Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Anyone ever thinking of READING the Owners Manual for the gas/oil mix????
Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No stoping this now...oil and people are coming out of the woodwork!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Hey Whistlingdeath and Eagleburger - I have the same issues as you guys - I see new threads asking the questions and thingk ''Oh no - not another one'' - but i look anyway. Luckily I can't eat chocolate
It's like watching a train wreck, it is gut wrenching but you just can't turn away.

JNorton is right, the search actually does work. Not perfect but better than some.

Did Newton contemplate ''RC'' universe? Yikes I don't eve think he could wrap his big brain around that one.

Believe me if I could start my own forum on oil I would. That might be a good resource for people who are seeking knowledge about oil mixtures. BUT all in all it is simple as dirt because as stated earlier in the thread they are just glorified chain saw or weed eater engines. They may be ported different and modified a bit but if you use good oil at the oil manufacturers recommended ratio you will be OK.

I was with you, Blake, until you said to use GOOD OIL. To me, any oil that meets the manufacturer's specifications IS a good oil. Agreed?

Ed Cregger
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

"The way I see it, all synthetic oils are the same"

WHACK!

"Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!!"

Old 10-26-2010, 07:13 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

I use a special break in formula containing 90% pure synthetic soybean oil, and 10% methanol.... the engine doesn't run well, but it is sure is oily.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 AM
rcplanenut
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: THERCAV8R

But what do you do when the owners manual for the oil conflicts with the owners manual for the engine? It seems like a lot of people like to complain about other people asking questions. So, is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read and reply to these posts. If you are sick of these posts then simply don't read them! If RCU would improve there search feature then this could also be avoided. If people would stop making useless replies then it would be easier to get the info out of the exsisting threads, but that will never happen so here is just one more useless post.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: rcplanenut

ORIGINAL: THERCAV8R

But what do you do when the owners manual for the oil conflicts with the owners manual for the engine? It seems like a lot of people like to complain about other people asking questions. So, is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read and reply to these posts. If you are sick of these posts then simply don't read them! If RCU would improve there search feature then this could also be avoided. If people would stop making useless replies then it would be easier to get the info out of the exsisting threads, but that will never happen so here is just one more useless post.

I get a little full of folks that think that RCU forums are their own personal encyclopedias and how dare the rest of the world intrude with banter and other conversations.

The previously mentioned types of folks seem to miss the point that RCU is a hobby home for many, many readers in the world. It is where they go to discuss their hobby with their online friends. It is NOT a place where they report to go to work just to meet someone's expectations as far as contributing only knowledge for those building an encyclopedia.

The best way to get known by others is to either ask a question, or to comment on someone elses question. That's it!

Ed Cregger
Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they don't like the RCU search feature, there are others that could be used. If you type "oil ratio" in Google you can find all kinds of stuff. All you have to do is look. It seems that some really think the only pertinent RC information can be found on RCU. Then again, I believe some fail to think at all.

Worst part is quite a few have read a faqir amount of the information at least nce but have some desire to engage in oil debates without any first hand information or experience. They will argue until the cows come home about some mystcal product they heard about from the friend of a friend, who heard it from some distant cousin of an aunt's grandmother. Worse, they'll quote advertising as being the gospel truth. Gullibility runs rampant in our society anymore.

I'm with you Ed. Nobody pays for my time or experience in any of the forums but some can get mighty angry if I don't jump to the snap of their fingers. The ones that really kill me are the ones with DA and 3w engines when they are asking how to tune or set up their engines. Both companies have manuals online if the owner doesn't have a manual. All they need to do is open one up and read it. Same applies with ignitions when they ask if they can use a lipo or other battery type and voltage. Once again they didn't read the instructions but expect someone to drop everything and feed them what they want to know.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

For the Search-less folks on the board.

click this link

http://www.google.com/search?q=oil+r...rcuniverse.com
Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

There is also this if you haven't seen it. [link=http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oil+ratio]Oil ratio search.[/link]
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did Newton have a wife with a rather LARGE set of honkers when he came up the the ''gravity theory''?

Thanks, I just spit coffee all over the monitor... [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s2.gif[/img] [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s2.gif[/img] [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s2.gif[/img]

they do certainly get drawn closer to the moon,so,maybe. [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s2.gif[/img]

<hr />This one above takes the big smile award...I am still have a ear to ear smile!!!!!!!!!<hr />
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Did Newton have a wife with a rather LARGE set of honkers when he came up the the ''gravity theory''?

Thanks, I just spit coffee all over the monitor... [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]

they do certainly get drawn closer to the moon,so,maybe. [img][/img]

<hr />This one above takes the big smile award...I am still have a ear to ear smile!!!!!!!!!<hr />

And, each other. (smile)

Ed Cregger
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM
phippsj
My Feedback: (15)

Guys, do a search. It is REAL easy and it works great.
This topic has been KILLED every week for YEARS.
USE the SEARCH OPTION!
It's called search for a reason.
Search is really good for you try it.
Search, it's the new search.
One search a day keeps the oil monsters away.
When contemplating the universe, Newton didn't ask, he searched.
Why don't you search for a new life. Jeez.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM
daisy shoot

Please stop starting threads about "stop starting threads about...."
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Why are there not lengthy threads about cheap oil like there is about cheap engines? Everyone is as proud of their $50/gal oil purchase as they are of their DA clones. I will be the first to share my dirty little secret. I found a case of Citgo JASO FD for $6/gal and have been using it successfully in everything for the last six years. Oh the shame that I would endure if someone found out.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: summerwind

i'm still wondering why there isn't a thread on mixing oil/gas by weight.........that one doesn't come up.
You must be an engineer.

