Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Hacker Senstrol Q80

Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 AM
F3ARacoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacker Senstrol Q80

Dear fellows,

Has anyone tried the Hacker Sentrol setup with Q80 14XS?

I have been using the hacker c54 on 3 blade for a while but would like to switch to senstrol. It will be used on a BJ Craft Element most probably but the model does not really matter.

Can you please share your experiences in flight, setting up, props used, brake setting, etc?

I saw Stefan Kaiser flying with this at the recent European Championship with an RS 3b carbon prop. It looked very good, but I guess for a pilot of that level this is the only option. :-)

Many thanks,
Nikolas
Old 08-09-2018, 02:27 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
It is an interesting concept.
I was considering it before but thought it would be too expensive to switch from my current ordinary non sensitrol Hacker Q80-14XS and Mezon ESC to a Sensitrol Q80-14XS and Sensitrol ESC. I asked Hacker if an ordinary Q80-14XS could be modifed to senstrol but it could not, one had to buy a new motor.
How good the Sensitrol package is I do not know. I know one top norwegian flyer used it last year in a biplane and I have seen him fly with the Sensitrol. He used a 2-blade prop (not sure what prop).
Slight negative is that one get locked into Hacker for both motor and ESC, and the Sensitrol ESC is on the heavy side also.
Maybe one could argue if a Contra would be better then a Sensitrol setup?
It is pros and cons with everyting. But what is the goal one want to achive?
If Sensitrol would give considerable advantages I suppose it should be more popular - but is it so many that use it?
It for sure would be interesting to hear if anyone had both a plane with Contra setup and a plane with Sensitrol setup, and hear opinion on the pros and cons for both systems by somone who has used them both.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 08-09-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:54 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi
There have been a couple of previous threads with additional information on it

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...sc-motors.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...light=senstrol

The constant speed under braking looks appealing. I have a plane sitting still in the box (CompARF Valiant) and was thinking of trying this motor/ESC just to see how it goes.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:38 PM
acro3d_F3A

Hello to all,
I just finished my super Fantasista BJ CRAFT.
For the engine I chose the Q80 14 XS Senstrol.
I just did a 20 Flights with it.
I discovered the plane and the Q80 14 XS Senstrol engine.
I perfectly customize the settings of the ESC SPIN99 with the normal Q80 14 XS.
During the first flights I used the RPM mode only.
The Q80 14 XS Senstrol is completely different from the normal Q80 14 XS.
The noise of the engine is non-existent (we hear that the noise of the propeller), the aircraft has a slower speed (Like a contra)
The real plus is on the engine brake, as the braking is constant and much more powerful.
To brake the motor reinjects the current back into the batteries, which means that you can fly longer or reduce the size of the batteries, thus saving weight.
Then I mixed the RPM and torque mode.
I use the torque mode only for vertical climbs
With the torque mode the engine power is higher than with the RPM mode.
Currently I have some adjustment problems with the torque mode (Switch to over-speed motor on descents).
I'm in the process of changing the settings and the propeller.
I don't regret my choice but to use Q80 14 XS Senstrol you need to understand how RPM and Torque mode work.
For me this engine is revolutionary (the fact of being able to switch to different parameters according to the figures to be performed)

To be continued
Old 04-04-2019, 02:03 AM
F3ARacoon

Originally Posted by acro3d_F3A View Post
Hello to all,
I just finished my super Fantasista BJ CRAFT.
For the engine I chose the Q80 14 XS Senstrol.
I just did a 20 Flights with it.
I discovered the plane and the Q80 14 XS Senstrol engine.
I perfectly customize the settings of the ESC SPIN99 with the normal Q80 14 XS.
During the first flights I used the RPM mode only.
The Q80 14 XS Senstrol is completely different from the normal Q80 14 XS.
The noise of the engine is non-existent (we hear that the noise of the propeller), the aircraft has a slower speed (Like a contra)
The real plus is on the engine brake, as the braking is constant and much more powerful.
To brake the motor reinjects the current back into the batteries, which means that you can fly longer or reduce the size of the batteries, thus saving weight.
Then I mixed the RPM and torque mode.
I use the torque mode only for vertical climbs
With the torque mode the engine power is higher than with the RPM mode.
Currently I have some adjustment problems with the torque mode (Switch to over-speed motor on descents).
I'm in the process of changing the settings and the propeller.
I don't regret my choice but to use Q80 14 XS Senstrol you need to understand how RPM and Torque mode work.
For me this engine is revolutionary (the fact of being able to switch to different parameters according to the figures to be performed)

To be continued
Really good info. Thanks!

