Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Robrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

The only reason a tank will implode is because the inward vent is too restrictive, so long as the space left by the fuel can easily be replaced with vent air and the feed lines through the series tanks to the pump are big bore there will be no issues. My setup proves it, with around 100 flights now with Merlin 140, bored out felt clunks, 1/4 inch o/d Tygon, original BVM UAT. Zero cavitation and the same tiny air volume in the UAT from start to finish.

Rob.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 AM
cbooth1979
My Feedback: (22)

I have the same struts. I am having an issue with the springs being way too soft especially with full fuel. Is anyone else having this issue? i havent yet found any springs that are stiffer, anyone have any ideas?
ORIGINAL: IFlyEm35

Anyone using the Airtech trailing link struts?

Not much of a fan of the square struts. Aside of looks how do they perform?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Robrow

ORIGINAL: cbooth1979

I have the same struts. I am having an issue with the springs being way too soft especially with full fuel. Is anyone else having this issue? i havent yet found any springs that are stiffer, anyone have any ideas?

Go for struts with compression springs...Behotec, no issues with stretching or weak springs.

Rob.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with the spring being way too soft and I didn't like some of the answers I was getting about my problem, So I modified the main strut springs by removing 4 rings off the main spring making it stiffer. Now its 100% better.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82251.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1791168  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 AM
cbooth1979
My Feedback: (22)

Hi,

Did you have to heat the spring at all or just cut and bend? Reason I ask is that the springs are pretty rugged and do not bend easily.

Thanks for your time,

-Carl
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Walo

I maidened mine last week. Unfortunately the first landing was a "Snap Landing". Deceleration was much faster then I expected (100 mm or 4 inches landing flap). Nothing happened but my next landings were way too fast what resulted in bumping and some damage to the nosegear.
After studying the messages in this forum I will reduce the amount of flaps for my landing configuration.

Regards Walter

http://youtu.be/rqWCNXOwuOU
Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Bravo77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious what happened there on landing , I will maiden mine in a few weeks . Is it possible that you had one flap extended more than the other , because it looked good until the incident? Any help would be appreciated so as not to have the same thing happen to me. From what I heard the uf is a good flying aircraft and does not snap . Could some one with experience shed some light on this incident.

Thanks all
Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Robrow

ORIGINAL: Walo

I maidened mine last week. Unfortunately the first landing was a ''Snap Landing''. Deceleration was much faster then I expected (100 mm or 4 inches landing flap). Nothing happened but my next landings were way too fast what resulted in bumping and some damage to the nosegear.
After studying the messages in this forum I will reduce the amount of flaps for my landing configuration.

Regards Walter

I don't think that is a snap, the airspeed is way too high. Something else is happening there.

Rob.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Ali

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like it dropping a wing to me. Flat calm wind wise and looks hot. Looks slow enough to me especially if a tad heavy. Did you have much fuel left? Was it balanced nose heavy, and were you running any crow or just flap?
Regards Al
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM
basimpsn

Hi,

Did you have to heat the spring at all or just cut and bend? Reason I ask is that the springs are pretty rugged and do not bend easily.

Thanks for your time,

-Carl
Just a strong pliers with side cutter.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM
ricardinho

hey man so how is that nice blue angel flying?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 AM
basimpsn

I maidened mine last week. Unfortunately the first landing was a "Snap Landing". Deceleration was much faster then I expected (100 mm or 4 inches landing flap). Nothing happened but my next landings were way too fast what resulted in bumping and some damage to the nosegear.

Regards Walter

Could be rudder input ? Because mine bounce like a ball down the runway but never snap like your[X(]

Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: ricardinho

hey man so how is that nice blue angel flying?
Its flying very nice but you know my field, Its kinda tight on final so i'm work on my approach speed.
You saw this video ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTExWRVGQHA

And in this video I'm too short

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIwyV0Inwno
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
LASHMETT75
My Feedback: (20)

The landing speed looked good..but i think the elevator got pulled to hard because of the decent rate. Looked like to much elevator for the flare.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
ricardinho

basil not bad at all.. it will slow down much more. try doing lower flatter aproaches...try to get it to drag in...dont worry it has no bad habits ...i know at pgrc you have to loose lots of speed because of the tree line...go to dcrc and fly it...you can slow it up like a boomer...again great job basil!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Walo

ORIGINAL: Ali

Looks like it dropping a wing to me. Flat calm wind wise and looks hot. Looks slow enough to me especially if a tad heavy. Did you have much fuel left? Was it balanced nose heavy, and were you running any crow or just flap?
Regards Al
Yes, it was a bit heavy. Main tank still full! I did some low speed tests before. It snapped with flaps take off and clean config but not with full flaps. Don't want to give the incident too much weight but wanted to show, how fast it can decelerate. May be for Jet rookies like me it's better to begin with a bit less landing flaps.

