Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
AMA says, "Wait to register" >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
IMO, producing a video with no new news it a waste of everyone's time,, It's like getting a letter from a client that owes you money, you expect a check, but get a note saying they can't pay right now,,, worthless words.
I think we need a status, yet to me a status is a status on some movement. I am like you as I feel it is a waste of time doing a video with the same basic info. At least give us something that is specific, realistic and time bound. Plan the work and work the plan.

An example of helpful news based on solid action items would be: "By the deadline that was set forth, we did not hear back from our FAA representative, so we attempted another communication with our representative at the FAA via phone and email with agenda xxxx. We were notified that a date for a meeting would be set within the next 24 hours. We will monitor this progress and if no notification of a meeting time is set within 24 hours, we will follow up by xxxxx. We will update our membership by COB Friday with a progress report."
Old 01-06-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'm spit balling here...but its a safe bet that this system was in the works at least 6 months before it went live...and that is from a vendor/ company that knows what is doing...let alone an agency so large as...well heck any federal agency. Think about how long it took once the group of 28 made their suggestions to the faa....and then when the faa ruling came down...to when the website went up. Impossible to have been put together and started in that period of time.

And yes...we should first and some humor in all this stuff...it gets far to serious around here sometimes.
And this is why I (and probably many others) have little inclination to go with AMA's request to comment once more. It's simply a waste of our time at this point. This has all been decided and pre-set by FAA a long time ago. What we (flyers) do now, or don't do now, will make ZERO difference. I'm sure that the die has been set for quite awhile.

It's just like Oby-care, vote first, see later.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
And this is why I (and probably many others) have little inclination to go with AMA's request to comment once more. It's simply a waste of our time at this point. This has all been decided and pre-set by FAA a long time ago. What we (flyers) do now, or don't do now, will make ZERO difference. I'm sure that the die has been set for quite awhile.

It's just like Oby-care, vote first, see later.
Ignoring comments can be detrimental in a court case. The judge might not agree with their explanation of why the comment was not considered. But without a comment there will be no discussion with the judge.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:55 AM
My Feedback: (49)

I'm spit balling here...but its a safe bet that this system was in the works at least 6 months before it went live...and that is from a vendor/ company that knows what is doing...let alone an agency so large as...well heck any federal agency. Think about how long it took once the group of 28 made their suggestions to the faa....and then when the faa ruling came down...to when the website went up. Impossible to have been put together and started in that period of time.

And yes...we should first and some humor in all this stuff...it gets far to serious around here sometimes.
What's Funny about a $27,000 to $250,000 Fine and 3 years in leavenworth.
I fail to see the Humor anymore. The Feds are going to get serious one of these days and some one is going to be made a very expensive example of ... Win or loose they'll pay through the Nose. Any one wanna start a "Go Fund Me Page" right here on RCU for the first succker they go after?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Looks like a bunch of the Prolific writers
here
are missing out on a good opportunity.
http://www.thebarefootwriter.com/fre...FdcegQodAd0G-A
Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
What's Funny about a $27,000 to $250,000 Fine and 3 years in leavenworth.
I fail to see the Humor anymore. The Feds are going to get serious one of these days and some one is going to be made a very expensive example of ... Win or loose they'll pay through the Nose. Any one wanna start a "Go Fund Me Page" right here on RCU for the first succker they go after?
I'm taking a nap...hope you are in a better mood when I wake up! Smile some, and laugh for gods sake, you're gettin all doom and gloomy buddy. You keep referencing worst case scenarios for fines....not mentioning that it's a scaled approach, case by case. Verbal warnings, written warnings, fines UP TO the amount you noted, and also possible criminal prosecution and 3 hots and a cot. I have tons of empathy for all kinds of different transgressions, but if someone does something reckless that causes damage to property or to person, I'm not going to shed a tear if they get hammered. Whether they knew the riles or didn't, that's on them. I know (or hope) that you meant the go fund me think in a joking way, but why on gods earth would we ever want to pay for someone elses stupidity. They aren't going to go after someone who made a simple mistake if they are registered. The chances that someone from the FAA or local LE is going to be involved in an RC situation is pretty darn slim.

Nobody NOT following the rules/regs is going to have anything to worry about. If ya don't do nothing wrong, you won't get caught.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Banned

here
How much did you get paid for the first book. Are they picky about fonts and colors?

Oh snap...I did go there!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 PM

here

How much did you get paid for the first book. Are they picky about fonts and colors?

Oh snap...I did go there!
Color & Font Color & Font ,,, but the color is for Emphasis I take it U might see red nos and then I only use magenta I think Like on Sectional charts t markings of a Class C airspace. The magenta lines define the inner and outer “shelf.” Pictured more closely is the magenta text that define the limits of each area. This one defines the inner core

Thanks and I have yet to get My Buck 2 eighty.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I think we need a status, yet to me a status is a status on some movement. I am like you as I feel it is a waste of time doing a video with the same basic info. At least give us something that is specific, realistic and time bound. Plan the work and work the plan.

