New Sebart Wind 50E

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Sebart Wind 50E

Velco,

Sorry, I totally forgot to respond and I apologize. Anyway, yes, I have flown all 3. All 3 are excellent planes. All 3 are perfectly valid for pattern practice planes. The Wind 50 is an excellent plane and I have flown all of the sequences including P & F 11 with them without problem. It flies a little faster, but I'm not sure that is a bad thing in windy conditions. The Miss Wind flies UNBELIEVABLE, and the rudder authority is unmatched in anything I have flown in that size. It is the first bipe I have ever flown that does not require ANY roll coupling. It performs knife edge maneuvers exceptionally well, and in general is a lot of fun to fly. It's downside is that on a windy day with the added side area, it does get tossed around a little bit more, this is probably due to it having a slightly lighter wing loading as well. I also don't think the rolling maneuvers look quite as sharp, even though the plane performs them very well, I think the Wind 50 looks better in a roll because of the swept wing. The Wind 110 is a larger plane and also flies very well. On a calm day I think the Wind 50 presents better, as I think the swept wing really looks cool in the air. Since it is larger it does not get bumped around that badly on a really windy day. For lower classes I would say that the Wind 50 and the Wind 110 are the best option because of penetration in the wind. The bipe also penetrates well, but it does get bounced on a really windy day. I think if you are an upper class flier you would enjoy the bipe more as it does the F style maneuvers of rolling loops and circles easier because of the increased side area, which is I'm sure why Seba flies the bipe for F and unknowns. Between the Wind 50 and the Miss Wind 50, flying the same sequences the bipe will use slightly more mah per flight due I'm sure to the increased drag of the bipe.

I will say that bipe is VERY sexy in the air and if I had to just buy one of the 3, I think I would buy the bipe for the cool factor and the fact that it flies some stuff better, and overall flies pretty close to the other two on most maneuvers. The only downside to the bipe is the fact it gets tossed a little more on a windy day, but certainly not bad enough to say it is hard to fly.

Hope this helps,

Arch
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
rcpattern

ORIGINAL: desertrider49

I have a question:
Once in a while when flying and I throttle up, I hear banging sounds. Does anyone have any ideas what the cause is? I have the standard setup I bought from F3A, it's a Hacker motor.
Thanks
Randy
Mine turned out to be the long extensions in the tail. I had mine tied off at the front, but not all the way back. Once I tied them off to the 2 formers I could reach, the noise has stopped,

Arch
Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 AM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

I have a question:
Once in a while when flying and I throttle up, I hear banging sounds. Does anyone have any ideas what the cause is? I have the standard setup I bought from F3A, it's a Hacker motor.
Thanks
Randy
Mine turned out to be the long extensions in the tail. I had mine tied off at the front, but not all the way back. Once I tied them off to the 2 formers I could reach, the noise has stopped,

Arch

Thanks for the reply Arch, but it can't be my servo extensions, I run mine through a length of heat shrink tubing you can get at a good electronics store, they come in 3 or 4 foot lengths. I have a feeling it could be the canopy, I installed a canopy latch I bought from F3Aunlimited but it broke so I went back to the factory two bolt system, until I can get a replacement, and one side of the canopy is pretty loose, which could be the noise, and the noise is pretty loud. I've e-mailed F3A this morning asking when they will be getting them back in stock, but no reply yet. I have to get that exact one since I had to drill holes for the mounting bolts in the canopy. If you know somewhere else that stocks those latches I would appreciate the tip.

Randy
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
rcpattern

BVM used to carry some that were similar. They were more expensive, but I had them on my old Black Magic V3 for over 2500 and they still worked.

Arch
Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
desertrider49

BVM used to carry some that were similar. They were more expensive, but I had them on my old Black Magic V3 for over 2500 and they still worked.

Arch
Thanks, just ordered one, looks like it's close enough that I can make it work, will still get a couple spares when F3A gets them back in stock.

