Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
havard.j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Which flap setting would be optimal for very slow flight with gear up?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: mtnflyer14

As a very far less experienced UF owner than Dave and Ali, I was hoping for a definitive, ''here is how you do it'' consensus from arguably the two most experienced UF pilots in the world. But, Dave prefers lots of flap and no crow, whereas Ali prefers less flap with crow. I guess both are correct in that it comes down to pilot preference and personal technique. Just wish I could develop skills to approach that of Dave and Ali - flaps or not, crow or not!
Regards,
Gus
Oh Dear - What are we going to do????
The only two qualified, experienced enough experts to answer a question, and they disagree!!!!!
What has become of our hobby, chaos, no answers, and only two opinions matter any more. What on earth can we do??

Not sure if anyone else thought it was funny, and not being aware of the real issues, since we have a lot of really good local talent. But to think that there are only two in the world that could possibly answer a question, and they disagree, sounds like a plot for a real tragedy. , i mean )
Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 PM
SniperWj

wow! I belive every body here love to see what kind of
scheme you going to put on UF ! keep us update!

yiming
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

ORIGINAL: indubitably

As a very far less experienced UF owner than Dave and Ali, I was hoping for a definitive, ''here is how you do it'' consensus from arguably the two most experienced UF pilots in the world. But, Dave prefers lots of flap and no crow, whereas Ali prefers less flap with crow. I guess both are correct in that it comes down to pilot preference and personal technique. Just wish I could develop skills to approach that of Dave and Ali - flaps or not, crow or not!
Regards,
Gus
Oh Dear - What are we going to do????
The only two qualified, experienced enough experts to answer a question, and they disagree!!!!!
What has become of our hobby, chaos, no answers, and only two opinions matter any more. What on earth can we do??

Not sure if anyone else thought it was funny, and not being aware of the real issues, since we have a lot of really good local talent. But to think that there are only two in the world that could possibly answer a question, and they disagree, sounds like a plot for a real tragedy. , i mean )

Just goes to show there is no right answer! Like you said, plenty of good US pilots who would have an opinion too...

Dw
Old 08-18-2012, 02:29 PM
mtnflyer14

Delete - duplicate post.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM
mtnflyer14

Wow. I make one comment in six months on the topic of UF landing techniques and get flamed. Lesson learned - read and learn but don't bother to post anything.
Gus
Old 08-18-2012, 03:34 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. I make one comment in six months on the topic of UF landing techniques and get flamed. Lesson learned - read and learn but don't bother to post anything.
Gus
Gus, I didnt realize you were such a trouble maker. People that hide behind fake names usually have thin skin and take offense quick.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:05 AM
mtnflyer14

Tony,
I'm just trying to find a way to bring my UF landing skills up to par with my old F-14 landing skills! I'll bring the UF to Phoenix in November and get some tips from you. Would also like to see the Hawk you maidened a couple months ago - beautiful airplane.
Regards,
Gus
Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe you need a pitching carrier deck to be comfortable.[:-]
Old 08-19-2012, 04:12 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: Walo

I maidened mine last week. Unfortunately the first landing was a ''Snap Landing''. Deceleration was much faster then I expected (100 mm or 4 inches landing flap). Nothing happened but my next landings were way too fast what resulted in bumping and some damage to the nosegear.
After studying the messages in this forum I will reduce the amount of flaps for my landing configuration.

Regards Walter

http://youtu.be/rqWCNXOwuOU

some others have had the same problem. they fixed it with 3 1/4 inches of flap and 10 mm of crow
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM
mtnflyer14

Yes, that might help! And could throw in a little night, IFR if my focus waned! Can still get sweaty palms thinking about the night landings.
Regards,
Gus
Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gus, I was an F-16 guy, so no pitching carrier decks in my history, but night IFR landings were tough enough.. I would think the only thing more stressful than a 50,000 lb controlled crash into night blue water IFR night pitching carrier deck would be a heart attack... Most of my "pucker factor" moments were at night after long missions too..
Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops duplicate
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 AM
mtnflyer14

Most of my "pucker factor" moments were at night after long missions too..
Yep, concur!
Regards,
Gus
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Bravo77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading and following this post carefully , especially on the landing of the Ultra flash. I am not looking for a fight here from any one just my observation and conclusion .

