Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

IMO, I say we just continue on with this thread. I don't see anythig wrong with ribbing each other, it keeps things fun and makes for good reading. Besides when all these planes get delivered to the first 20, the build talk is going to dominate the posts. If anyone wants to know anything about these airplanes all they have to do is ask and i'm sure all their inquries will be answered. I know that i'm going to have questions when mine arrives on the 1st boat.
Ditto.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the advantage of the the multiple power connections ot the Receiver from the Fromeco is the ticket. That current needs as much resistance free path to yhe servos as possible or the voltage drop could get dangerous. And depending on what receiver you use, a fluctuating voltage could cause the VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) to lose lock on it's frequency momentarily and phantom jitters set in.

Drew, you got it right, fighting voltage drop is the goal.

If the SmartFly could be modified for better output carrying (more leads, fatter wire), I would consider it. Can you get to the board connections on it?? I may just build my own, the components are cheap.

I have a source for 4000mah Lipo's 3 cell for 30 bucks. It would be perfect.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 PM
coche
My Feedback: (4)

Ughhh!!! always complainers! all of the complainers can keep out of here if they dont want to read bull sh.. (if they think its bull sh..)

Wayne I agree with your avatar!

Robert:

no body unser my custion that if we are going to need longer servo extentions for the elevators! since we all thought that they will be at the fuse!
You that have the yak, can you tell me how many inches is there from the stabs to where the Rx its going to be?
do you think a 36" servo extention will do it?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wings are all built-up, no foam. Root rib and second rib are lite ply. Then it alternates to balsa, lite ply, balsa, lite ply, balsa, lite ply. As best I can see, it is all balsa past that (which gets you past the end of the Phenolic tube). The Phenolic tube acts as the shear web for its full length. It is sandwiched between the two main spars. I can't see past the end of the tube. I have checked everything I could touch or poke on and inside the plane. I have not found ANYTHING that was not securely glued, yet I don't see excess glue anywhere. Again, the quality Chris has promised to deliver. I have no reason to doubt this plane will withstand everything you see done in the Video's.

In these pictures I hope I presented the requested view of the Elevator/stabilizer. I also tried to show how the P-P rudder arm is constructed and assembled. You can see the servo wheel goes between the two arms. The hole in the middle of the bottom arm is a snug fit around the heel of the servo wheel, so this gets things centered up. The rest of it stacks on top of the wheel and is all held together by 4 screws.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15379.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	210565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39284.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	210566  
Old 01-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Stratos

FYI

I just called DA to order the engine etc. and the 50s are out of stock and will
remain like that for as much as 2.5 weeks. It might be less than that but the official word
is 2.5 weeks.

I ordered the rest to make sure I have them before they run out too.
The pipes, Kevin said, they have plenty. But he had to look to make sure
they had the headers on stock. I don't know if that means they are running out
or what but I thought I'd let you guys know just in case you are interested in the same things.

My shopping list:

DA 50 b/o
KS 1060
question mark, zero drop, flex header
extra prop bolts
drill jig
MSC 23x8

I had good luck with the MSCs and Kevin said that that prop will be good
for break in and beyond so it was a no brainer for me.

Now if that boat sets sails (or something) and delivers the goods I'd be happy..

Stratos-
Old 01-04-2005, 02:19 PM
romanrc

Hi Wgeffon

I m from Puerto Vallarta, MĂ©xico, and I have see you fly in the video of XTF of last year, a friend of us, Manuel Santos talk me very well of you, and yours big fingers.

I´m waiting too the Yak 54 87, I´m in the China way, I hope have it in 6 weeks.

I will run whit BME 50 and hitec all digital servos, buy do you know about canisters for this engine, I ear the zdz makes one who works whit this engine.

I working in the Carden Cuda too.

Gracias
Old 01-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Aerosplat

Original post by coche
Robert:

no body unser my custion that if we are going to need longer servo extentions for the elevators! since we all thought that they will be at the fuse!
You that have the yak, can you tell me how many inches is there from the stabs to where the Rx its going to be?
do you think a 36" servo extention will do it?
It depends on how you will use the removable Stab/Elev setup. It is 23" from the exit at the stab to the rear of the hatch opening. If you are going to leave the Stabs on most of the time, with the 12 inch pigtail from the servo, a 24 inch extension will work. If you are going to constantly remove the Stabs, you will need 36 inch extensions. If you use the 24 inch extensions, you will need to unplug form the RCVR each time you remove the Stabs, then rethread the extensions when you put them back on.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Aerosplat