An example of helpful news based on solid action items would be: "By the deadline that was set forth, we did not hear back from our FAA representative, so we attempted another communication with our representative at the FAA via phone and email with agenda xxxx. We were notified that a date for a meeting would be set within the next 24 hours. We will monitor this progress and if no notification of a meeting time is set within 24 hours, we will follow up by xxxxx. We will update our membership by COB Friday with a progress report."
Boy, wouldn't that be nice if we had updates like that?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
And this is why I (and probably many others) have little inclination to go with AMA's request to comment once more. It's simply a waste of our time at this point.
Not to mention the AMA is asking us to largely just repackage comments that didn't work the first time...
Old 01-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Boy, wouldn't that be nice if we had updates like that?
Really...if that came from the AMA you wouldn't find an issue with the whole thing....c'mon!

Not to mention the AMA is asking us to largely just repackage comments that didn't work the first time...
If they make suggestions, there are complaints that the suggestions aren't good enough. They were also different, but lets not split hairs.

If they don't make suggestions, there are complaints that they weren't given sufficient suggestions.

How are they supposed to do everything to make everyone happy?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really...if that came from the AMA you wouldn't find an issue with the whole thing....c'mon!

If they make suggestions, there are complaints that the suggestions aren't good enough. They were also different, but lets not split hairs.

If they don't make suggestions, there are complaints that they weren't given sufficient suggestions.

How are they supposed to do everything to make everyone happy?

well I tell you the first few they catch will get the book thrown at them to make a example of , watch and see , glad I am legal have my FAA number 27000 dollars to 250000 dollar fine and or 3 years in jail is not nothing to mock about , FAA is the boss AMA is just a agency the government FAA has the rule over the AMA. The AMA failed the first time now they want you to wait while they fail again . 336 was for airplanes we as pilots are registering us as pilots with the FAA this registeration hinders nothing from 336 just go register and quit all this bickering AMA will not win this case and when it happens I am going to say TOLD YOU SO !!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM

They were also different, but lets not split hairs.
What?

(1) 336 doesn't allow you to regulate us. Made that argument last time. Swing and miss.

(2) We have a great safety record so let us self-regulate. Made that argument last time. Swing and miss.

(3) We're exempt from registration (based on 336 prohibition ... see above ... tried that last time too). Swing and miss.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Banned

What?

(1) 336 doesn't allow you to regulate us. Made that argument last time. Swing and miss.

(2) We have a great safety record so let us self-regulate. Made that argument last time. Swing and miss.

(3) We're exempt from registration (based on 336 prohibition ... see above ... tried that last time too). Swing and miss.
Those were the only talking points?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
well I tell you the first few they catch will get the book thrown at them to make a example of , watch and see , glad I am legal have my FAA number 27000 dollars to 250000 dollar fine and or 3 years in jail is not nothing to mock about , FAA is the boss AMA is just a agency the government FAA has the rule over the AMA. The AMA failed the first time now they want you to wait while they fail again . 336 was for airplanes we as pilots are registering us as pilots with the FAA this registeration hinders nothing from 336 just go register and quit all this bickering AMA will not win this case and when it happens I am going to say TOLD YOU SO !!!!!!!
I would hold off on the told you so's, and here's why. The figures you note above are worst case scenarios, as in the maximums. When a new rule like this comes along it's rare that the first offenders will get the books thrown at them. Not every infraction is going to call for the book to be thrown at them. The FAA has said the main purpose of this process is education, and for safety. They are going to look at each incident on it's own merits. Certainly we would want the 14 year old who lost control of his aircraft by accident (or high winds) and flew over 400 feet into a restricted air space to be treated differently than the 40 year old guy who flew his high end "drone" over a major league baseball game to get cool video, then lost control and struck and injured someone right? Both ultimately violated the law, but should be treated differently. I believe they indicated depending on the severity they will go with verbal warnings, written warnings, then fines, and then possible criminal prosecution.

I won't have a problem with that, there is some built in common sense to the punishment component.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This discussion is well past the issues at hand. It's become a "I'm right and your are wrong" debate. Typical of what happens in long winded discussions.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:09 PM

I would hold off on the told you so's, and here's why. The figures you note above are worst case scenarios, as in the maximums. When a new rule like this comes along it's rare that the first offenders will get the books thrown at them. Not every infraction is going to call for the book to be thrown at them. The FAA has said the main purpose of this process is education, and for safety. They are going to look at each incident on it's own merits. Certainly we would want the 14 year old who lost control of his aircraft by accident (or high winds) and flew over 400 feet into a restricted air space to be treated differently than the 40 year old guy who flew his high end "drone" over a major league baseball game to get cool video, then lost control and struck and injured someone right? Both ultimately violated the law, but should be treated differently. I believe they indicated depending on the severity they will go with verbal warnings, written warnings, then fines, and then possible criminal prosecution.

