Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Thank you acdii. I'll look into it.
The following users liked this post:
acdii (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:48 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well you all. I have to admit I’m just getting older. But I think and act young.

I made this mechanic’s seat many years ago. It has been great. I place tools and parts in the tray below. Easy to find things when working. I have worn many sets of wheels using it over the years. Problem now is, it is so low I can’t stand up from a seated position. I’m always looking for a hand hold to help me get up. I bought a HF pneumatic stool. But the tray rolls around as I work. Invariably the tools or parts are always in the back side.

So I decided to raise my seat. Now I can easily get up unassisted. I made it tall and can easily cut it down if needed. I’ll see how it works out. Quite handy working around my starting bench and airplanes.

I have a mystery in my shop. A few days ago I was opening the door but it was obstructed by something. I found that a fold up 2 wheel handcart had fallen from a shelf above and blocked the door. Now that cart was perfect for rolling 5 gallon water jugs for my water cooler. So I placed it back in service. Last I used it was 2003. My last airplane camping trip at Oshkosh.

Well today, I open the door and there is a canvas bag on the floor by the door. It contained sheets and bedding for my Oshkosh trips. Hummm!!! There may be an animal living in the shop. Items too big for mice to topple over. Maybe a snake. They are around. I’ve seen a couple. The harmless type. I got up on my ladder with a long stick to poke around. No luck. I’m going to place a foam bait bucket in position to see if it gets knocked down. I may have to invest in a game and trail camera. It will come in handy cause I have critters all over the place. One pet rabbit that is always around.

Whatever it is, it doesn’t come out in the day. I’m always in that shop. The hunt is on.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:10 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

We have a resident Possum in our barn along with a cat. They now bed next to each other. Our girls are getting old, and are the last of the group. We used to have 6 or more barn cats, all the guys have disappeared and all we have left are two girls, one of them resides in our garage and her mother is in the barn. Our garage cat is demanding, she will yell at us if she doesn't get her daily can of food. We've adopted a few outside cats who weren't very outdoor cautious, and have had our fair share of heart breaks seeing the dead body on the road. They may be feral, and not let you touch them, but they do become part of the family. Occasionally we get raccoons in the barn, but haven't seen any in about a year. Had a family of them roam though once, saw the momma and babies walking across the rafter and making funny noises at us as we watched.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:57 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

My brother when he bought his current place inherited a barn cat in the 6 stall barn. Unfortunately for the cat His Rat Terrier and Lab are hunting partners, he didn't last long. The Rat Terrier is particularly hard on moles, rodents, raccoons. opossums, and snakes. I really think that little dog enjoys killing things. She rules the roost too!
Old 06-16-2020, 03:15 PM
ETpilot

Living in the country I have had my fair share of stray animals. Some were the big kind, like horses and cows. I was working in the backyard one day when I heard and then saw 3-4 horses running up my driveway. I ran and opened the gate so they could run into the pasture. That’s what they did. I locked them in and turned on the water bucket and waited for the owner to come get them. Normally I just call the Sheriff’s Office and let them know I have them. Owners call the Sheriff to report the loss.

I had the dogs start barking one night. I walked out the back to check. Made the mistake of not closing the door. Well, a skunk had worked its way through the fence and ran right inside the house. As I chased it with care, fortunately, it ran between the wall and a free standing cabinet. I pushed the cabinet and pinned it in place. I used the cabinet to wear it out then threw a moving pad over it and managed to get it out. Threw it in the back pasture. Gone by morning.

A couple of weeks ago I had another skunk hanging around. I planned to set a trap. Covered the trap with cardboard in case I caught it and it sprayed. Well I didn’t get to use the trap. The skunk made its way to the road and got run over.

Wild hogs are another pest that show up now and then. I’ve posted about them here. They have left me alone the past year or two. Not so for my neighbors. They can damage a pasture or a garden. So it is in the country.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Here in France there is an animal called a loir. It is a species of doormouse coloured grey. I found one asleep in my wine cellar when I first moved into my current home in 2016. I picked it up on a spade and placed it into one of my log piles. It's a protected species in France but so far the gendarmes have not called.https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1138&bih=522
Old 06-18-2020, 08:49 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have been getting on with finishing off the Big Tomboy and the Auster in between gardening tasks mostly trimming back the front hedge. I will be doing this in stages, at seventy-two I no longer have the energy to go at it for hours at a time.

