Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Learjet .40 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Learjet .40 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learjet .40 Build

also sam im pretty bull headed so once i decide to do this i won't back away from the edf thing i may have edf's on there the size of the good year blimp but I'll try to make it work. to be honest thats the only reason i bought the lear is to try the electric edf on it.
well any ideas you have i would appreciate it
Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: brenthampton79

also sam im pretty bull headed so once i decide to do this i won't back away from the edf thing i may have edf's on there the size of the good year blimp but I'll try to make it work. to be honest thats the only reason i bought the lear is to try the electric edf on it.
Hey no problem there Brant, go ahead and do it, make sure you post on here and we will be watching your experiment. If you succeed then we will follow you but it if it failed then least you also tried it.

I have a feeling these dummy nacelles are bit smaller in size if i were to scale them down, so if that's the case then i will make newer bigger ones and mold them also as i plan to do with cowl of these planes. So there you go maybe your 90mm fan will fit in newer nacelles who knows...hehe
Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: hawkpilot

The tip tanks are finished, tomorrow is either going to be work on the nacelles day, or go to the field day.
Good to see you at the field today! that bird is ready to fly. You might think about changing that prop to an APC 11X6 for your first flights.
Tell me more about the prop you had on it today?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 PM
brenthampton79

sam that would be awsome if they were a little bigger then, i mean were only talking two cm here which isn't that much bigger really, you have me thinking now just throw the 90mm on there with the stock motors and then later experiment with bigger motors and see what she can do, also 5 inches longer ahead of the wing of the fuse to make it more scale, didn't know if you seen my last post on page10 thanks?

I appreciate your support most people have just told me it can't be done and get a foam plane, blah i hate foam stuff its okay for small things like my l-39 but it doesn't look very good though,
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

Brent, I read that you may start this winter. It may be around that time when I start mine too, If I start anything sooner it may just be wing work. I have a dazzler and a cessna 182 in line waiting to be built. I would enjoy bouncing ideas back and forth. Sammy had mentioned before that the stock nacelles were a little small to be scale, so maybe a little bit bigger fan could be used if we were to find a company who could enlarge the nacelles for us, meaning make us a set out of fiberglass complete with access doors to allow work on the motors.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: goliathman

The tip tanks are finished, tomorrow is either going to be work on the nacelles day, or go to the field day.
Good to see you at the field today! that bird is ready to fly. You might think about changing that prop to an APC 11X6 for your first flights.
Tell me more about the prop you had on it today?
It was good to see you too! I hope I find more time to get out there. I cant wait to get it in the air. The prop is an evolution 11x7. After I played with the needle I got 12,450 out of it. What kind of rpm's are you getting out of yours with the 11x6 apc? That was my first experience with the evo props, it was actually pretty quiet.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Hey no problem there Brant, go ahead and do it, make sure you post on here and we will be watching your experiment. If you succeed then we will follow you but it if it failed then least you also tried it.

I have a feeling these dummy nacelles are bit smaller in size if i were to scale them down, so if that's the case then i will make newer bigger ones and mold them also as i plan to do with cowl of these planes. So there you go maybe your 90mm fan will fit in newer nacelles who knows...hehe
Thats funny, as you were typing this message I was typing my message telling brent that you mentioned the nacelles being under scale....good timing
Old 03-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Props4ever

Brent, I read that you may start this winter. It may be around that time when I start mine too, If I start anything sooner it may just be wing work. I have a dazzler and a cessna 182 in line waiting to be built. I would enjoy bouncing ideas back and forth. Sammy had mentioned before that the stock nacelles were a little small to be scale, so maybe a little bit bigger fan could be used if we were to find a company who could enlarge the nacelles for us, meaning make us a set out of fiberglass complete with access doors to allow work on the motors.
Guys,

