Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM
S.L.engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

ORIGINAL: JRSmith

I have not got anything yet, I have paid in full. I got some pictures of the motors being assembled. What Luigi told me is that he had a event this weekend and would be finishing up the first batch this next week and start shipping after they were test run and final adjustment. I also ordered the exhaust ring, software, and USB interface but they will not ship with the motor. They will come a little bit later. So far I am pleased with the prompt replies from Luigi and all seems good at this point. I am looking forward to getting the motor and I will provide a full review on this motor. I will probably start a new thread just for SL engines as not to take away from this thread. Here are the last two pictures he sent me of the motor being assembled. Take care.

Your engines are already assembled and tomorrow all will begin the break-in of 2 hours each to be shipped. In the meantime, we are finalizing the exhaust rings for those who so requested.
I have just returned from a trade show in Italy and here is very late, but I wanted to respond immediately.

The success of the new SL150 and very big, all those who then and now have seen it fly told wonderful and very powerful.
Many people have purchased.

As regards FREDO are very offended by what I wrote and have doubted my honesty. Just apprehension engine with UPS that will hear me tomorrow, I will return to Italy and I'll return the sum due. I do not accept such words.
I'm always very precise with everyone and I shouldn't even have so much with my clients. But I love being first to friend model maker and then constructor. I think this very distinguished me from all my competitors. So I feel very offended despite my efforts to communicate with you and this is very misunderstood.

A greeting to all.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Dad_Roman

Le Wow
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
radial1951

And the UPS Consignment Note Number is..... Gee, I thought the customer was entitled to ask questions.

It's a Moki 150, not exactly small change.I'd be a bit nervous too...

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: S.L.engines

As regards FREDO are very offended by what I wrote and have doubted my honesty. Just apprehension engine with UPS that will hear me tomorrow, I will return to Italy and I'll return the sum due. I do not accept such words.

I'm always very precise with everyone and I shouldn't even have so much with my clients. But I love being first to friend model maker and then constructor. I think this very distinguished me from all my competitors. So I feel very offended despite my efforts to communicate with you and this is very misunderstood.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
S.L.engines

ORIGINAL: radial1951

And the UPS Consignment Note Number is..... Gee, I thought the customer was entitled to ask questions.

It's a Moki 150, not exactly small change.I'd be a bit nervous too...

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: S.L.engines

I was referring to the private email I received quite heavy. However attention and how to behave within I shall be forced to do as all other manufacturers who do not speak publicly in any way with users.

Good night I go to bed here are 03:00 am

greetings

Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 PM
radial1951

How about a question about radial engines.  

Ok, you guys who bought the Saito 450R3 seem to have disappeared of the face on the earth. No mention here about them, no videos on YouTube, nuttin. I wonder if they actually run them...

Mr wheels rebuilt one and put it into a GeeBee(?), so did it get off the ground? Wulf was doing the same. And SOUTHERNX.

GeeBeez are popular, the big ones look great in the air. Real presence...

Regards RossG
radial1951

Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Ok, you guys who bought the Saito 450R3 seem to have disappeared of the face on the earth. No mention here about them, no videos on YouTube, nuttin. I wonder if they actually run them...
I was wondering the same here. I have been following this thread for over a year now debating which radial would best suit me. I bought a 450r off RCU last week and should have it this Wednesday. Being rather pumped up by this purchase I'll be reporting back by the end of the week, if it runs, what it sounds like, and does it make any power. I own Saito 150's and a 180, so 3 Saito 150's hooked together has got to do something! I plan on fitting it into an ESM 85" Corsair. The Seidels look nice and are very popular since the Hobby King connection but the parts are a concern and Saito parts are available next day from Horizon Hobbles and thats important to me. Anyway, this Wed I should finally be an official member of the Round Engine Fraternity.

tp
Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 PM
fredo

In regard to above posts. I did not mean to insult anybody just wanted to get the answer for a simple question. I think I'm entitled for that.
Enough said.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
radial1951

Tom

Well done. I got a 325 earlier this year when they were on super special from AdvantageHobby. Plan to get it in the plane in the next couple of months. I was also thinking that the 450 would be a good thing for another project I have in mind. Well, if the others don't let us know, we should hear from you soon. That would be really good. Btw there is a big Corsair with a 450 on YouTube.

