Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

What would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
weathervane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you have done?

Ok, What would you have done?

I drive a float in a 4th of July parade. It is a day cab tractor with a 45ft drop deck trailer. I have a High School band onboard. 15-20 kids plus the band instructor and principal. It was a smooth parade the band sounded great. With about 50 yards to go, four 17-19 year olds decided it would be a good idea to spray silly string in the window of the cab on the driver's side. Silly string OK no harm, BUT they got me in the face and got my wife in the passenger seat. I had to stop because I could not see.
I decided to get out and tell the young men (I use this term loosly) how childish it was and how much danger they could have put everyone in. Now I did not lay a hand on anyone. I just expressed how mad I was.
Would you have gotten out and said anything or grinned and beared it?

-Andrew
Old 07-07-2008, 05:04 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What would you have done?

They wouldn't need to worry about me driving next year.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
weathervane

This is the float I drive. Kids and all.

-Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17251.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	985808  
Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they needed to taste the back of your hand![sm=punching.gif]
Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 PM
chashint

You did about all you could do.
If you had whacked one of them you would have been arrested.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:32 PM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

kids prank what are you gonna do? if you took the silly string and sprayed them youd be in jail for assault? if you crashed from what happened youd loose your licence. if you hurt somebody because you couldnt see youd be neglegent. if youd stayed at home it wouldnt have happened. so next year when there is nobody to drive remember you loose no matter what you do these days. what happened to the good old days when there was accountability for what you did instead of liability for what you didnt do.
i would have gotten out and put the can of silly string someplace not so silly but then i would be the one in trouble? what can you do these days without getting in trouble.
you did the best thing you could have done without getting yourself in trouble.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not have the kid charged with assult?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 PM
outdoorhunting

Sounds a little extreme, but I definitly agree with vicman. It shouldn't be to late to do it!!! If you don't, what will be next? Rocks? The little jerks need to be taught a lesson !!! That could've been a major accident!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Bass1

Good think you weren't smoking. I once saw a person's entire head catch fire when he was sprayed in the face with silly string while smoking a cigarette.[:@] That stuff use to be highly flammable. Not sure if the formula has changed or not.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 AM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Nice Rig! Your parading of the band is a very fine contribution to your community!
Might have been a few dunces that flunked band, and wanted to rattle the event via the float?
Maybe the culprits can be identified by one of the people on the float? My opinion is an act like that (endangering children) is to be addressed.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
forrest225

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Good think you weren't smoking. I once saw a person's entire head catch fire when he was sprayed in the face with silly string while smoking a cigarette.[:@] That stuff use to be highly flammable. Not sure if the formula has changed or not.
It still is. It makes a nice flamethrower LOL
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I think I would have called over a parade official and looked into charging the kids. The problem with our society today, we let everyone get away with everything. Since it was a school float, the school might be able to involved too.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Wow, you guys are so quick to anger on this. Yeah kids can be stupid, but you have to remember, you were a kid once and just as stupid

In this current society, kids need to see forgiveness MUCH more than they need violence.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

wow, thats a pretty low opinion of people..... we were all stupid enough at one point to shoot something (ANYthing) into the cab of a truck that was driving around a lot of people, not to mention students on the back?

Sure, kids need forgiveness much more than violence, but I think most kids need responsibility WAY more then they need forgiveness. If the guy had jumped out of his truck and proceded to beat all of the kids into submission, that would have been wrong... and your comment about violence would make sense... But what we have here is people wanting to see these kids held responsible for what was basically endangerment. Forgive me for being blunt, but to me, the idea that being held resposnible for your actions is the same thing as violence is about as stupid as you can get.

What I see is a society of kids who were shown so much forgiveness, as adults they regularly screw over other people and dont even notice or care. (forgive me, but I was just out driving...)

also just have to ask, if these were adults who had had a drink or 2 before pulling this stunt, do you suppose theyd be out of jail yet?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
tmproff

There is a huge difference between ignorance and forgiveness.

If a child is taught the meaning of forgiveness, they will not need to be disciplined so much (there is definitely a need for discipline dont get me wrong). Forgiveness teaches responsibility. THAT is the root cause for our society going into the dumps in a nutshell.