I had a pleasant surprise this morning. Every three or four days my bank sends me an email informing me of my bank balance. Yesterday my state pension was paid into the bank and my balance has never been higher! One benefit of the lockdown I suppose! Time to buy some aeromodelling bits and pieces. Furthermore, yesterday I received a hand-written letter with a French stamp on it. Initially I was quite baffled because all of my French friends live close by and have no need to write to me. When I opened the envelope, I found that it was from the Jonage club down near Lyon. They were going to organise La Coupe Des Barons this year but they have had to cancel the event owing to the Corona Virus. It contained a cheque for 25€! "Loadsamoney" as a comic character on BBC television used to say in the Nineties! I had paid them 25€ in January for two mid-day meals at La Coupe for Miss Blue Eyes and me and this was a reimbursement. The hotel booking was reimbursed a week or two ago. So now I have plenty of time to fit that Thunder Tiger 54 into my entry. I will be hot potatoes in the four stroke class next year! Tres bien motorisé!

Mike, Douglas Allen is making me a pilot for the Auster with his 3D printer. I sent him some pictures of the plan yesterday with a 12" ruler alongside so that he will know the dimensions.

Calm winds are forecast for the next few days. I'm going flying!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-19-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:41 AM
ETpilot

Getting old is a tough proposition. Like you, I have shortened my work day from when I was younger. I start the day working on the hard physical projects. Then, later, work on easier projects. I’ve changed my tractor fueling procedure. I used to haul 5-6 gallon cans up 6 feet to the tank filler. I can’t do that now. I now use a 20 gallon drum and from that I transfer fuel to the can about 3 gallons at a time. Much easier. I plan to make a roll about rack that will hold the drum up high. I can then easily siphon fuel directly to the fuel tank.

The lockdown indeed has slowed down spending. I've made a couple of large purchases. Mostly maintenance parts. Due to the Pandemic, certain pension plans are waived from Required Minimum Distributions. So I will forego my RMD for this year. Let it grow more.

I had planned to run up some glow engines. But a week of rain is forecast for next week. I don’t want to open a new can of glow fuel now, so I will wait til later. I will cut the runway tomorrow so it does not get overgrown. Having a runway is nice. But it requires time, effort and some money to maintain.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I almost forgot Happy Juneteenth everyone! The past must not be forgotten.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:55 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm going to try to take five models to the flying field today because light winds are forecast for the whole of the weekend.The models concerned are a WW1 BE2e scale biplane; the WOT 4XL ARTF now powered by a twin cylinder Laser four stroke; the Big Guff; the Baron and an electric foamy trainer called a "We Can Fly" in case any beginners turn up. Other than the WCF it'll be a fourstroke fest! The van is a two tonner so I should be able to do it but it will require careful packing with some of the models suspended from battens I have fitted to the side of the van.

I have recently fitted a glider tow release to the WOT 4 XL so I'll try towing up a glider if there are any takers.

Pictures of the i/c models below.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

If your post is gone its because it was (way) off topic and or political or a reply to said post.

Knock it off and move on please and thanks
Old 06-20-2020, 11:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice details on the BE2e!
Old 06-20-2020, 08:59 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
If your post is gone its because it was (way) off topic and or political or a reply to said post.

Knock it off and move on please and thanks
Thank you sir.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:20 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by warningshot
Thank you sir.
Don't know what all of that was about but looks like I didn't miss out on anything, get enough of the political nonsense on social media. Glad I cancelled my Twitter account two years ago. Even some of my friends posts on Facebook have gotten to the point where I just breeze past them, find the next. I deleted their app off my phone for peace of mind.

Really like the wood grain fuselage on the B2E, Telemaster, looks classy.

While over at the home improvement centre, came across FRP board edging product, fits 3/16" foam board perfectly, section of the 20"x30" Dollar Tree for $1 each sheet shown. Cost me $3.50 each from Lowes hardware. Now I have something fairly lightweight to line the leading edges of my wings and other areas. Tried measuring in inches, but it apparently was sized as metric. Dimensions are 6mm x 8mm x 15mm and 8 feet long, made of PVC. It is reasonably lightweight.

FRP edge cap (I think FRP is Fibreglass Reinforced Panel - used as wall covering in places like public restrooms).

Balsa is getting expensive and I'm experimenting with foam board for quicker builds for control line.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:50 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Took a vanful of models flying yesterday. Good jub I only live 4kms from the flying field.

Flew the electric foamie trainer, the Baron and the Big Guff twice. The BE2e needs a little time in workshops to sort its throttling out. Too much travel on the servo output arm I think. The wood grain on the BE2e is actually Formica! It came in the kit. I am in the process of building another but on that model, I'll use 1/64" marquetry ply over balsa to simulate the three ply of the original.

