Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
chuckels
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

thanks Jason,
will try it ...saw someone else someware that did it.
thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM
knobby1

ORIGINAL: chuckels

thanks Jason,
will try it ...saw someone else someware that did it.
thanks.
Hey Chuck,
Shoot me an email to: [email protected] and we'll see if we can get you sorted.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jason

Hi guys,
I have a new JJR ser #JR078.
can someone tell me what perimeters I need in the REGAL FADEC to get this thing running?

I have tried many different settings for accel decel and stability and it will not continue to run on its own with out the blower.
if I get the rpm up to maybe 125000 and slowly pull the blower away the rpms start to drop and the pump starts to add more fuel but it won't pick up speed than it starts to throw blue flame and quit.
HELP please

Settings won't help. It's just knackered!

Me and a mate had our two back from JJ after the preload was fixed and we ran them today. One lasted 45 seconds before a bearing failed and the other lasted a whole 1 min before it seized solid. Preload seems to be fixed though[img][/img]

Jason
Jason,
Any update on the "renackered" JJJ?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: idleup1

I'll check if they have a fix yet . I'd hate to hurt it as it does run well. I'll complete the plane this weekend. I have some new fuel I'll see if the exaust temp drops. I'd like it <760.
Idleup1...
Any further runs on your JJJ? Flight videos?

Dave
Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

ORIGINAL: jason

Hi guys,
I have a new JJR ser #JR078.
can someone tell me what perimeters I need in the REGAL FADEC to get this thing running?

I have tried many different settings for accel decel and stability and it will not continue to run on its own with out the blower.
if I get the rpm up to maybe 125000 and slowly pull the blower away the rpms start to drop and the pump starts to add more fuel but it won't pick up speed than it starts to throw blue flame and quit.
HELP please

Settings won't help. It's just knackered!

Me and a mate had our two back from JJ after the preload was fixed and we ran them today. One lasted 45 seconds before a bearing failed and the other lasted a whole 1 min before it seized solid. Preload seems to be fixed though[img][/img]

Jason
Jason,
Any update on the ''renackered'' JJJ?

It's on it's way back so I will run it again on Monday

Jason
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Duncan

Can I come and watch it blow up this time mate??
Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM
jason

Yes Dunc but dont be late as I plan to run it at 10.00am so if you turn up at 10.01 then it could be all over[&:]

Jason
Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Duncan

The way it's been so far, if I'm 45 seconds late I'll miss it!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 AM
roadrager996

Frankly i am very dissappointed in the attitute that i have seen in this forum i have been looking to get back into RC Flying in hoping that my 2 young sons would take of interest to the hobby yet i find myself remembering why i slowly drifted away from this wonderful hobby. "what ever happened to the days where you use to go to the airfield and no matter how experienced you were or how crap your gear was everyone was there to have fun,BBQ and give a helping hand"now its more like "i have the Best gear here and your not in my league so you shouldn't be on this field cause your not using the same products asiam "My opion is a handfull of people here bicker like 2 year old kids arguing whos' toys are better. after reading this whole thread just make me think twice about getting back into the hobby. i'm not a smart man but i smart enough to know that i will not have my kids exposed to such rants from grown men and that IHAVEACHOICE! also i'm not a rich man so Value for money is a plus yet a reliable. YES i Drive and Audi A4 Quattro yet my nissan or toyota is more reliable and half the price???? You keep bringing up intelectual theft/copy YET you for get that these minature turbines are a copy in a way from its larger life size counter parts this so called premium products i don't think they are paying royalties to john barber who was the first to patent gas turbines in 1791. So give it a REST and lets ENJOY this fine hobby that we dreamnt of when we were children and love it for what its is. and bring on competitive market cause us AVERAGE JOE work hard for our money and have dreams of flight.
"Break Free From The Essence Of The Earth and TAke Flight!!!"

