RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Milton,

My first radio was an EK Logictrol, so I've been flying R/C for a long time. In the 30+ years I've been doing this I've yet to see a new product, any product, come to market when promised. Most recently I was promised Airtronics was "within weeks" of releasing the SD-10G for 2 years before it finally was available for purchase. I've waited over a year for an ARF P-51 kit that was advertised in a magazine and orders were taken. I've never, ever seen a new product released on time in this hobby industry. It's standard practice, you do it too. Get over it, stop the innuendo.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 AM
fhm101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@@CAUTION@@

**soapbox deployment in progress**

Fairly new to flying, but I've been around r/c race cars for what seemed like forever before I got tired of the ever escalating drama from people who for some reason forgot this is supposed to be fun and decided satisfaction in life hinged on being #1 in a contest where grown men ran toy cars around a pile of dirt for bowling trophies.

I moved to airplanes because everyone I've met (so far) has had a good attitude toward their hobby/passion/craft, and seem to find enjoyment in most any aspect of flying model planes. But mostly it was the most drama free segment of the r/c market I've seen so far.

In my time in r/c car racing I never saw a single new release hit as promised. It was a running joke when those who couldn't exist without the latest and greatest would ask several times a day "When is the SuperGung XP467-C going to hit?" and the stock answer was "2 weeks, MuckiduDoCon promised it would hit in 2 weeks". I've seen new chassis designs go through years of testing with a promise every other month or so to expect a release date any day now.

And to you folks "in the industry", making your living on r/c flight or at least trying to pay for your addiciton, take it from someone who put in more than a few years on a different boat in the same water, it's rarely what you think it will be and it's NEVER what you want it be. If you are dealing with any offshore manufacturer it helps to be from Missouri, or at least live by their philosophy of "Show me" before you buy in to their program. If you take any other tack with our friends overseas, you are setting yourself up to fail. That's not to say you can't form a wonderful, profitable relationship with them, but it takes work, patience, and the ability to not hold a grudge when things don't go your way. As for having your feelings hurt because you are not getting what you think you were promised, get back to me after you've sunk over 20K of your own money and 2 solid years of your life into developing a completely new product for a major manufacturer, only to have them cut you out of the loop "2 weeks" prior to the release of their brand spanking new product line. In fairness, it was a change in company ownership and not a personal thing that gave me a very hard lesson in personal trust and "always get it in writing" where potentially serious money is involved, but I've seen plenty of similar lessons in this industry handed out for the same reason a dog licks it's privates so it pays to do your CYA up front. It may not keep you from taking one for the team, but it most certainly saves a passle of sour grapes, second guessing, and damaged egos on the back end.

**soapbox returned to the stowed and locked position**
Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

Milton,

My first radio was an EK Logictrol, so I've been flying R/C for a long time. In the 30+ years I've been doing this I've yet to see a new product, any product, come to market when promised. Most recently I was promised Airtronics was ''within weeks'' of releasing the SD-10G for 2 years before it finally was available for purchase. I've waited over a year for an ARF P-51 kit that was advertised in a magazine and orders were taken. I've never, ever seen a new product released on time in this hobby industry. It's standard practice, you do it too. Get over it, stop the innuendo.
My first radio was also a EK Logictrol, Bought it used for $65.00

It had two sticks four movements and four trims, That was it other than having push pull on the servos, Those and the heath kits were about the best you could get back then.

But I really do not understand your post. ????
Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
MTK

[quote]ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

My first radio was also a EK Logictrol, Bought it used for $65.00

It had two sticks four movements and four trims, That was it other than having push pull on the servos, Those and the heath kits were about the best you could get back then.

But I really do not understand your post. ????
I started to follow the YDA Engines thread around May or so. I am looking for a lightweight 38-42cc engine for a special application that demands lightness and strength/torque in mid range. The discussions offered some clues that a 38cc with the exact attributes I was looking for would be coming soon, in June. That did not materialize. Hopefully it will in September as has been suggested by Piston. Great...hope it happens.

It seems to me that the thread lately has taken a tone that other threads of this type took when dates were missed and apparent promises made that did not materialize: a bit snippy. My attitude is "wait and see". If it happens, great...Hopefully the 38cc will have the power curve I want and will fit my geometry properly. If not, then I've lost virtually nothing other than the time to follow the thread. In fact I probably have gained quite a bit in laughs...I've found the hyperbole quite amusing at times.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
BadAzzMaxx

From the last few post here, it seems some people are upset or don’t understand what I am posting and trying to make people aware off.