If i decided to make the newer cowl and nacelles, i will make a plug for it and then make moulds, meaning i will be able to make these parts for anyone who wishes to get them for there GP LJs. Access panels will not be hard to make at all.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM
brenthampton79

yeah pat thats when i plan to build the lear and yes that sound great to be able to bounce ideas back and forth however you guys have got my interest perked up i was wanting to build gp extra 60 before this and a lanier giles 202 25 size and convert it to electric but thats a whole new plan there on the giles, i want to replicate wayne handley's turbo raven and all with reverse thrust in flight like i said thats another can of worms , but i may go ahead and move the lear up in the project list
its hard for me to build in the summer with our business, summer time is pretty much just flying for me not a lot of build time, however in the winters i get plenty of time to increase the collection hahaha, it seems that they just keep multiplying around me hahaha, im threatning to build a full scale plane here in a couple of years or atleast start on it., but it seems my model experiments seem to get in the way of it hahaha
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM
brenthampton79

cool sam how much would you charge for something like that?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM
hawkpilot

sam that would be awsome if they were a little bigger then, i mean were only talking two cm here which isn't that much bigger really, you have me thinking now just throw the 90mm on there with the stock motors and then later experiment with bigger motors and see what she can do, also 5 inches longer ahead of the wing of the fuse to make it more scale, didn't know if you seen my last post on page10 thanks?

I appreciate your support most people have just told me it can't be done and get a foam plane, blah i hate foam stuff its okay for small things like my l-39 but it doesn't look very good though,
Did anyone tell Bob Violette that he could not make his jets edf power? I think it can be done. It is just going to take some deep thought, and work. More work that it is worth? That is a matter of opinion.

quote:

Pat,

If i decided to make the newer cowl and nacelles, i will make a plug for it and then make moulds, meaning i will be able to make these parts for anyone who wishes to get them for there GP LJs. Access panels will not be hard to make at all.
That would be super!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
hawkpilot

yeah pat thats when i plan to build the lear and yes that sound great to be able to bounce ideas back and forth however you guys have got my interest perked up i was wanting to build gp extra 60 before this and a lanier giles 202 25 size and convert it to electric but thats a whole new plan there on the giles, i want to replicate wayne handley's turbo raven and all with reverse thrust in flight like i said thats another can of worms , but i may go ahead and move the lear up in the project list
its hard for me to build in the summer with our business, summer time is pretty much just flying for me not a lot of build time, however in the winters i get plenty of time to increase the collection hahaha, it seems that they just keep multiplying around me hahaha, im threatning to build a full scale plane here in a couple of years or atleast start on it., but it seems my model experiments seem to get in the way of it hahaha

I will probably not have alot of build time this summer for the same reason, my business will also pick up, as will my full time job....but hopefully the business will pick up enough to replace the full time job and free up some plane time.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM
brenthampton79

thats true pat just like people said the sound barrier couldn't be broke, and now look where we are at. I beleive in trial and error i think the 90 mm fans will be the way to go ultimately, i think they will have plenty of power to fly it, it may not be as fast but I beleive it will fly pretty scale though, i've even thought about making the clam shells on mine to have reverse now that will definately take some deep thought but hey i beleive if you are going to do it you might as well go all out and pull out all the stops if you don't you'll just regret it down the road, and since these kits are pretty rare and not produced anymore then I might as well do everything that I want to do to it, one question i have does a lear 35 have spoilers, i know some do?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
brenthampton79

amen to that pat luckily my brothers and my business has picked up in that last year or two and allowed me to quit flying corporate and just fly the airtractor full time now and not worry about having to work all through the winter, now i just do it for fun, what type of business are you in?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Props4ever

Yes Brant Lear 35s have spoilers and some also had blended winglets as on Lear 31s.
Hey it must be fun in corporate jets and then flying tanks as it's called about air tractors/crop dusters.

Here is my update for today, i had to take out all the forward sheeting off and it was cracked pretty badly at few areas and cracks were pretty long!.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92477.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1163926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67581.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1163927  
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Props4ever

cool sam how much would you charge for something like that?
Don't know yet, once i get to that point then i will be able to put a price on them parts.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Props4ever

Opinions on fuselage modifications:

OK both of you tell me where is the best place to cut the fuselage at. I want to keep firewall to F2 section as one unit and re-attach it to new plug. Now what former should i cut it: Right against Former F2 on back side or at F3 against infront of it?

In my opinion location A right behind former F2 is more appropriate Vs F3 since we need more strength in front of the wing.

I have decided to stretch this fuselage by making a separate fuselage 5" plug and adding it on this model. I'm sure by doing this modification this model will be have better weight and balance issue Vs original short fuselage.

Sam
Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Props4ever

Ok we have bit of problem here. I just did the scale down from actual specs of Learjet 35, it's giving me different scale for both fuselage and wing!

