Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Wing is now one piece!

It was quite a bit of work to get the wing as you see here, from boxing in the wheel well to adding additional bracing.

Close-up detail of the landing gear wheel wells. Before the sheeting can begin I have to sort out how the ailerons will operate...stay tuned, you're going to like this.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Master craftsmanship at it's best!
Old 08-31-2019, 02:01 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Master craftsmanship at it's best!
Thank you Mike!
Old 08-31-2019, 02:16 AM
VincentJ

Retract extension wires (purchased separately from Robart) were run in place.

Note were I chose to to run the extension wire for the retract. I deviated from where the wires are shown on the plans. I much prefer to have the wire run in a part of the wing where there isn't a chance for for fraying or for the retract to tug on the wire during operation.

With the retract wiring completed it's time to run the navigational lights for each wing tip. Each tip will have two separate lights. One color (red, green), depending whether it's left or right along with a white strobe light. Here is the schematic that should clarify things. I think I may have already posted a picture of this schematic earlier...

Here are the two wing tips lights for the right side. It was a snap to fish the wires through the existing rocket tube...

Close-up of were all the wires terminate. I will not drill any exit holes at this point. I will tend to that task after the wing is sheeted, glassed and painted. Doing it this way will ensure the wires wont get in the way or painted.

At this point the wiring for the wing is completed!

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-31-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:10 AM
VincentJ

The wheel wells were painted white now as they are exposed, because after the sheeting is attached it would be very difficult to paint. I mixed a small batch of white Klass Kote Epoxy paint which I brushed on.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:32 PM
GameEngineer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Great work Vince. I wonder if the hard part is trying not to ding the sheeting before flashing.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:01 PM
WhiteH2O

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I just spent way too much time going through this thread and looking at the pictures of amazing craftsmanship. Standards that I can hope to one day come close to matching.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by GameEngineer
Great work Vince. I wonder if the hard part is trying not to ding the sheeting before flashing.
Thank you! It's so hard not to ding anything especially when you have a one piece monster of a wing. If you see areas of filler used on the surface it's usually because of a ding...
Old 09-01-2019, 01:44 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by WhiteH2O
Well I just spent way too much time going through this thread and looking at the pictures of amazing craftsmanship. Standards that I can hope to one day come close to matching.
Thanks for the compliment. While this particular model is reasonably complicated, the methods and building practices that I use can be duplicated by anyone on any model. I'm sure that with a little time and practice the results of your building will be every bit (if not better) as good as mine.

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-01-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:29 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Vincent, I am wondering if you are a master carpenter by trade. My mentor who was a master carpenter by trade was also the most productive builder that I ever knew. He would build a airplane in one week no matter the size of the airplane. He had a friend who was very wealthy and he would show up once a month with a new kit for him to build and he built lot of airplanes over the years! Good work I like how you make it look so easy!
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi Vincent, I am wondering if you are a master carpenter by trade. My mentor who was a master carpenter by trade was also the most productive builder that I ever knew. He would build a airplane in one week no matter the size of the airplane. He had a friend who was very wealthy and he would show up once a month with a new kit for him to build and he built lot of airplanes over the years! Good work I like how you make it look so easy!
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Thanks for the compliment Michael, but to answer your question no. I teach automotive technology in a vocational school, far cry from carpentry!

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-01-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:22 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

But you have such great workmanship and a great attention to detail Vincent! Thank You.
Michael Johnston
Old 09-02-2019, 06:39 AM
VincentJ

Waiting for some parts for the wing, so in the meantime this is where I store it in my small workshop to prevent it from getting dinged.

While waiting, I cleared off my worktable and decided to start to frame up the fuselage.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can't wait for you to begin!

Mike
Old 09-02-2019, 11:55 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I can't wait for you to begin!

Mike
You won't have to wait long Mike...
Old 09-02-2019, 12:09 PM
VincentJ

Construction of the fuselage first requires laminating two 1/8" plywood former's (F1) together with epoxy. This will ultimately become the firewall.

Close-up of the lamination's.

The second former F2, also requires F2D to also be laminated in front of F2.

The plywood had indentations where I drilled two 1/16" holes that will be used to align both parts before glue-up.

The 1/16" drill bits shown align F2 to F2D correctly. Once the epoxy cures, I will enlarge the holes to 5/16" using my drill press. These holes will allow the wing dowels to align to the fuselage.