I agree, the Seidel looks good, but as well as your concerns, there were technical reasons that pushed me over to the Saito. Still, I haven't heard of any irate Seidel owners, and that's good too.

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I was wondering the same here. I have been following this thread for over a year now debating which radial would best suit me. I bought a 450r off RCU last week and should have it this Wednesday. Being rather pumped up by this purchase I'll be reporting back by the end of the week, if it runs, what it sounds like, and does it make any power. I own Saito 150's and a 180, so 3 Saito 150's hooked together has got to do something! I plan on fitting it into an ESM 85" Corsair. The Seidels look nice and are very popular since the Hobby King connection but the parts are a concern and Saito parts are available next day from Horizon Hobbles and thats important to me. Anyway, this Wed I should finally be an official member of the Round Engine Fraternity.

tp
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Radial77

ORIGINAL: fredo

In regard to above posts. I did not mean to insult anybody just wanted to get the answer for a simple question. I think I'm entitled for that.
Enough said.

Fredo,

Have you tried tracking using the consignment number on UPS? Ipurchased a MOki 150 from airworld in Germany and it arrived in 2 weeks all the way to Malaysia.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Luigi of SL Engines does not read, write, or speak English from my observations and conversations with him. He uses Google translator. So you just know many words and meanings get 'lost in the translation' and that is no pun.

I hope everything works out okay for Fredo and JRSmith.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 PM
fredo

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Luigi of SL Engines does not read, write, or speak English from my observations and conversations with him. He uses Google translator. So you just know many words and meanings get 'lost in the translation' and that is no pun.

You know, that's exactly the feel I get. To me, it's really sad that our relationship ends this way. This hobby is in a desperate need of people like Luigi. We need more designers and inventors. I just hope somewhere deep down, this was just
some address spelling error or mistake that can be fixed I'm prepared to wait, I don't have a problem with that as long as I know what's happening. I'm going to give him the biggest apology he ever heard if the engine arrives.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 AM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fredo,

I do admit at time it can be a little hard to communicate with the translation, but I hope you guys can come to some sort of resolution. I wish you the best and hope you either get the motor you bought or a refund.

I will keep you guys up to date on my motor. Hopefully Radial77 will hear something shortly also. I e-mail Luigi a lot and have been asking tons of questions about the engine, he has replied promptly. There are a few time that my message got "lost in the translations" and have to look up the word and meaning in Italian to help out.

An another note, after seeing the videos and e-mails with Luigi, I have bought two props from Biela for the SL150 during my time here in Poland. I bought a 32x10D 2 blade and 28x12D 3 blade. I also bought a 32x12D but that is for another airplane but I think would work on the SL150 also. I got a good deal on them buying here and expect to get the props today, I head back to the states this coming Sunday. Take care

Jason

Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

I cant wait to hear the expose' on exhaust. I loved the frequency talk but I guess I am looking for things to adapt to our one lungers to help their sounds too

Hi to all,
sorry I forgot to thank you guys for the friendly welcome Some guys already know me here, so I was not feeling to be really new in your company..

Dad,
last time we used our fantasy and build a nice and hopefully well sounding engine with the "right" receipt, but there are surely things you can do on your existing engine sound (4stroke engine).

But one thing is sure: you cannot copy the sound that a non-dampened 3-litre cylinder at 2700rpm"creates", especially not with a 20 or maybe 80 cc model cylinder. The concrete shaking power in the detonation of a Merlins or Daimler Benz engines exhaustis far beyond the horizon for us little model engine users. But we can do some things to come a little closer.

