Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 06:01 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

We had a close call last night. My sister in-law Barbara and her husband live in Mt. Juliet, TN and her older daughter, Christine, has a house near downtown Nashville. Both had Tornadoes pass within several blocks of their houses. Talk about dodging the bullet!

Donny, which Spitfire model did you get?

Mike
Old 03-03-2020, 06:38 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
That's wonderful news Donny, sounds like you've got a happy few days ahead of you.
Well yeah but all this rearranging and cleaning is dragging me down, best I can do is keep out of the womens way!
Old 03-03-2020, 06:53 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
We had a close call last night. My sister in-law Barbara and her husband live in Mt. Juliet, TN and her older daughter, Christine, has a house near downtown Nashville. Both had Tornadoes pass within several blocks of their houses. Talk about dodging the bullet!

Donny, which Spitfire model did you get?

Mike
I have gone through the tornado thing a couple of times and it is a scare to say the least, can't do anything but duck.

The spitfire manuf. is a mystery to me ...hold on I'll take a looksee........ ok, It,s a Dynaflite kit, 81 span for a 120 fourstroker, Now that I have taken a bit closer look I am impressed, the wing is 60 to 70% complete but kinda beat up. It's still tucked in my motorhome. Don't know what to do with it yet.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

You could always finish it.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:03 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have spent the past few days working in my spare time to come up with a material list for the TF Corsair. The plywood and balsa for the laser parts should be home on Thursday so I can get to cutting this weekend. I may have over done the wood quality though after looking at what TF provided for my other two actual kits. I bought 1/8" 6 ply for the birch parts instead of 3 ply. Thats about a $15 difference in cost. I may reorder the two pieces for those parts. They are used for the center section spar, and a few others. I am also going to check out the local home centers to see what they have in the way of small thin sheets and compare it to what I get from National Balsa, same for local balsa supplies from Micheal's, and Hobby Lobby.

The material for the laser cutting came to $160 with the shipping, and my list of balsa and other stock for the actual build (sheets & sticks) comes out to about $240 with shipping. So all told the wood for the Top Flite Corsair GS is about $400. Looking at what the kit retailed for, $349, it was a steal, no wonder HH didn't want to offer them. Of course a lot of the stock were shorter pieces, and quantity brings costs down, but considering there is also the cowl, canopy and hardware, along with manuals, plans and packaging, it was a money loser.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:26 AM
donnyman

You could always finish it.
finish it? let's see----first finish the mustang, king kobra , f-14, f-4, tiger 60, mig -15, fw-190, f-86, f7u-3, patriot, c-47 ,b-25, p-36, two kaos's, d-18, build another storage shed to house all this stuff maybe I'll find time for the spitfire.

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:41 AM
donnyman

acdii
your conclusion is the same one I came to sometime ago, was hoping you would fare better, I also considered dealing with the public, those wanting it on the cheap, and scrap from mistakes. stocking parts, etc.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
finish it? let's see----first finish the mustang, king kobra , f-14, f-4, tiger 60, mig -15, fw-190, f-86, f7u-3, patriot, c-47 ,b-25, p-36, two kaos's, d-18, build another storage shed to house all this stuff maybe I'll find time for the spitfire.

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
What can I say I like Spitfires.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Donny, you summarised the situation very well in 7799. No-one builds anymore, no-one wants nitro engines.

Those of us who are traditional builders, like you, have several projects on the go at the same time but we're unlikely to finish them all before our date with the Grim Reaper. Given that our ranks are thinning with each passing year, we are increasingly given things by well-wishers who'd like to see the model completed and in the air. You got a 1/4 scale Spitfire, I got a 1/3rd scale Sopwith Camel. You didn't want the Spitfire, I didn't want the Camel but neither of us could say "No."

Furthermore no-one wants the models which we love so much and upon which we have spent so much time, not to mention money, so they will not command much of a price for our loved ones when we've gone. C'est la vie as they say over here.

I told you that story of the man at the British Nationals Swap Meet a few years ago didn't I. He had several buckets full of two stroke engines from tiny Coxes to huge Super Tigres, most of them in serviceable condition. Ł10 each. Take your pick. (11€ or $13 US.)

That's the way it's going gentlemen we may not like it but that's the way it's going.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

What can I say I like Spitfires.
Drive down there and pick it up Flyer!
Old 03-03-2020, 10:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Drive down there and pick it up Flyer!
Unfortunately that won't happen.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:12 AM
donnyman

Unfortunately that won't happen.
And it would not be worth it. too many accessories are also needed, No canopy, spinner, etc.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:54 AM
donnyman

Well gentlemen I survived my daughters wedding, It went much better than my thoughts and we have never had so many people in our home at one time, and almost everything is back to normal.