*this is not intented for any individual nor company just an expression of opinion*
Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
siclick33

AVERAGE JOE
Is that the new improved engine from Jet Joe?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Duncan

i didn't think anyone had been bashing JJ in this thread, nowhere near as much as other threads anyway. The fact that out of 4 people in this thread that have actually bought a JJJ, one is the US importer, One is the Oz importer (iirc) and 2 are brits. The 2 british turbines haven't run for more than 3 minutes each in total yet, that's not bashing a product, it's a fact and one that people considering buying a JJJ, (whether the design was stolen or not) can use in making a decision of which way to go.

IIRC the ozzie jjj was reworked some what before it ran without problems, but i'm not 100% on that.

By all means enjoy your hobby as we do, but before you start defending a product, have a look about and see what the actual reasons are behind peoples reaction to it. If like me, your careful where you spend your hard earned money, you'll make your own rational decision in which direction is going to suit you best.

Enjoy your comeback, i hope your kids get as much out of it as i hope mine will one day

Duncan
Old 07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
jonathang

hi roadrager996 so if thats your point go out get your self a jetjoe and enjoy your flying i look forward to your next post enjoy your flying regards jonathan
Old 07-24-2009, 07:02 AM
jamiechip

i finally got my jj juniour tonight from ausjets the only place to buy one of these if you want one get it built buy a profesional exelent engine starts up really fast idle to 240000 in like 3 seconds super fast the work that bret does with these things is unbeleavable thanks brett

anyone out there wanting one get it throught ausjets !!!!!
http://www.ausjets.com/

also have to thank christian from ausjets for getting it all organised will post some video once i figure out how to put it on youtube
Old 07-25-2009, 03:49 AM
jamiechip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02jXBvKQnDc
Old 07-25-2009, 05:30 AM
jason

That engine seems to be running really well! The max temp I seen was less than 620 deg which is really cool and a whole 200 deg less than mine. Would you mind accurately measuring the tail cone outlet size? Have you managed to measure the thrust? Also how far is the thermocouple pushed in to the cone?

jason
Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 AM
jamiechip

i had the engine assembled buy brett the warranty agent for ausjets the tail cone outlet is stock i will measure for you tommorow your heat issues may be in relation to two things the balancing of the engine from the factory is not satisfactory and the prload on the bearings i beleive plays a mager part if you need any info or you want it done right get in contact with ausjets here in australia and see about sending your engine to brett my original engine only costs me $70 more australian than from the factory and i came to me like that with the new inconel fuel ring and all the mods that brett has found to help like i have said before i really beleive he is the only one to get the engine through !!!! and the thermocoupler is about 1.5mm in as stated from breet to be the best place for it also my engine has a lot of mods to the fadec to make it run like that all work that brett has done and would probably benefit your engine if you need some contact info for brett or ausjets just pm me and ill let you know how to get hold of them !!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:26 PM
frema

Sorry to tell you Jason and Jamiechip ,but the sound of the bearings after stopping the engine is not good , the preload is still not good.

You know i have also a small engine , but the bearing doesnt sound not like this when i stop my engine.

I hope the bearings will last ,but i have my doubt.

But succes with it.

Best regards,

Martin.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I always wonder why people assume that because you sell a particular product, that you're automatically assumed to be willing to bash or dismiss any competing product? Believe it or not, there are plenty of folks who deal one product, and think (and are willing to state) that the other product is a FINE PRODUCT. I, for one, have been doing that for many years on RCU.

As far as the bashing goes, I've remained silent about JJ for the above reasons, but I do have to say this: More is at stake than the potential lost sale to a competitor. If, and I'm saying IF there is a cheap, knock-off engine that doesn't work reliably, then as a modeler and a guy who is rightfully protective of his ability to fly turbines in the U.S., I should be concerned! As a waiver-holder and a CD, shouldn't I NOT want my fellow modelers to fly something with a questionable performance record when it has so many liabilities and implications on MY ability to fly my jets....not to mention potentially MY safety?

