Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

FUNJET

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 PM
chippedprop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FUNJET

ORIGINAL: rino

Hi guys,

I'm ready to try out a very light setup. I love my Mega 16/25/2 on 5S but I want to change it up a bit.

What's the latest on the best lightweight setup. The Microdan was the rage for a while. Is is that or the Scorpion now?

Also, will an eflight 30 amp esc work for a lighter setup? My CC 80 will come out too.

Thanks,

Steve
I would go with the MicroDAN 2900kv on 3 or 4 cells use a e flite 60 amp ESC as it's a proven ESC to run the motor...any other ESC as for now it may stall...Dan and I are working/testing on the issue

On 4 cells expect 110 mph plus and unlimited climbs Use APC 4.75 x 4.75 carbon fiber prop
On 4 cells you will pull 50-54 amps if I remember the numbers.

Your looking at a motor weight of 1.5 oz making 600 to 700 watts

Set ESC to switching rate of 16hz...timing to 5 deg. to start you can play with the timing to increase power

use a turnigy 2650 4 cell get 2-3....flight times about 5-6 minutes...4 minutes WOT
Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Looking out for a new motor which would run on 4S 2200 mah pack. I have a 80 amp esc with me. I was thinking about the ARC 28 47 2 or 28 47 1.5. Which do you think would be a better motor for the batt and esc i have. I do not want to run the motor too hot.
Thanks

Chaitanya.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 AM
ArnieMaui

Great thread. Now that I am all fired up, were can I buy one of these bad boys (kit)? The whole country is sold out until late Jan.
Arnie
Old 12-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Gryphon

risky,

I read your reply a few hours ago...sorry, I have not been on here too much lately.

Between the two ARC motors that you mentioned the ARC 28-47-1.5 2800 (also called 28-48-1.5 2800) {both are about 3000-3050KV actual} would be better than its 2 turn version for max speed.

You did not state the "C" rating of your pack, I hope it's a 30C pack or as close to it as possible.

If not, I guess you can run a bit smaller prop and your future pack will serve you better.

Your ESC will be fine at 80-90A nonstop.

Funjets are not known for great cooling to motor. ARC motors have relatively high resistance as compared to MEGA....However I'm glad you are going with 5S for all out effort on ARC 1.5 as opposed to 6S on same motor because the prop would get even smaller.

6S attempts have all included huge dives and I feel that you can go faster on 5S in level flight as compared to 6S since your prop will be a bit bigger...more like 6S will be excessively small prop.

5S will be MORE fun all round...better acceleration and climbing too.

Check to see what a 5X5 prop draws when the pack is roughly 10% empty (not 100% full). If needed try LOW ESC timing advance on your CC80A to see if that curbs the AMPs a bit if needed. On some setups it does nothing.

***Get yourself a full size heat sink for your motor…..use throttle control and try to keep to 80A or little below…that’s already pushing it….think twice if going to 90A and better keep it full throttle for short passes….

Scroll down to Heat sink part # 3929 for 28mm diameter motor, 36mm long, and 40mm outer diameter.
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29b.html
***You might need to file down the very tip of the fins 1 or 2 mm…but that is your best bet for a heat sink….some people use thermal paste in between motor and heat sink for additional cooling. I have not used any yet.

If you want to stay on full throttle for longer period and will be getting a better battery later, the MEGA 16/25/2 2650KV is not only capable of handling more AMPs, it'll also generate less heat due to lower resistance.

From what you have told me, I think the ARC 1.5 turn should take care of your needs for now.

***When ready to find out its top speed by recording its sound or using a video to have the sound file plucked, ask us in a post about how to make a run.....such as make note of outside temps, stay level for 2 seconds after passing recorder etc...
Post video on U-tube, provide link here and ask folks to Doppler it for you if they can....they can also give you an idea of your in flight RPM. My friends can do it for you.