I even met a fellow r/c modeler. Tomorrow is my wifes birthday and that will cost me a small fortune she wants to celebrate at the cheese cake factory restaurant so my wallet will take a hit feeding all the friends.

FlyerinOKC
If you want this spitfire it will only cost you the gas to get here and back, but to be honest it isn't worth it. I have another swap meet on the 21st.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Take it to the swap meet I think I will pass but thanks for the offer!
Old 03-08-2020, 07:37 AM
donnyman

Take it to the swap meet I think I will pass but thanks for the offer!
your welcome! smart move.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Hi Donny, I'm pleased that the wedding went well.

Our exhibition was a success too. I have not eaten so much in such a short time and I seem to have landed myself with another two trainee pilots into the bargain! There were a lot of ARTFs there (of course,) but several built models as the attached pictures will show.

Miss Blue Eyes who had never even handled a transmitter before, soon learned how to fly on the simulator.

Isbelle and Romain, mother and son, on the simulators

We renovated this model for the boy in the first picture because he had made so much progress. He burst into tears when we presented it to him!

I counted eight Barons belonging to club members.

The other side of Barons Row.

The Big Guff is coming on and the wheels are a birthday present from Miss Blue Eyes. It's my birthday on Wednesday!

Farman 11.

My BE2e with a part-built Nieuport 11 in the foreground.

Quarter Scale Tiger Moth.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-08-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:21 PM
donnyman

It looks like a very nice show, The look on the lady and boy using the simulator says it all, exhibits are fun for all........................well done!
Old 03-08-2020, 04:34 PM
FlyerInOKC

It looks like a very nice show, The look on the lady and boy using the simulator says it all, exhibits are fun for all........................well done!
I agree with Donny, I wish I had been there!
Old 03-08-2020, 04:42 PM
acdii

What ya guys think, Viable kit? The one on the lower left was the first and didn't get the focus perfect, and had a bit of a warp to the wood. I came up with a clamping system using wood, a C clamp and a pipe wrench.

6 down, 22 to go.
The following users liked this post:
Flicker (03-17-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

Looks like a winner to me!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:44 PM
acdii

UGH Longest piece and I misaligned it! GRRR, Oh well, still can use it, just use a bit more epoxy. Now on to the last 3 pieces of plywood,the 6 ply and 1/4" Wish me luck.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:51 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
UGH Longest piece and I misaligned it! GRRR, Oh well, still can use it, just use a bit more epoxy. Now on to the last 3 pieces of plywood,the 6 ply and 1/4" Wish me luck.
Oh man that looks fantastic, I am jealous! I don't see anything that isn't use able. and to think , you will become more proficient as time goes on and produce all kinds of good looking stuff. WOW!
Old 03-10-2020, 11:30 AM
acdii

Oh man that looks fantastic, I am jealous! I don't see anything that isn't use able. and to think , you will become more proficient as time goes on and produce all kinds of good looking stuff. WOW!
Thanks Donny

The part I screwed up is a 12" x 27" lite ply. It is the second LCFD that is like the one I have in the picture, and I missed the very end by the hole. The sheet has three like that on it, two LFC and one LFCD. Since these are all epoxied together, I can add that tiny little piece to the end when gluing it all up. I ordered a new batch of wood from a different supplier yesterday and it is shipping out today to arrive tomorrow so I can compare quality and make a second set, or first saleable kit.

I still have the balsa to cut, which requires testing of settings first to make sure I cut all the way through but not so hot it burns the balsa. I also switched to 3 ply birch, the 6 ply is too hard to cut through, and I don't think it will matter in the end.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:20 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Another birthday celebrated yesterday, my own! We went to Montchevrier for lunch with a couple of Miss Blue Eyes' friends. I had Raviolli with Spinach in a white sauce to start, Guinea Fowl for the plat, cheese and Bavarois for desert. Moderated the red wine consumption, a 2017 Cotes Du Rhone, as I was driving. In the late afternoon, we had fruit tart and pétilliant at the model aeroplane club. This is something of a club tradition.

PS. The wheels which Miss Blue Eyes bought me for my birthday are genuine Dubro five and a half inch inflatable jobs. They're going on the Big Guff.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like a great celebration David! I do believe Miss Blue Eyes is a keeper!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.