This will be my last post in this thread, I will take all my future comments on this to the thread I started about this matter here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9922775/tm.htm

Thanks
Milton Thompson
Old 08-15-2010, 02:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Milton is THE sponser
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Statement to explain a few things to you all
Steve first came to me with the idea of me taking over his entire engine business early this year due to some personal reasons of his. At that time, I instigated talks with Kevin at JC regarding manufacturing of some items at his factory as his main business is in fact a machine shop.

Not long after that, it seems that Kevin started letting his other dealers of what was coming down the road.

At the same time, we did a couple of small tests just to see if our suspicions about “the innovation by others†were right
1 – we announced the 32cc – a week after we did that, one of our previous suppliers also announced they would produce a 32cc. (it took them from then until now to buy the parts to make theirs and it is only an “off the shelf design†that anyone with limited ability on engine design can assemble)
2 – We announced the 23cc and the 38cc – Milton has already shown us that within a couple of weeks of us doing that, Kevin started asking other distributors around the world about similar sizes and what the likely market was. A couple of those distributors were “in the know†and fed the information back to us about what he was speaking with them about.

Is it any wonder that Steve refused to publish detailed information on the engines? There are still certain details that we will be adding here and those items will only be included on the YD Aero engines (hence the need to delineate the two brand names).

Anyone can make an engine, All it takes is a few pieces of metal, formed to the right sizes and a couple of other bits and pieces like an ignition and carb and it will run.

To design, test, assemble, and properly support an engine that performs in the correct envelope for its intended purpose is another thing altogether. We know that there will be some differences between the engines we sell at YD Aero and the ones that are just “shipped and soldâ€. Yes, the basic forming of metal and finish sizing of it is being done by JC – the bits that make those parts work properly – that is the Value that WE add.

Having been badly burnt by another company with regard to copying etc – We were not stupid enough to make the same mistakes again.

Anyone who flies at the same fields as Steve and his sons fly at have seen the prototypes developed by Steve flying, many of those have also been given flown the engines themselves. There are videos of them flying that have been posted.

Prototypes are just that – prototypes. They start out in proof of concept and are a collection of cobbled together parts that are made and modified as required to achieve certain results. Eventually a final product is hand-made as a proof of product followed by a very small sample run of actual production processes used to make the production model. That is where Steve left off when he handed the products to me. He has retained those samples for his own pleasure to fly into his old age until his senility takes over to the point where he can no longer remember which way to flip the propeller to start it .
Meanwhile – for those who are more interested in having a support forum instead of feeding their aged and dented egos – please continue to post and I will do my best to stop you getting hit by the “back arrowsâ€

Henry
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Tseres

I have read the other thread. By all accounts Milton seems to be a good guy. Some people that I know, respect and trust, have stood up for him. That is good enough for me.
Something is going on that I don't understand or care to be in the middle of.
I'll just say this. I have been dealing with Henry for almost two years now and in that time he has always treated me right. That is important to me and that is what I have to go on. The rest is not for me to be a part of.

The only threads that I have been involved in with bickering in them is the engine threads. I personally wish this would change. Its a big world and there is enough pasture for everyones horses.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Piston

Hey Tom

Agreed.....
If you ever want to sell your Thunderbolt... let me know....lol... I still think about that plane. I really want to see it fly in person.
For all those that missed Tom's posting of the plane.. here it is again.

The picture does NOT do the builder (Tom) credit. His detail to attention is awesome. (This pic is set as my screen saver!!).

Cheers
Henry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49606.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	1484704  
Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Your right Piston.....Tom's P-47 is one sweet looking plane. I don't post too much more on these forums because it always sems like I post something that upsets people. But after reading your last post I had to chime in. Back in the late 80's and early 90's I worked for Mile High Racing and we raced the World of Outlaws Sprint Series. It was mostly just me and the Owner/Driver and we ran almost all of the shows. We travled around 100,000 to 120,000 miles a year for the races. We were very low budget and conserved anywhere possible. We started to use the local engine builders to build our race motors. This hurt us some what. The quality just wasn't there. The engine builders that assembled the engines just didn't have the know how to build an engine that could handle the RPM's and load that we would put on them in a national series of racing. The engine were VERY good if you raced on a local level. We raced 4 to 5 nights a week and that is really hard on motors. The prosess of desiging, building , and supporting what you are doing is not lost on me. I wish the best for you and I know that your support is top notch. I have even talked to you on the phone a couple of times. I even have a JC 28cc v1 that I didn't purchase from you.