I won't have a problem with that, there is some built in common sense to the punishment component.

you are correct porcia , but I believe they will make a example of the first few they catch , too me it is just better to register that was why I registered , I called and talked to Tony Stillman before I registered and could not get any positive answers from him , so I told him I was going to go ahead and register and not take a chance of this getting caught in the middle and he said ok , I have been a member of the AMA for 30 years , the AMA is trying to help but they can only do so much against a giant like the FAA my2 cents worth
Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobH
This discussion is well past the issues at hand. It's become a "I'm right and your are wrong" debate. Typical of what happens in long winded discussions.
Then I guess we'll just close up the thread......
Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Banned

you are correct porcia , but I believe they will make a example of the first few they catch , too me it is just better to register that was why I registered , I called and talked to Tony Stillman before I registered and could not get any positive answers from him , so I told him I was going to go ahead and register and not take a chance of this getting caught in the middle and he said ok , I have been a member of the AMA for 30 years , the AMA is trying to help but they can only do so much against a giant like the FAA my2 cents worth
at the end of the day the decision to register is a personal one, and shouldn't be second guessed. You did what you felt was best, and that's that. Tony is a great guy (I've met him a few times when he travels around with the flight simulator trailer) but he can only answer so much. Can't remember if you are in NY, for some reason I thought you were, I think Tony will be at the WRAM show in NY in Feb.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Then I guess we'll just close up the thread......
That makes a lot of sense
Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I agree 100%, I have already made the choice to register early and if it turns out we don't have to then good but I doubt that will be the case but I see no harm in anyone doing their resignation now. If everyone waits to the last
day not only will you have to pay the five bucks although that won't break the piggy bank but I think it will be more of a hassle and may cause some to be out of compliance for a long time after the grace period is over.
This isn't like you are registering a gun they can come to your home and take away. its a model airplane or drone... its a Toy, a hobby. They won't do anything with the database except to prosecute those who violate the law. Its like any other American freedom that has gone away, because of technology changes and overpopulation. And not to mention the constant threat of terrorism.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mattster1971
This isn't like you are registering a gun they can come to your home and take away. its a model airplane or drone... its a Toy, a hobby. They won't do anything with the database except to prosecute those who violate the law. Its like any other American freedom that has gone away, because of technology changes and overpopulation. And not to mention the constant threat of terrorism.
NO it's not it's the registration of PEOPLE specifically you as the OWNER/Pilot of the any R/C TOY U wish to fly in the NAS. ( no need to place YOUR Registration) on anything U don't fly or hang in your basement.

Stop saying we are Registering airplane / Drones it Just ain't so.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:59 AM

at the end of the day the decision to register is a personal one, and shouldn't be second guessed. You did what you felt was best, and that's that. Tony is a great guy (I've met him a few times when he travels around with the flight simulator trailer) but he can only answer so much. Can't remember if you are in NY, for some reason I thought you were, I think Tony will be at the WRAM show in NY in Feb.

no I am in middle GA , and Tony is a great guy and I believe he knows this isa no win for them , I have known Tony a long time , according to articles I have checked looks like over a 160k have registered don't know what percentage is AMA members , I know all the guys I fly with around local and IMAC have registered and that is well over 200 . wish they would post registered numbers, and I am not second guessing just think it will weed out all the trouble makers we have who want no one to tell them where and how to fly just my 2 cents worth !!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Banned

no I am in middle GA , and Tony is a great guy and I believe he knows this isa no win for them , I have known Tony a long time , according to articles I have checked looks like over a 160k have registered don't know what percentage is AMA members , I know all the guys I fly with around local and IMAC have registered and that is well over 200 . wish they would post registered numbers, and I am not second guessing just think it will weed out all the trouble makers we have who want no one to tell them where and how to fly just my 2 cents worth !!
Aha...no wonder you have such a good disposition..you don't have to deal with the cold!

FAA released numbers yesterday I believe, 181,00 people have registered. I don't believe it will ever be possible to see who is AMA and who is not. As for troublemakers, well those can be in both camps. Don't forget fixed wing pilots were doing FVP and BLOS far earlier than the drone dudes were. I wish the whole reg and lawsuit issues would be resolved so we could go back to arguing about who's plane is nicer, and that Futaba is better than Spektrum or vice versa!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 AM

I know and yes we have a little cold here not a lot , we are lucky we have 2 great fields here to fly at both belong to us GAMA ,maybe some day you can come fly with us would be great to meet other pilots , heck we have 160 members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.