Have fun,

Gryphon
Old 12-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Gryphon

Merry Christmas and happy Holidays to all,

Gryphon
Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wishing all you FunJet addicts a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Gryphon

chippedprop, and Friends:

A little puzzle to spend a couple of minutes on.

Post # 916

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...37/key_/tm.htm

PM me with your guesses and I will PM you if you get it right.....NO POSTS ON THAT PLEASE.

Have a great new year everyone.

Gryphon
Old 01-02-2010, 12:35 AM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

Chipped,

I can't just use a CC45 with the Microdan? Do I really have to go the Eflight route?

Thanks,

Rino
(Steve)
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: rino

Chipped,

I can't just use a CC45 with the Microdan? Do I really have to go the Eflight route?

Thanks,

Rino
(Steve)
The only reason for using the eflight 60 amp
1- I know from my exp. that it works
2-motor will pull 54 amps on a 5.0x5.0 CF APC prop

I'm working with Dan to test diff. ESC's in the field and get a list together..... if CC has a swithing rate of 16hz on the 2900kv motor your good to fly...after a ground check of course.

I'll only post what I know 1st hand that works....I want to make that clear. E-flight does make a OK esc. I over amped my 60 (74 amps) for a many flights. It did not fail...it did start not delivering 100% power which was my warning that something was up.

I hope to post more answers ASAP
Cp
Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 AM
FreestyleAurelio

Hi guys, I'm an Italian boy and I am writing from Italy (I hope not to fail to write, I apologize if it should happen not very good at English). I often follow discussions on your forum because I find them very interesting and full of useful ideas to our wonderful hobby.
I make my compliments to all in this post to find the best solutions for Funjet has been phenomenally successful in addition to being a great airplane with excellent qualities of speed.
I start by saying not to have the model but many have in my field, we have pushed up to 6 cell lipo and was scared !!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d-yu5J8I7A
I offer my comlplimenti to those who have made fiber and above all to theb1bman that pulled a marvelous model!
Now we have found a similar pattern but a Funjet fiber, with canard is called Baio jet.
Unfortunately I can not tell you anything on the flight as I am a pilot but flies very well, models with built in fiber are quite different.
talking with the pilot, who is a friend of mine, he told me that is very different from Funjet in piloting.
here is the video of the testing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78JEwcXpa74
or
http://www.vimeo.com/8552186
a salute to all from Italy. I hope to share with you in the future, other emotions like that even if it is I like to fly airplanes (I love the 3D flight) but I identify with the shoes of the pilot every time flying fast and low on the track

Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Gryphon

Hi all,……..most folks should disregard this post and just skip reading it after the next sentence below.

If any one of you is interested in power system for ULTRA speed Funjets send me a PM.

2000W-3000W 28mm motors anyone?

Don't bother thinking about it unless you are willing to carry battery weight for it and to re-enforce the airframe (most likely Fiberglass).

POWER comes from battery...pure and simple.

Motor only converts most of it from electrical power into mechanical power.

If prop is too small it cannot make enough thrust to overcome the drag at high speed.

For all out effort: Don't think using small/cheap/inferior motors can make more and more power (Watts) just by increasing voltage and then running smaller prop to control the AMPS and having HIGH PITCH Speeds....you'll get your wish doing it that way, but the thrust of the prop will not allow you to get to your very HIGH speed goals.
Will not reach the Ultra high speeds that are in line with the extra watts being put into and out of the motor.

You need a motor that can swing adequate size prop at very high power levels in order to make more thrust to overcome the extra drag at Very high speed.

For all out effort, not even 160 gram ARC 28-58-1 can get the job done.

If you want to set Funjet speed records, do not plan around 4.7" diameter prop....better try designing around 5.5" diameter or similar (bigger if you like...maybe 6" diameter if you have BEST motor and enough battery to feed it).

2000W is good power but some of you will soon be looking for 2500-3000W range to stay ahead of the game. Only 1-2 series of motors can handle that.

Big boys can make level passes faster than others in dives....imagine if they also decide to do dives at 220+ MPH!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to fly near 180 MPH or faster raise your hand.

