Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

H9 Extra 330L engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Scott S.
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Extra 330L engine

Well I'm finally getting around to putting together my first 33% bird. Now I know this is the old technology as compared to the new H9 ARFs, but the price was too good to pass up. Anyway I'm trying to decide what engine to go with. Since I'm not into hovering or flying 3D, I don't need to grossly overpower this plane. I was leaning towards a ZDZ80, but there are some other engines I would like everyone's opinion on.

1. 3W70 or 75....can't remember which
2. Brison 5.8
3. Fuji 86
4. Zenoah GT-80
5. Mac Minarelli 85cc

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:32 PM
barryb-RCU

Default RE: H9 Extra 330L engine

Of the engines you've listed, my personal preference would be the ZDZ. However, it's very light and you may have balance
problems.
THe Brison 5.8 runs great, but all sachs-based 5.8 singles shake like crazy so I'd personally avoid it. The Brison 6.4 twin is
a mighty nice motor if you want to go Brison.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:33 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Scott

The ZDZ-80 single is a real powerhouse. You will have to be careful with servo placement as this engine is very light and the CG could be a problem. The Mac 85 is a good choice, a bit heavy, but runs very well and smooth. As far as I am aware there is no longer any support here in the US for the Mac. I have recently bought a 125 Mac and was very lucky to even get mufflers for it.

The GT-80 is also a good choice, similar to the Mac for power and smoothness. The Zenoah's are easy to get, well supported and have a great reputation. I prefer the GT-80, it is priced right and lasts a lot longer than many other types. What I do with mine is to loose the spring starter, change the ignition to a CH unit and run either lightweight mufflers or canisters. These engines keep running and running well. Even stock, these engines are great performers, user friendly and easy to install. Stock they include everything except a prop and spinner.

I am flying my GP330L with one of the GT-80's, without spring starter and CH ignition unit. The mufflers have been gutted and the seams rewelded. Awesome combo spinning a Bambula 26x8.

The Fuji has very mixed results judging from the comments on this forum.

I would not go with a single though, the twins are so much smoother.

Safe Flying!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

I had a H-9 330S with a ZDZ 80 Perfect match. You will not be disapointed going with a zdz-80 on that plane.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I have put together 3 of the H9 33% planes. ZDZ-80 is the ONLY way to go. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by right now.

The other good option for a single is the 3W-75i (not the US) it has about the same power as the ZDZ but is heavier which will help balance.

Stay away from the Brison / Sachs unless you want to be re-glueing stuff all the time.. they shake beyond belief.
I'd avoid the twins too, heavier than you really need.

The planes I built all had ZDZ-80s, and weighed between 20-22 pounds each. With 40+ pounds of thrust they are absolute monsters.

I put everything as far forward as possible - batteries and throttle servo on engine box in cowl, pull-pull servo forward of wing tube, fuel tank on plywood removable cradle that sits over the pull-pull servo.

It can be done!

DP
Old 03-17-2005, 01:36 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

We have the Extra and Sukhoi both with FPE 5.8 (95CC} Its a great engine foe the extra with a menz 26x10 prop. The dont shake much at all.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:41 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Hanger 9 Extra FPE 5.8
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40141.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	245291  
Old 03-17-2005, 04:17 PM
TD1

How about the BME 110 Extreme, I see they are becoming more popular in this size airframe.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Scott S.

The BME Extreme is way too much power for my flying style. If I was going to hover that would be the only way to go.

I would really like to go with a twin, and have been intrigued by the Zenoah GT-80 and Brison/Fox 4.8. Based on the weight of the airframe I'm think I will need weight up front anyway.

A couple of guys in my club have the ZDZ 80 and absolutely love them. The only down side I've heard is (1) weight (2) Showcase's service isn't very good. However they are absolute studs in the power category.

Really the biggest challenge I have is getting a engine that can make my club's sound policy. I need to be under 101db average from 9' away from each wing tip and front and rear of the plane.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:37 AM
TD1

Scott S.

There is no such thing as too much power! you can always do some power management with the throttle. I have been doing some research on this motor because I am thinking in buy one, I don't think you will have problems balancing the plane with the 110 if you do some planning, like battery up front, and servo placement.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:28 PM
VinceL

Scott,

With the discount that you have available to you the 80 twin might be the way to go. I would investigate if it will fit in the cowl without having to split it. It may also have issues with clearance for the plugs in standard configuration. I know it can be adapted for miniature spark plugs though. I have no doubt it will pass the sound check with decent prop and muffler combo.