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-02-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:21 PM
VincentJ

There's a lot of prep work that has to get done before any glue gets spread. All of the die cut plywood Formers were removed from their sheets. The front and rear side of each Former were sanded. Next, I sanded a true 90 degree angle to the bottom edge of each Former so they will sit flat on my build table during assembly. The next step is probably the most critical one. Marking the center line. I transferred the fuselage center line onto each Former.

Each Former's center line was marked. I can't emphasize the importance of this step. When placing the Formers into position, I don't need to worry or look at the sides of each Former, as long as the center line is on point you wont build a banana boat!

Close-up of center line. The center line is there on the plans, use it!!!

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-03-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

WOW! "Instructor" Vincent has come to the party.
I was thinking this was going to be a build thread, not an instructional one. Who knows, we may learn something
Old 09-07-2019, 08:29 AM
VincentJ

Stopped work on the fuselage for now because I have the parts that I was waiting for to complete the wing. I made this custom aluminum aileron bracket that will hold the aileron servo into position.

Back view of the bracket. These brackets are super strong, light and easy to make with just some simple hand tools. I will take them to my shop at school later and glass bead them to give them a nice uniform finish later.

The servo is secured to the bracket using four 2-56 cap head screws and nuts. As I said, these brackets are super strong and I've never had a failure using them in any of my other planes.

Back view. When making these brackets, be sure to leave 1/16" clearance or more between the servo and the bracket to avoid the air-frame's vibration from getting to the servo.

The bay between ribs W-9 and W-10 will support the aileron servo. I want to strengthen these two ribs by laminating 1/16" plywood to their sides.

Here is the blank that just needs a bit more work before I glue it into position.

Blank is now glued and clamped into position.

End result is a much sturdier rib that will not flex.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:19 PM
VincentJ

All of the ribs that support the aileron servos have been laminated with plywood are completed.

I added two slots at the base of the aileron servo brackets, this will allow the bracket to be adjustable. At this point it may not make any sense, but in sort order all will be revealed...
Old 09-07-2019, 04:20 PM
VincentJ

I'm incorporating something that I've never done before in any build. The ailerons are going to operate without any visible linkage. This will be accomplished using a Rotary Drive System (RDS) that has been used by the slope gliding community for some time now. It hasn't been popular in RC scale building, and I'm not really sure why that is. I did a lot of research on the best way to accomplish this task and settled on this method. It was important to my partner Bob and I, as our goal to enter this plane in various scale competitions deduct points for any visible linkages. Not happy with what was on the market for purchase, we decided to make most of the components to fit our needs. Luckily Bob's nephew Scot, is a machinist and made the drive shafts for us! I will be sure to explain the steps involved as well as document each step with pictures to make the process more clear and hopefully brig some attention to this method of actuation...

The servo bracket is bolted to the plywood mount which will get epoxied between the rib bays that I reinforced.

The drive shaft is connected to the splined servo output shaft through a coupler. At this point I'm only trying to determine where the drive shaft will exit the wing's trailing edge.

Using a pencil, I'm marking the exit position of the drive shaft.

The pencil lines indicate the exit position.

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-07-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:38 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I am using a RDS drive on my 1/4 scale Piper Cherokee. rudder and ailerons, works very good. Make sure your pockets are close fitting the driveshaft wire. You can see it here.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:52 PM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by Tony Hallo
I am using a RDS drive on my 1/4 scale Piper Cherokee. rudder and ailerons, works very good. Make sure your pockets are close fitting the driveshaft wire. You can see it here.
Thanks for the post Tony, I read your thread and I really enjoyed it. Great work there my friend and congratulation on your award. Both you and I did the same research on the RDS, I have the same info as well!

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-09-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:31 PM
VincentJ

The adjustable aluminum servo bracket is held to the plywood mount with four 2-56 blind nuts.

The coupler is secured to the servo with your typical servo screw.

This is the driveshaft separated from the coupler. The driveshaft is made using a 1/8" stainless rod pressed into a 1/4" diameter brass end that slides into the coupler and locked in place with a set screw.

Once the drive shaft is inserted into the coupler, it is locked into position with a set screw. Once I determine the exact spot where the driveshaft is in relation with the coupler, I will grind a flat spot which will prevent the drive shaft from rotating inside of the coupler.

With the servo now in position, you can see where the drive shaft exits is right on the mark!

I need the epoxy to cure then I can separate the servo from the bracket and remove the drive shaft.

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-10-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice Aileron setup!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.