Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a 10-300 a year or so ago, but unfortunately it didn't last long enough to enjoy it. I'm wondering if anyone here in this forum, who has built one kept the punchouts so they could trace and build another one. Seems the kits are far and few between anymore.

If someone had the outline of the parts, it could easily be scanned or digitized and then a new kit cut.

Anyone out there heard of anyone that has done this? Unfortunately, I was far to novice in my building to have thought of that idea until it was way to late, and most of my scrap is gone.

I'm looking for another sport bipe to build, and the only one I can find that's a 60 size glow is the Sig Hog Bipe.

Last edited by abbott915; 08-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
ThunderBoat42

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you read back through the forum... it's not too far back... there are some who have managed to scan the parts needed. Aluminum gear and glass cowl pants can be ordered from fibertec etc. The canopy is still available from Tower parts I believe. I found and purchased a kit on ebay but ended up, with shipping, paying a total of about $270. One of the guys at our local hobby shop claims to have a few kits tucked away .... I told him there are many who still want them.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM
abbott915

Thanks for the reply, I'll go back through the posts and see what I can find. Didn't think about keeping my canopy, guess there are some things to learn if one of my planes goes down. I did keep the cabans and a couple other bits of hardware. Gotta keep all I can that I might need in the future. Love doing that, I'll end up with a garage full of stuff I'll never need until the week after I toss it!!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:09 PM
peternj
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a post

hello abott, pm me your email and I'll send you a PDF pack I put together for rebuilding the ultmiate
Old 08-11-2013, 04:18 PM
peternj

ok Gang... so I finally got my Super Tiger tuned so it can fly the ultimate w/o dying. Thank you for the suggestions on restricting the slimline pitts muffler. I had a friend tig weld the openings shut and re-drilled with 3/16 holes. The engine runs great and needs some more minor low end tweaking but I finally had my re-maiden flight and two others today!!! The plane flew great but here are some behaviours i observed and would like some input.

1) I needed to remove my fuling valve and cowl, for some reason the ST S90k wouldn't run with it, so I'm going to have a third line to the tank for fueling with a fuel dot. Did anyone have any issues with a fueling valve before, this is a frist for me, and the valve is above the carb.
2) I have a smoker system with a 6oz smoke supply with an electric pump. The fuel tank and smoke tank are side by side with the smoke pump and throtle server behind them with throtle servo. Can anyone suggest better placement for the smoker fuel tank and pump? I'm also thinking of using LIFE batteries to save weight. The plane doesn't snap up like I thought it would with the standard setup so I'm thinking it may be nose heavy.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Mudduc

hello All
I just joined up with the RC Universe. I've been out of the hobby for a while and lookin to get back in. i noticed that a few of the hobby stores near me have ether closed or are on their way which is kind of heart breaking. Also a few of my favorite planes have been discontinued which really sucks. One of them being the Ultimate 10-300! I cant be-leave it. that was a really great kit. Most of the Goldberg models where and there almost all discontinued. I would really like to get one and was hoping that maybe some one here might have one that they are selling. i would be eternally thankful to anyone that could help. i seen that the Super Chipmunk is still out there so ill be scooping one or maybe 2 of them up asap.
Thanks
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
abbott915

Peternj, I sent you a PM

Last edited by abbott915; 08-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 AM
ameyam

Hi,

I haven't been into bipes till very recently. Is this kit still available as kit or plans?

Ameyam
Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Mudduc

At this point i would be happy with just the plans
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM
ameyam

So does anyone have the plans?

Ameyam
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
peternj

muddoc, ameyam

pm me your emails and I'll send a packet over like I did for abott....

Also does anyone have any comments on my questions whit the elevator having a slugish response, would that be caused by a nose heavy plane?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by peternj
Also does anyone have any comments on my questions whit the elevator having a slugish response, would that be caused by a nose heavy plane?
Yes a nose heavy plane can give you a sluggish elevator response...If your fuel/smoke tanks are located in the stock location (nose) I imagine it's more pronounced with a full fuel load, then as the fuel burns off it gets better...Right??

I remember this from 25 years ago...I put a big fuel tank in my bipe and when the tank was located in the stock location, if I had to land early (with lots of fuel) I wouldn't even have enough elevator response to flair!!

I initially balanced the plane (empty) and got the CG correct per the blueprint. I took for granted the effect that the larger (20oz) fuel tank would have. It took me a while to figure out what was happening but I finally realized the weight of the extra fuel was making it nose heavy and sluggish...I noticed as the fuel burned off it was better. I imagine this is similar to what you are experiencing??

I have a YS 1.20 engine which has a pressurized fuel system which enables me to move the tank back so it now resides in the wing saddle area and the CG does not change based on fuel load...