The ZDZ 80 is a winner if you can get one. It is a no brainer installation that will jerk that thing around with style. I would work on trying to pry one out of a clubmates hands that isn't using his.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Cuzlikedam
My Feedback: (22)

the plugs on a zdz 80 twin will stick out of the cowl but it doesn't look that bad. no need to split the cowl just make some small holes on each side for the plug caps. David
Old 03-26-2005, 08:14 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

I had the opportunity to maided this plane for a friend with a brand new ZDZ-80 single last year. If I were to consider this plane the ZDZ would be my choice hands down. The plane with this combo is very light and gonzo on power. Its a great combination...
Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Cuzlikedam

did you have to add any weight up front with the single or did you move batteries around? there is a lot on rcu forums about the zdz single and this plane what about the zdz 80 twin? any info would be great. thansk David
Old 03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Cuzlikedam

one question? what size standoffs do you need if any for the zdz 80 single for h9 330L... wanted a twin buy single is more power and cheap.... why not? any help would be great... thanks David
Old 03-26-2005, 12:14 PM
lortap1969

If it's set up for a GT80 like the hanger 9 edge, go to Chief Aircraft: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...H9Edge540.html

look for adapter: CA ZDZ ADPT

It will use factory bold holes and should align the engine proper, again if it was set up for the GT 80
Old 03-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I had a H9 Cap with ZDZ-80 single. It balanced best for sequence flying with a single rudder servo (Hitec 5375) on pull-pull cables. I also flew it for a hundred or so flights with 2 rudder servos in the tail. In either case, I just moved the batteries around to suit CG. The plane weighed 23.5 lbs.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Coke

I've got a H9 330S with ZDZ 80 single its an ideal combination light as a feather loads of power have added carbon gear and tube from Troy Built to save even more weight. To get CG without ballast put rudder on one Hitec 5735 digital on pull pull just behind the wing tube, ignition nicads under the cowl.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
patternflyer1

Hey Coke

Did you mount the rudder servo up front when you first built it or did you mount them in the tail first and find out it was to tail heavy?
If so, how tail heavy was it? Is it bearable or no? I fly Airtronics and don't want to put a Hitec in it. Not that there is anything wrong with Hitec because there isn't at all. Also what kind of kill switch did you use with the zdz? Did you use a choke servo? Also did you mount the throttle servo and choke (if used) up front? I know this is alot of q's but I inherited this plane unfinished and motor when my brother passed recently and I don't know anything about gas planes. Or anything bigger than a 2 meter pattern ship. Any help would be appreciated because I'm really looking forward to learning this bigger gas craze....
Thanks in advance....

Chris
Old 03-31-2005, 03:01 AM
excaliber

Most big singles have some shake at low R's but usually smooth out from mid range to full unless there is something out of balance. maybe its the way some people balance?? props. If it is on ignition the timing could be off a little. the only singles that don't shake are electric
Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Cuzlikedam

SLINGSHOT-RCU,

i think i may go with the fpe 5.8... i have some questions.... what muffler is that you have and where can i find one? also what size spacers are you use'in? also how well does the plane balance? thanks David
Old 04-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

Consider the 3W 85 twin, it will fit in the cowl and give you plenty of weight and power. I had a 3W 78(the earlier version of the 85) in mine I flew it forever, not too loud even with smoke mufflers, which by the way also fit in the cowl.
Tom
Old 04-05-2005, 11:56 PM
lyndon915
My Feedback: (1)

OK I have this same Hanger 9 Extra 330L with a new ZDZ 80 single that I just flew for the first time last sunday. The engine has plenty of power even though I did not use much of it because I am still in breakin. As far as balancing goes. I moved to a singe JR 8611 for the rudder on pull-pull. Also have 8611 on all other surfaces. I used Fromeco Lion packs, two 2400's for the plane and one for the ignition. I placed the reciever batteries under the wingtube and the fuel tank directly on top of the wing tube. The ignition battery and regulator as well as the throttle and choke servo's are in the motor box. At this point I moved the rudder servo around in the fuse to find the place where the plane balanced. This ended up being about 1 inch behing the rearward set of anti-rotation pins. Anyway the plane balanced perfectly and is about 24 lbs and flies great. Good luck with yours.
ps. the ZDZ is the only way to go. much lighter and much more power.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 AM
patternflyer1

Thanks for the reply Lyndon. I already have my tail servo's and linkages hooked up. Dang. I also mounted my ignition to the side of the motor box. My throttle is on top of the motor box. My choke is inside the motor box. My Ignition duralite pack is on the side of the motor box. I mounted the tank in front of the tube. I have yet to purchase my aileron servos and also my reciever battery of batteries (not sure on this yet). I also think I'm gonna need to purchase a few smartfly equalizers to gang my aileron and rudder servo's.. This is my first gasser obviously, and man, these things are super confusing compared to a 2 meter pattern plane. Thanks for the reply. I hope I can get it to balance with the servo's in the tail, or I'll be moving them forward I guess..
Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Scott S.

Well I think I'm definitely going to go with the ZDZ as well on the H9 330L. However I'm going to be using the new Hitec Titanium servos in the wings and Hitec 5945MG everywhere else. I'm guessing the plane should balance out with the ZDZ if I carefully position everything.

What did you guys do with the floating tail tube. I've heard these have a tendency to fail as well. I think I'm going to take the "float" out of it and ProBond it into place so it fits equally into each stab.

The other modification I thinking about making is running two bolts into the root of the wing from the inside of the fuse instead of using the set screw into the wing tube from the top of the wing. Anyone done this yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.