Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RCU vs RCTech.net?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 10:26 AM
TheRailroadBull

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCU vs RCTech.net?

So, i've been a rctech.net user for... meh... probably about 15 years... and it seems like every year, it gets more and more annoying. The moderators there seem to be on the geekiest power trip of all time, and seem to jump on every little thing users do, especially in regards to innocent folks who post about an issue in the wrong place... because they have LIVES, and didn't first quit their jobs to spend DAYS reading THOUSANDS of pages in hopes of maybe finding an answer. I must not be alone in this feeling either, as it seems that members visiting that forum have SHARPLY dropped in recent years. My question is... and please be honest... is RCU the same type of deal? Do the Mods view themselves as elite Gods and drain the fun out of the hobby? Or is it more peaceful here.... where people don't hesitate to post or speak about an issues for fear of being publically shamed? Cause if this site operates like RCTech, then my search will continue to find a more free and welcoming environment. Thanks guys!

To the Mods: I originally posted this in "RC Clubhouse". I tried to delete the original post, but I didn't see an option for that. I did not purposely double post.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Behave and you will never hear from a mod. Break the rules and you will be warned and or moderated accordingly.

If you post something in the wrong place chances are we will just move it and tell you it got moved.
The following 2 users liked this post by BarracudaHockey:
bill_delong (05-04-2022), TheRailroadBull (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:07 AM
TheRailroadBull

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Behave and you will never hear from a mod. Break the rules and you will be warned and or moderated accordingly.

If you post something in the wrong place chances are we will just move it and tell you it got moved.
Oh, the raunchy or aggressive moderating is 100% something I support. I was referring more to the folks posting a question on a thread with 100's to 1000's of responses, and then when some newbie comes along, and innocently asks a question that's been covered, a moderator would publicly reprove them, and then suggest they were somehow lazy or in the wrong for not reading through the hundreds or THOUSANDS of posts (DAYS worth of reading in some instances), in the off chance of having their simple question answered. I have seen SO many new users just disappear after being treated like dirt for NOTHING. It's sad. I think the RC hobby attracts many folks who maybe aren't the most social types... I mean... i'm almost 40 now... but I know when I really got into it 25 years ago, it was because I was going through a lot, and our hobby was something that could take my mind off my medical and emotional stresses. I felt unrelateable. I can only imagine how many kids have left RCtech feeling like they didn't belong there either... and I just plain don't support that type of stuff...
Old 05-04-2022, 11:28 AM
BarracudaHockey

Nah, I ain't got time for all that.
The following users liked this post:
TheRailroadBull (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 06:35 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a single moderator on RCU come off as rude or on a power trip, there are couple moderators on RCTech which I don't feel should be moderators.

Unfortunately, the activity for cars, (specifically race grade) is very low here on RCU. I continue to participate where I feel I can help here as much as I can, but general activity on almost all the forums has been down since Facebook (FB) took over which I don't understand... there is no way to track posts easily on FB, so sharing information is like seeing the same questions every day to the point where I've started to unsubscribe from many groups and focus more on the race info pages instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by bill_delong:
1QwkSport2.5r (05-05-2022), TheRailroadBull (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 07:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I was on RCTech for awhile, but had my account removed for the same reasons mentioned here. The users are rude, the moderators clearly play favorites, and any opinion that doesn’t align with the rest of the user base gets flamed to high hell. With the forum being predominantly racers, the attitude is driven more to the racers and less to the new guys who are usually bashers to start with. RCU has always been a great forum. The moderators are fair and reasonable, and the users don’t have the chip on their shoulders.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1QwkSport2.5r:
bill_delong (05-05-2022), TheRailroadBull (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:34 AM
TheRailroadBull

Originally Posted by bill_delong
I don't think I've ever seen a single moderator on RCU come off as rude or on a power trip, there are couple moderators on RCTech which I don't feel should be moderators.

