Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
lrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: TimC
I just checked at Just Engines and they still list the .45. There is a link at Just Engines to the UK importer. At this link is a page where you type in a part # number or description and it will search for the part. Here is that page: http://www.macgregor.co.uk/stock/stock.htm
Tim,

Thanks for the lead, I'll check it out.

Lee
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Lee, Paul or Jenny will go all out to help you, just shoot them an E- mail and they are great about answering. I buy engines and props from them, they are great to deal with.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 46 Just Engines has is the 45S which looks much like a Saito 56.

I think your 45 is a Mark II ?

Jim
Old 03-11-2006, 08:13 PM
bldrums

Whoa that new 1.25! Got my first flight in today and the 1.25 smokes!!!! And also literaly smokes too. I followed "Older" Bill's ( I like to call him that since Im only 59 ) advise and added some caster oil to my fuel. Im running it rich and dag gone , it almost looks like it has a smoker! cool[8D]... The 1.25 after 4 tanks, even Idles so nicely, after the first flight It didn't want to cut off when I trimmed the throttle to where it barely ran. I was so proud , I just stood there and let er idle a minute. Definately is gonna be another nice Saito. ( no surprise there )

10% 16 x 6 APC / Taking a very old and overweight 9.5 # ( rebuilt x 3 ) SpaceWalker vertical like some kinda 3D thing.

Have A Great Weekend !!!
Bill : ( edira4emkootsneila )
Old 03-11-2006, 10:27 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello lrr; Try Steve Webb in England for your Saito 45 parts, just google them, Don't worry that they are in England, they'll take your VISA, and reduce the price by 17% because the part is going out of the country and they don't have to collect the VAT.

I haven't had any trouble finding Saito parts in Canada, Great hobbies has a big saito stock, or hobby people.

I have bought 3 or 4 of those intake pipes over the years and could send you some twisted ones that were bent by the firewall. I have 3 Saito 45's
Old 03-12-2006, 01:05 AM
davcos

So, for the "final"answer, what fuel should I use in my new 182 twin?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dav, everyone has their fave, mine is WildCat 10% Premium Extra with 18% syn/castor blend, I have Saitos from .30 to 2.20 and Enya .46, .53 and 1.55, they run like swiss watches on the stuff. My Saito .90TS purrs like a kitten on it. Some guys even use that green stuff.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dav:

Just be certain your fuel has at least 3% castor oil in it. My choice is Morgan Fuel's Omega brand, in 15% nitro.

Bill.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 AM
davcos

Have you ever tried any of the mail order fuel? It seems my local stores have different fuel every time I go in. I've burned just about everything out there and I've never had a problem with my Saito's. (knock on wood). Oh, there was the broken crank shaft but that probably was mostly to do with hitting the ground at 50 mph!

I just wish the fuel contents were listed in some kind of standard format. I've asked about castor content before, and couldn't get an answer...

I'd like to just set up an account and have it delivered.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Being as you are from Colorado....

Seems to be policy that Magnum fuel will not disclose anything about their fuel.

It runs well though

A large hobby shop in Georgia ordered a few skids of Magnum and no one would buy it because you couldn't even tell the nitro content. The Georgia people were not familiar with the brand. The hobby shop owner sold all the fuel at a air show for $4/gal.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you order fuel you'll wind up paying a hazmat fee...it adds something like 20-25 bucks per case IIRC.
Kinda throws off the price per gallon doesn't it?!

Powermaster sport fuel is 18% oil and 1/3 of that is castor.
I think Omega is the same, but I've been told it's 1/2?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:58 PM
bldrums

Hello ya'll
Well I really did it this time. I stripped the threads on my .91 Saito head while changing glow plugs.[:'(] On a 5 year old engine ( that WAS running fine ) how much (or how little ) in repairs and maintaince would you recommend? If Im gonna send it off to repair the threads should I get if overhauled too while its apart? The real issue is , what is cost effective at this point.
Since I have repaired the muffler pressure nipple with JB W several times , that is the other repair that I would like done correctly.

Thanks for some help
Bill
Old 03-12-2006, 04:25 PM
lrr

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The 46 Just Engines has is the 45S which looks much like a Saito 56.

I think your 45 is a Mark II ?

Jim
Jim,

Yes, mine is a MKII, but sounds like there is still hope to find parts. Thanks to everyone for all the leads, and names of people to check with for parts. Guess I'll hold off strapping it into the milling machine for awhile!!

Lee
Old 03-12-2006, 04:37 PM
lrr

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Lee:

That's NICE.

Thank you for finding it. I wentto that site in search of parts listings, but I missed that page. Those pages.

Would be nice to be able to go straight to an order form. Or maybe a left click? Have to play with it some more.

Again, thank you.

Bill.
I feel more like I stumbled upon it --and I almost missed those pages at first look, myself. Somebody went to a lot of effort to create that set of pages, so hopefully they might be inclined to add the newer engines. It is maybe a little more than I'd want to take on right now.

Lee
Old 03-12-2006, 04:51 PM
William Robison

Rummy Bill:

(If youi can call me "Older" Bill, I can call you "Rummy," don't you think? Haw.)