Regards
Walter
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

Regards Al
Any answer to this? without doubt the most experienced pilot who has commented on here and he is being ignored.

Mike
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
basimpsn

basil not bad at all.. it will slow down much more. try doing lower flatter aproaches...try to get it to drag in...dont worry it has no bad habits ...i know at pgrc you have to loose lots of speed because of the tree line...go to dcrc and fly it...you can slow it up like a boomer...again great job basil!!!
Thanks Pat I have to admit I do need some more practice with the U/F. Some of my landing was ok but not DCRC.. qualified, not with them 20 feet drop off at each end of the runway [:@]

P.S Hey Pat I was looking for a flying buddy at (June 23, 2012 Heritage Days) [8D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPelCR4DrZ4
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any crow? it will delay any tip stall.

Mike
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM
ricardinho

basil you fly very nice...the flash is very slick...at the bowie field its hard to get a nice low aproach without gaining alot of airspeed...i have been spoiled at hamburg pa field 2500 feet grass no trees..hahaha..let me know when you fly...
Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM
basimpsn

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Any crow? it will delay any tip stall.

Mike
I'm also thinking about trying crow settings
Old 08-14-2012, 01:59 PM
basimpsn

basil you fly very nice...the flash is very slick...at the bowie field its hard to get a nice low aproach without gaining alot of airspeed...i have been spoiled at hamburg pa field 2500 feet grass no trees..hahaha..let me know when you fly...
Another very important info I forgot to mention.. My residual thrust was close to 2lbs [X(] so for now i.m stuck with longer runways. I will call you up the next time I'm getting ready put her up.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Cg set per factory is conservative.

That approach was really fast and that defiantly is not a snap, unless you have it seriously heavy on one side the plane will stall flat.

You absolutely do not need crow on the uf keep it simple, can't stress this enough, use the full 4" of flaps and it's will slow down just fine, I land mine in under 100 feet like this no problem.

Just make sure your flaps are nice and even and it will slow down fine and stable.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

The Answer is there, calm, heavy (2.2ltrs of fuel is another 4lb?) It did not snap, it was a slow wing drop. If it snapped at that height it would be dead now. The UF has fabulous slow speed handling and does not need CROW. It likes lots of Flap, you just need more power to keep it moving! OK each pilot has different throttle/elevator handling timing and "feeling" and this makes a difference to how it will land. Balance point is personal preference, the manual position is conservative, but a pilot who knows what they want will adjust balance and control travel/expo, those that don't will find it handles just fine at the offered settings. Some aircraft benefit from CROW, the UF really doesn't. It won't stop a wing drop, it just delays it till maybe its flying even slower than its stall speed!
My UF is two years old next month, one of the first batch manufactured and it does not have a scrape. 100% reliable aeroplane and i've flown it in some tight sites. Its my favourite sports jet ever.

Dw
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Ali

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a feeling that the plane might have been heavier than it needed to be ( By the way it looked to come in on the video ) It's amazing the difference landing with fuel will make. If you work it out as a percentage of the total AUW of a flash. 4 lbs of fuel is quite a chunk of dead weight to be carrying on final.
I have not had many models that have "needed" crow ( I think one maybe two tops) However! I have had plenty that have benefitted from it, and for me the UF sure is one of those. Now I am not preaching, or professing that I know any better than the next guy. Just saying that in my humble opinion and based on a little bit of stick time I have found that my UF landed in a way that suited me far better when I ran less flap and introduced Crow.
I am not going to get in a twist if people disagree with me, thats the cool thing about this hobby ( Often multiple ways of reaching the same end result ) I just know that I have had my UF in a similar situation to what I saw on that video on a few occasions before ( Although not often its that calm here in the Uk, but I have landed it 90 deg cross wind with nearly a full fuel load) and it did not react in the manner in which I saw on the vid.
If I can be of any help, just ask.
Regards Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.