Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Composite ARF SU27

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Composite ARF SU27

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine has all the servos in it, if you have a specific question about that, I might be able to help. Although Jose (Mave311) would be the best person to talk to IMO. Mine has been put up on a shelf until this winter.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's one thing, the parts bag for the wing has six sections of brass tube in it. No mention of it in the manual. I'm telling myself it's to be cut to the appropriate length and make sleeves over the slat and flap pushrods between the clevises, but with no mention and no pictures showing that, just want to be sure.

I also need the addendum addressing the early kits with the flap control horn recessed too far. Emailed CARF early last week but haven't heard back just yet.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Update manual.
Attached Thumbnails SU 27 Instruction Manual Flap deflection update Ver 01 (2).pdf  
Old 07-18-2017, 05:06 AM
Auburn02

Thanks Dave!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:24 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone has setup them vector thrust pipes yet?
Would like to see how the tail cone covers are protected against heat...
Old 07-19-2017, 03:43 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DelGatoGrande
No protection on mine as the pipe ends after the cone...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5722.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2224992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5723.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2224993  
Old 07-20-2017, 02:44 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey George,

Jump on Facebook and check out Intaircos page. Peter Agnew has a build log on his SU with VT. I think he opened the petals on the tail cone to fit nozzles inside cone.
Pete has done a sensational job customising the plane and is manufacturing a lot of special parts for it.
Well worth a look.

cheers
Levi
Old 07-20-2017, 01:50 PM
DelGatoGrande

thanx guys,yes if pipe ends after the cone its fine...

I worked a fully movable nozzle on my AD SU-37 ...post #116 here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...minator-5.html
Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Auburn02

Does anyone recall if the speed board mount brackets and hardware were included with their kit? I don't see them in the one I've got - not a probably to make something, just curious why that would have been omitted given the quality of the kit contents.

Originally Posted by Peter A
also the main wheels purchased are absolutely terrible quality so upgraded to Behotec wheels and brakes. Main landing gear fit was an issue as well to make sure they fit properly on the rails and clear the skin
I'm waiting for updated gear parts as the kit I'm building has the defective pivot block which causes the axle hub to hit the fuselage skin on retraction/rotation. But the gear leg also contacts the fuselage side with gear down as well, though the new pivot block may correct this spacing too so I'll wait and see.

In the meantime I need to sort out brakes. The gear kit was ordered without the standard DuBro light wheels, and instead there are some mega-heavy solid rubber w/aluminum hubs wheels included. I want to ditch those and go with the light DuBros, as Andreas says they hold up great even after 100+ flights. Plus with the printed hub covers, the look will be just fine. But I'm not sure if the brakes I have are correct and/or compatible with those wheels. Is the rubber brake drum literally just pressing against the plastic hub of the DuBro wheels? Anyone got good detailed pictures of their gear setups?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:57 AM
DrScoles

Are the gear they're selling now updated? I haven't ordered mine yet
Old 08-23-2017, 11:45 AM
DelGatoGrande

Originally Posted by Auburn02

I'm waiting for updated gear parts as the kit I'm building has the defective pivot block which causes the axle hub to hit the fuselage skin on retraction/rotation. But the gear leg also contacts the fuselage side with gear down as well, though the new pivot block may correct this spacing too so I'll wait and see....
Read my post #204 from my experience with the same gear on the Aviation Design SU-37.
I dont think they will ever get it right..just care only that gear is locked and in correct angles when is down.
Cut axle hub if interferes when its up ...

...regarding the Dubro tires..if one will brake away you might risk crashing.I end up making my own

my2c
Old 08-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Auburn02

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Are the gear they're selling now updated? I haven't ordered mine yet
I would assume so. I have a copy of an email from Andreas from late last year where he described the issue, so I think any gear ordered after at least that point would have been corrected.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Auburn02

Read my post #204 from my experience with the same gear on the Aviation Design SU-37.
I dont think they will ever get it right..just care only that gear is locked and in correct angles when is down.
I did read about your gear troubles, but looking at your pictures that is most definitely not the same gear that I have with this kit. Could be both sets were built by Matrix, but the bracket is not at all the same, nor are the linkages. Also the air cylinders in your gear, and the gear shown on Matrix's website are behind the gear - in my set for the CARF SU-27 the cylinders are forward of the rotation point, and underneath (well, technically above) the gear leg when retracted.

Last edited by Auburn02; 08-23-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 PM
skymaster68

Does anyone recall if the speed board mount brackets and hardware were included with their kit? I don't see them in the one I've got - not a probably to make something, just curious why that would have been omitted given the quality of the kit contents.

I'm waiting for updated gear parts as the kit I'm building has the defective pivot block which causes the axle hub to hit the fuselage skin on retraction/rotation. But the gear leg also contacts the fuselage side with gear down as well, though the new pivot block may correct this spacing too so I'll wait and see.

