Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 04:36 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

It looks like the FA 62b is what I am after, the dimensions on HH dont spec out the distance between the mounting flange where it sits on the beam to where the center of the throttle arm is, which is what I need in order to determine if I can use it or not.

As I mentioned previously, the spray bar which is at the center of the throttle arm (hence why I need it) is an inch and a quarter above the tank center line. So when I have the engine adjusted for under 1/2 tank, and running perfect, it is way too rich for when it goes inverted and the fuel flow with pressure floods the engine causing it to flame out. I either have to lower the engine, or raise the tank, neither of which is an option with the OS 70, so if I can reduce that to what I have on my LT-40 with the OS 52, which is what I am hoping the Saito 62 is equal to in dimensions, then it will work fine for the SIG SE. I have to go measure the LT-40 to get an idea of where it needs to be.

The weight difference is over 100 grams too, so I either have to pull the 2 ounces out of the tail, or see if it balances with the battery moved forward. The trick will be figuring out how much to remove from the tail. Good news is the 62 swings the same prop, 13x6, or smaller 12 x 6. The plane was fast with the 70 on it, but could not hold a knife edge, the nose would drop even at full throttle. I did a low high speed pass yesterday, and got a little too close to me, passed within 10 feet, and it was MOVING! It is a Very Fun Plane to fly!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:41 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will measure the needed dimension for you tomorrow (Tues) from my FA-56 and post it.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 09-14-2015, 06:31 PM
acdii

Thanks, appreciate it. I just did some measuring and fitment. I have to build a new firewall, so found that I can raise the tank up 18 mm which puts the centerline much closer to the spraybar, which looks like it will be close enough for the 70. As it sat before the wrong landing, there was no way possible to raise the tank up as there was a plug holder in the fuse that locked the tank in place, and the hole in the firewall is also down there. There was also no way to get the tank up high enough as former F3 blocks it. With having the nose busted apart I took the top off, and have full access now so I can fit the tank between F3 and the firewall, and then put the top back on. I have some inch thick foam to space the tank with.

The tank centerline was 8 MM below the engine centerline, and the spray bar was 31 mm above the engine centerline putting it 39 mm above the tank centerline. With raising the tank like this the spray bar is now only 21 mm above the centerline, which is about where the OS 52 is in the LT-40. So once I know what the distance is on that 56 I can decide if I want to stick the 70 back on and see if that fixed it, or go look for a 62.

Last edited by acdii; 09-14-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Old Fart, you win send me your address by pm and the rd book is yours.
YAHOO! but...i'm suspiciousare you doing this so that people here will start nagging ME to copy it ?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:16 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Old Fart
YAHOO! but...i'm suspiciousare you doing this so that people here will start nagging ME to copy it ?
Well YES!!, please make me a digital copy, or post it here. Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 09-15-2015, 04:23 AM
Rudolph Hart

I would richard but i'm no einstein (sp) so i'm telling you it's trev's way of getting his revenge for all the bad things i've ever said about him.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Well YES!!, please make me a digital copy, or post it here. Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
I'm with Richard, I'll take a digital copy too please!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:25 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

acdii- are you talking about putting a Saito 56 or 62 in a Sig SE? I'm asking because I've built those kits and also a few LT-40 kits. I've seen a SE with a Saito 72, but I don't remember the prop the guy was using. The prop diameter is always the issue with the SE. I got away with a 12.25" APC on grass but I had to raise the landing gear and keep the nose up on landing and takeoffs or it would cutting grass. The guy who showed up with a SSE and the Saito 72 had his detuned quite a bit by being sloppy rich and I don't know what the plane would do. He flew some takeoff and landing patterns all afternoon and not much else.

The hole in the firewall for the fuel tank cap can be changed by either adding a doubler to the existing firewall with the hole where you want it, or by putting in a new firewall designed to your liking. You are right- the plane is easy to work with when you have the top off of the whole model. Now, I make them with removable tops from firewall all the way back to the end of the turtleneck.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The dimensiuons are on page 17, Horizon has done something to their links and they don't work well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/100-fa-aac-with-muffler%3A-qq-saie100
Old 09-15-2015, 11:55 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by blw
acdii- are you talking about putting a Saito 56 or 62 in a Sig SE? I'm asking because I've built those kits and also a few LT-40 kits. I've seen a SE with a Saito 72, but I don't remember the prop the guy was using. The prop diameter is always the issue with the SE. I got away with a 12.25" APC on grass but I had to raise the landing gear and keep the nose up on landing and takeoffs or it would cutting grass. The guy who showed up with a SSE and the Saito 72 had his detuned quite a bit by being sloppy rich and I don't know what the plane would do. He flew some takeoff and landing patterns all afternoon and not much else.

The hole in the firewall for the fuel tank cap can be changed by either adding a doubler to the existing firewall with the hole where you want it, or by putting in a new firewall designed to your liking. You are right- the plane is easy to work with when you have the top off of the whole model. Now, I make them with removable tops from firewall all the way back to the end of the turtleneck.
This one is the ARF flavor so had to use what I had until now. This new version can swing a 13" prop with room to spare, only time I clipped grass was when I landed too hard, but now with a few harrier landings under my belt, hard landings wont be an issue. I wonder if there will be any issues dropping the mounts down 5MM, which will put the tank CL right at the 10-15 mm distance the manual calls for(yes I finally found the freaking OS manual).