The rubber thing in the centre of my starter motor wore out but I was able to start the Laser in the Big Guff with a good choke and a backwood flip on the propeller!

I've got an afternoon's instructing to get on with so I'd better ger prepared.

P.S I've decided to finish the Auster as the battered Australian specimen you may see in Post 8320. It'll remind me of my time working for the ANR in the outback.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-21-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:48 PM
clscale-Fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default add fun fly dates

OK this will make you think twice, what I told you I have a 80" Piper Cub that can be flown as a RC model or CL Scale model both with throttle control with a 5 min conversion (either direction). I am not kidding, the same 2.4 Ghz radio is used for the throttle control when flown as a CL model or for RC mode. CL scale has been using 2.4 Ghz RC controls for everything but the elevator since 2013.

Come join us as a CL fun fly in St Louis MO to celebrate the 60th anniversary of a CL flying site that is still going strong.....Buder Park in St Louis MO!

Aug 15-16, 2020

Fred

https://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordp...-june-27-2020/

Last edited by clscale-Fred; 06-21-2020 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 06-21-2020, 11:55 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have fitted a glider tow release to my WOT 4XL pictured here without the tow release. It is powered by a Laser 150 (25cc) four stroke V twin. I am going to attempt towing a glider on Wednesday. I believe that the glider is a 3 metre ASW of some kind.

Anybody ever done this?

Any tips?

Old 06-22-2020, 12:55 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Your Humble Servant trying to adjust the slow running of his engine on the BE2e Saturday afternoon 20th June 2020, by using the programming on his Spektrum DX9 transmitter, Lourdouiex St Pierre, France. In the end he gave up, took the model back to his workshop and moved the throttle pushrod on the servo output arm!

Picture of the year though!

Old 06-22-2020, 04:56 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

These current bells and whistles radios with all their programming capabilities have spoilt us rotten, as before we relied totally on mechanical trimming to get everything just how we wanted it.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:25 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I still do. Would rather have all the linkages exactly how they should be rather than rely on digital settings that can be inadvertently changed. The fancy stuff though does come in handy when you want scale like operations or need to do something that normally can't be done mechanically like Flaperons or Spoilerons, or slowing down servo speeds for flaps.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:01 PM
ETpilot

Well you all, today I received confirmation that I am eligible for burial in a VA National Cemetery. So I will make that one last trip to Florida where most of my family is located.

The severe weather for my area has not lived up to the forecast so far. It looked like a powerful system was headed my way. It went right by me. I did have to lower the flag as it created lots of wind. It gave a death blow to my Bradford Pear tree. Weather got this tree a few years ago. Half the tree came down. Now a large limb has broken off. I had to trim it in the wind; get it off the gate. Remaining tree does not look too good and more limbs may break off. So next fair weather period I’ll cut it down. It once was a real beautiful tree. Unfortunately, these trees weaken with age. Firewood? Hmmmm!! More weather still forecast for this week.

I stopped by my foam source in town. I got several pieces of some very strong foam. Good for building an airplane. I’m done with balsa for now so foam is the alternative. I’m building a PC power supply. Good for the workbench and for powering a hot wire bow. Here I powered it up and tested all the wires for voltage. All ok so I'll add the switch, indicator light and power posts. This power supply will have more capacity than the one I use now.

Not sure why the tree picture rotated left. Can’t fix it.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:41 PM
FlyerInOKC

I wonder if you can smoke with Pear wood? I know Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Pecan, and Mesquite woods all work pretty good.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:22 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Not sure why the tree picture rotated left. Can’t fix it.

It regards the unseen descriptive header buried in the photo, which contains optional info on camera make and model, size of image, orientation of image. Some photo importing and editing aps try to outsmart the user by making its own decision, like the native orientation of the camera (set it to landscape). You may have to use a photo editor to correct before uploading to RCU. Here I have corrected it using Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program):

Old 06-23-2020, 02:10 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I wonder if you can smoke with Pear wood? I know Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Pecan, and Mesquite woods all work pretty good.
Did a search on Arborist site. It appears to be a good smoking wood.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:17 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
It regards the unseen descriptive header buried in the photo, which contains optional info on camera make and model, size of image, orientation of image. Some photo importing and editing aps try to outsmart the user by making its own decision, like the native orientation of the camera (set it to landscape). You may have to use a photo editor to correct before uploading to RCU. Here I have corrected it using Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program):
Thanks for that info. It has only happened a couple of times. I have a photo editor and will see if it corrects the problem. Found a picture of when half the tree came down. Nov 1, 2018. I may have a chance, today, to drop the tree before a weather system gets here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.