, that I may go to Huntsville and do it again. Like SSC Combat, why isn't everyone doing this? What a wonderful day!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
BarryReade

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId"><meta content="Microsoft Word 10" name="Generator"><meta content="Microsoft Word 10" name="Originator"><link href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Barry\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_f ilelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><o:smarttagtype name="City" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><xml><w:worddocument><w:compatibility><w:snaptogridincell></w:snaptogridincell> <w:wraptextwithpunct></w:wraptextwithpunct> <w:useasianbreakrules></w:useasianbreakrules></w:compatibility><w:browserlevel></w:browserlevel> </w:worddocument></xml><style type="text/css">st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><style type="text/css"></style><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}</style>

Well, the results are in and the race today was a resoundingsuccess. I just got home to <st1lace><st1:city>Powder Springs</st1:city>, <st1:state>GA</st1:state></st1lace> and as soon as Ican find the results I will scan and post them if no one else has. I also have a couple hundred pictures that Iwill upload to my SmugMug account and supply a link.

<o></o>

I want to thank the Alabaster RC club, CD David Philips, KamikazeJim, and all the other wonderful folks that made this event a success. It got up to 104*F today and shortly afterthe racing was over and all the goodies handed out we had a certified FrogStrangler and within 30 min it was down to 78*F.

<o></o>

The racing was intense with lots of carnage but a lot ofracers did prevail and were able to take their racers home in one piece.

<o></o>

More to come!!

</meta></meta></meta></meta>
Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 PM
JohnMcGowan

Hello guys!!! I tell you what, I left Alabaster around 4pm and ran into a sho' nuff gulley washer!! The traffic on I-65 was 10 mph due to the heavy rain all the way from Alabaster to where I got off to go to my house, which is about 15 miles or so.

I just wanted to say how much fun I had today and that I learned ALOT with this being my first pylon race , thanks in part to Barry and TBatt and also Dave2 Phillips , and I also want to give a thank you shout out to Jim and Dave Georgeson,..... most guys did not see Jim and Dave , (aka, Opie) in action as they were stuck under the hot tent judging for pilots cuttting the left pylon, but I wanted to recognise them for their efforts too.

I had a blast!!!! Something that Barry told me sorta stuck with me today before I launched the first time.... he said that you do not have to finish first but if you bring your plane home in one piece you are ahead of the game right there!! There was some carnage that went down today and after seeing some of the planes destroyed , Barry's statement sort of hit home and I felt a little better about not placing too high. I think I finished 7th or 8th.
But now that I have one pylon under my belt and know what to expect, all I can say is I'll try and do better next time

Im proud of Frank Comer for bringing home some hardware!! He was consistent, and thats a big part of placing .
Way to go Frank!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif]

I hope everybody sleeps good tonight, I KNOW I will ( Im POOPED!!) .

Thanks again everyone for a great event!!!
John ( Chick-Fil -A / Mooo Cow airplane ) McGowan
Old 07-24-2010, 08:53 PM
BarryReade

Race results (at the bottom of the post). A little complicated but go to the Place column to see who ended up where. There were 16 entrants, we ran 5 rounds, and each round had 4 heats. The scoring system was creative but seemed to work without any dissatisfaction.

Again agreat day of Club 40 racing.

Link to pictures taken during the day.

First Place went to Greg Doe

2nd Place to Barry Reade

3rd Place to Larry Bart

4th Place to Ernie Duffey

And 5th Place to Frank Comer who beat out Tim Batt by the flip of a coin as they were tied.

More to come!!!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Db85315.pdf (661.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
BarryReade

We had a post race raffle and first we raffled off a pair of custom sunglasses that was won by Ernie Duffey. next was a Sanaloma Laser "Club 40 Raider" fuselage kit that Dave Phillips had purchased from Barry Reade. The first ticket drawn was Barry's and he said draw again, the second ticket drawn was Barry's again and he said draw again and if it is mine I will keep it. The stinking next ticket drawn was barry's so I guess it was in the cards to build that fuselage. He said he was going to order a couple more kits as he had some two repairable wings at home and it was an inexpensive way to get a couple more racers in the air. The last drawing was for a Sky Raider MK II kit in Red and I didn't get the persons name but I beieve he was from the Alabaster RC Club.

Some of the wives from the host club came out and mad absolutely great hotdogs, hamburgers with all the condiments for a very modest monetary sum. Thanks ladies for the supurb effort.

