Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti DS-24

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-24

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 07:09 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
We need to know which Rx you bound to the primary module of the Tx - is it the Rex7 or the R3? It is that which determines what plugs into what.
Part of what you described indicates the R3 is the primary, but another part indicates the Rex7 is the primary, so you do have something wrong!
The REX7 is the primary. Can you give me some more clues as to what is wrong so I can fix it? Thanks! -Tom
Old 06-11-2020, 07:19 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
A few notes on how the Cortex Pro (CP) handles (2) Jeti RX in the serial I/O mode:

CP ports B and 6 are the only bidirectional ports. Therefore telemetry coming back from the CB only has this path back to the RX. This is why your primary RX should be connected to CP port B and CP port 6 should be connected to CB port RX1.

The data output from CP ports 5 and 6 is the same. But remember that only port 6 is bidirectional.

CP port A is the secondary RX port. The CP uses the input on port B until data is lost, then switches to port A. It can stay on port A for up to 4 seconds before switching back to port B. This delay is variable but the important thing is that since only port B is bidirectional you could lose the telemetry from the CB (and all sensors plugged into it) for up to 4 seconds. Note that only telemetry is lost. You will still have control. This could and has caused some issues if you are for example using a MBar for gear failsafe, a MSpeed for gyro gain control, or an engine telemetry module for a flameout alarm.

Prior to the release of the EX Bus Backup/Input feature in the REX receivers the only way to use (2) Jeti RX with the CP was to use ports A and B. But as I said before, this caused some telemetry issues. Now that we have the REX available there is no need to use port A. Simply plug the 2nd RX into the REX and connect the REX to port B. But......there is a catch when doing this. The CP learns the input signal and output mode types by detecting the input on each port. In order to use the CP in the serial I/O mode it must see an input on port A. This means that when using (1) RX you must first connect it to port A and go through the input signal programming. Then move the RX to port B and complete the rest of the setup.
Danny,
Thanks for the info. I had read somewhere that only one of the CP ports was bi-directional, but your explanation provides more clarity and I think I fully understand the CP port dealo now. I'm running a fuel flow meter so having the telemetry interrupted for up to 4 minutes would not be good Thanks for the help! -Tom
Old 06-11-2020, 07:45 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
Danny,
Thanks for the info. I had read somewhere that only one of the CP ports was bi-directional, but your explanation provides more clarity and I think I fully understand the CP port dealo now. I'm running a fuel flow meter so having the telemetry interrupted for up to 4 minutes would not be good Thanks for the help! -Tom
Check that would be 4 seconds not 4 minutes......
Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Dansy
Check that would be 4 seconds not 4 minutes......
my bad! Okay, 4 seconds is not that critical in my case.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:13 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

This may confirm what I was thinking about my set up on my Hawker Hunter. The gear doors are controlled by Telemetry using sensors on the gear. Quite often the gear doors open and close during a flight.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:51 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies
This may confirm what I was thinking about my set up on my Hawker Hunter. The gear doors are controlled by Telemetry using sensors on the gear. Quite often the gear doors open and close during a flight.
See my video at 4:45 for an explanation of how to set a telemetry control's default value to prevent that happening when telemetry drops out
Old 06-11-2020, 01:02 PM
Mick Hargreaves

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See my video at 4:45 for an explanation of how to set a telemetry control's default value to prevent that happening when telemetry drops out https://youtu.be/CymF5eWlXDg
Great videos on setting up the Eurosport Harry. Having just finished one, it more or less confirmed the way I had done it anyway. Interesting you are running 60% expo, even with the gyro on. The latest manual does have the throw settings you are using. Thanks
Old 06-11-2020, 01:06 PM
causeitflies

See my video at 4:45 for an explanation of how to set a telemetry control's default value to prevent that happening when telemetry drops out https://youtu.be/CymF5eWlXDg
Thanks Harry. I haven’t pulled that jet out yet this year but will soon and was going to look at my whole set up again anyway.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:13 PM
HarryC

Originally Posted by Tip22v
The REX7 is the primary. Can you give me some more clues as to what is wrong so I can fix it? Thanks! -Tom
Follow F1Rocket's description of the cabling.