When we tried the less expensive motors (25,000 price tag) they just didn't have the performance or reliability to keep us on the road. The engines that we ended up using were from the main engine builders for most of the Outlaw guy's. These were in the 35,000 to 45,000 range. I will gladly wait for the better product than what comes out of China. I work in computers now, and will never purchace the cheapest product out there, costs more in the long run and it all comes from China. Anyone can copy a design, but if the company doesn't stand behind there product WE all lose.

Build the best product that you cam and support it 110% and you will succeed.

Thanks for staying in there.

Ben
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Tseres

Hey did you guys see my other plane.

Building season is upon us shortly. I would be willing to part with these two planes.
The W/H could be had reasonable. Need a new plane for next years Fly In. But the P -47 could only be had for Stupid Money.

Name:	Vt58040.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1484800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1484801  
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
RedwingRC

Well put JZ. Henry does stand behind his stuff and does have a lot of input into what he's offering. The rest is semantics.

Henry, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve when it's time. I also might need another batch of the JC's soon! People are loving them in the area here.

Oh, ps, I have photos of the Green version of the MX2 online now for those interested http://www.redwingrc.com/planes/mx2.html

Name:	wu61032.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1484802  
Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Beautiful plane Redwing. Checked out your site and all I can say is I really love that "Green Scream" I mean "green version". The prices are way good too.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 AM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

Flight report for the 112 running higher head temps

Yesterday we headed to the field for a afternoon of flying. The first flight was just a typical warm up style flight nothing crazy. I did some low level passes and to hear how the engine was performing with the higher head temps. I definantly noticed a performance increase and the motor showed no signs of quiting. On the next flight I starting playing with harriers, hovering and some rollers which were mixed in with some IMAC style flying. The motor once again perform flawlessly so on the third flight was when I started to really have some fun. The whole flight was 3D based. I put the motor through tumbles, long extended idle flat spins, walls, paracutes-elevators into harriers on the deck, knife edge death slides, knife edge snap back to knife edge... I think everyone gets the point lol. I really cant say enough about these engines. It does everything I ask it to do and it never complains. More to come....

Tom
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Tseres

The Fed Ex guy came and visited today and look what he left on my porch.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

The plane came double boxed and everything looks in great shape. The Hardware package is out of this world. I compare the quality to my Aero Works Extra and it's right there with it.
Now I have to put it all on the bench and get back to what I have to do then later on I'll get to doing what I like to do. Looks like no TV tonight .[sm=49_49.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Name:	Vt57952.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1485139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39456.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1485140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24683.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1485141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18885.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1485142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82082.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1485143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66715.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1485144  
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Looks nice Tom! I guess I like the orange after all. It looked odd in pictures, but I like what I see.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tseres

The plane came double boxed and everything looks in great shape. The Hardware package is out of this world. I compare the quality to my Aero Works Extra and it's right there with it.
Now I have to put it all on the bench and get back to what I have to do then later on I'll get to doing what I like to do. Looks like no TV tonight .[sm=49_49.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Hi Tom,

This has to be one of the nicest Sbachs I have seen! Congratulations!
With your usual workmanship, she whould be a stunner!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
BadAzzMaxx

I really like the green one that the picture was posted off, Really stands out and looks different.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

Piston , ....................... are you still out there ?

Michel
Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
RedwingRC

Hey Tom!  Thanks for posting pics! 

let me know if you need any help since the vid isn't up yet.  It's a pretty straight forward build for someone with your experience but call me if you need it

Old 08-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Tseres

Thanks Tim for the offer to help. It is pretty straight forward.
I'm thinking about doing a build thread. I'll let you guys know if I do.I need to figure out how to start one. I never started a thread before. If someone wants to tell me how I'm all ears.
Of course the engine mounting part would be in both threads.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 PM
RedwingRC

I think you'd just start it with your header, in the appropriate category... like in 3d planes... "Redwing 30cc Sbach Build Thread"
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Tseres

OK. I think I got it figured out.
Here is the link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9938271
Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

PISTON...........i just received my second jc 28. it is diferent from my first one in that it has that integrated choke throttle thingy that i dislike very much. my first 28 had what i call a normal walboro. can i swap you for the regular walbro......or can i buy that carb from you......or can you direct me to where i might buy that carb ? send email if you like to [email protected] thank you !
Old 08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: laryboy

PISTON...........i just received my second jc 28. it is different from my first one in that it has that integrated choke throttle thingy that i dislike very much. my first 28 had what i call a normal walbro. can i swap you for the regular walbro......or can i buy that carb from you......or can you direct me to where i might buy that carb ? send email if you like to [email protected] thank you !
Piston

I,m also interested in this , please E-mail me with the info if possible

Michel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.