Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

using rudder

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using rudder

hi
i want to start using rudder on my turns ,i would like to mix ali to rudder what % should i mix the rudder in at ,i know that when i take off and land i need to shut off the switch ,thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12319.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	1878939  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: using rudder

For most airplanes this is not needed, I suggest that if you want to coordinate your turns simply add rudder manually.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is simply not allowed. Please do not ask about it again. 10 to 15% percent would be a good starting point but I do not believe this would be legal at most flying fields. You should probably contact AMA directly, or SFA if need be.

Kurt
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rye many types of airplanes can indeed benefit from a mild Aileron to Rudder mix. It most often is the high wing cabin types and for those I would recommend also around 10 to 15% and contrary to what you think it does not have to be done through a switch and not necessary to switch off for landing.

That is a lovely tiger you have there. That airplane is a good example of a type that there is really no benefit or use for that mix however. So if that is the subject airplane as mentioned you are better off without it and of course do experiment with using the rudder manually, its fun.

John
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

This is simply not allowed. Please do not ask about it again. 10 to 15% percent would be a good starting point but I do not believe this would be legal at most flying fields. You should probably contact AMA directly, or SFA if need be.

Kurt

Pardon my thoughts, however your above statement, if really aimed at "rye", then you, IMO, are an "airplane-driver", and not a PILOT !!! You must really be acting in jest!.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

It is really best to use rudder manually before using a mix. There is nothing wrong with using mixes to make airplanes fly a little 'better', but that is personal preference, and you should understand how much rudder YOU want mixed in, and when you want it.

Using a mix is not 'free' - it might help with turns, but it will affect the airplane in other ways that you may not want. A roll, for example. You input aileron to roll the plane, but your mix is adding in rudder, so you get a barrel roll instead. Or when landing, you might want some wind corrections with aileron and elevator w/o rudder.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Kurt

Pardon my thoughts, however your above statement, if really aimed at "rye", then you, IMO, are an "airplane-driver", and not a PILOT !!! You must really be acting in jest!.
Good one..LOL

I've been around enough to have read many of Bozarth's post, and yes, I believe he is jesting, in part. His harmlessly sarcastic and implied point is the same others have mentioned and is a valid one IMHO: ....... Add rudder manually if you want to learn how to use the rudder, using a mix will not teach you anything and really won't be desirable on the Tiger in the picture or the Edge standing up in the background.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:43 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You should never mix rudder to aileron! Why? Because in many maneuvers rudder to aileron mix destroys the way the plane behaves in th air,the way manuvers is done! Take for instance a slow roll or "hammer head". If you try to execute those manuvers with a mix of rudder and aileron you wÃ*ll not be satiesfied in how your plane behaves.
Rudder or any other stick movement should be done seperately....It's so easy!
Old 05-04-2013, 03:38 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Jan, never say never,, if you have an airframe with adverse yaw tendencies, then that is the time to use it if someone chooses to trim their plane that way. It all depends on the airframe. With a Tiger,, I agree it's surely not needed.

Who let the AMA Section guys out of their cages anyway??
Old 05-04-2013, 04:39 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the rudder manually. With experience you'll make a decision as to what you want to do. Personally, I don't mix anything. I think it's more fun to actually have to make the flight control inputs myself! Nothing more fun than crabbing a Cub down the runway rolling one wheel, lifting, crabbing the other way and then rolling the other wheel. Can't do that if you mix stuff!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:46 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Use the rudder manually. With experience you'll make a decision as to what you want to do. Personally, I don't mix anything. I think it's more fun to actually have to make the flight control inputs myself! Nothing more fun than crabbing a Cub down the runway rolling one wheel, lifting, crabbing the other way and then rolling the other wheel. Can't do that if you mix stuff!
Why not?? The rudder still works when you mix in a little offset. you guys make it sound like if you have a mix the rudder it will no longer respond to the rudder stick movement,, all it does is adjust the trim position slightly.. The rudder still works.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The tendency for newer pilots is to go straight to mixes in an effort to make flying easier when simply building your thumb skills works so much better. After all, you're not talking about some sensitive move where the rudder application has to be perfect. You're just talking about coordinating your turns (something your instructor should have had you doing before you ever even learned to land). Mixes are handy for things that are hard to get right using thumb mixing such as adding some elevator to your rudder so that knife edge flight goes straight or putting some rudder or elevator (or both) with throttle to make vertical uplines go straight. But anybody can coordinate turns and the added benefit of doing it manually is that you get to use the amount of rudder you need. That will improve your control in the wind and make landing approaches a lot easier to get right.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Kurt

+1

Old 05-04-2013, 06:46 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"This is simply not allowed. Please do not ask about it again"

?????????????????