Unfortunately, the activity for cars, (specifically race grade) is very low here on RCU. I continue to participate where I feel I can help here as much as I can, but general activity on almost all the forums has been down since Facebook (FB) took over which I don't understand... there is no way to track posts easily on FB, so sharing information is like seeing the same questions every day to the point where I've started to unsubscribe from many groups and focus more on the race info pages instead.
<---- Same.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

I came here from rcg and flying giants for similar reasons. Put it like this....Ididn't know Cuda was a mod even and I have a short temper.
its not that its lax, but we are expected to be adults, if it escalates, he'll drop the hammer.
I'm sure he's not the only mod. Heck, cuda helps more than he interferes, my experience, at least.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 05-05-2022 at 12:09 PM.
TheRailroadBull (06-07-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:21 PM
Txmustangflyer

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I was on RCTech for awhile, but had my account removed for the same reasons mentioned here. The users are rude, the moderators clearly play favorites, and any opinion that doesn’t align with the rest of the user base gets flamed to high hell. With the forum being predominantly racers, the attitude is driven more to the racers and less to the new guys who are usually bashers to start with. RCU has always been a great forum. The moderators are fair and reasonable, and the users don’t have the chip on their shoulders.
Damn, sounds like rcg and flyinggiants even more. They run by the same folks?
I'm permanently banned from rcg. Was nearly so on flyinggiants, because the so called engine gods didn't agree with my approach to wanting to spin a scale(ish) 4 blade prop. Apparently, they could not, simply, understand that when certain things are done to a gas 2 cycle, you can get more power.
The resulting trolling from them, lack of action by mods, and me, ultimately, losing my temper (their goal) led to my demise. God forbid someone do something they don't think is right or will work...go figure.
RCU mods don't play favorites.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey

That being said, this isn't RCG or FG so lets keep the topic about RCU

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by BarracudaHockey:
bill_delong (05-05-2022), TheRailroadBull (06-07-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Txmustangflyer

I was kinna tryin..(ducks)

No hammerin needed (grin)
Old 05-07-2022, 02:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I think the morale of the story is RCU is a much better place to be.
TheRailroadBull (06-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 06:16 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

rctech is full of inconsistent moderation, blowhard cutthroat racers, and racing content. RCU is full of span, dust, and the occasional passer through. at this point trying to figure out which RC forum to use is like trying to figure out which testicle you'd like to be kicked in.

Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 05-07-2022 at 06:26 PM.
kistner (10-28-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:17 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I wish I was around during RC forum heyday. I've been into, and around RCs for a few years () and only stumbled into RCU around 2014. It was said to be dead back then. I am more of a person who likes to try and keep up with the hobby (with all the twists and turns happening... it's impossible), but I'll jump in and help with the hobby when I think I can. I know enough about "bashing"/racing RCs, and what's involved while doing so to get me into trouble .

I like a good read just as much as the next person, and sometimes a person will join in just to be a troll. Is it good, or bad? It certainly gets things going at times, and making for an interesting turn of events. Oh, how I love (sarcasm) following an RC vehicle specific thread and then it turns into a muti-page servo brand testing LiPo battery charging best fly strip you can use debate.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:56 AM
suburban_hooligan

i was on the RCCA forum and another forum (can't remember the name at the moment) that merged with his forum back in the heyday. you could ask a question in the late afternoon, come back 24 hours later and your thread was on page 2 and 3 pages long. it was crazy. RCCA even had a chat that would absolutely go off! there could be 50 or 60 people in there on a busy night. i remember a few times it was moving so fast you couldn't even read it. it turned into people shouting out brand names, locations, and what cars they head.
the upside was involvement and everyone pretty much new there ish. the down side was it was all words, not a hole lot of people had a digital camera back then and video was almost unheard of.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:13 AM
Txmustangflyer

Forums like this..I look on FB and rc has kinda feagmented, in a sort, lots of groups by state.

Its good to be talking to people who are kinda local, that you may or may not run inyo at an event..

The bad is it limits the knowledge pool.

Building my P51, I was looking for specific parts. LHS didn't stock them, and the main onlines are full of fws stuff. I had to find that stuff in Europe, or Australia.
Facebook has actually limited what we have access to.
It used to be, for an rc car, for example, if it was a car, or aftermarket parts or tires, they'd post to the forums...one post so EVERYBODY knew. Now, if you don't know who makes stuff, it gets darn hard to find.
As an example, I was looking for a prop spinner, perimeter mount. US suppliers stopped making perimeter mount spinners. (The ones I knew of who would respond to an email..) I had to source out of the UK. To find them, I had to join an Austealian rc scale aircfraft group (good guys, you need it, they know where to find it, or who can make it)
Honestly, I miss that, more than anything, comin to a forum and seeing sticky threads with known supplier lists.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 05-09-2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:34 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyone here remember TheJANG who used to run URC (UltimateRC forum)? I always felt like he was the Bob Ross of RC with respect to all his unique build projects and he did a great job of balancing between basher and racer. Simply put, we need more people like TheJANG!