Actual Specs:
#
# Length: 48 ft 7 in (14.71 m)
# Wingspan: 39 ft 6 in (11.97m)
# Height: 12 ft 3 in (3.71 mm)
# Wing area: 253.3ft² (23.53m²)

Now the fuselage after the stretch will be 1/10th scale but wing is at 1/8.5 scale!!!!
So this means GP mixed and match this plane and made it suitable for there good flying performance yet it had high weight and balance issues with the way it is!!...

If i was to scale wing at 1/10th as the fuselage, wing should be 47.5" Vs 55" originally from the factory.

So now what to do here?, should i go ahead and add the fuselage plug and carry on with the rebuild or leave it and do stock rebuild , , ,

It won't come to any exact scale anymore due to the way GP designed this model.

Off scale or sports scale yep it's good for those categories only, , , ,
Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 AM
goliathman

[/quote]

It was good to see you too! I hope I find more time to get out there. I cant wait to get it in the air. The prop is an evolution 11x7. After I played with the needle I got 12,450 out of it. What kind of rpm's are you getting out of yours with the 11x6 apc? That was my first experience with the evo props, it was actually pretty quiet.
[/quote]

That rpm sounds good. Why do they use such a beefy piece of ply to hold the fake engines on?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM
hawkpilot

That rpm sounds good. Why do they use such a beefy piece of ply to hold the fake engines on?

It is actually a thin piece of ply sandwiched between two sheets of balsa, the thickness is for scale appearance purposes i believe. If they did make it for strength it is probably due to the speed and the drag placed on the dummy engines.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 AM
hawkpilot

amen to that pat luckily my brothers and my business has picked up in that last year or two and allowed me to quit flying corporate and just fly the airtractor full time now and not worry about having to work all through the winter, now i just do it for fun, what type of business are you in?
We have a pressure washing business, and also a Yoga and Kempo studio.

This will be a good thing working on the edf project at the same time, I too have been trying to think of how to make thrust reversers. I need some pics of them. My dream is of a scale lear with at least 80" span, twin turbine (with reversers), brakes, scale everything. Our strip is not real long so I would like to have a STOL capable jet. You fly corporate....is this jets? Do you have access to snap some pics of the clamshells in open and closed pos.?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Props4ever

OK you two, i'm not going further until you don't answer my questions!. These will effects you guy also down the road so better takecare of them now...
Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 PM
selnjas4ever

Hello again guys, just looking over your forum and you have some nice looking Learjet. I am on the ducted fan fence also trying to decide what size fan/w brushless to use. I am scratch building a Falcon 20 Learjet from my own measurements and plans drawn out on paper. Project is 30 hours into it and long ways to go. This is my first scratch build, so i'm trying to figure out all the little things first. Planning on ducted fans with two esc's and one lipo six servos fixed gear and flaps. Was thinking about two 56mm fans putting out 20 oz thrust each for 40 total not sure if it will be enough??
Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM
goliathman

It is actually a thin piece of ply sandwiched between two sheets of balsa, the thickness is for scale appearance purposes i believe. If they did make it for strength it is probably due to the speed and the drag placed on the dummy engines.
I got ya. I looked at the manual and I see the truth of it!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
brenthampton79

pat and sam, when i said i flew corporate i shoulda said i didn't fly jets i flew twin piston cabin class, I was at the point in my career 26 years old and had to make a choice either continue flying corporate and charter and sign a contract to start flying a turboprop and then move into a jet in a year or so, well i decided to quit and my brother and i took over my dads operation, which he sold his plane and we bought our own which was twice the size his was, he had a 301 and we bought a 502, I then stayed flying the corporate airplanes for a small company, they had a navajo and a malibu mirage that i flew and i flew charter some in a cessna 414, i still fly the cessna in the winters, sorry if i mis led you guys

pat thats cool that you own your own business too, It sure is nice somedays isn't it but theres others when you just wish you didn't have all the responsiblity or atleast i do somedays, mostly when something breaks or gets messed up, nothing like a 50k dollar annual to make you think maybe flying a jet for somebody else would be alot easier hahaha oh well

as for the plug you are saying the wing is 1/8.5 scale right and thats what i have calculated it looks to make the fuse the same scale the fuse would have to be extended 18 inches it looks to me and that would make it scaled with the wings right? i wonder if the height of the fuse is scale? it may be that the fuse is scale replica of the lear and the wing is increased for slower flight speeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.