Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:27 PM
jonny didmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

I should have included front views, here they are. More pics yeah!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:29 PM
jonny didmo

...or not. ugh. Trying again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62897.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	511172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94088.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	511173  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: googledperson
And armed zagi where did you get the plans for that foamie? My final AA is down i was testing what the oil did and a slight bump looks as though it cause the entire shaft to go straight through the motor.
[link=http://www.aatoolbox.no-ip.org/]http://www.aatoolbox.no-ip.org/[/link]
Its in the jet section under plans...theres a cool video of it and a .pdf file with templates. Tell me how it comes out.

And jonny ..that thing is most definatly UNIQUE
Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 AM
Neurotex

jd, that's one crazy looking plane!

ArmedZagi, looks like a good straight build and very light. I think
it would be a great plane for the AA.

Almost lost my AA jet last night. Landed in the gutter of a building about
25 feet up. Went home, got a ladder and a 10' foot pole and spent about
15 minutes in the dark on top the ladder trying to flick the thing out.
I'm getting to old for stunts like that!

Ferndale, got a chainsaw? Seriously, got me a used one and I'm not affraid
to use it. [>:]
Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
googledperson

Well when i was putting the prop on to test it i think i rammed the shaft through the motor as it does not work anymore and goes in and out really far. do you think i could cut the wires and solder a working motor from one of my old aas on? or should i just buy a new one (i was thinking about getting the jet)?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:28 PM
rjgstrong

Hello yall!
I bought 2 AA biplanes today after playing around with one that my girlfriend's dad had this weekend. The feeling i get when flying it reminds me of what it was like to be a kid...
Having said that, is the AA Jet as good a performer as the Biplane?
Does the biplane perform better with or without the lower wing?

thanks in advance,
AB
Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
googledperson

the mono (wing) is much better than the bipe, it is faster, more agile, but takes some fine tuning to get the best flight (trimming elevator shafts etc.) but overall once you think you can handle it you should try it. Also, yo can always put the wings back on if you dont like it (just take them off carefully). I personally love the mono because with the elevators down it does cool swooping turns. If you remove the bottom wings try experiments with adding extensions to the top ones. By adding the bottom to the top i was able to increase the climb and gliding capabilities and do a backflip! the extensions are much harder to control and to turn them efficiently the motors should be moved out. As for the jet i have yet to find one but from reviews the design of them helps them glide a lot better and handle wind but they are no longer indoor flyers.
A question from myself: DOes anyone out there have the airhogs titan? its a plane with a 3ft wingspan and 4 ducted fan engines. If so is it good? and how much is an average price?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:36 PM
rjgstrong

thanks googledperson,
turns out, one of the planes to bought was flying heavy for some reason so i took em off before i read your reply and it works perfectly. im gonna try moding the upperwing soon.
i was reading some posts last night and found out some info on the titan. from what i can gather, spin master has discontinued production and almost denies the plane was ever manufactured. they consider it "obsolete" and wont even provide tech support for it. read back a few pages on this thread and you'll see someone talking about how it won't even glide. the package claims it uses "thrust vectoring" to manuver, but the guy said it wont even stay in the air. i actually saw one of these for sale at a costco here in memphis a few months ago. i believe it was about $65. i suggest you buy 2 biplanes instead and enjoy!
-AB
Old 08-22-2006, 05:48 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Goggled, I have a titan. Pics and some minor discussion in the last couple of pages. My review of flight of this plane would be short and to the point. I can't get the batteries to hold a charge. I'm going to put mine on the dremel diet soon. With batteries mine weighs 690 grams. That said, the ones costco was selling are apparently good. I read a couple of good reviews back in may I think. Mine has a 48" wing span, 4 ducted fans, and is in the 27 Mhz range. I got one for my dad, he got his to fly on the first day, but it has to windy where he lives to fly it since then, his is a digital channel. The last time I saw them was at costco, they were in the 26 Mhz range. I think they were marked as titan 2.

