Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

I hang up the phone and my wife says,
Who was that?
I say, It was Drew
She asks me if I am still humoring him about his new fangled battery, wiring set up.
Yes I say.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Wayne, you draggin some foamies over to the Wigwam sunday?
Bring your Yak with you so I can drool over it if you come.
Matt
Old 01-03-2005, 10:32 PM
wgeffon

Matt,

No I am not making Anderson this weekend.
Hopefully we will be out making Yak videos.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Rain, snow, wind, cold. You can't make good vids in that
Matt
Old 01-03-2005, 10:55 PM
wgeffon

Good? Sure we can..
Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 PM
coche

Drew....

I want to know exactly what you bought to fromeco.. I am very interested..... I was going to buy the duralite sistems, but this seams to be a little bit better...

I didn´t knew that they sell a failsafe regulator with a switch! does that switch cums with the regulator?? why 3 cables to plug in to your RX??? I am going to run out of channels on my reciver!

how are you going to charge the battery?? are you going to unplug your battery everytine?

Best

Jose
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM
wgeffon

Just in case some of you are wondering who your talking to when you are talking to Drew (Goin Vert) I will post this pic of him.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78800.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	210352  
Old 01-03-2005, 11:51 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

now im thirsty
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

THey would put him to work real quick here in hollywood!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 AM
wgeffon

OK
Back to the Yak.

I had to post it though. We have a buddy who is a Photoshop wizzard. I couldnt resist.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:15 AM
N45328

That is a pretty gross picture wgeffon. I happen to be a expert in photoshop myself. Here is a little editing that i did on the picture.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:36 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Nice one.... Wayne we have something in store for you. Just wait.

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Just in case some of you are wondering who your talking to when you are talking to Drew (Goin Vert) I will post this pic of him.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:50 AM
going vert

Call Kurt from Fromeco and tell him you want the same setup Drew just bought. He knows me and the setup.

Don't listen to these naysayers. They will continue to run inferior power setups, and when they change I will just sit back and smile

I had Kurt install a special switch - that is not his std switch. You need a 9ch radio to run all three leads. I'm running a failsafe switch b/ all HD switches are rated at 5A. If your system draws more than 5A you will have voltage loss running through a std HD switch. A fail safe switch has zero voltage loss b/ no current passes through it.

I repeat - this setup is not required. Just my way of doing it. And yes, I'm going to rewire my 40% this way. I'm going to run three of these identical setups.

ORIGINAL: coche

Drew....

I want to know exactly what you bought to fromeco.. I am very interested..... I was going to buy the duralite sistems, but this seams to be a little bit better...

I didn´t knew that they sell a failsafe regulator with a switch! does that switch cums with the regulator?? why 3 cables to plug in to your RX??? I am going to run out of channels on my reciver!

how are you going to charge the battery?? are you going to unplug your battery everytine?

Best

Jose
Old 01-04-2005, 06:52 AM
going vert

Um - I thought this was a Yak thread - not a rip Drew thread. You guys are immature.
ORIGINAL: N45328

That is a pretty gross picture wgeffon. I happen to be a expert in photoshop myself. Here is a little editing that i did on the picture.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:04 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

If I may make a suggestion about this thread before much more is posted on the ACTUAL BUILD and FLY is to start another one that ACTUALLY is about BUILDING and FLYING of the YAK.
This way when people (beside the lucky 20) get this plane thay do not have to read 10 pages of speculation and can go read about the intensions of the REAL BUILD and FLY thread.
Even though I do not have my name on the plane list, I do know some people that do, and I also remember the Great Planes thread(s) about the Patty Wag plane that kinda got out a hand with lots of pages of BS.

Now I know Wayne will eat me and spit me out for suggesting this, but think of the poor soul who buys one of these planes and has to try and read page after page of nothing to get to the nitty gritty.

Waiting for your comment Wayne........................................
Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Hey Coche,

The reason for three connectors is to spread the amp load... not for the receivers sake, nor the batteries sake... but for them wimpy connectors that MUST be used in receivers.

They are good for 3 amps... not really enough alone for a full house digital servo setup. The Smart-Fly uses two leads which doubles the effective current capacity to 6 amps continuous... but of course they can handle more in short bursts. Looks like Fromeco offers stock or made one for Drew that has 3 (9 amps)

I have had several battery to switch connections "melt" together due to this problem. That's why Fromeco and Smart-Fly use deans on their regulators.

What I like about Smart-Fly is that it offers the "complete" package...