You said that you had plugged the 900 into the Rex7. The 900 is to be plugged into the secondary Rx, (or into the special port for it on the CB), but it is not plugged into the primary Rx. Then you plugged the rex7 into cortex socket A which is for the secondary Rx. So these 2 things confirm that you are using the rex7 as secondary, so r3 must be primary.
But then you said the cb200 and the cortex in device explorer are showing beneath the rex7. They must show beneath the primary, not the secondary.
So somewhere your wiring was getting crossed.
The primary and secondary in dual path are not equals, and their correct sequence of connection to the central box is important, you should not simply plug them in randomly. The rx bound to the primary tx must be plugged into Sat1. F1Rocket describes how they must be wired when a cortex pro is used between the rx and cb.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:48 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry

As one of the few UK contributors to this thread I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I am returning to turbine models after a 10 year gap and am thinking about upgrading my radio. I currently have a Futaba 14MZ which has served me well but has a couple of issues such as a poor screen in sunlight and short battery life. I do find it easy to programme and have never had a problem with it reception wise. I have always used a two battery set up with a Powerbox dual switch.
I have read some of this thread and am somewhat put off by the complexity of it all! How many receivers do you need? I looked at the basic Jeti 12 which apparently is only an 8 channel transmitter (why call it a 12?) does this need some sort of upgrade to make it 12 channel? I do not anticipate ever needing more than 12 channels.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:43 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john agnew
Harry

As one of the few UK contributors to this thread I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I am returning to turbine models after a 10 year gap and am thinking about upgrading my radio. I currently have a Futaba 14MZ which has served me well but has a couple of issues such as a poor screen in sunlight and short battery life. I do find it easy to programme and have never had a problem with it reception wise. I have always used a two battery set up with a Powerbox dual switch.
I have read some of this thread and am somewhat put off by the complexity of it all! How many receivers do you need? I looked at the basic Jeti 12 which apparently is only an 8 channel transmitter (why call it a 12?) does this need some sort of upgrade to make it 12 channel? I do not anticipate ever needing more than 12 channels.

There is no need to make things any more complicated than you choose to. A single receiver and you're good to go. Of course you can add whatever level of redundancy, telemetry, etc that you feel you need but everything works just fine with the most basic setup. Parts of the programming is quite different from Futaba but it's actually quite easy to master as long as you look at the features provided and try to use them to solve whatever problem needs solving. People tend to get into trouble when they try to force a solution to work "the way I always did it with brand X" which may not make much sense with Jeti. There are a number of very powerful tools for programming even the most complex models and all the interfaces to these features is quite consistent so as you start to understand how things work (which is really wuite simple), EVERYTHING becomes much simpler.

As for the DS12, the base model comes with only 8 channels enabled with additional features, such as the 8 to 12 channel upgrade enabled by a one time license fee. At least in the US (not sure it's world wide) there are several packages that allow you to choose a reasonable set of features at a discounted package price with the "Deluxe" version having all possible features enabled. As a new user it may not be easy to decide exactly what features you need and which you don't but I'd recommend at least Package B due to the fact the Package A is lacking a couple of features that simplify mechanical setup of your aircraft such as servo balancing. Package B also enables the sequencer which can be nice for operating gear doors, etc.Hope this is of some help.

Last edited by wfield0455; 06-12-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:32 PM
HarryC

Originally Posted by john agnew
Harry

Hi John,
Wayne has already given an excellent answer so I will just add a few confirmations, and thoughts.
The Tx, and the whole Tx, Rx, sensor system, are capable of doing some very complex things. But that doesn't mean that doing normal stuff is complex. In fact the Jeti can handle complex models such as 8 or 10 servos in the wings of gliders with ease. I find that people often mistakenly try to make it complex, e.g. thinking that they need to use a mixer controlled by a logic switch when actually a dual rate will do the job!