You should be able to do the same thing by adding a perry pump...I'm not very familiar with Super Tiger engines so you may want to research how they do with the perry pump...I would imagine with the nice carburetors Super Tigers have it would be fine...This would give you the freedom to mount your fuel tank over the CG...I do this on all my planes but I'm using all pumped engines (either YS or old OS pattern engines)

I've been flying the snot out of my bipe recently and am really loving it, it snaps like a maniac!!

Last edited by Atlanta 60; 08-13-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 PM
peternj

One more question about the CG, which I think I may have got wrong. Manual states that it's 1 7/8 - 2 2/8 inches off the leading edge at the fuselage. I measured 1 7/8 off leading edge and marked those points as my CG, Reading the manual over and over I begining to think that the CG is measured off the leading edge where it meets the fuselage. Is that the case?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

One more question about the CG, which I think I may have got wrong. Manual states that it's 1 7/8 - 2 2/8 inches off the leading edge at the fuselage. I measured 1 7/8 off leading edge and marked those points as my CG, Reading the manual over and over I begining to think that the CG is measured off the leading edge where it meets the fuselage. Is that the case?
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga0053.html
(Look to the left of the page "Center of Gravity")

1 7/8 to 2 7/8...Looks like it's at the fuse and "balanced upside down"...Huh, I never saw that in my manual..

I scaled the print for CG and balanced mine upright, now you have me thinking and I'm gonna go re-check my plane too...I'm not changing anything as it's flying awesome but now I'm curious...I never saw the CG numbers in the manual so I went off the print, I also never saw the notation to balance it upside down...

BTW...I was thinking maybe you could move your smoke tank back over the CG as I'm sure it has a pump...The benefit would be that you will not notice a change in CG as your smoke oil is burned off...

Edit: My plane is balanced at 3" (maybe 3/18) from the leading edge of the lower wing at the fuselage (inverted)...Just my opinion but if your at 1 7/8, I think you could stand to go further aft towards the 2 7/8 mark...My plane flies great where it's at with no bad tendencies...

Last edited by Atlanta 60; 08-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM
abbott915

Hello everyone,

Just back from my club meeting and I have a NIB Ultimate if anyone needs anything traced or information.

peternj was nice enough to send the pdf package of the parts, so if there is anything missing or if there is anything to complete the package, please let me know.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 PM
peternj

Atlanta60,

My bad, you are right it's not in the manual but the old Carl Goldberg site for the kit states the CG at 1 7/8 to 2 7/8 at the fuselage http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga0053.html

The manual for the kit does not state it but the manual for the ARF states the same as does the spec page http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gbga1053.html

If you're at 3" then I am way off.... I measured at the center of the wing which throws my CG off by another inch, even with out the smoker it would be nose heavy....

I feel better after you re-confirmed that your CG is at 3" w/o bad tendencies.... because when I flew my CGU it seemed like it was running at of elevator, and that explains everything.... incidentally I moved the smoker tank over the CG as stated on the spec sheet and balanced the plane at 2 7/8 mark.... will let you know how it flies after I take it out...
Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM
PMSchuessler

OK On the way to a new Ultimate! Send me a brotherhood number when you get a chance! Paul
Old 08-14-2013, 01:36 PM
PMSchuessler

By the way has anyone flown the Ultimate with a DLE 20? What do you think? Paul
Old 08-14-2013, 05:27 PM
peternj

hey guys there is an ultimate for sale at http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=931482 and at RC Groups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...goldberg+ultim

it's the same guy, 185 is a steal for the first gen die cut kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 PM
peternj

Abott, is there a way you can trace the landing gear and cabane patterns so I can add them to the packet. Also for those building from plans fiberglass specialties has the cowl, canopty, and pants for CG Ultimate kit 53.

Another options is to get the seagull models ultimate 90 cowl, canopt, and pants... it should be a very close fit.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM
abbott915

peternj,

You bet, I'll dig into the box if I have time this weekend. I'll get a full size tracing of the parts and also type of material and thickness also, basically complete dimensions so someone could reproduce them in kind.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Killionaire

Is this plane difficult to build?
Why are you guys using the DLE 20 for this? Is it price, performance, or both?
I was planning on using a 4 stroke OS 120 glow engine.
I love the way 4 stroke OS engines sound.

Last edited by Killionaire; 08-15-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Mudduc

I just picked up a kit today! Sweet! Can I be part of the brotherhood now?? Please
Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM
punkindrublik

hello abott, pm me your email and I'll send you a PDF pack I put together for rebuilding the ultmiate
Ooh, could I get that PDF as well?? I'm just starting my third CG Ultimate and was going to create my own, but you could save me a TON of work!
PM on the way...

Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 PM
punkindrublik

hey guys there is an ultimate for sale at http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=931482 and at RC Groups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...goldberg+ultim

it's the same guy, 185 is a steal for the first gen die cut kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw that. I got mine from RCG for $180 shipped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.