Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:22 PM
Daz990

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marvellous thanks Xairflyer!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Daz990

Hi all,
After stripping down my JJ1400, I noticed a slight flaw in the turbine (see video).
I'm not sure what caused this but it seems that one of the blades on the turbine is out of line with the others and has been marked in white paint by the previous owner/ servicer.

Given that the turbine has been balanced and does not seem to be scraping against the housing of the NGV, is it worth getting a new one?

Thanks,
Dariusz.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Ian_A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGV erosion

Hi all,

had my jetjoe for a long time, I think had it 2004 when they first got brought to the uk. Anyway, not used it for years, it's done around 10 hrs use and I thought I'd strip it down after reading xairflyer's thread.

question is, I notice heat erosion on the NGV, OK, expect over time I would, but how much is too much ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2219775   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	2219776  
Old 06-13-2017, 02:16 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Daz990
Hi all,
After stripping down my JJ1400, I noticed a slight flaw in the turbine (see video).
I'm not sure what caused this but it seems that one of the blades on the turbine is out of line with the others and has been marked in white paint by the previous owner/ servicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY8_7tV_FpQ

Given that the turbine has been balanced and does not seem to be scraping against the housing of the NGV, is it worth getting a new one?

Thanks,
Dariusz.
I would say it has been like that from manufacture, if it is in balance then should be ok just wont be as efficient as it should
Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 AM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by Ian_A
Hi all,

had my jetjoe for a long time, I think had it 2004 when they first got brought to the uk. Anyway, not used it for years, it's done around 10 hrs use and I thought I'd strip it down after reading xairflyer's thread.

question is, I notice heat erosion on the NGV, OK, expect over time I would, but how much is too much ?
If its only discoloured then just a matter of cleaning it up, only long time effect will be bigger clearances etc, just would change it when noticeable drop in power, but shows how poor quality the metal is as true inconel wont do this so soon.

Whats your shaft like ? normally when they lie up for a while you the shaft starts to corrode
Old 06-13-2017, 02:39 AM
Daz990

Cool thanks a lot Xairflyer!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The turbine wheel more than likely came from the manufacturer like that. If the blade bent like that during normal operation the unit would begin to vibrate badly. If you are concerned about the turbine wheel now then perhaps just change it for piece of mind since JJ sells parts. Either way make sure to re-balance the turbine before you run this again.

Andy

if
Originally Posted by Xairflyer
If its only discoloured then just a matter of cleaning it up, only long time effect will be bigger clearances etc, just would change it when noticeable drop in power, but shows how poor quality the metal is as true inconel wont do this so soon.

Whats your shaft like ? normally when they lie up for a while you the shaft starts to corrode
Old 06-13-2017, 06:53 AM
Ian_A

It's all good, thought I might find the combustion chamber corroded but nope all good. Shaft good too. Light the injectors as you showed and burned equally. Great thread/post xairflyer, been put off stripping it, but your post was very thorough.

NGV has over heat damage, I'm sure, I'll try get a better picture. Funny, but the casting of the NGV has some raised tiny ridge and I'm thinking that's lead to a change in the gas vector which has concentrated the heat, might try and grind that off, it's only tiny, but !

what did you clean the NGV and turbine wheel with?

Also, ANYONE ! I've the old Gaspar fadec with the old black hand held until which has gone belly up. Does the computer USB lead allow monitoring during start etc or has anyone got an old one I can pinch or buy ?

cheers

ian
Old 06-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by afioretti
The turbine wheel more than likely came from the manufacturer like that. If the blade bent like that during normal operation the unit would begin to vibrate badly. If you are concerned about the turbine wheel now then perhaps just change it for piece of mind since JJ sells parts. Either way make sure to re-balance the turbine before you run this again.

Andy

if
Andy my post you quoted was re the heat erosion on the ngv the Ian_A posted not in reply to the turbine wheel question,
Not been on hear for a while, what has happened to this site the reply to post format is just so bad !
Old 06-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Xairflyer

It's all good, thought I might find the combustion chamber corroded but nope all good. Shaft good too. Light the injectors as you showed and burned equally. Great thread/post xairflyer, been put off stripping it, but your post was very thorough.

NGV has over heat damage, I'm sure, I'll try get a better picture. Funny, but the casting of the NGV has some raised tiny ridge and I'm thinking that's lead to a change in the gas vector which has concentrated the heat, might try and grind that off, it's only tiny, but !

what did you clean the NGV and turbine wheel with?