My radio setup:
JR 8103
JR 649 Rcvr
5 JR 8611's
1 JR 811 on throttle
4400 ma Li-po
SmartFly 6 volt with Failsafe

Ignition:
2000 ma Li-po
Smartfly 5.5 volt with Failsafe

Both batteries and SmartFly regs have 18 gauge wires with Deans connectors. The SmartFly come with a switch included.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: romancarlos

I will run whit BME 50 and hitec all digital servos, buy do you know about canisters for this engine, I ear the zdz makes one who works whit this engine.
Romancarlos,

I dont know about the cans for the BME. You should get a hold of Keith at BME. I am sure he can help you out.
www.bmeengine.com

Will you make it to the XFC this year with Manuel? We really had a good time getting to know his family and friends last year.
Manuel and I have become good friends since last summer and are both looking forward to this June.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Aerosplat,

that was the pic I wanted to see. Thanks. There is a BIG difference from the Rejected ones , the geometry is different. The angle cut here on the stab is much deeper, a lot like the 68.

Would the stock Hitec heavy duty wheels be a good choice for the Phen arm?? I read back a few pages about the aluminum ones.....are they necessary?

THe servo extension question isn't easy, it depends on where you going to put the matchbox , or if you are'nt using one. But 36inch's looks right if you are using programmed digitals. A friend rigged an extension that plugs into both pigtails hanging out after you remove the stabs, so they dont fall back in. it wraps underneath the fuse connecting them together while they hang out.

I am going to make my own heavy gauge extensions out of 18 gauge. Very long cables and a lot of voltage drop on the most important surface(s).
Old 01-04-2005, 02:44 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

it depends on where you going to put the matchbox , or if you are'nt using one.
Mike,

There should be no need for a matching device on this plane.
The elevators can be mixed in most computer radios either with a pre-programmed mix or setting one up yourself.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I heard about Wayne's big fingers too.... ROTFL....
Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I plan on using the large black wheels HiTec sends with the 5945's... I think they are made of Karbonite and are as tough as nails.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Aerosplat

Aerosplat,

that was the pic I wanted to see. Thanks. There is a BIG difference from the Rejected ones , the geometry is different. The angle cut here on the stab is much deeper, a lot like the 68.

Would the stock Hitec heavy duty wheels be a good choice for the Phen arm?? I read back a few pages about the aluminum ones.....are they necessary?
The old heavy duty cross arms from Hitec will work. the heel is a perfect in the centering hole of the arm. But you will need to make a spacer for the thin part of the cross. See picture.

Many arms or wheels will work.
The three important requirements are:
1. The wheel or arm needs to be centered exactly in the hole in the Phenolic arm.
2. You need enough stock to use the 4 screws, If only two are used, the arm needs to be heavy Duty.
3. Both the top and bottom of the arm or wheel need to be flat so the Phenolic arms and spacers are stacked flat against everything.

Name:	By76506.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	210583  
Old 01-04-2005, 03:34 PM
romanrc

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

ORIGINAL: romancarlos

Romancarlos,

I dont know about the cans for the BME. You should get a hold of Keith at BME. I am sure he can help you out.
www.bmeengine.com

Will you make it to the XFC this year with Manuel? We really had a good time getting to know his family and friends last year.
Manuel and I have become good friends since last summer and are both looking forward to this June.
Tanks Wayne

I talk whit Manuel yesterday, and tell me the next mount came Chip to MĂ©xico City
feb 11 to 13, and if I can I will go to the XFC I have a good time whit all you.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
eb542

Hi Robert,

Any chance you could get a good pic of the fuse from underneath. What I would like to see is the pipe tunel from the bottom and the location where the pipe would come out.

Also, does anyone know if the KS1060 comes with some mounting hardware or brackets?

Thanks again.

Al
Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
coche

what do you think of a 4" double-lock offset pull pull servo arm from SWB MFG insted of using the Phenolic arm?

I know the phenolic arm will work very good, but I am thinking on a simpler way of installing the pull pull, also I like a lot the double-lock sistem!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:11 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Good insight. People should know the std setup - one 22awg plug into the receiver will work. You can load the 22awg battery wire more than 3a, but it will result in voltage drop to the servos, hot wires, and in some instances melted battery connectors. That is why I'm running 3 - 22awg wires into the receiver.

I highly doubt the average pilot will draw more than 3A constant.

