Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

HPI Baja Buggy!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:37 AM
HPI Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Baja Buggy!!!!

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

cant see how you can run extra brakes as there aint the provision on the radio tray for extra servo unless its running 2 sets of brakes and throttle off one servo!,as for the engine being a cy - my mistake i seen what looked like a red round button as used on zen gd22 engines & i aint getting into the cy vs zen230/260 argument.im still surprised the way hpi has positioned the engine - doing so has cut out the buyer from useing most pipes on the market like samba,jetpro ect,pipes are among the 1st things to be added regardless of the large scale make - i dont doubt hpi will bring out there own range of pipes and option parts as well as other small companys - but wont that all be depending on the success of this model.any chance of some detailed pics with the shell removed.
I'm sure we could have made our buggy compatible with the existing pipes, existing wheels, existing tires etc. but we wanted to make something unique rather than compromise the design for compatibility. With the interest and pre-orders we've already seen for the Baja 5B, I'm sure that the aftermarket companies will be making parts for it.

Our web site has nearly 100 photos of the Baja 5B, check it out at: [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm]HPI Racing USA[/link]
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 AM
radio_controlled_mad

Old 11-15-2005, 12:16 PM
USABaja5B

Actually the option parts will be much less expensive for the Baja versus the FG. At least in America, we will have a larger market, which means higher volumes and lower prices. I'll be making 400 rims at a time for the Baja, versus 100 at a time for FG. That will reduce my cost, and I'll pass it on to the customer. Retail will be the same as Savage 40 series rims, probably $179 a set.

As far as the engine layout, I would rather have the filter in front of the engine and rear wheels. I bet some young guy will start making extensions for the filter, to get it out even farther up front. Less dust to take in. I'd like to see some type of air scoop that sits betweent he front wheels. Its really dusty in Arizona, so that would help me.

And I would rather have the exhaust going straight out without having to bend 2 times to go around the engine and then out the back. That makes the exhaust easier to fabricate too.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM
USABaja5B

You keep confusing Europe with America. America will embrace the HPI Baja , and are already pre-ordering in larger quantities than any FG model. You guys in Europe will be another story, as evident on this site. 15 years is a good head start, but us Americans know how to shell out the cash for something that looks this good. And there are more of us to buy them. Why do you think HPI had it on Tower for 3 months in advance? It easier to gauge the first production run, if you alrady have the orders in hand. Just like my rims, I already have the orders to get started. Alot less risk that way.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:21 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 PM
USABaja5B

Actually, I wouldn't like HPI to use any FG parts. I can never get them, and they are too expensive in the US. We will have a huge hop-up market following this truck, so those prices will be better than any FG aftermarket price anyway. And we will be able to get replacements or upgrades in 1 day or 4 days at the most from the other side of the US. Most people in the US are always in the "I need it now" frame of mind. I've driven 50 miles to get parts ont he weekend, so I could bash that night.

The tide is going to turn guys, you've had a great deal on FG stuff for 15 years, now its our turn. I'll probably keep my Marder, but it will be sitting next to my Show Savage in my office at work.

As for the hood scoop, I haven't bashed in or around water for 4 years. I live in the desert, so water is not a problem. Hellya, there is a good idea for you!! Start desinging something new for us West Coast guys!!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:03 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Old 11-15-2005, 02:40 PM
USABaja5B

I think HPI has a greater plan than they are letting on. I'm only looking at the same pictures as you, but there are alot of un-used features on the pics. Those features mean they have long range plans for using the tapped holes and whatnot. They did their research, now we just have to sit back and see what they did.

I have no problem with them not using other peoples hop-ups. That is what makes them a strong company. And must make them some profit too.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:08 PM
HeatFire

i think this is just what the giant scale world need well actully the car is gonna be in europe.. atleast in england so ofcourse it gonna be big.. but dont say to much before it's realesed(släppt).. i see alot of ppl thinking they know if it's gonna be good or not.. nobody knows.. more then the HPI staff:P
Old 11-15-2005, 03:09 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

i know you make the rimms - that aside wouldnt you as a normal buyer liked to use parts from other makes of large scale,like drives,tyres,pipes,brakes and what ever else - i agree i think the design is spot on and stands out from whats on the market now,i think it could of also done well in europe as a basher - but the priceing of £750 ($1600) is way to high - and that cant just be down to the uk tax,hpi must have some influenece on model shop priceing.