It comes with the failsafe regulator, and extra deans pigtail to change your battery over, a section of shrink wrap to rewrap you battery when you've change the lead, and the physical switch... which can be extended if needed with a regular servo/battery extension.

Two more imprtant considerations.... the Smart-Fly failsafe switch is 1 oz lighter than the Fromeco and draws ALOT less current when in the off position...

The Fromeco draws 3 mah (that's quite a bit) and the Smart-Fly draws .4 mah.... really both should be disconnected after use... why? Because Lithium batteries, if dropped below a certain voltage, are ruined... they won't take a charge...

On the OTHER hand... the Fromeco does support higher continous amp draw... 8 vs 5. but on planes up to 33% 5 amp is more than sufficient.

So... really either is just fine... but I chose the lighter. more complete package that Smart-Fly offers... szee it here:

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Re.../regulator.htm

ORIGINAL: coche

Drew....

Best

Jose
Page: << < prev 7 8 9 10 [11]
Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 AM
wgeffon

Roger,

A new thread doesnt bother me but the same thing will happen there in a few weeks.
Long threads tend to wander around and you could have pages that are not really related to the "subject"
I dont see how that can be avoided.

This one definately has wandered a bit but, there is also a lot of good information that people have already posted.
It will get back on track in a few days so we can continue here or we can start a new one.

What does everyone think?
New thread or just continue?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Stratos

Yeah, now that the planes are actually here, let's start a new one.

I mean, the pictures of the model, other than the prototype, appeared
in page 9 or so. I can imagine people needing info on the plane getting
frustrated quick having to go through all these pages and no real info in them.

Let's start a new one where the information will be easier to access and more to the point.
And maybe an admin will be on top of it to keep it clean with no unnecessary clutter??
Is this too much to ask??

Stratos.-
Old 01-04-2005, 01:08 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

...more complete package that Smart-Fly offers...
The Fromeco package is just as complete as any other...battery, regulator and switch. What else do you need?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Maudib

I wasn't knocking the Fromeco... again... the smart-fly comes with an extra deans pigtail and shrink wrap to rewire your existing battery... whether it be a NicD, NiHM or Lion. That's about a $3 value.

I make my own lion packs and the pigtail and shrink wrap makes it easy. I can get 4 2400mah cells for $32 and Smart-Fly supplies me with the rest I need to finish the pack. (I can also get four 2000 mah cells for under $20)

So I can have a Smart-Fly FailSafe regulator & 4800 mah lion battery for $77 and save about $25... (or with a 4000 mah pack instead just $65) plus if you are trying to shed as much weight as possible... I save 1 oz.

Again they are both top notch products... but if you are using an existing NiCad/Nihm, Lion battery the Smart-Fly is a couple bucks cheaper and comes with the deans lead to rplace on your battery.

I aslo like SmartFly's optical ignition switch... so it saves me shipping to get them both there...
Old 01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Aerosplat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been away for a few days, so I am playing catch-up. I agree with Wayne, we could start a new thread, but before long it will be just as mixed as this one is. People just can't resist adding their 2 cents even if it is not about the subject at hand. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Maybe Drew can pull out the posts that are on subject and put them on his website mentioned in the first post ?? That way he could keep it on subject.

As for all the NAY-SAYRES who gave up, bailed out, bought something else, or just don't have one or won't get one.....
I stuck it out, and in my opinion it has been well worth the wait. And MY opinion is all that matters to ME. [>:]
Bottom line, I have one and they do not, so I win... (In my opinion). [sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 01-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Maudib

You forgot to say....

"Nana nana noo noo"

Old 01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Flight Hawk

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

What does everyone think?
New thread or just continue?

IMO, I say we just continue on with this thread. I don't see anythig wrong with ribbing each other, it keeps things fun and makes for good reading. Besides when all these planes get delivered to the first 20, the build talk is going to dominate the posts. If anyone wants to know anything about these airplanes all they have to do is ask and i'm sure all their inquries will be answered. I know that i'm going to have questions when mine arrives on the 1st boat.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Maudib

You forgot to say....

"Nana nana noo noo"

Hmm
My daughter says
Nana nana boo boo. Has she been saying it wrong?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:00 PM
ROGER RUSSELL

So if a guy gets one of these planes later down the road, whenever the slow boat from China makes it, and he has not read any of this thread, he must go thru 10-15 pages of bull sh** to get to anything good............
And IF you do not want to go to Drew's web site and join you are sh** out of luck...............

I will wait for a RCU report, which will be more informative and more to the point.

And if this plane is has hot as it is suppose to be, Chris should have sent ALL 20 to the modeler mags so they can get it to the press stands in a hurray.............

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.