Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 10:06 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow has openings in April? Things must be slow for them.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:57 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

2024!
Old 02-11-2022, 02:04 PM
acdii

It would not surprise me one bit. what used to be 8-12 weeks now takes 9 months or more. Y2K only 22 years later.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:09 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
It would not surprise me one bit. what used to be 8-12 weeks now takes 9 months or more. Y2K only 22 years later.
I sent a payment to a guy in British Columbia on 12/20/2021 after 52 days he got it yesterday (2/10/2022). It was in a clear plastic envelope and had mildew as did the contents. We aren't sure if its the USPS or Canada Post , or both that are at fault.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:49 AM
acdii

Check this out. This is how bad the supply chain is.
  • 22MY Super Duty Option Availability: For the remainder of 2022MY, the following options will only be available to schedule on retail orders. Stock orders with these options will not be selected for scheduling:
    • Spray in Bedliner (85S)
    • 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package (53W)
    • Tonneau Cover (21D,21E,21J)
    • Active Steering (60A) (optional on Lariat, King Ranch & Platinum; standard on Limited)
    • 19.5 Forged Polished Aluminum Wheel (64D) (standard on all F450 series and included on STX Pkg—17S)
    • Black Appearance Package (17L) on Lariat
Please note due to production availability, retail orders with these commodities may take several weeks to schedule.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:26 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It will take some time before all this slowness settles down, in the meantime keep your commando kit handy we will all take it in the a.. The people will carry the bill for all this mess Congress and Covid don't give a d...

acdii
You maybe too old to drive that vehicle by the time it arrives, good luck!

I hope to be able to hang in long enough to get through this mess at least the weather isn't to terrible (I pray it doesn't make me a liar!)

I got my motorhome put together but couldn't test it, some kinda electrical weirdness is flickering my instrument panel lights.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:14 AM
acdii

You know if you weren't like a thouasand miles away I would come over and fix that for you. I am still waiting on a loader that was ordered long before I placed my order for the tractor. Tractors and loaders are usually ordered together because they are easier to sell as a unit. The tractor I have waiting for me was ordered last June.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:05 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well proving that age does not necessarily convey wisdom and that I am still officially an idiot ... we are remodeling our bathroom and I was putting a sealer coat on some trim boards this afternoon, and managed to spill the better part of a half gallon of Binz primer on my basement floor in the process!

Now it is a basement floor and I got most of cleaned up quick enough that it didn't leave much of a stain, but this was not how I wanted to spend my afternoon. Believe it or not, I am usually not this bad. I've never put a ladder through a window, or nailed my thumb to a board, or any other slapstick cliché. I take shop safety seriously and consider myself to be a reasonably accomplished woodworker and all around DIYer ... but when I do make a mess of something, boy-oh-boy, you can count on it being a first rate mess!
The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 07:43 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That just proves that you don't do anything half-way. A "first rate mess" is the ONLY mess to make.

(actually, been there, done that, myself).
Old 02-13-2022, 07:01 AM
donnyman

acdii
Thanks, nice thought. I tried to get it fixed but all I got was stranded hundreds of miles from home and a $650 loss.
electrical trouble shooting is one of my weak points so I am replacing components as I go I will find the problem sooner or later.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
That just proves that you don't do anything half-way. A "first rate mess" is the ONLY mess to make.

(actually, been there, done that, myself).
Me too!
Old 02-13-2022, 08:25 AM
acdii

I actually HAVE put a nail through my hand, but not into a board at the same time. Was framing a wall and the nailer jammed in a bad way in that it fired a nail out when not in contact with the wood and shot the nail through my left had between thumb and forefinger. My hand was a safe distance away holding the base plate as I nailed. I had just had a tetanus shot 3 weeks prior so I was good. Now Utility knives and me, we never get along. I have at least a dozen scars on my left hand where the blade either sliced and poked through.

But look at it this way, you now have a nice sealed floor.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:04 AM
aymodeler

I buried an X-Acto knife blade in my thumb when I was 10 or 11 years old (still have that scar). That one taught me a lesson about blades, so to this day, I tend to be extra careful. I did get get myself pretty good with a Japanese pull saw a few years back. I was just learning how to use it and I was not accounting enough for the way the blade gets wider near the tip and caught the side of my finger on the pull stroke. That one hurt like the dickens, but no permanent damage.