This could also be why my Cub Saito 100 quits at 1/4 tank at certain attitudes, the tank CL is a bit low to the spraybar even though the engine is mounted horizontally.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:03 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
The dimensiuons are on page 17, Horizon has done something to their links and they don't work well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/100-fa-aac-with-muffler%3A-qq-saie100
The dimension I am looking for is not on those diagrams. I need the dimension from the bottom of the mounting flange where it bolts to the beam to the middle of the carb where the spray bar is so I can determine how high above CL it is. The OS 70 is 31 MM above the beam, the OS 52 is 18 or 21 MM(I forget which) above the beam, so if the 56 is around 20MM or so it will work perfectly.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
Jim, I ordered a new set of nuts and was waiting for them to arrive when I took that picture, that's all the nuts I had left, I have a little drawer with many extras, mostly the wrong extras. Doin what works is good. That particular incident happened because I had the timing set @ 40 degrees btdc and not at 35 as I thought. It's now a t 31 due to the 11.24 to 1 compression ratio. It's nearly electric motor smooth at 31 btdc.

Hey Richard, I'd still like to get my hands on your 1.30 to play with it for a while. Maybe some day. Enjoy, Dave aka Hobbsy
I really really hate being beaten by inanimate objects! Finding that prop washer was beginning to look like one of 'those' times as I spent the better part of 6 hours looking for it this weekend in between other things SWMBO wanted me to do! I really hate to order and pay shipping for one item as I am significantly over budget this year. Time for the 'big guns'! So yesterday during my run for various errands I made a stop at Harbor Frieght with my coupons. Came home with a 22 inch magnetic sweeper. Fifteen minutes after assembling it I had found the valve cover bolt that was thrown, a muffler bolt I lost off the 70 3W I ran a month or so ago, and THE PROP WASHER! Harbor Frieght for the win!

I CAN justify the expenditure. Yes, the sweeper cost me ~$31 and I probably could have gotten the washer for ~$10 to $15, but we all know there were, are, and will be other things that will get dropped or thrown into the grass that will be invisible.

Later this week I hope to run the 150S again.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:32 PM
FlyerInOKC

Well you know the magnetic sweeper will get used again and again so it won't take long for it to pay for itself.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I be that vindictive Old Fart?? really all you sandgropers are to suspicious any way you still have to send me your address and don't forget folks in regard to the "Red Book" Old Fart is now the "go to" guy It is starting to warm up here a respectable 31 degrees celcius and blue skies and little wind.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:21 PM
spaceworm

[QUOTE=acdii;12099802]... I need the dimension from the bottom of the mounting flange ...to the middle of the carb... spray bar ...QUOTE]

Well as I said I would, I measured my FA-56. The dimension from the mounting surface of the lugs to the center of the needle valve/spray bar is....wait for it.... here it comes............drum roll...: 0.875 inches. You would think it would be metric, but my English machinists scale does not speak metric. So, convert it if you wish.

My go-to source for Saito data is: http://saito-engines.info/index.html, but even that source does not have the mount to spray bar C/L dim.

Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Well you know the magnetic sweeper will get used again and again so it won't take long for it to pay for itself.
That was exactly what she said...
Old 09-16-2015, 04:54 AM
Rudolph Hart

Jim do you mean SWMBO is like another way of saying,the handbrake? (cough)

I'm assuming the ground clearance prop thing is about trikes or are they tailwheelers?
Old 09-16-2015, 06:23 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
That was exactly what she said...
A metal detector will pick up a lot of non-magnetic metals as well. Found my wife's engagement ring at the beach. It will pick up a lot of "cheap trash" as well. It will cost a lot more though.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:24 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Jim do you mean SWMBO is like another way of saying,the handbrake? (cough)
Yes, SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm going off topic here about an engine other than Saito, anyone here ever own a Moiki 180? A friend of mine just offered the dirtiest engine he had ever seen on the terms I take it with the understanding he doesn't know if it will run. The price is right, $0.00 I just need to give it a good cleaning and build a test stand to run it on. He advises me its not worth taking to a swap meet because he has new 2 cycle engines he can't get anyone to look at. If it will pull it I have a 1/4 Swift coming in around 20 lbs. all up I'm wondering if it might handle? Opinions anyone? Thank you!

Mike
Old 09-16-2015, 06:53 AM
acdii

I like dirty engines, you could always send it to me and I will get it running.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
I like dirty engines, you could always send it to me and I will get it running.
I like dirty engines too because I get them cheap! All and all I haven't gotten anything I couldn't get running with minimum effort or parts. Its like finding a ARF flier's airplane in the trashcan, most cases it flies again with a little TLC. I had heard Mokis don't link synthetic oil so I'm guess most of the schumtz will be good old castor oil.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I like dirty engines too because I get them cheap! All and all I haven't gotten anything I couldn't get running with minimum effort or parts. Its like finding a ARF flier's airplane in the trashcan, most cases it flies again with a little TLC. I had heard Mokis don't link synthetic oil so I'm guess most of the schumtz will be good old castor oil.

Yeah and I have heard nothing but good about Moki's. Too bad I have a pair of ST 3000's
Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Fart watch the mailbox in about a week. I will try to get it away on Monday. Busy week ahead and I am b*^#dy frustrated and have a bad case of SOL. YS engines are not working, can't get either 63 above 8K rpm, I think after all else I have a regulator or rotor to crankshaft problem (the engines both appear to be getting excessive fuel and are unusually unresponsive to the HSN) and to top it all off that idiot Shorten has just opened his mouth on the news. A pox on all politicians and dud fuel. It is raining, the water tanks are over flowing so all is not bad. Oh yes I know your address now Old Fart so be good in the future.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 PM
acdii

Who has the best prices on Saito including shipping costs? Also does anyone know if they all come with aluminum mounts, or was that just the FG models that do? There is a hobby shop in Madison that sells Saito for good prices, but nothing smaller than a 72.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.