In the meantime I need to sort out brakes. The gear kit was ordered without the standard DuBro light wheels, and instead there are some mega-heavy solid rubber w/aluminum hubs wheels included. I want to ditch those and go with the light DuBros, as Andreas says they hold up great even after 100+ flights. Plus with the printed hub covers, the look will be just fine. But I'm not sure if the brakes I have are correct and/or compatible with those wheels. Is the rubber brake drum literally just pressing against the plastic hub of the DuBro wheels? Anyone got good detailed pictures of their gear setups?
Hey Auburn, I have the dubro wheels on mine with no issues what so ever on the gear installation and wheels quality the install of the LG takes some time but with patience you'll get it done right, one thing I did is switching to 5'' Dubro wheells as the stock 5,5 were to close to the wing skin when retracted, also the smaller wheell is thinner doesnt interfere with the doors as it have more space inside the wheel well area and gives him a little more nose up look... hope this helps you
Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not use these Dubro wheel or these really terrible brakes. I think they are a rip off. Besides how on earth you let a jet roll at high speed on a runway with plastic wheel rims? Jet wheels should have ball bearing equipped rims.
I made a set from Behotec with Behotec brakes since the mains axle is 6mm and used the Intairco nose wheels since the nose axles are imperial and not metric.

Name:	IMG_2115.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	643.4 KB
ID:	2229203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	2229204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2124.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	2229205  
Old 08-24-2017, 05:45 AM
Auburn02

Originally Posted by Peter A
I did not use these Dubro wheel or these really terrible brakes. I think they are a rip off. Besides how on earth you let a jet roll at high speed on a runway with plastic wheel rims? Jet wheels should have ball bearing equipped rims.
I made a set from Behotec with Behotec brakes since the mains axle is 6mm and used the Intairco nose wheels since the nose axles are imperial and not metric.
I think the wheels I have in a box must be Behotecs having looked at them online, but my goodness are they heavy! Have you flown yours yet and any trouble with the gear retracting? All that weight moving against the airflow including a 90 degree rotation has got to be a lot for the air cylinders to handle.

I am going to install the Dubro wheels. Yes it feels wrong, but I'm going to take Andreas' word for it.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:47 AM
DrScoles

What about from wheels glued to metal hubs? I am not keen on the plastic. Thats how my CARF P-51 is, metal hubs and foam tires. Has anyone considered hydraulics?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:57 AM
skymaster68

I think the wheels I have in a box must be Behotecs having looked at them online, but my goodness are they heavy! Have you flown yours yet and any trouble with the gear retracting? All that weight moving against the airflow including a 90 degree rotation has got to be a lot for the air cylinders to handle.

I am going to install the Dubro wheels. Yes it feels wrong, but I'm going to take Andreas' word for it.
Go with 5' you wont regreat...
Old 08-24-2017, 06:35 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, what about 5" ROBART aluminium wheels and brakes. Used them on my mig 29.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 AM
DrScoles

Craig, how finicky was your hydraulic install on the Mig?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 AM
skymaster68

Originally Posted by Craig B.
Hey guys, what about 5" ROBART aluminium wheels and brakes. Used them on my mig 29.
those will be good too I think if they are not to heavy and thinner than dubros 5,5 you'll have enough room to fit when retracted, I think the guys from Intairco are building one with 5' Robart's...
Old 08-24-2017, 03:58 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iany trouble with the gear retracting? All that weight moving against the airflow including a 90 degree rotation has got to be a lot for the air cylinders to handle..
I am using one JetTronics valve per retract unit and 4mm tubing, the struts are too heavy to share air lines especially since they retract forward.
Test flight next week I think.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Craig, how finicky was your hydraulic install on the Mig?
Hey Mike, PITA.....the trouble is getting the residual air out of the lines near the cylinders. No matter how hard you try there will always be a little air in the cylinders that comes out with repeated cycling and in long runs it will just snorkel up and down the lines from the cylinders. I will install a T fitting nearby to bleed off that air but the whole process is very messy. Air all the way unless you absolutely have to go oil IMO.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Auburn02

Guys who are flying this model already, do you have your service items (switches, air fill, fuel fill, fuel shutoff valves) all accessible through the nosecone or do you raise the canopy and remove parts of the cockpit between flights? With no hatches around center ship, been trying to figure out how to lay those items out without creating unnecessarily long runs for everything but there may not be any way to avoid it. As of now I'm looking at having probably 12 or more feet of fuel line per turbine when you consider going from fill port in the nose to UAT near nose gear, then back up front to a shut off valve in the nose before going back to the pump and then turbines.

I have not yet started on the cockpit - once assembled can it be easily removed to access fuel shutoff valves and such if I were to install them around the nose gear mount instead of at the nose cone?
Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 PM
skymaster68

Guys who are flying this model already, do you have your service items (switches, air fill, fuel fill, fuel shutoff valves) all accessible through the nosecone or do you raise the canopy and remove parts of the cockpit between flights? With no hatches around center ship, been trying to figure out how to lay those items out without creating unnecessarily long runs for everything but there may not be any way to avoid it. As of now I'm looking at having probably 12 or more feet of fuel line per turbine when you consider going from fill port in the nose to UAT near nose gear, then back up front to a shut off valve in the nose before going back to the pump and then turbines.

I have not yet started on the cockpit - once assembled can it be easily removed to access fuel shutoff valves and such if I were to install them around the nose gear mount instead of at the nose cone?
Here are some pictures I have of the building process and how I have what you are asking on my SU27.
I have the fuel shut off valves and fuel line under the speed brake unfortunatelly I don't have pictures of that at the moment, switches pwr box screen and air lines in the nose, the cabin is not easy to open all the time, unless you make some modification.. I have a 1/6 pilot made fromm Taylored Pilots

Name:	IMG_5682.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2229914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5180.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2229922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5678.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2229923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5679.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2229924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5680.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2229925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6323.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2229926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6333.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2229927  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.