Most of my models have one Rx, I use an additional satellite in my jets just to get more aerials in case of shielding by the metal coating, carbon fibre, engine etc.

As Wayne said, programming problems are often due to an insistence on trying to program it as your previous brand instead of as a Jeti. Learn the Jeti way, and a model can be set up to perfection easily and quickly.

Data logging is a wonderful tool, learn how to enable it and use it. A few days ago a friend of mine lost control of his fav jet. By looking at the graphs of the data on the Tx screen afterwards, we were able to say with total confidence that it was not a battery or a radio failure.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:14 AM
john agnew

Wayne & Harry

Thanks for your input. Harry, I read your post prior to mine and was bamboozled! Sounded awfully complicated, I struggle with a mobile phone other than calls & texts so at 73 now I think a complete change will not suit me.Other than having to replace my 7 Futaba RX's the cost of going Jeti with just the minimum 12 channel setup will be quite a lot more expensive than upgrading my14MZ to a 16SZ which seems to have very similar programming to my14MZ only with a better battery life and non-pressure touch screen. I understand that the 16SZ also supports telemetry if I ever feel the need to engage with that!
Old 06-18-2020, 07:30 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
A few notes on how the Cortex Pro (CP) handles (2) Jeti RX in the serial I/O mode:

CP ports B and 6 are the only bidirectional ports. Therefore telemetry coming back from the CB only has this path back to the RX. This is why your primary RX should be connected to CP port B and CP port 6 should be connected to CB port RX1.

The data output from CP ports 5 and 6 is the same. But remember that only port 6 is bidirectional.

CP port A is the secondary RX port. The CP uses the input on port B until data is lost, then switches to port A. It can stay on port A for up to 4 seconds before switching back to port B. This delay is variable but the important thing is that since only port B is bidirectional you could lose the telemetry from the CB (and all sensors plugged into it) for up to 4 seconds. Note that only telemetry is lost. You will still have control. This could and has caused some issues if you are for example using a MBar for gear failsafe, a MSpeed for gyro gain control, or an engine telemetry module for a flameout alarm.

Prior to the release of the EX Bus Backup/Input feature in the REX receivers the only way to use (2) Jeti RX with the CP was to use ports A and B. But as I said before, this caused some telemetry issues. Now that we have the REX available there is no need to use port A. Simply plug the 2nd RX into the REX and connect the REX to port B. But......there is a catch when doing this. The CP learns the input signal and output mode types by detecting the input on each port. In order to use the CP in the serial I/O mode it must see an input on port A. This means that when using (1) RX you must first connect it to port A and go through the input signal programming. Then move the RX to port B and complete the rest of the setup.
Finally! A clear explanation of why I have telemetry drop outs on my jets. Thank you, Danny!

Before I run out and purchase a bunch of REX7's for my jets that currently use R3/RSW's plugged in to CortexPro ports A and B, is there any indication from the fine folks at Bavarian Demon that a future update will provide bidirectional data on both ports A and B (and ports 5 and 6)?

Thanks again,
...jim
Old 06-18-2020, 07:39 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JimBrown
Finally! A clear explanation of why I have telemetry drop outs on my jets. Thank you, Danny!

Before I run out and purchase a bunch of REX7's for my jets that currently use R3/RSW's plugged in to CortexPro ports A and B, is there any indication from the fine folks at Bavarian Demon that a future update will provide bidirectional data on both ports A and B (and ports 5 and 6)?

Thanks again,
...jim
By directional communication on both ports A and B is not possible due to a hardware restriction. Therefore this is not likely to happen anytime soon. If you’re considering spending money on REX type receivers it is my opinion you should use the REX 12. It’s not that much more money in the grand scheme of things and has longer antennas that you can spread further apart from each other for better path diversity.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:21 AM
JimBrown

Thank you for the info.