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Hey Coche,

The reason for three connectors is to spread the amp load... not for the receivers sake, nor the batteries sake... but for them wimpy connectors that MUST be used in receivers.

They are good for 3 amps... not really enough alone for a full house digital servo setup. The Smart-Fly uses two leads which doubles the effective current capacity to 6 amps continuous... but of course they can handle more in short bursts. Looks like Fromeco offers stock or made one for Drew that has 3 (9 amps)

I have had several battery to switch connections "melt" together due to this problem. That's why Fromeco and Smart-Fly use deans on their regulators.

What I like about Smart-Fly is that it offers the "complete" package...

It comes with the failsafe regulator, and extra deans pigtail to change your battery over, a section of shrink wrap to rewrap you battery when you've change the lead, and the physical switch... which can be extended if needed with a regular servo/battery extension.

Two more imprtant considerations.... the Smart-Fly failsafe switch is 1 oz lighter than the Fromeco and draws ALOT less current when in the off position...

The Fromeco draws 3 mah (that's quite a bit) and the Smart-Fly draws .4 mah.... really both should be disconnected after use... why? Because Lithium batteries, if dropped below a certain voltage, are ruined... they won't take a charge...

On the OTHER hand... the Fromeco does support higher continous amp draw... 8 vs 5. but on planes up to 33% 5 amp is more than sufficient.

So... really either is just fine... but I chose the lighter. more complete package that Smart-Fly offers... szee it here:

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Re.../regulator.htm

ORIGINAL: coche

Drew....

I want to know exactly what you bought to fromeco.. I am very interested..... I was going to buy the duralite sistems, but this seams to be a little bit better...

I didn´t knew that they sell a failsafe regulator with a switch! does that switch cums with the regulator?? why 3 cables to plug in to your RX??? I am going to run out of channels on my reciver!

how are you going to charge the battery?? are you going to unplug your battery everytine?

Best

Jose
Page: << < prev 7 8 9 10 [11]
Old 01-04-2005, 07:14 PM
going vert

Roger - the web site does not require registration. It is open to everyone to view and enjoy - no strings attached!

extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

And IF you do not want to go to Drew's web site and join you are sh** out of luck...............

Thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Aerosplat

YES, Drew's web sight is open for viewing to anyone with the link.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Aerosplat

Here is the bottom of the plane, like I said, just a stock looking fuselage. I marked the entrance to the tunnel in green. You just have to cut the covering away. Make the exit anywhere you need to. For other comments and dimensions see post # 227 and # 244.

Original post by coche:
what do you think of a 4" double-lock offset pull pull servo arm from SWB MFG insted of using the Phenolic arm?

I know the phenolic arm will work very good, but I am thinking on a simpler way of installing the pull pull, also I like a lot the double-lock sistem!
I have seen the SWB offset arm, but I don't know much about it. I'm not sure the offset will be correct to keep the control wires tensioned. That is what is sooo sweet about the one supplied. The geometry is already worked out. I watched Chris move his rudder from full left to full right. Both control cables maintained their tension throughout the movement, no slack anywhere.

I do have the 1 1/2 half double lock arms from SWB for elevator and Aileron. [8D]

Name:	Ay73517.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	210669  
Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
going vert

Splat - are you going to be posting any videos? I'm going to post the upload instructings on the site once I setup the FTP account. Unfortunately, we can only host the 87" Yak stuff. With all the videos we have up we are running out of bandwidth fast!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
coche

Robert.... you have a point telling me that this servo arm has been worked out to give the best geometry!
I am going to stick with stock ruder servo arm!

Jose
Old 01-04-2005, 08:31 PM
going vert

The 1060 + header come w/ everything you need to connect the two together. Apparently, Chris has some way of attaching the pipe to the fuse w/ fuel tubing and a zip tie.

ORIGINAL: eb542

Hi Robert,

Any chance you could get a good pic of the fuse from underneath. What I would like to see is the pipe tunel from the bottom and the location where the pipe would come out.

Also, does anyone know if the KS1060 comes with some mounting hardware or brackets?

Thanks again.

Al
Old 01-04-2005, 08:50 PM
eb542

Thanks for the info on the KS pipe, is Chris method of "bracing" the pipe to the fuse explained in detail anywhere? I have looked around but......

Thanks also to Aerosplat for the fuse bottom pic.

Al.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Aerosplat

I don’t really plan to post Video of the building process, and no one would want to see Video of my Mediocre flying. [] I'm sure you and Wayne will put up some great stuff. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=surprised.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.