Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:43 PM
ten pillows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Thanks Wayne, I am a building machine now. It's all light for me at the end of the tunnel!

Mike
Old 03-07-2005, 11:50 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Just for the record,

I talked to roughly seven guys today who are building their Yak's now.
Some knew about the reported problem and some didnt.
Out of those seven, only one (bosshoss) has the problem. Doesnt make it any better but, its a small percentage as far as I can tell.

JAVANT (person who posted the problem first) is a really good friend of mine who called me yesterday and told me about it.
All I kept saying was that "I hate to hear it but, Chris will take care of you."

Anyone who has the problem and wants a Yak to fly in the meantime, can come to Bloomington and have at it with my plane.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Absolut Yak

I've been lurking mostly, but I've read virtually every post since this started in December. I have my plane still boxed and in my attic. I bought servos and extensions this weekend, so I can make progress. I get "paid" the DA-50 when my wife's kitchen gets completed. So, I haven't done anything but unpack the plane, make the proper slurping sounds from sucking up my drool, then put the plane back.

I see only one clear choice if my stab/wing tubes don't line up. Build it and fly it. Chris hasn't insisted on returning the fuse. So, if you don't build and fly, you wait. Now how is waiting better than flying? If you do build and fly, it MIGHT be subtley noticeable by the very best pilots amongst us. The rest of us get to fly something which promises to be better than anything we've ever flown before, no matter how TRUE the prior planes were built. The only penalty to building and flying the plane AS-IS will be the time spent on the fuse, and a little glue. It doesn't cost any more to build, fly, remove and reinstall components in a new fuse. You get a practice fuse to build and fly while you wait for the fix.

As far as elevator movement causing a yaw moment, maybe that's the magical trick to rolling harriers. I'd bet nickels to dollars that P-factor and gyroscopic precession have a much larger impact than a 1 - 2 degree stab/elevator misalignment. I'm also sure the pilots who are good enough to differentiate these individual factors are the same excellent pilots who make even crappy planes look great, simply because they know how to fly. Run what you brung! Live, and let live. Fly, and let fly.

Bottom line: This is a HOBBY. It is meant to be FUN! Build, Fly, Grin! Then come back and B.S. about it on this thread. And send pictures.

Doug
Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Den B

Hey I just checked mine and I have enough play in the stab tube to make it look like it's way off
with the stabs off.
I used a level on the wing tube to Trammel the fuse then checked the stab tube , I can make it look bad
in either direction.
This tells me that a shim and a little opening of the hold down bolt holes will get me right on NO? not a big deal in my book.
I did measure for square all over the plane and no matter where I check it's not more than 1/16 anywhere
on the plane.
Wayne, Brain is who turned me onto this plane last summer looking forward to meeting up with you this season I just wish I could fly like yous guys.

Den
Old 03-08-2005, 12:30 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Den B

Wayne, Brain is who turned me onto this plane last summer looking forward to meeting up with you this season I just wish I could fly like yous guys.

Den

Brian Johnson?
Out of everyone who has flown my Yak his reaction was easily the best.

Its starts out with, "Yeah i'd like to fly it put some gas in it for me. I dont want one because I have enough small planes" (blah blah blah....)

I think the first thing he did was pull into a 45 degree upline knocks out a perfect positive snap and a half...
"Hmmmm" he says.. He then flies some more from last years Advanced sequence and is nailing everything.
"No way" Keeps coming from his mouth. "It flies as good as my 40% stuff for precision"
"Can I 3D it?"
"knock yourself out" I say.
He was giggling the whole time.