As to jets, I have several, they are basically a flying wing. I find that they need little to no wind to fly, the kite factor is huge with these planes. I like them, but I think the AA has them beat hands down. AAmods has the jets I believe, and the target up here had several last week. Tim

PS I think boscovs might have some AA's.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

sorry about the misspelling Googledperson. Tim
Old 08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Neurotex

Yeah, the jets are better with little or no wind. Found that out yesterday- it was like
trying to control a kite with little knobber'z. It's now on the chopping block anyway....

Added the decals and a little paint to the F22. Also got it gliding great with 10 grams
of weight. I used 2 grams for each motor, 3 grams for the RX & 3 grams for the battery.
Only problem is where to cut the prop slits? In toward the fuselage or out toward the wing.

I can see another problem for me too. Crunch'n that nose during test flights. I already
did it once test gliding with cotton on the tip. Had to sand off a quarter inch to get a point
again. Foam is not forgiving!

Name:	Lj24094.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	511593  
Old 08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
googledperson

I think im gonna grab the jet as my past 3 aas have all been busts one of those being an 06'. I look for one tomorrow at the local target. I'll probably add landing gear so that it shifts the cneter of gravity. What if i took the aa jet guts and put them on an aa mono?!?! Wouldn't that be awesome? Let me know if anyone has tried this. Also, does anyone know if the aa electronics are the same weight (or relatively the same) as the aa jets?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:57 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I'm working the numbers on the titan, Approximately 315 SQ inches of wing for 690 grams of weight. And the weight is in the wing. The wing ass'y itself weighs 372 grams. That gives me 0.87 lift to weight. And is just the wing. No wonder this thing could never fly. Just for the heck of it here is the lift to weight for the plane, 0.46. A stock AA has 32.44 sq inches of wing and weighs 19.8g. That gives it a 1.64 lift to weight ratio. I don't know what to do with this thing now. Tim
Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

GP, they are exactly the same. I fly all of my AA's off the same controller. I think that everything that comes out under the AA brand will use the same controllers. Read my post on the landing gear carefully. The Center of Gravity is the most important thing. Also, the jet flies nothing like the Bipe. If you want the jet model to fly like the bipe in any way you will be disappointed. Good Luck, Tim

For those of you in snow and ice country, is anyone working on skis?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I'm working the numbers on the titan, Approximately 315 SQ inches of wing for 690 grams of weight. And the weight is in the wing. The wing ass'y itself weighs 372 grams. That gives me 0.87 lift to weight. And is just the wing. No wonder this thing could never fly. Just for the heck of it here is the lift to weight for the plane, 0.46. A stock AA has 32.44 sq inches of wing and weighs 19.8g. That gives it a 1.64 lift to weight ratio. I don't know what to do with this thing now. Tim
Build a balsa stick & tissue wing.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Would such a structure survive ducted fan motors? Could I perhaps build a wing from aluminum?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Neuro, is there another forum for working on these critters? I'm not asking this to keep from showing spinmasters asses hanging out there. I rather like that, after the dance I did with them for several weeks. And I kept my fingers silent during that time. I'm happy to move this train of conversation.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 PM
jonny didmo

Would such a structure survive ducted fan motors? Could I perhaps build a wing from aluminum?
Aluminum wing, maybe back it with foam where your motors would mount?

My latest, trying to work with the 3.5mm extruded polystyrene from slingwing but it's thick, heavy and I suspect it will be brittle, also the Gorilla Glue that I have been using for other things, isn't sticking this foam together very well so I have to reinforce with tape. I'll try sanding before gluing.

Pic is of a small test aluminum wing from an aluminum can & a straw inside to fill out the airfoil, and the latest tri-platter wing thing. It glides well but fast (w/3 quarters). Probably too heavy to do what I want which is tight circling climbs and slow straight flight. May have to reduce scale. Needs lots more work.