Most of my projects have at least one drop of blood somewhere in them, usually a nick from a chisel (which I keep surgically sharp). Most times I don't even know that I nicked myself until I see the blood showing up on the wood somewhere
Old 02-13-2022, 12:56 PM
acdii

Don't you just love these phishing emails telling you your (insert service) account is locked? Got one saying my Amazon account was found to have been access from a different location. Did they really think I would click their link/ Nope, I brought up my account in the web browser direct. Not locked. No messages. They try to change up the reply address, but anyone who is internet savvy would know to check it first.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:54 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by aymodeler
I buried an X-Acto knife blade in my thumb when I was 10 or 11 years old (still have that scar). That one taught me a lesson about blades, so to this day, I tend to be extra careful. I did get get myself pretty good with a Japanese pull saw a few years back. I was just learning how to use it and I was not accounting enough for the way the blade gets wider near the tip and caught the side of my finger on the pull stroke. That one hurt like the dickens, but no permanent damage.

Most of my projects have at least one drop of blood somewhere in them, usually a nick from a chisel (which I keep surgically sharp). Most times I don't even know that I nicked myself until I see the blood showing up on the wood somewhere
My wife is of the opinion I can't do a project without leaving a little blood in it.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:55 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Don't you just love these phishing emails telling you your (insert service) account is locked? Got one saying my Amazon account was found to have been access from a different location. Did they really think I would click their link/ Nope, I brought up my account in the web browser direct. Not locked. No messages. They try to change up the reply address, but anyone who is internet savvy would know to check it first.
I think I get one of those at least 2 or 3 times a month. There must be a lot of gullible people out there.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:16 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

One tool that I absolutely refuse to use is an angle grinder with a slide on/off switch! If you drop one of those it's going to bounce around into your workbench, your project... your leg. I'll only buy an angle grinder with a paddle switch. I like my legs. In fact, I've grown rather attached to them over the years.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:48 PM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think I get one of those at least 2 or 3 times a month. There must be a lot of gullible people out there.
My address got on some list out there, because I get at least 2 or 3 of those e-mails every day! Most are for services I don't even subscribe to, and most end up my junk folder. Every now and then one slips though to my inbox, but I never click on ANY e-mail links. If I get an email from a bank or credit card company, I go straight to their website to check my statement or make a payment or whatever, and if my password manager app does not recognize the website, I will never enter my credentials. Simple steps you can take to protect yourself, but you need to pay attention.

It's all a big numbers game, it costs almost nothing to send out phishing email, send out enough and sooner or later you will stumble onto a fool.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:55 PM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
One tool that I absolutely refuse to use is an angle grinder with a slide on/off switch! If you drop one of those it's going to bounce around into your workbench, your project... your leg. I'll only buy an angle grinder with a paddle switch. I like my legs. In fact, I've grown rather attached to them over the years.
If you want a lesson in the kind of damage these tools can do, check out Stump Nubs' video on his experience using a wood carving disk in a right angle grinder:
Old 02-13-2022, 10:53 PM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Good day gentlemen!

I'm back again in La Belle France after a month in my native England where my sister, Sue, is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer. She is having fortnightly doses of chemotherapy which causes her to feel tired and nauseous but she's on good form in the intervening weeks when the effects of the treatment have worn off. She has lost a fair bit of weight but managed a one-mile walk around the grounds of a stately home with my brother-in-law and she even drove her car to the garden centre to meet a friend. 5th February was the twenty-second anniversary of our mother's death so we went to the crematorium to lay some flowers at the memorial plaque. Sue clambered up into the passenger seat of my two-tonne van without a problem! She lives in a cul-de-sac so I had to turn the van round and drive past her house to go home. It was quite a poignant moment when she waved goodbye to me from her window. We both felt that we may never see each other again.