After that flight he say's "Get Chris on the phone. I have to have one!"
He was amazed.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Gotta_Fly
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Guess
I was just wondering and maybe this is a stupid question, But I have the same problem as most of you, but I have 40% and I this plane I was going to start in the IMAC world, so I kinda need mine as straight as I can, But like I said I'm not worried about it, But let me ask a dumb question, Lets say your back elevator tube is low on the right or what ever side you choose, Couldn't you take a dremal drill and make the hole on that side a little wider on the top therefor making the wing go up enough to be straight and after its in place you can use all kinds of means to keep it put, with Epoxy using Fiber mixed with it giving it some extra strength, But anyway I hope I made since, It just seems to me that if the tubes are straight the the fuse will give you a little more slack, will something like this work??? Just wondering guys and just trying to help...

Thanks

Randy
Old 03-08-2005, 02:48 AM
RREEL

Guys, I have a simple fix for those of you who have a strait fuse but the the stab is a liitle off. I have done this before on some of my 40%er's with great results. I will try to explain this the best I can and will post pictures later to help you better understand. No recoverering is required. first take a fine dremel bit and route all the way around the fixed stab tube on one side of the fuse, completely freeing it on one side only. Did I mention how easy this is? Next mix up some 30 min. epoxy with micro balloons or milled fiber to a THICK consistancy. Fill the gap you just routed out and make sure the inside of the tube is cleaned of any excess epoxy. Then insert the carbon tube and take some toothpicks or some other small shem material and stick it in between the the fuse and the fixed stab tube ( in the epoxy) where needed to adjust for a perfect alignment to the wing tube. Simply let the epoxy cure, remove carbon tube and carefully sand flush any excess. This whole process takes no time at all and will get you in the air quickly with perfect results. For those of you who who do not feel comfortable doing this or those with more serious problems, Fear Not. Chris will take of you ASAP! I will try to get detailed pics or video of this fix shortly. It really is very easy and takes less time than mounting the wheelpants. I hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:00 AM
RREEL

Hey Randy, How funny! By the time I finished typing my fix (im slow) I saw you had the same idea. It works just fine.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:29 AM
rcaviator-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

If someone in my area has one with a small amount of twist and wants to sell please email me. I would like to have another one and the fix is no big deal for me.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 07:07 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Wayne,

My guess is that the jig is perfect.

I spoke w/ a professional builder and machinist yesterday. He was building a 40% carden edge and aligned the wing and stab tube down to a gnat's *****. ie - it was perfect. He glued the top and bottom foam on the fuse and it somehow caused the fuse to twist.

Here is my guess, the tubes were glued in perfect and something after that caused the fuse to twist. My alignment is not perfect (but it's very close - like some of the pictures here) and I'm not going to do anything about it. The plane flies great and I won't change a thing. Have a look at these IMAC videos. The first three were all flown with my plane.

http://extremeflightyak.shutupandfly...mac_videos.htm

OK - I'm putting my flame suit on first. Rather than send the fuse back to Chris why don't you try to fix it with the technique RREEL is going to post. It sounds like an easy fix and IMO it will be a lot easier than sending the fuse back and getting another one (I assume Chris has a limited supply). What happens when the weather warms up and the fuse twists in the opposite direction.... I'm not saying it will, but who knows. I just checked my composite ARF 40% extra and it not 100% perfect. It's off by at least 1mm. My guess is it's very difficult to get the alignment perfect with such a light weight fuse. So flame away, but I think you guys should really consider RREEL's pictures / video. I appreciate that everyone spent a lot of money (me included) but even BMWs have problems from time to time....

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

I'm just curious if it can be traced back to a certain builder, or a certain day, or anything.
I may be talking out my ***** here but my guess is that there are a few jigs that are being used to build these planes.
One just happens to be off a tiny bit. As to why most slope right and a few slope left???.... I have no idea.
Maybe Chris can chime in to tell us a little more about the build process.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:11 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Bosshoss

I'll buy one of your planes if you don't want them.