Anyone seeing any pictures on SmugMug that they would like to have just pm me with which ones and i will edmail them to you.

I hope to see everyone at the Harvest, AL Club 40 Race on August 14, 2010

Thank to all for a great event.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:32 PM
davidgeorge212

You guys raced well today, it was very enjoyable. Its pretty amazing that all 20 races, not one of you cut pylon 1. In fact a lot of you went pretty conservative and went wide around pylon 1. There were a few though that had it going on and were down low and hugging the pylon pretty close. We were kept on the edge of our seat not only by the intensity of the race but also some of you were getting a little crazy down toward pylon 1 and we had a couple coming right for us and over us.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:35 PM
BarryReade

Hmmm, I thought my one cut was at Pylon #1???
Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 PM
davidgeorge212

there were 2 or 3 close calls but no official cuts on pylon 1 (Left side). There were quite a few cuts on #2 or the right pylon.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM
BarryReade

You are absolutely correct.  I am use to the right pylon being #1 and the way they had the course set up starting on the backside the right pylon for the pilots was #2.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Tbatt

Wow! What a great race! It would have been perfect if I had won and the temperature was cooler and ........

Here are the "official" results of the race.

We used a 10 point system 1st place = 10, 2nd = 8, 3rd = 6, 4=4.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Om33702.pdf (30.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Tbatt

The reason Tim Batt is listed as 5th place instead of Frank Comer is the data was sorted by points and then fastest time. At first Frank and I were going to do a fly off but the rain came, HARD. We decided to do a coin toss and he won fair and square. Good job Frank!

We had two midairs. The first one, my plane was envolved with Jamie Strong's. We were four wide into turn two with two planes in the high lanes and Jamie and I down low. My prop struck the tail of Jamie's plane and took out his elevator pushrod along with lots of wood and covering. How do I know this? Well, Jamie said he lost elevator control and my engine quit. I did a turn and brought my plane in for a smooth landing and noticed that I only had one prop blade, or so it looked. When the plane came to a stop, white covering material fell off of one blade of the prop. My prop had a cut in the leading edge about a 1/16 of an inch wide about a 1/4 inch from the tip. That was the extent of the damage to my plane. Jamie was not as lucky. It took two guys to bring back the remains. Sorry Jamie!

Another midair took place but no damage to either plane (that I heard about). The rule was that in the event of a midair, if a plane was still flying it was to land as soon as possible. This was done for safety.

One plane went in due to a radio problem. It was so hot that some of the guys were having problems with the transmitters overheating! A quick cool down got them working again. Man, was it HOT!

What a great group of guys! Everyone was very helpful to others and we had a lot of spectators in the morning.

Next race, August 14 in Harvest. Another heat meet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ig13027.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1473601   Click image for larger version

Name:	fa86414.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1473602  
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM
orangepeal
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks to all who organized and helped to run the event. I had a great time despite the heat and the loss of my plane. I think it was my receiver that glitched due to the heat. My transmitter was never very hot, but I did leave the plane out in the sun while we ate lunch. Big mistake. Byebye RedBull.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Tbatt

orangepeal,

That was a nice looking plane. I hope you had a picture of it.

Hint: keep 'em ugly. They seem to last longer that way. My backup plane has managed to survive Dave racing it for two whole events now. We know that is amazing! Heh, heh

I hope you can make the NARCA race on August the 14th. I'll have my backup plane ready for Dave again. I may start charging him rent........
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
JohnMcGowan

Tim,
If I were you I would start charging Dave a "un-refundable "damage deposit AND rent to fly your plane , LOL

Orangepeal , sorry about your plane also. It looked nice.
Im the guy that brushed wingtips with the other gentleman, ( sorry I didnt catch his name), but man was it fun racing with him! We were on each other like glue for about 4 laps and just happened to brush wingtips together coming out of a turn.... it looked just like a close Nascar race for those laps. There was no damage done to either plane whatsoever-not even any marred covering, which the no damage is a good thing! We just didnt score any points that round, but safety is the main concern here.
The zero points were worth it just to have raced that close together with the other guy....did I mention that was FUN?????

John (MOOOOve it over) McGowan
Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Tbatt

John,

That was Rick Grim you were racing with and had the "bump draft".

Everyone there was having a great time in spite of the heat and carnage.

I hope to see you on our turf August 14th.

Tim