Not allowed by whom??????? I don't know of any model airfield that dictates how you achieve control of your airplane.

Rye. You should really not rely on mixes. In a panic situation you WILL forget to flip a switch.

Les
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

rye nothing wrong with trying a mix BUT PUT IT ON A SWITCH.

Try 50% rudder and take off without it being active. Get three mistakes high, switch it in and see how the plane behaves. Switch it out before landing. Mess around with different mixes.

I suspect that you will find that you don't want rudder mixed with ailerons on that model BUT YOU MIGHT WANT AILERONS MIXED WITH RUDDER if you are trying to get perfect stall turns.

Here are two models I used to fly where rudder and aileron combined either through a mix or manually was needed to get pretty looking non skidded turns. I am used to using the rudder as I fly as play with 3D aerobatics a lot but for a relaxed day flying either of these I had a mix set up and used it most of the time. But it was fun to switch it out on the Stampe and using crossed controls to get it to side slip into a landing kicking it straight at the last moment. The glider needed rudder in turns and if I was flying in marginal lift conditions it was more efficient flown that way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25516.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1878999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38905.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1879000  
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I have been doing it on some of my warbirds at about 10% for awhile like the way they turn, but would not do it with fun flyers like the tiger two,
Old 05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
thepamster

Rye, Don't bother with mixes. Everytime you turn your plane right or left just apply your rudder slightly into the turn every time you turn your plane to see how it responds. After you do this a number of times it will become habit and you will add, mix, the amount of rudder needed to complete the turn. As has been said some planes benefit from this more than others. It is good to learn though either way.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 AM
stevegauth30

The only planes I use a mix on are bigger warbirds. I, like most learned the rudder by just experimenting a bit. It's the only way to learn. Good luck.steve.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
i want to start using rudder on my turns ,i would like to mix ali to rudder what % should i mix the rudder in at ,i know that when i take off and land i need to shut off the switch ,thanks
This is just my opinion, based upon observation, that most RC pilots don't know how to use rudder, if they do at all. They are commonly referred to "yank and bank" flyers. I learned old school techniques on a three channel trainer that had only rudder control. My advice is to seek out an instructor who can teach you all about making coordinated turns.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 AM
stevegauth30

Well, that's about the best advice yet. Darn, why didn't I think to say it. Lol.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 AM
thepamster

If you already know how to fly there is no need for an instructor to teach you how to coordinate turns. Learn by doing in my opinion.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

yeah my thumbs automatically add rudder. I was flying an indoor plane that was only 3ch (no ailerons, rudder on right stick) and my left thumb was still doing what it always does out of habit. It becomes second nature.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''This is simply not allowed. Please do not ask about it again''

?????????????????

Not allowed by whom??????? I don't know of any model airfield that dictates how you achieve control of your airplane.

Rye. You should really not rely on mixes. In a panic situation you WILL forget to flip a switch.

Les
Bozarth was kidding, joking.........attempting to be funny. I thought it was funny.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:57 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mixing rudder and aileron is right out of the book by one of the RC flight instruction companies. It is controversial as you can see. If you are going to always fly right side up and never perform any aerobatic maneuvers, you can get away with doing this.

I suggest that a better method would be to just learn to fly and add some rudder manually in the turns... you will see a better turn as you get better with the rudder. Then when you are ready, you will be able to use the rudder to knife edge and fly inverted. The rudder/Aileron mix is so one purpose, that I would recommend just learning to fly properly in the first place. You might even want to try a three channel aircraft with rudder only.. (put control on left stick). There are no rules about this... you are the pilot, you control and ard responsible for anything that happens with your aircraft. Helicopter pilots are pretty good on the rudder stick... as they have to use the rudder.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Mixing rudder and aileron is right out of the book by one of the RC flight instruction companies. It is controversial as you can see. If you are going to always fly right side up and never perform any aerobatic maneuvers, you can get away with doing this.

I suggest that a better method would be to just learn to fly and add some rudder manually in the turns... you will see a better turn as you get better with the rudder. Then when you are ready, you will be able to use the rudder to knife edge and fly inverted. The rudder/Aileron mix is so one purpose, that I would recommend just learning to fly properly in the first place. You might even want to try a three channel aircraft with rudder only.. (put control on left stick). There are no rules about this... you are the pilot, you control and ard responsible for anything that happens with your aircraft. Helicopter pilots are pretty good on the rudder stick... as they have to use the rudder.
Amen on chopter pilots and rudder management. I taught myself to fly helicopters and rudder is not optional.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.