We need to protect our children, but we still need to let kids be kids...It's a difficult line to walk I understand.

Reacting with anger will only teach them to be angry....

Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Bass1

This incident mirrors the basic stupidity of the current "Fire in the Hole" prank that's becoming popular with a growing number of common sense challenged individuals looking for a thrill. They pull up to a drive through pick up window in a fast food restaurant and when the poor server opens the window he or she gets a cup of coffee, soft drink or in some cases a pepper spray or fire cracker facial while the perpetrator screams "Fire in the Hole!!" The occupants of the vehicle get a good laugh while the person that gets the bath or explosion is horrified not knowing what substance, chemical or projectile was just hurled in their face.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM
tmproff

Now THAT's a totally different story........I dont think the kids on the float were out to harm the driver
Old 07-08-2008, 05:36 PM
weathervane

Thanks for the responce everyone. I was thinking that I had over reacted a bit. I found out after the parade that a glass bottle had been tossed onto the trailer.
I have two kids myself. 6 and 2, if they ever pull a stunt like this I think I would feel like I failed as a parent. There is a fine line between letting kids express them selfs and just letting them run wild. Trust me I know, I have been there. And I'm proud of where I am today.

Thanks for your support,
Andrew
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: tmproff

Forgiveness teaches responsibility.
I could not disagree much more on this. Forgiveness CAN teach compassion, but doesnt always. Responsibilty is learned by having to accept the consequences of our actions. Let them walk all over you and forgive them, and see if they dont turn right around and do it again.

ORIGINAL: tmproff

Reacting with anger will only teach them to be angry....
Im not talking about beating someone up, or putting them in jail, but there has to be a cost. The kind of person who would do something like that for fun wont stop because you explain "forgiveness" to them, they just laugh at you behind your back. If a stupid stunt is fun to them, and costs them nothing, WHY would they ever stop?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
tmproff

Im not talking about beating someone up, or putting them in jail, but there has to be a cost
Unfortunatly, it doesn't start with beating someone up. It starts with a child learning how to react to circumstances they are subjected to. They do that by watching their parents and others around them.

weathervane, I totally respect your last response.

I'm done here
Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
skyraider71

My dad was a drill sargent in the army. If I had done something like that,
I would've gotten a size 12 combat boot on the butt!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:57 PM
outdoorhunting

If kids new their parents would kick their butts, they wouldn't have done it. A little fear is good. When I was growing up,I knew my Dad loved me, but I also knew, if I did something stupid, I'd get my butt busted. Most of the younger parents now days think they have to be their kids " best friend" and that's fine, but the kids need to have just a little fear.. I'm not trying to get anything started, It's my personal opinion !!!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM
pcm
My Feedback: (13)

I agree with outdoorhunting 100%!

I would add something to what outdoor has said but he really has said it best.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: BadSplice

wow, thats a pretty low opinion of people..... we were all stupid enough at one point to shoot something (ANYthing) into the cab of a truck that was driving around a lot of people, not to mention students on the back?

Sure, kids need forgiveness much more than violence, but I think most kids need responsibility WAY more then they need forgiveness. If the guy had jumped out of his truck and proceded to beat all of the kids into submission, that would have been wrong... and your comment about violence would make sense... But what we have here is people wanting to see these kids held responsible for what was basically endangerment. Forgive me for being blunt, but to me, the idea that being held resposnible for your actions is the same thing as violence is about as stupid as you can get.

What I see is a society of kids who were shown so much forgiveness, as adults they regularly screw over other people and dont even notice or care. (forgive me, but I was just out driving...)

also just have to ask, if these were adults who had had a drink or 2 before pulling this stunt, do you suppose theyd be out of jail yet?

My specialty growing up in northern New Hampshire was throwing snowballs at cars. Man there was nothing like the sound of a loud "thud" of a baseball size snowball into the side of a car! Then run like "h_LL! But that was 40 years ago. With that tractor rig of yours, be mighty tempting for me today!

Next year, be ready for them with some pepper spray! Or compressed air water spray.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Bass1

My specialty growing up in norther New Hampshire was throwing snowballs at cars. man there was nothing like the loud "thud" of a baseball size snowball into the side of a car! The run like "h_LL!
Ahh... Remember that sound like it was yesterday!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.