They are the only ones that can't read the label on a bottle or look at the graduation lines on a mixing cup. I work with a bunch that used to mix gas and oil by weight. After a couple years pulling my hair our everytime they hauled out the scale the problem resolved itself when the battey died and nobody had a spare. They were a long ways from anywhere and all they had left was reading the lable on the oil bottle and estimating the amount of gas in the can right after putting 5 gallons in it at the gas station......

But hey, if that what fluffs your skirt, feel free. I sure as heck won't try and stop anyone from going that route.

As for RCU having a crappy search engine...I agree. However. RCU IS NOT the Universe where RC is concerned. There just happen to be a couple of other forums devoted to giant scale. Where gas engines are the norm rather than something new. In one of them there is enough experience accumulated with the modeling population where the need for an oil and ratio question isn't needed. I spend a lot of time there these days.
I have read a wagon full of your posts and many of them were like little jewels of learning that I have found useful and factual. Your comment about engineers is not one of them - it says something, not sure what just yet, about the author of the post. Adding things together by weight has very sound chemistry rationale. I am not saying they were doing it for the right reason just saying the more you know about chemistry the more reasons there may be to mix by weight. I use a Ratio Rite, but hey, I am just doing what others have figured out that works rather than me trying to figure out what works.

Howard
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Tired Old Man

I have found that a great many engineers are quite fallible. The only place they are infallible is in admitting it. In failing to admit, they perpetuate a great many errors that end up costing lives and money. For lack of a better term, arrogance is their primary fault. They are correct and perfect in every way. Want to verify that? Just ask them if they could be in error.

Had I not seen and experienced this on a continuous and daily basis I would not be so critical of engineers. I might actually trust their determinations as factual because they were engneers. There are good ones and bad ones, and I've encountered more of the bad than the good. My job is generated by the need to correct their mistakes.

Since you never replied in either the affirmative or the negative about my quip about being an engineer, I'll accept your silence of response as being an affirmation.

As for mixing by weight; yes, it is sound chemical rationale, but requires the possession of more accurate and reliable equipment than many have. The bottle and a measured gallon of gas works just fine.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

If all the "oil" threads stop - how am I going to fill the void for "things that make me laugh". I need a good laugh everyday and I can always get one when reading the comments about which/how much/don't use that one/works for me/my % is/etc....please don't stop these threads. What would the internet be if only facts and truth were stated? Boring and not funny I say.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

TOM,

I failed to add in my previous post that I moved from glow to gas about a year ago and that I started a written log (cut and paste) of helpful and useful information available on the forums and a lot of the individual pearls of wisdom came from you I should have said thanks, cause it has really been helpful. An example would be to be sure that the plug cap is pushed on hard and covers almost all of the bottom of the plug hex or be prepared for radio issues or to use drops of solder on the ends of the copper fuel tubing so that when you push the fuel line on you can use a cable tie behind the drop of solder to prevent it from falling off. Please keep the free flow headed our way and a sincere thanks.

Howard
Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Tired Old Man

No worries buddy. I'm just in another joust with another group of engineers that are caught up in their errors, scrambling to find a way to blame someone else for them. Basically the usual state of affairs....

I must say the condition impacts my overall outlook about things periodically.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

What kind of oil should I use in my Jeep?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Cobra1

... What would the internet be if only facts and truth were stated? Boring and not funny I say.

You would still have Wikipedia

Regards, Richard
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: phippsj

Guys, do a search. It is REAL easy and it works great.
This topic has been KILLED every week for YEARS.
USE the SEARCH OPTION!
It's called search for a reason.
Search is really good for you try it.
Search, it's the new search.
One search a day keeps the oil monsters away.
When contemplating the universe, Newton didn't ask, he searched.
Why don't you search for a new life. Jeez.
I know you are a noob but surely you can do better than that.
Oh and there is a new fad going around called a sense of humor, check it out.
If you use the search you find one of those too.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

What kind of oil should I use in my Jeep?
You should be able to use anything from Afro-sheen to Crisco in a Jeep.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I'll bet that at least 90% of the people here who have used the search function would say it leaves a lot to be desired. Couple that with the fact that it is very cold and impersonal, and you get folks asking questions to which they could find the answer if they wished to fool with the search function for an hour or two. Asking questions, even questions that have been asked hundreds of times, gets you in touch with other folks who share the same hobby. It might even lead into an informative and entertaining conversation in which anyone who feels moved to can jump in. What's wrong with that? If you have no interest in the thread, or are irritated by it, just move on past it.

Would anyone like to bet on what the percentages would be if someone started a poll on the merits of the RCU search engine? And don't get me wrong, I am devoted to RCU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.