Long story short (for those interested), TheJANG used to pride himself on doing unbiased reviews on anything RC related. All that came to an end when he reviewed some Max Amps batteries and proved they were over priced and you could get comparable performance with a budget battery. At that point Max Amps sued URC and would shut him down... so much for freedom of speech.. meh

I miss TheJANG's videos on RC, although not really any basher content, I have grown to appreciate Ryan Harris as the next best content creator after TheJANG.

I believe that a successful forum needs someone to drive discussion the way URC did it, I haven't seen any forum come close to that format since.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:23 PM
suburban_hooligan

yeah i miss URC that was the last good RC forum. this place had slowed to a crawl and that place was still booming.
bill_delong (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 06:27 PM
Txmustangflyer

Well it is flying/racing season, vs build season too, but yeah, I get it.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:26 PM
NewYorkFatSlum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRailroadBull
So, i've been a rctech.net user for... meh... probably about 15 years... and it seems like every year, it gets more and more annoying. The moderators there seem to be on the geekiest power trip of all time, and seem to jump on every little thing users do, especially in regards to innocent folks who post about an issue in the wrong place... because they have LIVES, and didn't first quit their jobs to spend DAYS reading THOUSANDS of pages in hopes of maybe finding an answer. I must not be alone in this feeling either, as it seems that members visiting that forum have SHARPLY dropped in recent years. My question is... and please be honest... is RCU the same type of deal? Do the Mods view themselves as elite Gods and drain the fun out of the hobby? Or is it more peaceful here.... where people don't hesitate to post or speak about an issues for fear of being publically shamed? Cause if this site operates like RCTech, then my search will continue to find a more free and welcoming environment. Thanks guys!

To the Mods: I originally posted this in "RC Clubhouse". I tried to delete the original post, but I didn't see an option for that. I did not purposely double post.
I believe that they are not like Discord moderators lol.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:35 PM
BSchorr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before FB groups and Marketplace became popular, RCTech was the OG of RC.. specifically Cars.. where RCU is an entire plethora of RC stuff.. You will find more series and reputable RC car racers on RCTech.. I have been a member of them since 2004.. 5,000+ posts.. over 100+ feedback.. Never had an issue. If you are a more serious club racer, regional racer, or national racer.. RCTech is where you will find most. But like a said.. less traffic there now, due to Facebook.. Specially in the selling department. I decided to come to RCU, cause I have some stuff to sell, and its not moving on RCTech/FB Groups faster then ide like.!
Old 10-19-2022, 03:34 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I highly doubt you will sell something faster here on RCU, but you never know. Traffic across all online forums is down. FB seems to entice people more for some reason.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:41 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I highly doubt you will sell something faster here on RCU, but you never know. Traffic across all online forums is down. FB seems to entice people more for some reason.
I'd agree with that. Facebook (for me anyhow) is nice for local stuff. But I don't trust someone from Facebook to ship the way I would from a forum with some itrader ratings.
I also agree that rctech has a more active marketplace but I did get a decent deal recently on a 1/18 axial here. You never know what you'll find and where.

​​​​​​Even reddit has an rc marketplace now. I haven't bought anything there yet. I don't see any feedback going on, that makes it tough.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:50 AM
suburban_hooligan

what 1/18 scale Axial did you get? i apparently didn't learn my lesson when i bought 3 Dromida's and a Apex Mini (RC18R) and have been looking at 1/18 scales again
Old 10-29-2022, 10:39 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan
what 1/18 scale Axial did you get? i apparently didn't learn my lesson when i bought 3 Dromida's and a Apex Mini (RC18R) and have been looking at 1/18 scales again
Yeti Jr Can Am
I havent done anything with it yet. Probably going to give it to my niece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.