Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Fix Aerobird Extreme or invest in a different bird?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Fix Aerobird Extreme or invest in a different bird?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 05:49 AM
Deano440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix Aerobird Extreme or invest in a different bird?

As seems to be a common problem my EBX lost all control response on it’s maiden voyage and smashed into the ground it now needs a new main wing and tail, the battery did eject but doesn’t seem to have caused any further damage. I then decided to give a commander a go rather than repairing the EBX and all went well until the wind picked up slightly and what ever I did the commander could not fight against it.

I think I would prefer a plane with a least 3 channels so that with the elevator I stand a chance against the wind, so the EBX would be fine but I do not want to spend more money on it if the problem is going to persist. I have never flown RC planes before but have flown heli’s for a few years and didn’t find the EBX too much of a problem before it failed, but while I was getting a feel for things I didn’t want anything any quicker than the EBX so thought the F27 may not be ideal.

So should I fix my EBX and can I prevent this from happening again, or can anybody recommend a plane that may be a better investment? I don’t mind spending more money if it is going to be reliable and will fly reasonable well in wind, I think I may have been a little spoilt as my heli will fly in almost any wind conditions.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 AM
r/c funflyer

Default RE: Fix Aerobird Extreme or invest in a different bird?

take it to a rc shop dont go wasting your money on another plane that you might crash again
Old 02-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Troglotech

Return the plane to the supplier, they should happily replace it FOC as the ABX has had quite a poor reputation with reliability. I have had two ABX's (from Wonderland Models via Helgar distribution), they both lost RC control at a few yards out and came down heavily causing damage. Both were replaced with no problems.

However, I would recommend carrying out all the mods (can be found on this Forum) to the ABX before your next flight as it will be more likely to survive the next crash. I would also recommend practicing on the Commander a little more until you get used to flying in different conditions. The Commander is pretty good in winds up to 10MPH, it won't cope with much more.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:33 PM
vidpokbob

Guess I must be lucky with mine right now, because this is THE plane right now for me. I was ready to give up on flying (only been at it for about 1-1/2 months), but then i bought the ABX and it's nothing but great times. I have gone down once, but that was my fault because I did not re-trim after a bumpy landing; all that needed replacing was the tail assembly (and now I keep an extra in case I brain-freeze again). Otherwise, with the 1800mAh stock battery and a spare and still all stock set-up, I get from 10-12 minutes of flying even with some gusts (but still nothing above 7-8 mph until I get better at this).

I did have some problems starting out in the default mode (Sport). Once I tried Pro, I had plenty of elevator (in fact, I almost stalled a few times). I followed the instruction book's advice about adjusting the tail screws so that I can give it just a smidge of up so that when I go cross-wind or turn directly into the wind, I won't get knocked down too much and also won't get pushed up into a stall.

You need to do what you feel is right, but this plane has been nothing but kind to me.