well thats the same here you saying the pricing is to high? all the FG models I looked at started at 1500.00 USD, compared too the 899.00 hpi, so it is the same as too what your saying. isn't it?plus I got 70.00 taken off tower hobbies price with a discount code
Old 11-15-2005, 03:19 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Old 11-15-2005, 06:12 PM
radio_controlled_mad

oooppps - doubled posted
Old 11-15-2005, 07:16 PM
jeepfreak1972

The heat of the pipe in front of the engine probably blows back onto the engine when driving with our fg cars. The hpi setup put the heat at the rear and fresh air ramming in the front. I like it.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:39 PM
HPI Staff

some one at hpi must of been a fan of the 22yr old tamiya sand scorcher

rcmad, I don't think you understand how much off-roading we do here in America. We didn't copy an old Tamiya buggy, we based the Baja 5B on the popular desert racing buggies that currently compete in races like the Baja 1000 etc. Get your facts straight before you accuse us of copying Tamiya.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:21 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tamiya sandscorcher is a work of art, somewhat like the Tamiya HiLux/Mountaneer/Bruiser, a metal chassis close in detail to a VW bug chassis and toyota 4x4 respectively. However while the Sandscorcher is a great interpretation of a VW based dune bug it has absolutly no commonality of design with the Baja by HPI. The Baja is similarly influenced by modern full scale buggys just as the Sandscorcher was influened by the buggys in use 30 years ago. And their designs are just as far apart. It would violate the rules and standards of this board to go into more detail other than to say that this accusation of copying tamiya could only be a deliberatly absurd one because nobody could be so foolish as to seriously claim such a thing.

As for parts, I live near washingon D.C., a major metropolitan area and in a hundred mile plus radius there are only 2 major hobby shops and none of them carry any FG products. One of them has a single Traxxas gas buggy that has been in the showcase and up on a shelf since I first went there in 2000. I am sure they are more likely to carry the Baja than anything else and if they don't no change for me. The same folks criticizing HPI for not using the same wheels, pipe, etc. as others would be claiming that they stole the design if even one part fit.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:30 PM
speedbuggy67

designing and building an original product like the 5b is called "innovation." The most successful of companies all practice this. I have an FG monster beetle, a traxxas monster buggy, and will own a 5b when they start to ship. Looks like an excellent buggy to me!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:01 PM
jeepfreak1972

I am all about this car. I have had the traxxas and I have the FG, but I am really excited about this.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:30 PM
xxxboatworks

Having the airfilter/carb facing forward and the exhaust port towards the rear is not necessarily a bad thing. I've had a Traxxax monster buggy for over a decade and have never had a problem with the carb ingesting any dirt or water. Never had a cooling problem either. I also have a tuned pipe on it and it works fine. Somtimes you have to think outside the box and that is exactly what HPI did. I'm sure when the FG first came out, they had a monopoly on all the parts too (since nobody else made parts for it 15 years ago). I have MB, a marder, a bergonzoni brave and am looking forward to getting my HPI. No matter what happens, HPI is still going to take a bite out of FG sales and that is good thing . No matter what brand you choose to buy, a little competition between the companies helps all of us in the hobby. The only reason real car manufacturers have advanced as fast and as far as they have is because of the need to keep up with the competition.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 PM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

NO Comment
Old 11-16-2005, 03:56 AM
radio_controlled_mad

Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 AM
jimbo1890

Back on the " I hate CY " bandwagon?

Anybody got a hose?[>:]
Old 11-16-2005, 04:18 AM
radio_controlled_mad

Old 11-16-2005, 05:10 AM
outcastrc

HPI Staff has already said that the front knuckles are ready to accept front brakes. So they must have already figured out servo's etc. And if this buggy is going to be as popular as most people think then all the major aftermarket companies would be insane to not make their product fit the baja's design. And even if they don't there's plenty of other companies that will.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:57 AM
TurtleRacing

I think the carb forward is very smart,people work hard & pay big $$ to get more air forced into the carb, HPI put it right there for them. I'd also much rather have that hot pipe behind the motor, doesn't make sense to have something hot sit right in front of your cooling fins. Thank you HPI Staff, you have answered EVERY question thouroughly & professionally & we do appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.