I'm going with the REX7's as they are $50 each cheaper (total of $200 less for me) and I don't really need the longer antennas. I appreciate the advice though.

All the best,
...jim
Old 06-18-2020, 08:35 AM
causeitflies

Finally! A clear explanation of why I have telemetry drop outs on my jets. Thank you, Danny!...
Thanks again,
...jim
Yes that does explain why the only one of my jets that experiences dropouts is the one with the Cortex.

Last edited by causeitflies; 06-18-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the info.

I'm going with the REX7's as they are $50 each cheaper (total of $200 less for me) and I don't really need the longer antennas. I appreciate the advice though.

All the best,1
...jim
Not sure what you're planning but you don't need 2 REX7 per airplane. With the REX 7 you can configure E1 (or E2) As Receiver Input and connect an R3 configured for Ex Bus output to it as the Secondary (or clone if you're into that). You only need the REX receiver to allow you to connect a secondary (any secondary rx) via Ex Bus. I just wanted to clarify that since it sounded like you were planning to order 4 REX7s and I wasn't sure if that was for 4 airplanes or 2.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 AM
JimBrown

Hi Wayne.

They are for 4 jets. Secondary RX's will be R3/RSW's.

...jim
Old 06-24-2020, 09:16 AM
Tip22v

I too have been seeing drops in telemetry using a CP and CB200. I’m using a REX 7 but I have the 900 backup receiver plugged into the REX7 and my R3 plugged into port A. I’m assuming that telemetry is prioritized via 2.4 verses 900? (Does telemetry even work over 900?) After reading through Danny’s explanation I’m thinking I should run the 900 backup to port A and plug my R3 into the REX7. Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2g/$55.00 Variometer for Jeti Duplex EX, Multiplex MSB, Graupner HoTT, Futaba S.Bus2 (Due Next Week)

Excellent Solution for Automated Retract using Jeti Telemetry Functions

Micro Vario is a device that measures temperature and atmospheric pressure. Using the obtained data it calculates the Relative/Absolute Altitude and Rate of Climb/Descent. Changes in climb and descent rates are signaled as well. The sensor alerts you if any alarm setting is exceeded. Simply Plug & Play solution for your Jeti, Futaba or Graupner RC System.

The sensor enables an acoustic signal for the climb rate/descent rate or for exceeding of a pre-adjusted limit value. The acoustic signal consists of different tones (steps) for climbing and the same amount of steps for descending. The step width can be adjusted by the user. The climb signal consists of short interrupted tones, the descent signal consists of long permanent tones.

https://www.espritmodel.com/elite-te...ba-s-bus2.aspx

Click image for larger version

Name:	elite-micro-varion.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2267685

Name:	elite-micro-vario4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2267686

Name:	elite-micro-vario5.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2267687

Name:	elite-micro-vario6.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2267688
Old 06-29-2020, 06:18 PM
spaceman 01
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to everyone, over this weekend I had an issue with my Jeti 24.The aircraft was sitting in the sun before Take off for sometime and my CB 200 is located under the cockpit direct to the sunlight, it was hot. So when I was ready and rolling down the runway almost to takeoff all my controls started going to full deflection up and down I cannot control the airplane so I had to outboard which resulted to a small damage . I also want to mention that I have a regular demon unit which was off at the time (red). My question is .Can the heat make the CB 200 to act in this manner? Or what could be the problem?thank you ,Nick
Old 06-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

If you had telemetry logging turned on and you were logging temperature you could see how warm the CB 200 was. That would shed some light on whether temperature was the cause of your trouble .
Old 06-29-2020, 08:27 PM
spaceman 01
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is the max temperature that you can fly or how hot before not flying?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:31 PM
HarryC

Originally Posted by spaceman 01
So what is the max temperature that you can fly or how hot before not flying?
Jeti says the CB200 operational temp range is -20°C to +75°C. That will be the temp of the CB200, not the ambient air temp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.