I am speaking mainly about the comment from Dave and Ali and although both are expert Pilots and I respect them both , I have found that the landing that I saw Ali doing on You tube was not impressive as It looks like Ali want to hover in the Aircraft and Dave actually lands it at a comfortabe speed and very stable .

From all the comments my conclusion( and I am no expert) is that the UF is better landed with some power and keeping the nose down until final flare . I have also seen David Shulman doing the same and many other successful landings of the UF by other pilots .In the manual I noticed that they are saying to keep the nose high , I beleive that if one keep the nose high and use too much elevator then one may experience the wing dropping and what some are calling a snap. I have also seen the landing of Thomas Singer and he also lands with some power and keeps the nose down .

Guys I would like some comments on my observation and please let me know if I am correct and all comments are welcomed as long as I learn something from them.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 AM
ricardinho

you are absolutly correct...the way dave lands the plane is the correct method....i never start raising the nose until about 4 feetwith about quarter throttle or so .once i reach ground effect power off completly...lands very slow....i seen the video of the snap on landing the flare was way to soon and nose was way to high...thats why it dropped a wing ...you know there are so many techniques that can be used to do nice landings...the way i descibed is what works well for me....
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Bravo77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for that great response .This is the way we should treat each other about our comments.

Thanks again
Paul
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 AM
ricardinho

yes this is a hobby and considered expensive toys.. i do notice sometimes there is too much politics and not as much fun..

Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Well I have decided on the paint scheme for my ultra flash, I was going to paint it in an aggressor scheme or the SU-27 splinter scheme but decided to paint in a semi sport scheme but this one is a real scheme, hope you like it.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Robrow

Wow, what a challenge, getting that wrong would be a "Miss Demeanour" Should look great when finished

Rob.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM
ricardinho

that is awesome....that will stand out very well!!!...pat
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Walo

Hello all,

Thank you for your answers and comments. I think I feel much more comfortable now and did another two successfull flights. I have the flaps at 92 mm without crow.

I expected a little bit faster acceleration from my engine, so I removed the air inlet joiner, hoping to get more airflow with low speed (Go arround), but I didn't feel any difference.
My Jetcat 140RX has a feature called "Barom. Auto Tune". I switched this to enabled but hard to say, if there is any improvement. I talked to Jetcat and I will leave it enabled.

Overall I learned, you shouldn't land the Ultra Flash too fast, probably because CG is very close to the main gear. I have tail tipping during fueling without canopy, but that seems normal.

Regards
Walter

Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

I don't see that removing the inlet joiner will help acceleration, the intakes on the UF are big enough to feed that turbine, especially in the mid to low range, i think its mostly down to the turbine because mine accelerates like a scalded kitten with the K140.

yeah my nose wheel will bounce over small stones so it definitely needs to be a slow landing, you have to make sure the wing has all but stalled when you touch down so that you don't bounce back up, its really the same with all planes but just more critical with one that's balanced correctly

Kim
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

ORIGINAL: Walo

Hello all,

Thank you for your answers and comments. I think I feel much more comfortable now and did another two successfull flights. I have the flaps at 92 mm without crow.

I expected a little bit faster acceleration from my engine, so I removed the air inlet joiner, hoping to get more airflow with low speed (Go arround), but I didn't feel any difference.
My Jetcat 140RX has a feature called ''Barom. Auto Tune''. I switched this to enabled but hard to say, if there is any improvement. I talked to Jetcat and I will leave it enabled.

Overall I learned, you shouldn't land the Ultra Flash too fast, probably because CG is very close to the main gear. I have tail tipping during fueling without canopy, but that seems normal.

Regards
Walter

Walter

Which main gear and legs do you have? Is your canopy mounted with a pilot and full cockpit?

Regards

Dave
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Walo

It's the Behotec C36-2 stock gear. Unfortunately not that one from CARF. I had a lot of work to fit it in the wing.

http://www.behotec.de/xtcommerce/pro...uer-Flash.html

I use the canopy without cockpit and pilot. Our airfield has a large amount of slope, thats the reason why tipping occurs.

Regards
Walter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.