I have had some difficulty logging in to RCG from my lap top and my PC is currently unusable. I hope it's just a problem with the power supply unit. A computer engineer will be coming to have a look at it later this week. For some reason when using my laptop I have to post under my real name not my old handle of Telemaster Sales UK. "N'importe" as they say here in France.

There has been a lot of talk of moving in recent posts. While I was back in the UK Miss Blue Eyes and I got back together. She's the lady in the avatar, so I will be moving back to the UK at some stage. It won't be an immediate thing but I am tired of living on my own and she is misguided enough to want me! She will be visiting me at Easter and she will be my mechanic in this year's Coupe Des Barons in June. I won the four-stroke class last year so have a title to defend! I am anticipating returning to England for more than one funeral during the coming year because as I have already stated, my sister is terminally ill and I have three relatives all in their eighties with none of them enjoying robust good health.

On the aeromodelling front I have been flying twice this year on 2nd January and Saturday just gone. In fact I was the second pilot from our club to fly in 2022! Projects for the year include renovating a couple of pattern ships and finishing off a Carden-Barnes "Flying Flea" which my best friend was building before he died in September 2002. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12222 Was that really twenty years ago? How times fly when you are getting older! I also bought a Laser 180 V twin when I was in England. It is destined for a 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane if I live long enough to build it!

Well it's nearly light here and the dog will want to go for her walk so best wishes to you all and in the words of one Hollywood actor, "I'll be back."

Last edited by David John Davis; 02-14-2022 at 04:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
biam (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 05:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good to hear from you David! I'm glad to hear you two patched it up. Let us know where to send the sympathy cards to Miss Blue Eyes!
Old 02-15-2022, 12:44 AM
David John Davis

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Good day again gentlemen!

In Post 10260 Donny referred to increased suicide rates and rates of mental illness which he had observed. This set me to wandering whether we could measure the mental health of a nation by having a look at its suicide rates and comparing it to those of other countries. I found some interesting statistics.

To begin with, in nearly every country the female suicide rates were about one third of those of the men.

The country with the highest suicide rate was the African country of Lesotho where the rate of suicides was 72.4 per 100,000 of the population. The male rate was 116 per 100,000.

The country with the lowest suicide rate was Antigua and Barbuda where the rate was 0.4 per 100,000. It transpires that no men committed suicide in the year under review in Antigua and Barbuda and as the population of the country is 99,509 and the female rate is 0.8 per 100,000 I assume that only one woman killed herself there in the relevant time period.

Intriguingly the countries with the next three lowest suicide rates are all Caribbean nations: St Vincent and the Grenadines, Grenada and Barbados. Weren't you thinking of moving to the Caribbean Donny?

The top five is completed by Sao Tome and Principe where the suicide rate is 1.5 per 100,000. I must admit that I'd never heard of Sao Tome and Principe. It's an island nation off the western coast of Africa.

Of First World countries the suicide rates per 100,000 are as follows, the second set of figures refers to the rate of male suicide.

United States of America 16.1 (26.3)
France 13.8 (20.4)
Australia 12.5 (18.6)
Germany 12.3 (18.6)
Canada 11.8 (17.6)
Ireland 9.6 (15.4)
United Kingdom 7.0 (11.8)

Incidentally I've also read that Lesotho also has the highest rate of reported rape in the world but whether there is any connection between this and the suicide rates I have no idea.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...ate-by-country

Last edited by David John Davis; 02-15-2022 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:50 AM
acdii

Also keep in mind that Africa has the highest rates of HIV too. That could be part of the reason for the high suicides too.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:34 AM
donnyman

Hi David!............ good hearing from you. Yes ......... the Carribbean still looks good!

I don't have a good understanding of why people do what they do except I do believe without a solid mental standing of some sort one is susceptible to negative influences (I am being very diplomatic) weak foundations cause houses to fall.

As I type this, the hum of a soil coring machine is sounding in my ears from just across my south fence. It is my understanding some type of business park is under way, the odd thing is my daughter called from in front of a house for sale that I happened to be looking at on line at the same time, the first place both I and my wife have interest in. a realtor as been contacted. The coincidences are adding up.

Last edited by donnyman; 02-15-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Here's hoping the answer is on the horizon and your prayers have been answered!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.