My $.02
Old 07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
jamiechip

yes and i supose that you have one aswell and you really know how well they work !!!! but hay if something works and it cost half the amount straight away its crap !!! but i supose you all know best
Old 07-25-2009, 11:08 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,

I have a JJ1400 that works fine now. That is all that matters to me.....IT works and I received value for what I paid. Are other better value for more money? Maybe, My Behotec blows away the JJ1400 at twice the price.

To be fair...I probably won't put my JJ1400 in an expensive scale plane. But, it is great in a trainer/sport plane. Engine matches the planes value. It is a matter of expectations. AND, THE INTENDED USE. Fun in a sport plane, OK. In a 10K scale job, I wouldn't

My twoonies worth,
DW_Crash
Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 AM
jamiechip

exatly how i feal 2gs worth of turbine compared to the next closest thing 5gs and all for a $100 foiam plane i know wich way im going ill save my extra cash for the next scale project where i do intend to buy a top quality turbine
Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 PM
knobby1

ORIGINAL: frema

Sorry to tell you Jason and Jamiechip ,but the sound of the bearings after stopping the engine is not good , the preload is still not good.

You know i have also a small engine , but the bearing doesnt sound not like this when i stop my engine.

I hope the bearings will last ,but i have my doubt.

But succes with it.

Best regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
The sound of the bearings is similar to the engine I have and it has many hours actual run time, I think it sounds a lot worse on the video than it actually is, the bearings are still smooth and free. I think it's just the Junior's which sound like this, the other JJ's don't. I have set the pre-load to 30-35n and the new wave washer holds this load quite well. I've tested the load several times with the new washers and have noticed negligable change after several heat cycles.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
frema

Thank you for the info Smithy.

The engine run beautiful , but when it stops the sound then ,i dont like it., but like you say it good be the camera
How many hours did you test it in very hot conditions ?

Wow 30 to 35N , i have the 40rs engine , and its only a bit bigger 62MM , it produce 2.7 kg now , but i dont use 30N or more , it only needs 15N , and thats how i run with it for almost 70 hours.

full trottle about 40 hours .
I just want to test it , because when the 4 engine coming on one tractor , it has to be good , with no problem.

But ok ,if you say that it realy needs the 30 to 35N i believe you .

Good luck with it.

Best regards,

Martin.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 PM
knobby1

Hi Martin,

I asked the guys at GRW bearings for some information regarding the pre-load for such small bearings, they recommended like you, ~15-25n, however, they were not aware that the engine runs at 240k, so they suggested a little more pre-load for rpm's in excess of 200-210k, so I took their advice. I believe a little expansion of the shaft tunnel due to heat is also happening, only a small amount though, ~0.002", so it shouldn't have a great effect on the pre-load.

All we really need to do is load the bearings sufficiently to combat the balls skidding in the races, this, combined with poor balance and poor lubrication is what kills the bearings very quickly. For the Junior's I try to get less than 1mg-in on both planes for the balance, this will help prolong the bearing life. Mind you, spinning at nearly 1/4 million rpm is enough to do my head in....that's 4000 revs per second!! No wonder the bearings have a hard time.

I didn't run this particular engine all that long, maybe 30mins total, but I did put quite a few cycles on it during that time. It's winter here so the conditions are pretty good. Starts are easy, running is smooth and accels are quick, Jamie's temps are ~20c lower than when I tested it but it could just be how far the thermocouple is inserted into the tailpipe, either way it wasn't running hot at all, even at dusk all we had was a dull cherry red glow on the tailpipe at full noise.... so the EGT's are pretty good..!

Cheers,
Smithy.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:01 PM
jason

I managed to get some time to run my JJJ for the first time since it has come back from the factory. Although it did run it was way too hot. Even at idle the wheel was red in daylight and when running at a higher RPM it was bright orange. It was 850 at idle and although I stood well back as I accelerated it I know it was getting to near 1000 deg because the ECU was holding it back. I might just stick it on a plane and hope it lasts for a flight.

here’s a pic at 100k (idle)

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26664.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1256091  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.