Don't assume you know about the power systems that are out there...never hurts to get help or 2nd opinion even if it is in PMs.

Assume you will need bungee launcher and cannot fly slow if you want to have ULTRA power and speed.

Gryphon
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

built a funjet. 2700 kv eflight motor,6x4 apc prop,2200 11.1 3s li-po,54 amp castle esc. launched it three times. it spins to inverted and hits the ground. once braking the prop, the the fuse into two pieces. never even tries to fly. i've hand launched alot of planes.....no probelm. this thing does nothing. the motor screams 32,000 rpm but no thrust at all it seems like. i have the plane fixed now and put the motor up front instead. battery in the hole in the exhaust for balance and esc in the middle. i'll see how it flies this way because the pusher sure ain't doing anything. it should be as fast, same prop and all. other guys do it but pushers don't work for me. they never have for some reason i thought this one was different. how wrong i was. i'll fly it like this or not at all....................RON
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: geeter

built a funjet. 2700 kv eflight motor,6x4 apc prop,2200 11.1 3s li-po,54 amp castle esc. launched it three times. it spins to inverted and hits the ground. once braking the prop, the the fuse into two pieces. never even tries to fly. i've hand launched alot of planes.....no probelm. this thing does nothing. the motor screams 32,000 rpm but no thrust at all it seems like. i have the plane fixed now and put the motor up front instead. battery in the hole in the exhaust for balance and esc in the middle. i'll see how it flies this way because the pusher sure ain't doing anything. it should be as fast, same prop and all. other guys do it but pushers don't work for me. they never have for some reason i thought this one was different. how wrong i was. i'll fly it like this or not at all....................RON
Houston We have A PROBLEM
Let me ask a couple of ?
Ok some of these will sound REAL stupid and don't get upset OK

1- I'll assume the motor was in the correct rotation ie. pushing blowing away from the plane

2- Did you have the APC prop size numbers facing toward the nose?

3- Battery fully charged on launch?

4- Did you balance the plane-correct center of gravity. Funjet likes a little nose heavy-and the big secert-did you balance the plane from wing tip to wing tip-Funjets are a little left wing heavy.

5- Did you check to make sure the servos move the correct way-easy to do standing and looking at the rear of the plane-move the right stick to the right -right elevon goes up.
move the right stick to the left,left elevon comes up-at the same time your checking the reverse happens on the other elevon
right stick pull down both elevons come up and reverse when pushed up or forward

so the tip to remember.....stand behind the plane and the controls surfaces should move with your right stick on your radio. Full smooth motion.

6- On set up of the elevons did you center them?

7-Is the thrust angle on the motor mount/adjustment tab set at zero per instructions?

8-Look very close at the plane as it sits on a flat surface any wings warped or vert fins curved/bent? Is one wing higher then the other?

I had a plane with the same problem and found it was 1 servo that would drift off center and only during flight.

See if you find any of these issues you can PM me if you like.
Cp
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 PM
risky

Good advice C.P., a couple of other suggestion's for you geeter
you don't need to handlaunch at full throttle, there is a lot of torque with a high kv motor , mine will flip almost inverted if I launch at more than 1/2 throttle {3200kv on 4cells}
don't try to throw the plane at an extreme angle, maybe 10 or 20 degrees above horizontal
make sure your elevons are aligned with the wing, then give yourself 3 or 4 click's of right trim {i'm assuming it is rolling left on launch from torque}
I hope this help's you out ..have fun
Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM
geeter

did anyone try puting thew motor in the front of a funjet? can't get mine to launch at all as a pusher. just dives to the ground and rolls over. tried it three times and no luck but it;s still flyable. it has a 2700 kv eflight and a 6x4 prop.................RON
Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

geeter are you throwing her hard enough? Also, chucking it with perhaps like 75% throttle? Are your elevators slightly up? The FunJet flies with a bit of up elevator. Perhaps about 2mm-3mm.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: geeter

did anyone try puting thew motor in the front of a funjet? can't get mine to launch at all as a pusher. just dives to the ground and rolls over. tried it three times and no luck but it;s still flyable. it has a 2700 kv eflight and a 6x4 prop.................RON
Once you master the technique it is no problem, we always got someone else to lauch at the start. You were always taught to launch a model slightly down, not so with the funjet you can easily lauch at 30 deg up.