ORIGINAL: rcaviator-RCU

If someone in my area has one with a small amount of twist and wants to sell please email me. I would like to have another one and the fix is no big deal for me.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

Guys, I have a simple fix for those of you who have a strait fuse but the the stab is a liitle off. I have done this before on some of my 40%er's with great results. I will try to explain this the best I can and will post pictures later to help you better understand. No recoverering is required. first take a fine dremel bit and route all the way around the fixed stab tube on one side of the fuse, completely freeing it on one side only. Did I mention how easy this is? Next mix up some 30 min. epoxy with micro balloons or milled fiber to a THICK consistancy. Fill the gap you just routed out and make sure the inside of the tube is cleaned of any excess epoxy. Then insert the carbon tube and take some toothpicks or some other small shem material and stick it in between the the fuse and the fixed stab tube ( in the epoxy) where needed to adjust for a perfect alignment to the wing tube. Simply let the epoxy cure, remove carbon tube and carefully sand flush any excess. This whole process takes no time at all and will get you in the air quickly with perfect results. For those of you who who do not feel comfortable doing this or those with more serious problems, Fear Not. Chris will take of you ASAP! I will try to get detailed pics or video of this fix shortly. It really is very easy and takes less time than mounting the wheelpants. I hope this helps.

OK, Just shimming the tube won't help! Think about it, if you raise the tube you also have to raise the anti-rotation hole and the mounting holes where the blind nuts are. All four holes need to be raised equally. I am thinking differently. I might take the covering off the bottom and soak the wood, re-glue and take the twist out the right way. Moving the holes leaves the twist there and just moves the stab around it.

It will be fine, but it will be an un-wanted pain. Keep in mind Chris may have another solution not already mentioned. I can assure you that no one is more p*ssed about this problem than him.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

moving the stab tube is not the fix. The fin is 90 degrees to the stab tube. If you move the stab tube to align it with the wing tube the fin will not be square to the stab.
I will wait to see what Chris is going to say before I try any fix.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Ricmussman

Dave763

moving the stab tube is not the fix. The fin is 90 degrees to the stab tube. If you move the stab tube to align it with the wing tube the fin will not be square to the stab.
I will wait to see what Chris is going to say before I try any fix.

I agree, I am especially interested in that because of all the graphics and covering work that I have in it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:44 AM
jrjohn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a silly little Idea that has a decent cchance of working. ( My brain works really good in the morning. However at night I can hardly tie my shoes.)

Take a spray bottle and mist the inside of the airplane. then secure it to your workbench. Water won't hurt the covering, and if you just mist it, you shouldn't harm the glue. Using your wingtube and stab tube put an opposite twist in the fus. with a makeshift jig. ie wook clamps ect. Over twist it slightly.(just a hair) Then reshrink your covering and either use a hairdryer on low heat, or let the thing dry on it's own. make sure it remains jiged and slightly over twisted the entire time. I'd let it sit for atleast a day either way.

just thought of the jig. Get two pipes, dowels or simular. extend your wingtube and stab tube with such. then add weight to opposite sides out at the end of the dowl. an old sock with sand will hang on it just fine. adjust your weight to get the right twist.

John
Old 03-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Just being Devil's Advocate here....

After spending 1400 bucks.....should I have to , make a jig, cut covering , dremel the stab tube, epoxy the anti rotataion pins, wet the fuse , twist the fuse, ...get my point???

Chris will make it right. period.

1 mm or 2mm...I couldn't see that with my eye. But mine are visibly twisted , so it is quite a bit more.

At any rate , I am content that it will be taken care of. I have enough problems flying a straight plane, let alone a bent one. I amy waffle after a bad day at the field, but i am in this hobby for the duration, and this is my Premium Treat to myself.

DJCCRN, if you want to fly a bent plane , go ahead, but when you snap it into the ground, and you eventually get your new fuse, that's all you will have left. I am not flying a bent one.
My luck, I will whack it.

I can wait, Summer is still months away.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:05 AM
jrjohn

Bosshoss, if you take a look at my post you'll see you may not have to cut covering, dremel holes ect. I used the word "JIG" only because it would help people understand the concept. all your doing is misting the inside of the plane and adding weight to oposite sides of the plane at the end of an extended wing and stab tube. It's worth the try isn't it?