I have found also that in the constant RPM mode the power is not great. That means that someone must switch between RPM and Torque in flight. This can be mixed with the throttle stick, e.g. >50%. I currently have it on a 3 state switch. Off, RPM, Torque.

Also the break needs to be adjusted with the idle in the RPM, have you done this, it is more or less trial and error.

Finally, what prop are you using?

I have only 6 flights with this setup but changed prop and will try out soon. I will try the Falcon 21.5x13.

Looking forward to your answer.

Thanks and regards,
Nikos
Old 04-10-2019, 01:03 PM
acro3d_F3A

Hello Nikos,
I discover like you the Q80 14 XS sentrol.

First of all I had set mode 1 in the esc and with a 3 position switch I selected (Off, RPM, Torque).

What you need to know about RPM and torque mode:
In RPM mode the throttle handle at 0% the engine always runs at a minimum speed (this is specific to RPM mode).
To test the ground torque mode on the aircraft, it is essential to mount a propeller on the engine. (If not, the engine will overrun and go into overspeed). This is normal operation.

Then I used a condition on the throttle handle (0--->>80% RPM mode, 80%--->100% torque mode).
This is currently the problem I have when flying in torque mode during horizontal translations with the wind in the back with the throttle handle 100% (but in F3A we don't fly as fast in translation)
What poses a problem in torque mode is the engine overspeeding which causes the esc to shut down (the esc switches to safety mode) and does not restart.
It is necessary to reset the ESC in flight.For this I switch to position 0 (OFF) and reset it to position 1 (RPM) to bring the aircraft back to the ground or continue the flight.
Currently I use a PT propeller model 21X13 W

to be continued
Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 AM
F3ARacoon

Hi there,

Last weekend I had around 12 flights with the model and setup.

Some facts from my side:

- I have around 500-800mAh less consumption versus the normal Hacker C54 I fly on my Promimtheas which is slightly heavier model. I think I can fly now with smaller 4.500 mAh and not 5.000 mAh for one schedule,with Q80 Senstrol.
- I do not use condition but I mix throttle with the channel in the Rx that controls the modes of the motor. The Torque Mode kicks in after 70-80% throttle travel.
- No cuts so far for me since I nearly never reach top throttle, the model would overspeed, something that you do not need anyway. But I have checked first on the ground, no issue at all. I am using the 120A ESC though.
- Break is phenomenal in straight and 45 degrees but not on verticals. Currently I am at the lowest RPM of the RPM mode and I think I need to experiment with higher rpm levels. Break in verticals is a matter of prop and pitch combined with suitable idle on the motor.

In general I am satisfied, the main problem of my model is not the motor currently, but trimming. I think I need to do some adjustments. Also I may try the 3B prop from Ralf Schweizer designed by Stefan Kaiser, may be vertical break is better.

I can not upload any pics in RCU since I am a new user (actually I am not) but unfortunately I have lost the credentials of my main account. :-)

Kind regards,
Nikos

Last edited by F3ARacoon; 04-11-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 PM
acro3d_F3A

Hello

I did a test by changing the propeller.
I installed a 21X14 mezlick now I no longer have ESC overspeed but the engine consumption is higher (identical to a 21X13 on a Q80 Normal).
Currently I have 5000Mah batteries once the q80 senstrol well set I will try with 4600Mah batteries.
Soon I will reassemble the PT propeller model 21X13W by modifying the maximum engine speed parameter (6000-- 6500 rpm) in order to shift the ESC overspeed passage point.
At the end of the vetical descent I have to accelerate because the brake is really phenomenal.
You have to manage the throttle handle differently, it's impressive.

to be continued
Old 04-11-2019, 12:47 PM
F3ARacoon

Originally Posted by acro3d_F3A View Post
Hello

I did a test by changing the propeller.
I installed a 21X14 mezlick now I no longer have ESC overspeed but the engine consumption is higher (identical to a 21X13 on a Q80 Normal).
Currently I have 5000Mah batteries once the q80 senstrol well set I will try with 4600Mah batteries.
Soon I will reassemble the PT propeller model 21X13W by modifying the maximum engine speed parameter (6000-- 6500 rpm) in order to shift the ESC overspeed passage point.
At the end of the vetical descent I have to accelerate because the brake is really phenomenal.
You have to manage the throttle handle differently, it's impressive.

to be continued
Can you please provide your idle rpm in the RPM mode? Mine is very low I need to increase it but need some kind of base line.

Many thanks in advance,
Nikos
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 AM
acro3d_F3A

Hello ,
This week end i connect my jety box on the ESC to read the minium value of the rpm moteur and i send to you.

In your ESC what is the maximum value of the engine that has been set?