This is what I do now when on my own, I have a mix setup on my transmitter (I use the gear switch) that puts both ailerons up (up elevator) about 5mm, this aids the launch and I just throw it ! soon as it is airbourne I flick off the switch
Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
bigdog5332

well guys i flew my funjet for the first two flight yesterday and after talking to b1bman(he build the all carbon fiber funjet) about his thrust angle and expo...i got this thing flying great. i had the ice lite 100amp esc and the e-flite six series 2700kv motor on 3s hyperion 2600 and a 6x5.5 or 6x4 apc prop on it and it is really fun to fly
i am running 25% expo in the ailerons and 20 in the elevator and about 1.5 marks up from zero on the thrust angle and it stay really level both on and off the throttle
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM
chippedprop

YEAH !!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER HAPPY CUSTOMER ...............YIPPY
Cp
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
theb1bman

ORIGINAL: bigdog5332

well guys i flew my funjet for the first two flight yesterday and after talking to b1bman(he build the all carbon fiber funjet) about his thrust angle and expo...i got this thing flying great. i had the ice lite 100amp esc and the e-flite six series 2700kv motor on 3s hyperion 2600 and a 6x5.5 or 6x4 apc prop on it and it is really fun to fly
i am running 25% expo in the ailerons and 20 in the elevator and about 1.5 marks up from zero on the thrust angle and it stay really level both on and off the throttle
I saw you fly it after the expo you put in it I didn't get a chance to ask you how you liked it
It looked to be flying a lot smoother for you and your low passes where getting lower.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:17 PM
geeter

funjet won't fly. everything is set up according to the book. double and triple checked everything. launching the plane it torques to the left hard and looses it lift. tried three times breaking it twice. i'm running a 2700 kv e-flight six series motor 3-s 2100 11.1 volt li-po..castle 54 amp esc.a apc 6x4 pusher prop. yes it's going in the right direction LOL. still can't seem to get her up and flying. elevons are set up right with about 2 mm up to start with. is this too much prop and maybe torqueing the plane over about 1/2 throttle on take off. plane is balanced right on the cg bumps. i noticed alot of guys are using a 4x 3 3/4 prop.........any help out there........thanks............RON
Old 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I am using a 6x4 prop on a 2200kv motor probably a 5x5 would be better on yours but not the problem.

The prop may be going the right way but is it on the right way [sm=confused.gif] double check, I have done it loads of times when I break a prop and dont think when fitting it.

Point it high and launch at full power unless something is badly wrong it will climb like mad with a 2700kv motor.
Run a bit with it if you are not confident throwing it.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
bigdog5332

hey b1bman...it flew a lot better..that morning i was thinking i wanted another stryker...and then after i few it with the expo i totally changed my mind and i think it is in the top two of my favorite planes along with my p-51 that i was flying out there.
thanks for the help again
bigdog

also is there any other props out there that will make it faster with the e flite 2700. i am currently pullin 41.8 amps max on the ground...the batteries are good for 90 and the esc is a 100 so if i prop up some and maybe fet the amps to around 50-55...my setup made 435 watts max and it started to drop to around 425 after full throttle on the ground. and i was running the 6x4apc on it. i am willing to try to make custom props if i need to to make it a little faster n this setup
Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 PM
alex_scratch_built

Hey Geeter,
Post a picture of your prop and the show or tell the rotation direction. With your setup, you should have no problem.

When you give it full throtle, it should push quite a bit....I dont know what but something is up. Hell take lots of pictures and post them maybe someone will notice something???
Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
chippedprop

Geeter
Did you go thru the helpful hints I posted?

Post # 862

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.