Check in MA for Clarence Lee, he'll fix your cylinder at a reasonable price. If you call (he's not on the web) you could ask aboutthe muffler tap. A new cylinder for the 91 is about $91, the repair is worth while.

If you decide it's not worth while to you go ahead and buy a new one. Just send the junk engineto me.I'll fix it. And enjoy it.

Bearings? See how they feel after you pull the cylinder off, decide than.

Bill.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:34 PM
davcos

Well, I made the box for the engine mount and actually I think it's going to work out OK. (looks so simple now...) I think I just need to pull it off, brush some epoxy on and it should be good to go! Comments welcome! I've put some photos on the web page.

http://www.geosurv.com/monocoupe_90a.htm
Old 03-12-2006, 05:50 PM
William Robison

Dav:

Looks very nice.

Bill.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
mstcitabria

davcos,
That Monocoupe is a beautiful plane and that motor is something else, absolute jewel. Really nice combo....lucky dawg!
mstcitabria
Old 03-12-2006, 07:08 PM
davcos

Thanks! I deliberated for about a year between the Monocoupe and Pacific Aero's Gee Bee Y. Eventually though, I think I'll end up with both! I think that new Saito 220 would be nice in the Gee Bee!

Thanks for the comments!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
HOOTER

Mr. Bill,

Thanks for the information. (refer to post 1936) I run the Saito 100 today, still needs bearings badly...but it has plenty of compression!!!

On the rust issue one of the older members of our club (I'am 51 so he must really be old!!)
has been on me for the last three years for running straight synethic fuel, so about 6 months ago I started using a product HiMoil..castor additive, so hopefully I won't have any problems with rust in the future!!
One more question do you recommend Stainless Steel bearings or ceramic for the Saito...I never sell anything I just accumulate!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Old 03-12-2006, 08:17 PM
William Robison

Hoot:

What we normally call ceramic bearings are more correctly called composite bearings, having ceramic balls in steel races. You don't want to think about the prices of full ceramics.

The rear bearing should without exception be "Ceramic," with a polymite or phenolic retainer. It's the one that gets most of the hammering while the engine runs.

The front bearing is not so critical, I like to have the ceramic balls, but when Paul ( rc-bearings.com ) is out of stock on the ceramics with the double seal I'll use a stainless bearing in front. Having the double seal, in my opinion, is more important than the ceramic balls.

Please note the front bearing is a double rubber seal, and not the metal shield. And install it with both seals still in place. If you install an open or shielded bearing in the front of a Saito it wont matter how much cold medicine you feed it, it will forever have a runny nose.

So. Ceramics in both places if you can get the sealed front, otherwise sealed steel front and ceramic rear.

Bill.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
bldrums

Hey Old Timer,

"Check in MA for Clarence Lee,"

Whats MA?Rummy
Old 03-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Jack211

davcos, I order my Wildcat 15% Premium Xtra (18% castor {80% synthetic/20% "denatured racing castor"}) DIRECT, from Wildcat Fuels: 888-815-7575. Ask for "John." He'll tell you everything you wish to know about their fuels. They have a specific, 4-cycle fuel--which I've never used. John will tell you ARO is NOT required with their fuels, but go with Bill Robison: USE ARO. I've already trashed a set of bearings with Wildcat fuel--but I didn't run it out and never applied ARO until I met Bill Robison. (Thanks again, Bill.)

The Wildcat 15% I use costs me, an individual, not a hobby shop retailer, just $12.70/gallon--BUT that's ONLY in 12 case orders, 4 gallons/case, a total of 48 gallons.

The HAZMAT/shipping cost from Wildcat is about 73 bucks for ONE case or TWELVE, over 12 cases it is more, of course. That order costs about $610. In the month I order that fuel, I eat baked beans for 30 days, if I'm lucky, and drink VERY cheap whisky. But I get other guys to buy from me, so I don't stay in the poor house for ever. I hate cheap whisky (scotch).

Anybody with a better deal on fuel (Omega or otherwise) let me know. Meanwhile, call "John" at Wildcat Fuels and tell him the guy from northern MichIgan sent ya.

Jack
Old 03-12-2006, 08:44 PM
michael9054
My Feedback: (2)

i HAVE A SAITO 120 INSTALLED IN A FUNTANA S90 AND IT IS A BEAUTIFUL ENGINE,POWERFUL AND RELIABLE.THE ENGINE IS FED WITH 10% NITRO AND RUNS GREAT!NO PROBLEMS TO REPORT!!!:-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14390.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	425027  
Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 PM
khawkins

Hey Guys
I just bought a Cap 580 for my sons birthday, put a Saito 82 in it and we just finished it today. Took it outside to crank it and it just turns over, no starting.

I put a sullivan 12 ounce tank, 3 lines (one clunk for fuel to carb, one clunk to a filling hose, and one pressure tap). When I pull the line off the carb, put my finger on the muffler and turn the prop, fuel comes out. When I re connect the hose to the carb and do the same thing, no fuel seems to move to the carb.

The glow is good and its a brand new engine...never started.

Anyone have any tips I can try? My brain is racked.[]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.