First of all, DONT use flexible metal tubes. They ruin the sound, killing low frequencies and letting higher ones pass through. It is amazing, how "small" a big 150 cc 4-stroke twin can sound, when only those tubes are attatched to the heads.
Secondly, use big diameters, and try to use a big volume for your exhaust system / canister. If necessary, use damping components like an outlet tube with a lot of small radially drilled holes. Do not use any technique that creates reflexions like several walls with holes in them, like you can find in 2stroke silencers. There are silencers basing on reflection technique, and those based upon absorption.Thelatter are the ones that make a cool sexy sound. Sorry that I am missing many terms, so it is not easy to explain for me in english.
Often our four stroke engines are not really loud, so a single big canister ( 6 to 10 times the displacement) with nothing inside but an outlet tube , also with a big diameter, is doing the best job. And- surprise- if done well and played around with volume and header length, you find more power on the engine quite often as a free gift(!)
If you make a canister body, dont use too thin sheet metal, especially not when the exhaust body is outside the fuselage. This would sound like somebody playing with a chain on a metal surface, no nice frequency, nor a nice charcater of sound.

Please note, that a 4-stroke engine NEEDS a volume to create a cool low sound. Operating with headers only, the engine performs underneath its capabilities, regarding our acoustic senses. Try to make a guitar sound without body, no chance ( besides you use electronic amplifiers)

I personally prefer to run all headers in one combined canister, for example my Saito- twins thanked me for that when they are pleasing everbodys ears. From the power point of view, there is nothing against this, it depends on the individual solution if you gain power or lose it. There is no common rule.
In case of the Vee-4 I am building,I am forced to operate 2 canisters, simply as a consequence of the design of the Vee-engine. 2 cylinders willshare a canister at each side, each carrying 6 stacks (depending on the aircraft, to match the original view and looks).
What we like to see in the end is something like that on the pics, only with a much bigger central tube (the supplying gallery for the 6 stacks). The pics were taken from my quarterscale P-40 .

But I am afraid this here is the wrong post for pics like these, being a radial thread for non-gas engines
Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
SOUTHERNX

Hi Radial 1951,I have not ran either the 325 or the 450 saito radials as yet, but I have purchased the exhaust rings from Keleo Creations for them as well as the glow drivers from Mc Daniels.As the Aussie dollar is up at the moment I have ordered the Seidel 7-70 from Hobby King,the other reason for purchasing this engine at this time is the apparent availability of an exhaust ring from Swift Models in England.(I have ordered it but no conformation from them as yet) This completes my glow radial collection,the next one will be petrol(gas).The 450 goes into a Gee Bee Y, theother two are currently undecided,probably retirement projects,Mark.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM
S.L.engines

ORIGINAL: JRSmith

Fredo,

I do admit at time it can be a little hard to communicate with the translation, but I hope you guys can come to some sort of resolution. I wish you the best and hope you either get the motor you bought or a refund.

I will keep you guys up to date on my motor. Hopefully Radial77 will hear something shortly also. I e-mail Luigi a lot and have been asking tons of questions about the engine, he has replied promptly. There are a few time that my message got "lost in the translations" and have to look up the word and meaning in Italian to help out.

An another note, after seeing the videos and e-mails with Luigi, I have bought two props from Biela for the SL150 during my time here in Poland. I bought a 32x10D 2 blade and 28x12D 3 blade. I also bought a 32x12D but that is for another airplane but I think would work on the SL150 also. I got a good deal on them buying here and expect to get the props today, I head back to the states this coming Sunday. Take care

Jason

Here are some pictures of your engines .... test tomorrow on the test bench and then finishes the place to post photos of the event ...

Hello Louis.

For Fredo and I heard UPS seem to have tracked the package of the engine that had been lost.
You should receive it during the week.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37341.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1507522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27569.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1507523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74935.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	1507524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm29991.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	1507525  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 AM
radial1951

Detlef(?)

Actually, this place is for EVERYTHING RADIAL ENGINES. Including Gas and methanol, miniature and full size I guess.