Name:	Tr49434.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	511675  
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I would build the wing around al welding rod and 1/8 al rod. But I think at that point I have a heavier wing. Now I thinking about taking a 24" wing span foam and strapping D F motors to it and using the existing radio gear. Listed as good too 100 yards+. And see what I can do. I have to set up a couple of rx for megabyte and set up what I would like back. That will be when I start altering AA's again.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Neurotex

You can build a balsa S&T wing to surprising strength. You could even cover it
with MonoKote to make it stronger. The ducted fans are no doubt heavy. You
should find a way to lighten them up some. Maybe even build lighter housings
for them. Seems like a lot of work- you think the plane is worth it?

I don't know of any forums for the monster. Might be good to find one since it's
discontinued and you may need parts for it in the future.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:06 AM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: jonny didmo

My latest, trying to work with the 3.5mm extruded polystyrene from slingwing but it's thick, heavy and I suspect it will be brittle, also the Gorilla Glue that I have been using for other things, isn't sticking this foam together very well so I have to reinforce with tape. I'll try sanding before gluing.

So you're not to happy with the foam from Slingwing?
What's the weight of your model?
Try using hot glue or Automotive Goop on the foam. Does the foam have a
backing or plastic covering on it?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
bigbadbowtie

I just picked up my 1st air based RC and it was an Aero Ace. I have been racing Stadium Trucks and 1/8 buggies for years. I have been hearing from a few friends how addicting these little things are..... I'll find out this evening!!!

I have not read the last 100+ pages but will attempt to read through it over the next day or so.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

lol, welcome to the addiction!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
jonny didmo

ORIGINAL: Neurotex

So you're not to happy with the foam from Slingwing?
What's the weight of your model?
Try using hot glue or Automotive Goop on the foam. Does the foam have a
backing or plastic covering on it?
Not really happy with it; it was a gift so i shouldn't complain. I do not know the weight but at a guess, 12.5 grams (w/a penny weighing 2.5g) or more. It takes 3 quarters taped to front to glide. I will try hot glue next. One side of the foam is a matte finish, slightly porous but the other side is more glossy. I don't think it's a plastic covering but might be that they use heat to somehow flatten it out from rolls so maybe the side that the heat is on becomes glossy?

I will make a crude balance scale to get a better idea of weight. But I'll be putting a new 06' aa guts on it soon so we will soon see if it flies under power. I like that I can mount the props well protected within the structure so they probably won't be damaged in tests. But I don't like the overall drag profile of 3.5mm for every piece of it, that's alot of resistance when you add it all up. If it flies I might make one out of aluminum. drag profile would be way less.

I haven't given up on the extruded polystyrene foam yet though.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: jonny didmo

Not really happy with it; it was a gift so i shouldn't complain. I do not know the weight but at a guess, 12.5 grams (w/a penny weighing 2.5g) or more. It takes 3 quarters taped to front to glide. I will try hot glue next. One side of the foam is a matte finish, slightly porous but the other side is more glossy. I don't think it's a plastic covering but might be that they use heat to somehow flatten it out from rolls so maybe the side that the heat is on becomes glossy?

I will make a crude balance scale to get a better idea of weight. But I'll be putting a new 06' aa guts on it soon so we will soon see if it flies under power. I like that I can mount the props well protected within the structure so they probably won't be damaged in tests. But I don't like the overall drag profile of 3.5mm for every piece of it, that's alot of resistance when you add it all up. If it flies I might make one out of aluminum. drag profile would be way less.

I haven't given up on the extruded polystyrene foam yet though.
If it's that light with the coinage it should fly nicely.
One way to find out if it's coated is to sand an edge of a scrap piece. If it
balls up or leaves a fuzz on the edge then it's coated with something. See
if you can pry the coating off with an X-acto.
If you think there's too much drag, sand a rounded edge to the LE & TE of
the wings.

I just gutted my stock AA jet. The plastic board mount is smaller than the
AA bipe and the antenna wire is thicker. It's also mounted better. No hassles
cutting that plastic tail boom like on the bipe. The switch is better on the jet too.
The jet makes a better mod than the bipe.
Much easier.

I cut the slots in the F22. They're cut much like the original AA jet.
The outer edges are cut on an angle and then sanded. It's not a squared
slot.

Name:	Rp44140.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	511994  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.