Also, ANYONE ! I've the old Gaspar fadec with the old black hand held until which has gone belly up. Does the computer USB lead allow monitoring during start etc or has anyone got an old one I can pinch or buy ?

cheers

ian
I would just clean up the ngv with fine emery paper and/or a steel wool.
Th gasper fadec data terminals are very common, should be able to pick one up somewhere, they were used on wrens and lots of other turbines, I bought a second hand Kingtech K80 which also has a gasper fadec and was missing its terminal but was able to use my jetjoe one
Bound to be lots of guys out there have a couple lying in boxes, put a post in the classifieds or in the main RCJet forum.

Yes you can plug into a PC/laptop as well been a while since I done it and I do have a lead but where it is ??

Last edited by Xairflyer; 06-13-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:21 AM
Daz990

Hi Ian,

This is what the inside of my NGV looks like for comparison. It's quite nasty but the rest seems to be in good order.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4232.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	2220035  
Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Xairflyer

Must be a bad fit on combustion chamber
Old 06-14-2017, 05:22 AM
Ian_A

Thx for the pic Daz, it's difficult to clean the NGV, could do with a fine blaster haha...rebuilt the turbine this am and semi run it on gas. Not got a HDT so didn't want to give it too much heat as I can't tell the EGT.

xairflyer u sure it's 85-90lbs torque on that Ali compressor nut. I stopped before I got to that seemed it was about to strip !
Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 AM
CRX Turbines

90 lbs OMG no...

Thx for the pic Daz, it's difficult to clean the NGV, could do with a fine blaster haha...rebuilt the turbine this am and semi run it on gas. Not got a HDT so didn't want to give it too much heat as I can't tell the EGT.

xairflyer u sure it's 85-90lbs torque on that Ali compressor nut. I stopped before I got to that seemed it was about to strip !
Old 06-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Xairflyer

Not 90lb its 90in-lb !

Just looked over the thread there seems to be a lot of formatting issues obviously when re-uploaded when RCU decided to wreck its forum layout and why now everyone is over at RCGroups !
So best double check anything looks iffy.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:33 AM
CRX Turbines

Yeoch.. thanks for clarifying.. it is not first time this has come up.

Not 90lb its 90in-lb !

Just looked over the thread there seems to be a lot of formatting issues obviously when re-uploaded when RCU decided to wreck its forum layout and why now everyone is over at RCGroups !
Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Not 90lb its 90in-lb !

Not everyone is over at RCG. Just went there and didn't see anyone the I recognized
Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Ian_A

Hummmm....hope I've not damage to damn nut. Thought 90lbs was a lot ! Big difference haha.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Adrian Lewer

Hi Guy's I thought I would touch base and say Hi, I have a JJ 1400 of which had a bad bearing and starter. I have the new bearing, have installed the new starter ( which melted the starter trace in the ECU I had to jump it ) I am also going to install the 2 piece tail cone and new gas injection tube. Hope it all runs when its back together. Much harder to work on than my TJT 3000. Any info you guys have would be great to know, I am also installing the new shaft tunnel.https://www.flickr.com/photos/156016108@N08/shares/RL8p27IMG_2843<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2846<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2847<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2848<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2849<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2851<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2852<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2853<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2854<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2855<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2856<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2857<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2858<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>IMG_2860<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-16-2017, 11:44 PM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian Lewer
Any info you guys have would be great to know.
I have one info for you, the ecu, besides having my name on it, is not an original ecu, just a chinese copy.

Gaspar
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 PM
Adrian Lewer

Thank you Gaspar, I did notice it was of poor quality, hence the issues with it, do you sell new ones direct to public ? if the ECU is Suspect then I would rather get a new one. I can not remember where I bought the turbine I have had it for years but if I remember I will let you know.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:25 PM
Adrian Lewer

Some more Pics

SANY0042<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>SANY0037-1<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>SANY0035-1<script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by Adrian Lewer; 06-17-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:14 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Man, that's some seriously Frankensteined equipment ya got there! Good for you getting that to actually run, wow.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:00 AM
Daz990

Great pics Adrian, may I ask, where did you get that 2 piece tailcone? Looks awesome!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 AM
Adrian Lewer

Yeah the Turbine is a bit thrashed, will be ok if I keep temps under control now, I got the tail cone from here JetJoe But I can't see it listed anymore, not sure why ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.