Your pics and excellent explanation of exhaust systems are entirely applicable to radial engines. I think the concept is easily adapted to radials. Made me think about tinny sounds from thin sheet metal mufflers. Look at the size of the collector ring on a Moki radial. Big volume and rigid because of the toroidal shape. And big cylinders, no wonder they have deep voices. I was going to buy a ring exhaust for my Saito 325 yet in the back of my mind I thought of making my own. I can't remember who it was, but he made one using commercial elbows (stainless steel?) cut and silver soldered into a ring, see pic. I wonder how that one sounds... The keleo ring is quite small in the tube diameter, although they sound ok.

Regards RossG
radial1951

ORIGINAL: Detlef Kunkel
But I am afraid this here is the wrong post for pics like these, being a radial thread for non-gas engines

Name:	Rp44583.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1507528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70428.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	1507529  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 AM
fredo

Thanks Luigi, that's a good news.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 AM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Luigi for the pictures. Looks great.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Detlef Kunkel

Detlef(?)

Actually, this place is for EVERYTHING RADIAL ENGINES. Including Gas and methanol, miniature and full size I guess.

Your pics and excellent explanation of exhaust systems are entirely applicable to radial engines. I think the concept is easily adapted to radials. Made me think about tinny sounds from thin sheet metal mufflers. Look at the size of the collector ring on a Moki radial. Big volume and rigid because of the toroidal shape. And big cylinders, no wonder they have deep voices. I was going to buy a ring exhaust for my Saito 325 yet in the back of my mind I thought of making my own. I can't remember who it was, but he made one using commercial elbows (stainless steel?) cut and silver soldered into a ring, see pic. I wonder how that one sounds... The keleo ring is quite small in the tube diameter, although they sound ok.

Regards RossG
radial1951

Ross,
I understood this place hereis for radials only,
but the word came to the beautiful Vee-12 scale engine replicas (and on my Vee-4) and soI joined in. Of course, as long as they are four stroke engines, the little exhaust- sound talk of mine is also adaptable to radials.
The physics and accoustic effects are the same.

I of course did NOT want to spoil your thread...

BTW I had a Saito 325 years ago, and remember quite well how nice its sound was with the saito ring exhaust...
Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Kmot

Detlef, you could always start a new thread in the Glow Engines forum titled "Model Engine Exhaust Theory" or something like that and we would be happy to follow along.

Or not.

Luigi: I love the black crankcase SL150! Very sexy looking!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Detlef Kunkel

Detlef, you could always start a new thread in the Glow Engines forum titled "Model Engine Exhaust Theory" or something like that and we would be happy to follow along.

Or not.

Kmot,

Ok, thank you.

What I did not understand, why is this thread listed under "glow engines" when half of the radials are gassers?
Dont you seperate glow from gas, or do you use the term for both types?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
S.L.engines

for you post photos of the BU133 with Blek SL150 flying .... if you want to buy is on sale.

For information send an MPV.

Name:	Xv65390.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1507694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62138.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1507695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl18927.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1507696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11810.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1507697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69134.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1507698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qg63666.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1507699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac64456.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1507700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay85237.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1507701  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt27288.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1507702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs84499.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1507703  
Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Kmot

What I did not understand, why is this thread listed under ''glow engines'' when half of the radials are gassers?
In this particular thread, we mostly talk about glow fuel powered engines but since we are radial engine lovers we seem to allow anything round in here for discussion. And even if it is not round.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Detlef Kunkel

What I did not understand, why is this thread listed under ''glow engines'' when half of the radials are gassers?
In this particular thread, we mostly talk about glow fuel powered engines but since we are radial engine lovers we seem to allow anything round in here for discussion. And even if it is not round.

Ahh yes.

You cannot be bad guys if you love those engines...

..i do as well
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

No radials yet, but I'm thinking a 1/3 Cub will work for the Kavan 50 twin I have.
Here are some unique engines on display at the Phoenix main airport terminal (PHX) a few years ago.

Name:	Qo41377.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1507723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78967.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1507724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58768.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1507725  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.