Randy
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Velco

Velco,

Sorry, I totally forgot to respond and I apologize. Anyway, yes, I have flown all 3. All 3 are excellent planes. All 3 are perfectly valid for pattern practice planes. The Wind 50 is an excellent plane and I have flown all of the sequences including P & F 11 with them without problem. It flies a little faster, but I'm not sure that is a bad thing in windy conditions. The Miss Wind flies UNBELIEVABLE, and the rudder authority is unmatched in anything I have flown in that size. It is the first bipe I have ever flown that does not require ANY roll coupling. It performs knife edge maneuvers exceptionally well, and in general is a lot of fun to fly. It's downside is that on a windy day with the added side area, it does get tossed around a little bit more, this is probably due to it having a slightly lighter wing loading as well. I also don't think the rolling maneuvers look quite as sharp, even though the plane performs them very well, I think the Wind 50 looks better in a roll because of the swept wing. The Wind 110 is a larger plane and also flies very well. On a calm day I think the Wind 50 presents better, as I think the swept wing really looks cool in the air. Since it is larger it does not get bumped around that badly on a really windy day. For lower classes I would say that the Wind 50 and the Wind 110 are the best option because of penetration in the wind. The bipe also penetrates well, but it does get bounced on a really windy day. I think if you are an upper class flier you would enjoy the bipe more as it does the F style maneuvers of rolling loops and circles easier because of the increased side area, which is I'm sure why Seba flies the bipe for F and unknowns. Between the Wind 50 and the Miss Wind 50, flying the same sequences the bipe will use slightly more mah per flight due I'm sure to the increased drag of the bipe.

I will say that bipe is VERY sexy in the air and if I had to just buy one of the 3, I think I would buy the bipe for the cool factor and the fact that it flies some stuff better, and overall flies pretty close to the other two on most maneuvers. The only downside to the bipe is the fact it gets tossed a little more on a windy day, but certainly not bad enough to say it is hard to fly.

Hope this helps,

Arch
Arch, thank you for your reply. It helped in a way that you have confirmed my impressions about those 3 planes. I have not flown Wind 50 but I had an Angel some time ago and it was very good. Iwas considering exchanging the bipe for Wind 50 but i have promissed my self that I will stick with 5S cells and my feeling is that due to Wind 50 total flying weigth of some 3,2kg 5S is a bit too much because the batteries would be pushed too hard. Wind 50 is a true 6S plane while the Miss Wind is on the limit for 5S. So I am sticking with Wind 110 and Miss Wind as my practice planes because also with Wind 110 on 10S 4900 I get at least 10 min of flying time and the batteries are really not pushed hard.

Velco

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
rcpattern

Honestly the Wind 50 would do better on 5S than the bipe. The bipe is draggier for obvious reasons. Both perform awesome on 6S. They are all 3 excellent flyers and I don't know that I would swap anything that you have for anything else.

I flew both the Wind 50 and the Miss Wind 50 this evening with 20+mph crosswind and it was noticeable how much the bipe was blown around. Not hard to fly, but definitely required more wind correction,

Arch
Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm flying mine on the A50-12s on 5S and it's got PLENTY of power.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 AM
stmdk

hi

im buliding the balck/yellow wind 50 and i wanted to know the Oracover color code, in case....
i sent a mail to Sebart, couple days ago and still got no reply!
can someone help me with it?

thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 AM
borabora22
My Feedback: (6)

Which one of these planes has better visibility in the air? red/blue or black/yellow
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
rjtw

My vote is for black/yellow. It has exceptional visibility. As an added plus, it's cool!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
rcpattern

Having seen both fly and flown both, I think for most people the yellow and black will show up better. I personally don't like the color yellow, so I went with the blue scheme, and it matched my 2m stuff. The blue is harder to see initially, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. I do think the yellow and black vanishes on cloudy days though,

Arch
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
desertrider49

I find that as the plane passes me and I'm looking at it from the back half the wing tip dissapears into the black under the wing.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
rcpattern

I think that happens with most pattern planes. Shadows play a major roll in the planes due to the size of the planes. In the right light conditions EVERY scheme will have some angle it doesn't show well in.