John
Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 AM
wgeffon

Just my opinion but,... these fuse's are not twisted.
The tube is sitting at an angle.

Putting a twist in to cure the stab/wing tubes alignment is just going to create a twisted fuse and now your vertical fin would be off kilter.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:11 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Just my opinion but,... these fuse's are not twisted.
The tube is sitting at an angle.

Putting a twist in to cure the stab/wing tubes alignment is just going to create a twisted fuse and now your vertical fin would be off kilter.
One of the guys that tramed the fus said it was twisted. Wayne I knwo yours is Ok, but have you seen and inspected one of the bad ones?

John
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Ricmussman

JrJohn,

Take a spray bottle and mist the inside of the airplane. then secure it to your workbench. Water won't hurt the covering, and if you just mist it, you shouldn't harm the glue. Using your wingtube and stab tube put an opposite twist in the fus. with a makeshift jig. ie wook clamps ect. Over twist it slightly.(just a hair) Then reshrink your covering and either use a hairdryer on low heat, or let the thing dry on it's own. make sure it remains jiged and slightly over twisted the entire time. I'd let it sit for atleast a day either way.

I was thinking the same thing..... I might try this before cutting the coveing off.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:25 AM
jrjohn

Ric, Is your fus twisted, or is the stab tube cocked. I'm going to do some measurments today, actually I hope its a twist

John
Old 03-08-2005, 09:28 AM
jrjohn

There is some play in both tubes so I think you may have to over twist it more than just a hair, otherwise some of your allignment will be from and play and it will come right back.

John
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 AM
wgeffon

I have not seen one personally but in every pic that has been posted the fin looks to be square to the wing tube.
If you twist the fuse back the other way it wont be.

Just my .02
Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

I've got one that's leaning to the left. I think I agree with Wayne, the fuse isn't twisted. I've been trying to find why my stab incidences wouldn't work out, as I thought I had a twisted stab. What I did was tape up the stab/elevator so it wouldn't move. Set the fuse to 0 using the hatch area. Set the incidence of both stabs to 0 with the carbon rod not in the incidence holes in the fuse, but right next to the fuselage, using a stab jig I use for setting wing/tail tubes up in my composite pattern planes. Then I attached carbon rods to the elevators and ran them back to meet behind the rudder. They matched perfectly which tells me I don't have a twisted stab. The interesting part was when I looked at the relation to where my stabs are after jigging them to 0, to where the fuse holes are for setting the incidences, ( IF ) the stab tube hole plus the incidence hole on the left side of my fuse were both raised about 3/16-1/4" I wouldn't have the leaning problem nor would I have the incidence problem. The right side matched. Seems to me like the holes are cut wrong or something in that area on the left side of the fuse. Of course I could be wrong, in that case nevermind.

Correction: the incidence hole would have to be a touch higher than the stab tube, hmm, could be the carbon rod glued into the ribs, anyway the above would fix mine.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Ricmussman

I am not sure, it was late last night when I put the wings/stabs on but I do remeber thinking that the fin looked straight. Check my pic several posts ago. The fin definetly looks straight. I am at work (yeah right! can't stop thinking about YAK) now so I cant measure till later. My guess is Wayne is correct, and tube is just slanted. This will be a harder fix than taking a twist out of the fuse.

For the ARF's it is no big deal, you'll get a new one. Mine has an extra $200.00 in covering and Kirby Kustoms Graphics on it (3 rolls of ultracote @ $17.95, Pactra stiping 2 @ $5.79, Kirby Kustoms @ $140.00). Granted the Fuse has only $100.00, but I am not thrilled to do it again. So If I can fix it easily I'll try.

Still curious what Chris' response is. I am sure he has had some Chinease Rump Roast in the last few hours. He has got to be getting sick and tired of quality control issues. I am still confident that this will turn out good for all of us. Remeber this is the best plane in its class and it is still in its early stages of development. I am still glad that I have it and I will be flying it this season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.