Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

Telemetry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Mi-25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronforth
Yes I always run a second lead to the AUX port on ECU as a power backup....
Tks for your reply. There are 2x ports on my Xicoy ECU.
AUX 2, and AUX RX Input.
Which one do I use ?
Many thanks
Old 07-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Mi-25

Originally Posted by CARS II
Leon

RCG has a big Jeti thread on the radio section, post your question there as it is supported by Esprit, Jeti USA.

https://www.rcgroups.com/jeti-usa-794/

Good luck.
thanks Carlos
Old 07-25-2020, 07:10 PM
aaronforth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi-25
Tks for your reply. There are 2x ports on my Xicoy ECU.
AUX 2, and AUX RX Input.
Which one do I use ?
Many thanks
AUX RX is the one you want
Old 07-25-2020, 11:01 PM
Mi-25

Many thanks,
cheers
Old 07-27-2020, 04:40 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I always run a second lead to the AUX port on ECU as a power backup....
Can someone please explain why there is any benefit to this ? The ECU has it's own battery. The ONLY power related issue with the CB200 is the fact that you must never draw more than a couple hundred ma from RX1 or RX2 which is why devices like the Cortex Pro (which actually connect to RX1/Rx2) recommend an additional power connection. There is no such restriction on any off the the other ports. I see no benefit or harm to having a secondary connection to the ECU but is don't believe there is anything related to the Jeti central box that makes such a connection necessary.

As for an issue such as defective throttle cable, such things are pretty easy to detect during maintenance and don't generally develop unless the cable didn't have proper strain relief, etc. Also, if the intermittent connection is the signal lead you could still have a flame out (throttle signal out of bounds) without ever having an issue with the power or ground pins so an extra connection wouldn't help in that regard. As I see it, if you can't trust your basic electrical connections in the aircraft then it basically isn't safe to fly as such an issue can develop with any cable in the plane and most of them could cause far worse than a flame out.

Last edited by wfield0455; 07-27-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:23 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Wayne, I also don’t see any advantage....since you still have only one Signal input.....and I agree if it’s intermittent then fix it....don’t rubber band it. On the KingTech the ECU is actually power by the RX, the ECU battery is only for the Starter, glow and the fuel pump....
Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 AM
Mi-25

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Can someone please explain why there is any benefit to this ? The ECU has it's own battery. The ONLY power related issue with the CB200 is the fact that you must never draw more than a couple hundred ma from RX1 or RX2 which is why devices like the Cortex Pro (which actually connect to RX1/Rx2) recommend an additional power connection. There is no such restriction on any off the the other ports. I see no benefit or harm to having a secondary connection to the ECU but is don't believe there is anything related to the Jeti central box that makes such a connection necessary.

As for an issue such as defective throttle cable, such things are pretty easy to detect during maintenance and don't generally develop unless the cable didn't have proper strain relief, etc. Also, if the intermittent connection is the signal lead you could still have a flame out (throttle signal out of bounds) without ever having an issue with the power or ground pins so an extra connection wouldn't help in that regard. As I see it, if you can't trust your basic electrical connections in the aircraft then it basically isn't safe to fly as such an issue can develop with any cable in the plane and most of them could cause far worse than a flame out.
Hi Wayne,
thanks for your clear explanation. I think this idea has done the rounds for a while now.
cheers,
Leon
Old 07-27-2020, 07:46 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Dansy
Wayne, I also don’t see any advantage....since you still have only one Signal input.....and I agree if it’s intermittent then fix it....don’t rubber band it. On the KingTech the ECU is actually power by the RX, the ECU battery is only for the Starter, glow and the fuel pump....
You're correct and thanks for pointing that out. That part of my post was poorly worded. I was really trying to say that powering things like the pump/starter, things that use significant power, already have a dedicated ECU battery and they don't place any additional load on the receivers throttle channel. The actual ECU's power requirements from the receiver itself are pretty minimal. Certainly nothing that requires an extra power connection to share the load with.

Also, in the case of the Jeti Central Box, there is no difference than a regular receiver in this regard as the only ports that have power restrictions (receiver only/no servos) are the Rx1 / Rx2 ports and these aren't involved with the ECU in any way. I got the impression that since there is a recommendation to run extra power to devices such as the Cortex Pro, which actually draw powered from Rx1/Rx2, that people were assuming that you needed to do so to any external device connected to a Central Box and that simply isn't true..
Old 07-27-2020, 08:02 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by wfield0455
You're correct and thanks for pointing that out. That part of my post was poorly worded. I was really trying to say that powering things like the pump/starter, things that use significant power, already have a dedicated ECU battery and they don't place any additional load on the receivers throttle channel. The actual ECU's power requirements from the receiver itself are pretty minimal. Certainly nothing that requires an extra power connection to share the load with.

Also, in the case of the Jeti Central Box, there is no difference than a regular receiver in this regard as the only ports that have power restrictions (receiver only/no servos) are the Rx1 / Rx2 ports and these aren't involved with the ECU in any way. I got the impression that since there is a recommendation to run extra power to devices such as the Cortex Pro, which actually draw powered from Rx1/Rx2, that people were assuming that you needed to do so to any external device connected to a Central Box and that simply isn't true..
Since you mention this for the second time...not related to Telemetry as per say.......It's actually no longer recommended from Aeropanda to run a RX1 and RX2 into the CP port....because of the time delay for the switch over and port 5 not being by-directional......(some of my terms might be wrong) instead run #1 RX into RX1 and the second RX (if not a 900) into the First one....running the 900 if used into RX2.....and of course still the Additional power.....at least thats what i now do because of F1 rocket post on the CP tread.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:13 PM
aaronforth

Why not have a power backup? Will it hurt anything....no...will it possibly prevent a flame out due to a power issue....yes....

I can only suggest tricks...cant persuade people to use them.....
Old 07-27-2020, 11:16 PM
aaronforth

Originally Posted by Dansy
why run 2 RX batteries ? If you dont trust your system fix it ! Dont rubber band it !
Old 07-28-2020, 05:03 AM
wfield0455

Why not have a power backup? Will it hurt anything....no...will it possibly prevent a flame out due to a power issue....yes....

I can only suggest tricks...cant persuade people to use them.....
Your extra cable will prevent power loss but it won't prevent loss of throttle signal. If you lose your throttle signal but not ECU power the ECU will STILL shutdown the turbine as it will think it's lost RC. If the throttle signal either non existent or out of bounds the result is LOST_RC fail safe shut down.

Last edited by wfield0455; 07-28-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:08 AM
Dansy

why run 2 RX batteries ? If you dont trust your system fix it ! Dont rubber band it !
Your confusing things quite a bit....big difference between battery and servo wires......I do have 2 battery’s RX, witch power the CB’s but also power the smoke pump and the electric retracts.....

Using your logic, perhaps you should also double all the servo power? So everything except perhaps telemetry’s........

AND I don’t actually disagree with you...but like I said before feel free to do what you wish, but that doesn’t mean I have to follow suit......maybe your friend should have used a different Servo Clip......But I for one don’t see any advantage....that’s all I said. Case closed!