Arch
Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM
desertrider49

Right, I'm trying to get used to making sure the wings are level before it passes me and keep it from rolling. I've been pretty good at using the rudder to make minor direction changes. Now that I have the loose stab issue fixed I can concentrate on the sequence and hopefully make progress flying it.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 PM
rcpattern

Have you really gone through a trimming process and established the mixes that it needs? The plane flies pretty well off the board, but does require a couple of slight mixes. I would bet that the plane slightly rolls with the application of rudder, and also will need a couple of % of elevator on knife edge to keep it from going to the belly,

Arch
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM
desertrider49

Yes, we have it flying pretty straight in both knife edges, but it does dive a bit with rudder....what mix would I use to fix that ? Oh, we have a little down elevator at idle for the down line....is it still idle on an electric ? haha

Aso, I'm not good enough to flip switches all the time so the mixes are on all the time, except full rudder for the hammerhead.

The other thing, it needs a lot of down when inverted, the 2 point roll is pretty exciting when I get all confused. But, I have only had one good flight since I got it flying the same every flight.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
rcpattern

OK, sounds like you are very close. If it dives with rudder input, then mix some up elevator to rudder. I think I'm running about 4% with this plane, which is normal. Try a couple of % and see what it does. Also, if it takes more down elevator than you like for inverted, but does everything else well, then I would remove some expo on down elevator if you have any. If you don't, you can add some opposite expo to make it more sensitive. You don't have to have identical setups for up and down elevator. On all of my planes, including the 2m. I have about 5% more down elevator than up, and usually a little bit of opposite expo (more sensitive around neutral), just to make the inverted feel like I want.

Arch
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
desertrider49

Also, if it takes more down elevator than you like for inverted, but does everything else well, then I would remove some expo on down elevator if you have any. If you don't, you can add some opposite expo to make it more sensitive. You don't have to have identical setups for up and down elevator. On all of my planes, including the 2m. I have about 5% more down elevator than up, and usually a little bit of opposite expo (more sensitive around neutral), just to make the inverted feel like I want.

Arch

Well crap, someone come over and hit me with a shovel, why didn't I think of that. I have 45% expo and 29% end point which ends up to be about 8 degrees of elev. so I'll experiment with expo and end point to make it work best for me.

Thanks Arch, you've been most kind to help me with my setup.

Randy
Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 AM
rcpattern

Glad to help,

Arch
Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 PM
rjtw

Idid some tidying up this week on the long leads back to the elevator servos, and replaced the dual 18" extensions per servo Ihad used with custom-length extensions while Iwas at it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12473.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1594536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74907.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1594537  
Old 04-16-2011, 08:20 AM
rcpattern

Also, if it takes more down elevator than you like for inverted, but does everything else well, then I would remove some expo on down elevator if you have any. If you don't, you can add some opposite expo to make it more sensitive. You don't have to have identical setups for up and down elevator. On all of my planes, including the 2m. I have about 5% more down elevator than up, and usually a little bit of opposite expo (more sensitive around neutral), just to make the inverted feel like I want.

Arch

Well crap, someone come over and hit me with a shovel, why didn't I think of that. I have 45% expo and 29% end point which ends up to be about 8 degrees of elev. so I'll experiment with expo and end point to make it work best for me.

Randy
Randy,

You will also want to fix the "29%" end point thing. When you are that low on throw you will have much reduced resolution on the servo. You are better off changing servo arms and such to be able to use closer to 100% travel and still have limited throw.

Arch
Old 04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
desertrider49

Arch

Randy
Randy,

You will also want to fix the ''29%'' end point thing. When you are that low on throw you will have much reduced resolution on the servo. You are better off changing servo arms and such to be able to use closer to 100% travel and still have limited throw.

Arch

Well....maybe I lied, the end point is at 100% and in the dual rate my low rate is 29% and my high rate is about 40%. My arms are 1", does that make more sense ?

thanks
Randy
Old 04-17-2011, 04:03 AM
rcpattern

Randy,

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Just making sure..

Arch
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
StefG

i have been flying my Wind s50 for about 2 months. using hacker 50 16S with Castle 100 Esc. i am using 6S 5000 lipos. i have expermited withnumerious props includingXOAR electricwood props in 16x8 and17x10. we have gotten the best preformance out of APCe 17x10 props. Flying weight with battery is 7.6 Lbs. A little heaver that posted due to size of battery and 100 amp ESC. Great flying plane. Will step up to the 110 in the near future. i also have the Miss Wind S50 bi-plane. i am using the same setup with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.